Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Between Instagram and people-watching at restaurants, I notice that parents will make healthy decisions for themselves, but order deep-friend/fatty foods for their own kids. Why is that?

Deep-fried foods = trash?

WTH?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    So much judgement in one little thread. Whatever happened to minding your own business? I say this generally, not just to the OP. And feeding my kids pizza is child abuse? M'kay.

My kids aren't allowed to go over 1200 calories and I don't let them eat their baseball/trampoline/bikeriding/etc calories back.

1268873202badmother.gif
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to get kids to eat " healthy" I don't we're it comes from but it's programmed into their heads !! My children and I eat the same thing , I eat healthy and they will either eat it or go hungry , but I do mix it up for them , When I was a child there was NOOOO junk in the house which is great but when I went off on my own I binged on foods I was taught to never have , so in my home those junk foods aren't off limits I just teach my children that they ARE NOT food !! And not something we have everday or even every other day ....kids should be allowed to have ice cream , candy and whatever from time to time ...being a parent you have to be extremely creative , find ways to cook certain veggies that they will actually eat ! I find my kids LOVE baked broccoli but won't touch steamed ??? Weird ...chicken is always a safe food for my kids , I put it in sauce , roll ups etc. when we go out to eat it usually is something a bit more sinister but just like us adults going out to eat is a treat and usually involves eating something we normally wouldn't serve at our own table :) but I may go a healthier choice for myself at a restaurant because I'm the only one with the weight issue so seems to me I've used up all my cheat days so to speak ;)
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that just because a kid is overweight does not mean that their parent does not care and is feeding them crap. Often times the kid has eyes bigger than what their calorie needs are and as they get older and are feeding themselves...it just adds to the issues. I have been trying to help my daughter lose weight for YEARS. She's 11 now. We talk about food and portion control and how to balance out meals with protein, veg, dairy, fruit at every opportunity. Its not secret why she's overweight. She eats portions bigger than she should when I'm not there to monitor. She was fixing a snack yesterday afternoon...I came in the kitchen. She had a glass of milk that she was getting ready to put some ovaltine in that was at least two servings, a bag of nuts that was about 250calories, and a piece of fruit. That snack alone had I not intervened would have been 700 calories. Good choices...bad portion sizes.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I remember pre-children...when I was perfect, thin, a professional coach, super active and had to eat an excess of calories simply to keep my weight up. I clearly remember being in McDonald's judging an overweight family and saying to my husband "we are NEVER going to feed our children like that!" I had McDonald's once while I pregnant with my first and I felt such guilt that I had somehow damaged him with that going through my bloodstream.

Fast forward 10 years. Now have 4 kids. We went through McDonald's drivethru just yesterday because I was in a hurry. For my 10-year olds birthday, he wanted two McDonalds 2 cheeseburger meals for lunch. The little skinny bugger (he's a competitive swimmer) ate 4 cheeseburgers and 2 large fries in about 5 mins. It was disgusting and if you had seen me parenting that day, I would have been labelled a horrible parent. But he will also eat the same amount of salmon or chicken breast or broccoli or grapefruit and all the "healthy" stuff we eat at home. That's what my kids do. All 4 are skinny as can be but they eat non-stop. And if I don't want hysterical, hungry children on my hands, I will feed them crap if that is what is around when I haven't planned well...like yesterday.

#1 rule I learned as a parent - NEVER say NEVER...because I will evidently look like an *kitten* at some future point.
  • Chellody22
    Chellody22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What has having a child got to do with the food choice? Parents are the ones buying it..... if the child refuses to eat what they are told to eat then they go without.

Anyone who says ' I'm guessing you dont have children then' is using poor parenting choices as an excuse. YOU Are the adult...not your child. YOU are the one buying it,.... not your child. YOU are the one who makes the decision on what they eat...not your child.

Stop making excuses.

Teaching our children moderation when they are allowed to eat what they want when we go out to eat maybe once every month or two is a poor parenting choice? :noway:
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bottom line here kids need their parents to teach them what REAL FOOD is ...their should be no diet food Involved unless your kids are being served slim fast !! Which would just be RIDICULOUS, kids need to understand food is made to fuel us and what you eat will either slow you down or perk u up...Lyell a kid she will run faster than super man if she eats here brocooli spears and baked chicken ....he/she will probably eat it ;)
  • Chellody22
    Options
    From people watching at amusement parks and playgrounds, I noticed that parents never force their kids to do homework.

