Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    My parents ate trash and fed it to me
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    I think my question came off a bit more harsh/judgmental than I meant. My apologies for any misunderstanding. I don't think children should be deprived of yummy, fun foods...nor should anyone for that matter.

Can we stop the attacks now?
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Someone wants to monitor the world and make Judgy McJudgerton judgements on others despite a complete lack of background or understanding.

Seems legit.
    Judgy McJudgerton judgements????:laugh:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Please don't allow your children to eat from the trash can.

I LOVE TRASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

tumblr_lrdt2tpHh81qi41t1o1_500.gif

I :heart: Jules
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have two young kids (3 & 4) who are both pretty picky. I feed my kids what they will eat from the healthy stuff, supplement with the moderately healthy foods otherwise, and occassionally feed them "not as healthy food" I would never feed my children literal trash, though. Generally, I teach my kids moderation and we work with food charts that make sure they are meeting their required "healthy eats" before having a bunch of snacks.

I tried completely eliminating the junk food, and one day my four year old had a break down in the middle of the grocery store because she "wanted a REAL strawberry pop tart, not stupid STRAWBERRIES!!!" LMAO
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    Here's something else to consider: humans have more taste buds as children than as adults, as the nerve endings die off as we age. So every little bit of bitterness in vegetables is painfully apparent to them that we can't even taste.

That is really interesting. Thank you.
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    I have two young kids (3 & 4) who are both pretty picky. I feed my kids what they will eat from the healthy stuff, supplement with the moderately healthy foods otherwise, and occassionally feed them "not as healthy food" I would never feed my children literal trash, though. Generally, I teach my kids moderation and we work with food charts that make sure they are meeting their required "healthy eats" before having a bunch of snacks.

I tried completely eliminating the junk food, and one day my four year old had a break down in the middle of the grocery store because she "wanted a REAL strawberry pop tart, not stupid STRAWBERRIES!!!" LMAO

Thank you for that response. I appreciate your helping me understand the difficulties of healthy-minded parents feeding picky-eating children.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    In for child abuse!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Someone wants to monitor the world and make Judgy McJudgerton judgements on others despite a complete lack of background or understanding.

Seems legit.

tumblr_madjkiCFsc1qeogr5o1_250_zps461e2082.gif
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    You do have a point there and Im guilty of it from time to time. I have 3 kids which 2 have special needs and they a extremely picky and would only eat certaint types of food, especially when they were between the ages of 2-5. They are senstive to textures, tempature, food touching, you name it! On top of that I was still dwelling and coping with their diagnosis..sounds like an excuse, I know and I own up to it and have learned from it. So we would give in to the junk because thats all they would eat and it made them happy. Now fast forward to now and I see how the bad choices have affected them and i try to incorporate better food options now because its not only my journey but theirs as well. We are making this a family thing. I found ways to sneak veggies into the food I make and sometimes its a success and other times not as much. It's a tough job but we are making this a family effort to be healthier.

Thank you for your honest response. (And for not jumping down my throat at asking.)
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    1. Because we're out and they dont get that food at home. We go out maybe once a month? It will hardly hurt them.

2. Many places don't offer healthy options. You'd be surprised with the crap they offer for the kids' menu. I stopped going to places who really haven't gotten their kids menu together. Although, some chicken strips with a side of broccoli and mandarin oranges is hardly bad for once in a while. Add an iced tea (yes my kids are weird and prefer unsweetened iced tea to soda haha)....My children are very active.

3. Because parents want to enjoy their OWN dinner and want their kids to just behave so why not get them what they'll eat, NOT what they'll complain about and/or waste.

4. Because it's their kids. When you have kids, I'd love to hear how easy it is ;)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When we go out they can have chicken nuggets or fries or even cheeseburgers. It's a treat.

At home we eat a very healthy diet.
  • jessicacb1989
    Options
    My daughter is my #1 priority. I watch her diet more than I do my own!
    Along with normal healthy family meals, I stock the bottom shelf in the refrigerator door with snacks for her:
    Low-fat string cheese.
    Low-fat yogurt in a tube.
    1 Horizon Chocolate Milk box.
    Baby carrots.
    Cucumber slices.
    Broccoli crowns.
    Grapes.
    Any and all berries...
    All pre-washed and in tiny ziplock bags for her. We eat dinner early so she is usually hungry before bed. We'll split a banana with peanut butter on it and have some skim milk. She has milk with most meals and is allowed juice with her mid-morning snack and afternoon snack. She will drink a whole gallon of it if you let her!
    Once a week, when we go grocery shopping, I let her pick out a candy bar or whatever near the cash register.

