Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options

Replies

• Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    mmmhmmm... and you have no idea what its like having a 6 yr old that freaks out if something even looks slightly different than it did the last time he ate it. chicken, cheese, noodles, bananas for goodness sakes. I only recently have been making progress with him, to convince him that the grilled chicken is exactly the same food as chicken nuggets, just in different forms. So if you'd rather a screaming child near your nice dinner out..
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If I'm taking my niece and nephew out to eat, they order what they want. If I'm babysitting them at their house, they eat a balanced meal left by their mom. If they're eating at my house, they get to choose what vegetables and fruit they want ahead of time (and also what main dish and dessert).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I can't imagine kids are all that complaint with healthy eating. I'd definitely mind your own business on this one.

It was an honest question, not a judgemental one. From someone who is interested in becoming a parent, I'm just doing a little research.

I think the trouble is the use of the word "trash" which definitely connotes judgment.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My daughter will eat most vegetables but it's taken me almost 16 years to get her to like squash. It comes with repeated small doses on some things.
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this to be rude/snarky, but I want to share a personal experience with you. This happened when my husband took our first daughter for her 18 mo vaccinations. Her appointment was at 11:30 and my husband had to drop her back off at daycare afterwards and return to work. Because of the timing she would miss lunch at her daycare. So to make a difficult (and most likely painful) day a special treat I told my husband to take her to McDonalds for a special treat (lunch with daddy).

My husband set her up at the table with her chicken nuggets, apple slices, and white milk, ready to spend some quality time with her before they had to leave. Well he was shamed and yelled at by another patron for feeding my daughter McDonalds. Yes this older woman (who was eating in the same establishment) criticized my husband in front of my young child because she assumed that this was a regular occurrence. Perhaps she felt she had to because my husband was overweight (I often wonder if she would have said something to someone thinner or more fit).

This upset me greatly for so many reasons. This woman had no idea what my child's day was like. She had no knowledge of what my child's health was. She had no idea what her normal eating habits were.

So in conclusion, do not judge a situation unless you have all of the facts.
  • salleymo
    salleymo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For me, i'll let my kids have something unhealthy paired with something healthy. For example, if I get them chick-fil-a, I'll get them nuggets with a side of fruit.
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You think that's bad? My stepgrandparents allow their grandson (because my siblings and me aren't real noteworthy) to order a cheese burger with nothing on it.....In other words a plain bloody burger...at a Mexican restaurant. He was like 12/13 and about that time, kids normally want to experience other foods. Not him. Honestly, I got told off on not trying different things when we got home after coming back from a restaurant.

Most times when you see that it could be that that is something they don't normally get at home. And it's easier to just let the kid get what he wants in that situation. Would you rather have a happy kid with chicken fingers or a screaming and hollering child that isn't getting what he wants?
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Trying to fatten em up, the little suckers can run too fast, they are hoping if they feed em enough the little buggers will slow down, make em easier to catch

OMG LMAO
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Not at my house!!! They eat what I eat and I eat healthy!!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I can only say that when I was a child, if my parents had handed me a Happy Meal toy and a salad, I would have eaten the toy.

#bestresponse
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    Someone wants to monitor the world and make Judgy McJudgerton judgements on others despite a complete lack of background or understanding.

Seems legit.

This too
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    1. Fast food can be part of a healthy diet, and a nice treat.

2. Children may have a stronger sensitivity to bitter taste, influencing food preference.

3. Years of sleep deprivation and exposure to whining can have a notable effect on cognitive functioning.

4. Cauliflower cookies are not just like the real thing. More posts with life changing recipes do not alter this reality.

5. Have you seen the minion toys? Have you seen them?

2n1u82t.jpg
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the responses regarding restaurant kids menus. Generally, they are all the same - chicken fingers, mac and cheese, hot dog, pasta with butter, or grilled cheese. Luckily my daughter loves broccoli, and you can usually either get it as a side for the kids dishes (instead of fries). If that isn't available, I usually get an adult side of broccoli or other veggie she likes to go with her meal. If a restaurant actually offers a healthy kids choice that she'll eat, then we will get that.
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    1. Because we're out and they dont get that food at home. We go out maybe once a month? It will hardly hurt them.

