Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and postmenopausal. I've also lost almost half the excess weight I've carried around for years, and am literally stronger than I've ever been after a year of working out. With the amount of exercise I get now I do think I could have lost much more in this amount of time if I had worked this hard when I was younger, but I'm just happy to have made the lifestyle changes I really needed to make! Earlier today I posted before and after pics from my year on MFP. We can do this at any age if we are willing to work for it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052548-one-year-on-mfp-and-77-pounds-down-with-pictures

:drinker: :love: :love: :love: :heart: :love: :love: :love: :drinker:
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    bump
  • Becksga
    Becksga Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump to read later. Congrats ladies :)
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Don't give up - I'm still a work in progress, but this is my 'status update' blog post for my 1 year anniversary (which is today!!!) - I've lost 78lbs so far with 21 to go....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Bella_Figura/view/what-a-difference-a-year-makes-556168 (lots of pictures!!!)
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm healthier and feel better than I did at 24! First photo I was 24 years old, 2nd was just a couple weeks ago at 40 years old. I feel fabulous! I'm a runner and weigh less now than I did in my younger years, I think losing weight and running has made me healthier than ever. Do what I do...add pigtails and a tutu! That always helps! LOL!

434d5afd-b5e9-45e7-b226-f964dd45b1a8.jpg
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm healthier and feel better than I did at 24! First photo I was 24 years old, 2nd was just a couple weeks ago at 40 years old. I feel fabulous! I'm a runner and weigh less now than I did in my younger years, I think losing weight and running has made me healthier than ever. Do what I do...add pigtails and a tutu! That always helps! LOL!

434d5afd-b5e9-45e7-b226-f964dd45b1a8.jpg

Love the pics! Think I'll add pigtails next! You look great!
    I'm 51 and though I didn't need to lose too much weight, about 1 stone. I started eating healthier and adding juicing to my diet, which has really helped. I started jogging (or more like slogging)
    Just take it day by day, even small changes can make a big difference
    halloween.jpg
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    51 years old here. As my ticker says, I've lost 72 pounds so far, since the Beginning of January. I have around 50 to go.
  • carrieanthony
    carrieanthony Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to look like a 20 yo at 45, then yes, throw in the towel. But if your goal is to be fit and healthy, and look as good as you can, then hang on to the towel and use it to mop the sweat off your face as you workout.

I am 51. Last year I lost 27 lbs. I've been maintaining it since. It is harder now, but not impossible. I don't look like I did when I was 20, 30 or even 40. But I look d**** good for a 51 yo grandma!!!

Ummmm, I may not look like a 20 yo and I'm 43 but take a gander at my profile picture. I most certainly don't look my age. Now, my BEFORE picture?? Hell yeah, I looked my age and then some probably. Since I discovered lifting in addition to my cardio, it has made a *WORLD* of difference!! I've lost 30 pounds in the past 2 1/2 months or so and I'm just still plugging away. BEST of luck to you!! You'll get there. :)
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hypatia67
    hypatia67 Posts: 12
    Options
    bump
  • rdrkc
    rdrkc Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 44 with a birthday coming on September 24th :smile: I think you do look amazing! Single mother of two and that beautiful smile on your face. You have all ready made it!

I have four biological children and seven in total that I call my own. They bring me joy (okay, sometimes they bring me other things :wink: They also keep me very busy.

I think that for the mature mother, the biggest challenge is that many are at a point where you have been putting others before yourself for so long that it is hard to understand that making the time to take care of yourself, prepare healthy food for yourself and not just your kids, make sure you get exercise and not just send the kids out to sport is that hardest part. Many women I know get so family focus and for lack of a better description (service oriented) that we forget that making sure we are healthy, fit and happy is likely the greatest service we can provide to our family.

After all the happier and fit we are, the more we can do :tongue:

I used to be well of 300lbs. I lost 160lbs over an 18month period. I remember being so worried that I would have huge skin wings under my arms and flaps of skin all over. I was surprised how well the skin did bounce back. I'm not saying it was smooth perfection, but most of it was in the general location that I expected and wanted it to be :happy:

Right now I've put on 60lbs. I got hurt at work and then had some problems gallbladder/liver/uterus (good times) :ohwell:

I've got things on the road to recover am moving my treadmill back upstairs to take up residence in the t.v. room. I find this site really helps. I like the set up of it and recording my food is making me pay more attention and think about what I'm doing.

I on't know if this is inspirational to you, but I know that you were inspirational to me, as are all of the women who are going boldly into the new adventure that is age.