Lol!
  • Chellody22
    Options
    When I was a kid, my family very rarely ate out, and never at fast food places. We had meat, much of it hunted or homegrown, homegrown vegetables from Dad's garden, and I ate what my parents ate, period, there was no separate meal for the kid. I loved vegetables from childhood on, despite the fact that Mom cooked all veggies until soft. The only things I learned to hate were fried fish and canned tuna. --- Now I'm curious. Why do parents let their kids eat fast food and fried stuff? Why would the kids be allowed to make the decision? Is it just to avoid arguing with them about what they will eat? Wouldn't it be best to tell the kids you'll eat healthy food, you don't have a choice? Would somebody be kind enough to inform me?

Because some parents are the worst kind of parents who have no idea how to just say NO to their kids

Or because some parents want to teach their children moderation.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Between Instagram and people-watching at restaurants, I notice that parents will make healthy decisions for themselves, but order deep-friend/fatty foods for their own kids. Why is that?

If we're talking about what they're eating at restaurants, it's entirely possible the parents simply don't restrict what their children can order. My mother always watched what my brother and I ate while we were growing up and she told us "Untill you're 18, you and your bodies are my responsibility to be sure you're healthy". That meant that we ate balanced meals at home, to include our vegetables. But when we went out, she didn't say what we could or could not eat.

These parents may be doing the same thing- continuing their own healthy habits while letting the kids eat what they want. In that case, the only potential issue is how regular going out to eat is with that family.
  • Liinzee123
    Options
    My kids will eat most of what I eat at home including tilapia, tofu and selected veggies, lol...when we go out they are free to choose their dinner cause they're kids and they enjoy their French fries and chicken strips and of course a trip to the ice cream store!
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    First let me say I'm a mother of 4 and step mother to 3. The excuses to feed kids garbage on here are just amazing...picky eaters, that's all they have on the kids menu. Blah, blah blah... Hey guess what, you don't HAVE to order from the kids menu, you can *gasp* order them something a bit more healthy from the adult menu and split it between you and them, since we all know the portion sizes at restaurants are way too big. So why is it all the picky children only live in the US or the overindulged European nations? How is it a Asian child can eat vegetables, lean meats and rice, but an american child has a special tongue that can't handle it? I lived in the Phillippines when I was 8-12 years old and the things my young tongue ate would just blow your mind. Squid, fish head soup, stir fry, etc and I liked it. I was taught you eat what is given to you or don't eat at all, which my kids are taught now too. My 3 year old and 5 year old love baked fish, beans, quinoa, asparagus, greek yogurt, etc...all the things I eat. Making excuses is just lazy parenting if you ask me. It's an epidemic of lazy, spoiled over indulged people turning their children into the same thing.
  • Stacey_Leeann
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I can't imagine kids are all that complaint with healthy eating. I'd definitely mind your own business on this one.

For sure!
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    It is nice to see so many responses from parents with balance. I don't have children, but i am thankful for my parents * introducing me to healthy food while young. There are many people my age who ate next to no vegetables growing up, and now think of a vegetable side as mac and cheese. I am glad that I actually like healthy food, and can also treat myself to less healthy food when I want it. I crave kale as much or more often than I crave ice cream. Right now I'm craving okra (fried, baby).

*aside from the six months or so we were "fruitatarians", but the parents have since apologized for that, lol.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but when I do they're going to eat what I give them and like it.

But then when that doesn't work and they throw a temper tantrum, I am definitely bringing them to McDonald's to shut them up and give myself some piece and quiet. Not going to be an everyday thing though, I've seen some parents that will literally spoil their kids with junk food, and that's just not good at all in my opinion. Just gonna make sure they go out and run it off so a. they don't get chubby (been there as a little kid - sucks) and b. they pass out when they come inside for bed.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh... I was hoping to see parents letting their kids eat actual trash.

Now I'm disappointed.
  • JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Trash-Fish.jpg

Well Sesame Street thinks it OK...so.....
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No Foods are Inherently Fattening!

This study showing that “reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.” - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19246357

This study which found “diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.”- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413101

Professor Mark Haub who lost 27lbs and improved markers of health while eating a diet consisting of Twinkies.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Flexible dieting
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11707550

Can I say I think you're awesome for actually citing legitimate sources.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Pic-AugustusGloop.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Oh... I was hoping to see parents letting their kids eat actual trash.

Now I'm disappointed.

KicksRocks.gif