2. Many places don't offer healthy options. You'd be surprised with the crap they offer for the kids' menu. I stopped going to places who really haven't gotten their kids menu together. Although, some chicken strips with a side of broccoli and mandarin oranges is hardly bad for once in a while. Add an iced tea (yes my kids are weird and prefer unsweetened iced tea to soda haha)....My children are very active.

3. Because parents want to enjoy their OWN dinner and want their kids to just behave so why not get them what they'll eat, NOT what they'll complain about and/or waste.

4. Because it's their kids. When you have kids, I'd love to hear how easy it is ;)

In response to number 4: I wasn't judging you. I was asking a serious question and was looking for answers like 1-3 that gave me real insight into the decision-making process. Thank you for those, as they really opened my eyes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I call BS on the OP. Her responses sound like a robot. 10/10 would troll. and run over.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't know or care why other people let their kids eat fried, "fatty" food at restaurants. As for my kid - eating at a restaurant is the one time when she really gets to pick what she's eating. Sometimes she gets a choice at home, depending on what's leftover, and she gets to choose snacks, but generally when it comes to meals, I plan them and she eats what I make.

It's good for kids to pick their own clothes, food and toys; builds confidence and independence. I don't want her growing up feeling incapable of making decisions. Plus, eating at restaurants can be expensive and I don't like paying for food that will go to waste. She's 3.5 and it's only been about a year since she would touch anything at a restaurant besides chips/salsa, tomatoes from my salad, or food that I had packed for her and brought with us. Now we read the menu together and she tells the server what she wants - I don't order for her (although I will if she thinks our server is a creeper and doesn't want to talk to them).

Sometimes she orders nachos, sometimes a corndog, maybe grilled cheese. Occasionally I won't mention fries as an option for a side so she'll get rice and beans, fruit and veggies, etc. with her meal. But if she's had a pretty balance day or even week, I'll give her the option of adding fries to her fruit and veggies, if they're an option. And sometimes she doesn't want any of the things on the menu and she'll ask if she can have a side of avocado and tomato and some fruit.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I honestly think this is a valid question. I was raised a very healthy eater and brought up in an active household, we never had junk in the house but clearly I went off the rails when I moved out or I wouldn't be here ;) My kids are 8 and 4 and I do allow them to eat stuff I wouldn't in public because we rarely eat out so I allow them to eat what they want (within reason), it's all about moderation, I don't want them to go crazy when they get older or feel deprived . It's been a huge learning process for me, my oldest has always been a great eater he loves veggies and hates candy and junk food but loves ice cream my daughter will eat all junk all the time and she is the one who has kicked me into gear about eating healthy because I don't want her to get my habits. They can be picky at times but I buy their favorite healthy foods and we don't buy junk anymore, if it's in the house we'll eat it right? My kids have always been in the 100% for height and 95% for weight and now my son is only 85% for weight because he is growing like crazy and I was told I need to give him higher fat foods to get him back up but I refuse because I don't want to teach him bad eating habits...
  • dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Our teenage sons are eating healthy with us! Not that they had any weight to drop, because they didn't, but because it is a healthy way of life. They do get the occasional "treat" per say, but it is only like twice a month. Sure they complained at first, but now, three months in, and they are doing great! :)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I can't imagine kids are all that complaint with healthy eating. I'd definitely mind your own business on this one.

It was an honest question, not a judgemental one. From someone who is interested in becoming a parent, I'm just doing a little research.

I think the trouble is the use of the word "trash" which definitely connotes judgment.

And this ^^^
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Trying to fatten em up, the little suckers can run too fast, they are hoping if they feed em enough the little buggers will slow down, make em easier to catch

You win the thread. I laughed. "Make em easier to catch."