All the best!
  • angash1966
    angash1966 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have 5 children. the last two were twins. i have never lost any of the belly fat from being pregnant. i was 210 at th end of may before i began mfp. now iam at 193 and still going .dont giveup this wil work. my childrn have a wii so i got the wii ft and i do 30 minutes every morning then i go fora 30 mintue walk.i also drink 48oz of a detox water that consist of cucumber,lemon and mit leave evey day. i have not eaen a fried foods since i began. i am feeling great . keep going and good luck to all.
  • tommyswoman
    Options
    This is the most helpful post I've read so far on here. Thank you!
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Not successful yet, but I turned 40 a few months ago and realizing how much harder it is to drop some weight than it was in my 20's. I've been heavy all my life and over 300 lbs for almost 15 years. No children, I'm not sure if I can, I have a lot of hormonal issues but I don't think I've hit menopause just yet. I wouldn't want to have a baby at this unhealthy weight anyway. If I only considered much harder it would be to lose weight as I got older, I would have been more determined! I guess I just wasn't ready back then, and even now, with the added stress of back pain, leg pain, constant tiredness, I am still having a hard time proving to myself that I want to be healthy. I lost a little at first after joining MFP, then nothing for months even eating OK and exercising. So I went back to my old bad habits for a couple weeks. Still no change in weight but I definitely feel worse than when I was eating a little better. I've decided that I'm not doing this for my looks as much as the way I feel. Your post is 8 moths old, I hope you have had some success since then!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    59 years old here, and 43 pounds lot since the beginning of this year. I faced the exact same fears; I thought it might be impossible. Boy, was I wrong! Joining MFP and keeping a diary were key for me; I think I was doing a very good job of fooling myself before about how much I was eating! Getting that saggy-baggy look was starting to be an issue, but then I decided that it was time to stop pretending the daily walks, occasional hikes and once-a-week therapeutic yoga were good enough exercise; I bought some DVDs and stepped it up, and things started shaping up more nicely. I'm not going to look like I'm 25 again, but that's OK with me. I've gone from size 22 pants to 14s....till have some to go, but so far I moved from "severly obese" to the upper levels of "overweight." Huge difference.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    And I wish I had a "Like" button for so many of the wonderful stories here! Love a forum discussion full of sincere and supportive people, and no snark!
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I looked in the mirror this morning and thought , Hmmm what if I look old... Then I thought oh well ....what if I don't !

looking forward to weighting less than 200 pounds !

Amy
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    There is a group here called women age 50+ although I'm sure any other woman would be welcomed with open arms also. You just have to post to join. Some of our talking is about eating but a lot of it is about being one great big family having a chat about anything women need to talk about. We are a big support for each other in all aspects of our lives or maybe you want it to be diet only. Some people are intimidated with the fact that some of them have been there fo so long they make little individual responses. My heavens, U could never remember their names and what they last posted about. I just enjoy talking with them. There are so many victories in our lives because of our life style changes that need to be rejoiced it doesn't all have to be about food. Come and join us.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    In my 50's I lost 45 lbs took 1.5 yrs to do it but it took me about 12 yrs to put it on, so I was happy with the results. I did it in full on menopause status. With no HRT. The more weight I lost, the fewer problems I had with mood swings, hot flashes, etc. My husband even congratulated me for not making him suffer like some of the guys he knew going through it with their wives.

But I did gain 40 lbs back over the last 3 years, high stress at work triggered it. I'm 64 now.

Now I plan on losing that again in a year. before I was not using an tracking, I was on WW for the last 25 lbs, but I have always sucked at tracking, but MFP makes it so easy, I find I am actually very good at it now.

Plan your work and work your plan you will lose it. Lots of women at WW had done it during, peri/or post menopause, you can too.

But no your not going to be 30 again, sorry.
    I liked the comment earlier about holding on to the towel to wipe the sweat :bigsmile:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    59 years old here, and 43 pounds lot since the beginning of this year. I faced the exact same fears; I thought it might be impossible. Boy, was I wrong! Joining MFP and keeping a diary were key for me; I think I was doing a very good job of fooling myself before about how much I was eating! Getting that saggy-baggy look was starting to be an issue, but then I decided that it was time to stop pretending the daily walks, occasional hikes and once-a-week therapeutic yoga were good enough exercise; I bought some DVDs and stepped it up, and things started shaping up more nicely. I'm not going to look like I'm 25 again, but that's OK with me. I've gone from size 22 pants to 14s....till have some to go, but so far I moved from "severly obese" to the upper levels of "overweight." Huge difference.

Wow this is great, congrats on your success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!