I think my coworker is trying to sabotage me

Options
124»

Replies

• Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Personnally, I would have eaten the slice of cake.

1) They only serve cake in joyous occasions (birthdays, weddings, baptisms, etc.). To me, refusing cake is refusing the joy in life. But I have to admit I also have a sweet tooth, so I'd say anything to enable myself to have cake.

2) I put a lot of effort in my weight loss journey. Which means that a single piece of cake isn't going to ruin weeks of effort. It will if I let it (let's say that one piece was so good, I indulge myself and selfishly eat the entire thing). But it won't cause I've worked a lot along the way on increasing my self discipline.

3) I don't have to eat the entire slice.

^This!^

Also, this sounds suspiciously like somebody being thoughtful. He had a celebration and wanted to share it with you. He brought cake. He remembered you were working hard and made sure it was a small piece....

Eat it or don't. I would be more concerned about why you're seeing "sabotage" in in a small gesture of kindness/friendship.
  • lrstratto
    lrstratto Posts: 1
    Options
    Your doing this for yourself. Its a good thing you took the cake. Dont fret you can eat 1/2 and save the other half for another day. But dont do this on a regular basis. If that is what you call it, I cheat sometimes but with this program I can honestly keep focused. Be good to yourself. You can go all the way and do this. Wishing you the best!
  • josyk7
    josyk7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would have ate it and adjusted my day from there. Its not like your eating the whole cake anyways everything in moderation right?!! If you deprive yourself on food you want you will end up eating other thing to make up for it and plus!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow a friend of mine from work turns 50. He has booked the day off but as a surprise his manager brought him in a large cake. We do not work in the same department but we do work closely together. Being as he is a great guy he thought of me and he brought me a piece of cake, which is very thoughtful of him.

I thanked him for the slice of cake (albeit a small slice) but now it is sitting on my desk taunting me. Do I eat this piece of cake? What do I do? How would you handle this? I would eat it by my day is nearly flawless for eating and completely planned out.
    FIFY
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

(Actually, I personally love ridiculous sugary frosting so I would probably eat that and toss the cake. hehe)

Haha me too!! I always eat the cake first and save the frosting for last. And when people throw their frosting out and say "they hate frosting" I permanently shun them from my life.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow a friend of mine from work turns 50. He has booked the day off but as a surprise his manager brought him in a large cake. We do not work in the same department but we do work closely together. Being as he is a great guy he thought of me and he brought me a piece of cake, which is very thoughtful of him but the thing is he knows I am trying to lose weight and he knows that I am working really hard at it.

I thanked him for the slice of cake (albeit a small slice) but now it is sitting on my desk taunting me. Do I eat this piece of cake? What do I do? How would you handle this? I would eat it by my day is nearly flawless for eating and completely planned out, I feel like he is trying to sabotage my efforts.

EAT THAT CAKE! EAT THAT CAKE! If it was german chocolate I would've asked for a bigger slice. That and sweet potato pie are my only weaknesses. Any other cake I would've hid it in my drawer and then tossed it.

A few weeks back a friend was having a function and had cupcakes. OMG they were NASTY! I wrapped it in napkins and put it in my pocket, went to the bathroom and threw it away. Yes I handled it like my inner 6 year old self would!
  • sassyd99
    sassyd99 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow a friend of mine from work turns 50. He has booked the day off but as a surprise his manager brought him in a large cake. We do not work in the same department but we do work closely together. Being as he is a great guy he thought of me and he brought me a piece of cake, which is very thoughtful of him.

I thanked him for the slice of cake (albeit a small slice) but now it is sitting on my desk taunting me. Do I eat this piece of cake? What do I do? How would you handle this? I would eat it by my day is nearly flawless for eating and completely planned out.
    FIFY

and I can kick, stretch, and kick!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

FIFY

and I can kick, stretch, and kick!!!

wait-- what? what did I just write? I thought FIFY meant Fixed It For You, no?
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You are the only one who can sabotage you. If the cake or thought of it makes you feel bad, than toss it. If you want to eat it, eat it!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    If it's bothering you, then throw it away.

I don't believe he was sabotaging you. Yes, you may have told him you were watching your calories, but people don't go around thing about you watching your calories like you do. He probably forgot or shoved it in the back of his mind. People don't have our weight loss journeys on the forefront of their minds like we do.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    hit him in the face with it a la 3 stooges
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I just don't know if it will cause me to binge at all. I liike to think I have my eating under control but you never know maybe this one piece of cake will throw me into a downward spiral and i will end up in a very serious battle with a sugar addiction. I do not want an addiction like that to take over my life.

Unfortunatly it is a store bought cake, which is not as good as a homemade cake.

As a general rule I allow splurges but I try to make them count. There were so many times I ate cake or something else and it was of sub par quality and aftewards I was like I wasted all those calories on that for nothing.
    That being said everything in moderation, so I don't think one small piece of cake will blow everything unless you can't end it there. If you can't definately throw it away. My opinion on the coworker? They were just trying to be nice, it probably never occured to them that giving you cake would cause you so much torment. Some people never think twice about food.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I hope I am never of the mindset that I would even think twice about something as trivial as this. If A coworker of mine, whom I thought well of, thought enough of me to bring me A piece of his birthday cake... you know, trying to include me, I would eat it right then and with frosting still on my face thank them and say Happy Birthday!!! OP, Im not beating you up, but I do think you are over thinking this a little bit. Lighten up.......its cake.....eat it.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Flushing cake down a toilet is an awesome experience.

I wanna try!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Just say.... Geee thanks, but no thanks. It WAS NICE that you thought of me thou... Maybe you should have a second piece Mr........

Quick, throw it away....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Flushing cake down a toilet is an awesome experience.

I wanna try!

Me too.
    Although I suspect not as satisfying as pills.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow a friend of mine from work turns 50. He has booked the day off but as a surprise his manager brought him in a large cake. We do not work in the same department but we do work closely together. Being as he is a great guy he thought of me and he brought me a piece of cake, which is very thoughtful of him but the thing is he knows I am trying to lose weight and he knows that I am working really hard at it.

I thanked him for the slice of cake (albeit a small slice) but now it is sitting on my desk taunting me. Do I eat this piece of cake? What do I do? How would you handle this? I would eat it by my day is nearly flawless for eating and completely planned out, I feel like he is trying to sabotage my efforts.

EAT THAT CAKE! EAT THAT CAKE! If it was german chocolate I would've asked for a bigger slice

I have to agree with this. If it was German chocolate, the appropriate response was to hand him back the piece and go bury your face in the larger cake.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'll save you by throwing myself on the cake!
  • OatmealFreak
    OatmealFreak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The Cake is a Lie

Exactly.
  • terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I hope I am never of the mindset that I would even think twice about something as trivial as this. If A coworker of mine, whom I thought well of, thought enough of me to bring me A piece of his birthday cake... you know, trying to include me, I would eat it right then and with frosting still on my face thank them and say Happy Birthday!!! OP, Im not beating you up, but I do think you are over thinking this a little bit. Lighten up.......its cake.....eat it.

this exactly-
    i guess i should feel real fortunate that food does not have this kind of power over me.
    i would eat it if i wanted it and love it, or i would trash it if i didnt - its just food.