I am starting a fast...any stories or tips?

Options

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to Dr Oz website for tips on fasting or 48 cleansing. You are cleaning your system liver, colon and kidney but not getting weak at the same time. My mother does it once a month. I'm going to do my first one this weekend. It's called 48 hour cleansing.

No. Sorry. Just no.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5nN5YqAnLudW-DfQRwsGQpk8kdKMFtJIXdIYSy_aQf5gIAJIw
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    My advice...don't do it. Please. This woman did, and I would not call her results successful.

http://forum.fitnessthroughfasting.com/showthread.php/2093-Michelle-s-40-Day-Water-Fast
    i am speechless....how can someone be so stupid and put their own body through that! her body was clearly telling her something was wrong and to stop wtv she was doing but no "I am so close to 40" sounded more like "this will make me thin and if I listen to my body I will remain fat"

cause you know eating healthy and moving more is so difficult....i mean hell if she has the willpower to starve herself for 40 days she can commit to a healthy lifestyle.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My advice...don't do it. Please. This woman did, and I would not call her results successful.

http://forum.fitnessthroughfasting.com/showthread.php/2093-Michelle-s-40-Day-Water-Fast

This woman may have lost 42 pounds, but she stopped posting in her journal at day 40. She said she was going to keep posting until day 61 as she juiced and then did the "Daniel fast." She never posted again, probably because she binged and gained the weight back.

Or she stopped posting because she died.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I am starting a water fast today and was wondering if anyone has ever tried one

.what kid of success anyone has had, or any advice you could give me....anything helps! Thank you :)
    Jesus did that for 40 days once. Bible scholars note that after this point he was able to rebuke the devil and began his public ministry which lasted for approximately 3 years.

19459603739078511.jpg

The success of this venture depends on your viewpoint of Christianity.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Was just going to post this.

OMG I just finished reading this... severe medical issues, gout and she still stuck it out and then planned to juice fast.. good grief.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're just winding up that yo-yo again to me.

Also, why would you punish your beautiful body that way? Punishing yourself to gain discipline went out with medieval monks.
    Don't do it.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    it is yo-yo-ing....i know....i just cant even fit into my clothes right now and need a fast fix...that is my biggest concern right at the moment

There is NO, ZIP, ZERO fast fix..... All it is doing is enhancing the whole yo yo lifestyle.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    The OP has not said WHY she is starting a water-fast. Nor is water-fasting a supported means of weight-loss on MFP. However, people jump from water-fast ....all the way over to "starvation" and "eating-disorder". And water-fasting is neither.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    The OP has not said WHY she is starting a water-fast. Nor is water-fasting a supported means of weight-loss on MFP. However, people jump from water-fast ....all the way over to "starvation" and "eating-disorder". And water-fasting is neither.

Reading comprehension is not a strong suit, huh?
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The OP has not said WHY she is starting a water-fast.
    Asked and answered on the first page.
  • craig_80
    craig_80 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am starting a water fast today and was wondering if anyone has ever tried one....what kid of success anyone has had, or any advice you could give me....anything helps! Thank you :)
    ♥Lacey

No, just no. Seriously, no.

You don't have the experience or the knowledge. It's true you probably won't die, however a fast this long can be devastating if you have some sort of underlying medical issue. If you are insistent on trying this, you need to go to a doctor before you start, you need to see that doctor during your fast, you need a support system in place during your fast, and you sure as hell shouldn't be starting with a 2 week fast. The only good news is you will almost certainly break before you pass 3 days.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Okay, yes.
    So you are motivated to lose weight. But MFP does not support fasting as a means of weight-loss!
    And your original OP I already answered.
    I would also like to add that using the MFP methods will instill the discipline you seek, as well as the habits you need to sustain healthy weight and habits. Don't fast if you don't know what you are doing, with weightloss as your only motive.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Been there; did a 3-day water fast for spiritual reasons. It was exceedingly difficult! I didn't have a scales back in those days so I have no idea how much weight I lost in 3 days, but the day I started eating again I wanted doubles on everything, including things I don't even like.

Believe me, any pounds you lose will be right back as soon as you break the fast, and they will probably bring friends.
  • misstammy123
    misstammy123 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am starting a water fast today and was wondering if anyone has ever tried one....what kid of success anyone has had, or any advice you could give me....anything helps! Thank you :)
    ♥Lacey

I was on a liquid diet fast for about 11 days and it was hellish. Firstly a liquid diet is different to a water fast- do you mean you are going to juice fruit and veg as I did or will you just simply drink water and not consume any calories?
    If you are going to not eat solid food either way it can be risky for a number of reasons
    1. You may well not get that burst of energy that everybody talks about at day 7and you will continue to feel soooo tired
    2. You may well constantly feel like your blood sugar is very low and this will in turn lead to....
    3. severe headaches not to mention...
    4. fasting like this is dangerous for the digestive system and undoubtedly will mess with your bathroom visits I.E you will need to be at a toilet constantly or you won't go for a week and end up being in extreme pain (like me) thus adding to a bloated tummy issue at time of the month.
    5. There is not really any need as in my opinion if you are doing it to shed pounds then initially you will but it will only be water weight and anything thereafter will be slow as your metabolic rate slows way down

If you are simply wanting to shed weight then simple healthy eating and consistent exercise will be more effective!

But the above is just my opinion and my own experiences so I wish you well on your journey whatever you choose to do!!!
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    Okay, yes.
    So you are motivated to lose weight. But MFP does not support fasting as a means of weight-loss!
    And your original OP I already answered.
    I would also like to add that using the MFP methods will instill the discipline you seek, as well as the habits you need to sustain healthy weight and habits. Don't fast if you don't know what you are doing, with weightloss as your only motive.

Never heard of IF?
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Yes, Intermittent Fasting. Not the same as a total water-fast, lasting for a day or more.
  • misstammy123
    misstammy123 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Been there; did a 3-day water fast for spiritual reasons. It was exceedingly difficult! I didn't have a scales back in those days so I have no idea how much weight I lost in 3 days, but the day I started eating again I wanted doubles on everything, including things I don't even like.

Believe me, any pounds you lose will be right back as soon as you break the fast, and they will probably bring friends.

totally agree I gained a kilo back and I also looked like I was 8 months pregnant, which I don't normally! I could have ate anything...
  • MinMin97
    Options
    If you don't have self-control before a fast, you probably won't have self-control after a fast.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you don't have self-control before a fast, you probably won't have self-control after a fast.

..which kind of defeats the second of the two purposes given by the OP.
  • nomeejerome
    Options

OK. Got it. You are the self-proclaimed expert on this subject and will continue to encourage dangerous behaviors the OP was (and probably still will) attempt and will continue to go back and forth about it. Got it. Have fun with that.