My issue is visiting grandparents! They all throw candy, chocolates, soda and everything else at her. Even if we eat right before we go, she'll say she's hungry knowing what they'll give her. I'm trying to limit visits to once a week. Sucks because we have a close relationship with them. =/
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    I have two kids, one six year old boy and one two year old boy. When we go out to eat the six year old is allowed to order what he wants. It's normally Mac' cheese or corndogs or some other disgusting food. That he doesn't get at home. He enjoys it and it allows us to eat a meal out without fighting with him over the menu. We order a fruit plate for the two year old and cut off bits of ours or order him chicken fingers depending on where we are. Snacks at our house include string cheese, fruit, veggies with PB, and roasted flavored almonds. Dinner is what we eat or they don't eat. Now if you only saw our kids eat in public you would think that they only eat crap, but since we only eat out once or twice a month..... But a stranger can judge me all they want, I only listen to my family and my kids pediatrician. Oh and they're both little string beans as far as weight goes.

I didn't think of it that way...because I, too, "treat myself" when I go out by ordering something I otherwise wouldn't make/eat at home.

I appreciate your honest response. Thanks for educating me.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children - a 19 yr old and twins 8

At home - the kids eat exactly what my husband and I eat (dieting) with NO complaints. This is protein and 2 or 3 veggies / fruit for dinner. Fruits / yogurt / PB etc for snacks

When we go out to eat - it is special and they get to pick what THEY want. At one of the restaurants they start out with a veggie or fruit plate compliments of waitress whom has served us since they were one and KNOW their likes and dis likes. This was THEIR choice. Then they may pick chicken nuggets or pizza. It is once a week or every other week. They eat healthy and eat every single vegetable on their plate every day. One night a week...pffft not a big deal. In fact..at a restaurant is the ONLY time they are allowed to drink root beer. Key to life - Moderation.

When you have children (did not read your reply but assuming you do not)....ask yourself the same question when you allow your 2 yr old to eat chicken nuggets at a restaurant :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    In to watch
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    My daughter is my #1 priority. I watch her diet more than I do my own!
    Along with normal healthy family meals, I stock the bottom shelf in the refrigerator door with snacks for her:
    Low-fat string cheese.
    Low-fat yogurt in a tube.
    1 Horizon Chocolate Milk box.
    Baby carrots.
    Cucumber slices.
    Broccoli crowns.
    Grapes.
    Any and all berries...
    All pre-washed and in tiny ziplock bags for her. We eat dinner early so she is usually hungry before bed. We'll split a banana with peanut butter on it and have some skim milk. She has milk with most meals and is allowed juice with her mid-morning snack and afternoon snack. She will drink a whole gallon of it if you let her!
    Once a week, when we go grocery shopping, I let her pick out a candy bar or whatever near the cash register.

My issue is visiting grandparents! They all throw candy, chocolates, soda and everything else at her. Even if we eat right before we go, she'll say she's hungry knowing what they'll give her. I'm trying to limit visits to once a week. Sucks because we have a close relationship with them. =/

That's a good idea, to give her a treat that she gets to pick out, but on a limited basis.

I appreciate your honest response. Thanks for educating me.
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I can't imagine kids are all that complaint with healthy eating. I'd definitely mind your own business on this one.

It was an honest question, not a judgemental one. From someone who is interested in becoming a parent, I'm just doing a little research.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    When we eat out, I let my kids order what they want. The 13 years old and the 6 years old are at a healthy weight.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Society almost TELLS kids to hate vegetables. Tons of television shows show children turning their nose away from broccoli and brussel sprouts and such, so it's no wonder thousands of kids say they hate these kinds of foods...even if they've yet to give them a try! Parents need to feed their kids. If a kid is stubborn enough and refuse to eat, there's really nothing left to do but *sigh* give them what the want.

Also, companies know how to market to kids. This means kids want to eat fruit loops and chicken nuggets because the box as spongebob on it.

I totally agree, when I was a kid it was like TV and movies were telling me I was suppose to hate veggies and beg my parents for lucky charms. Luckily, my parents were healthy eaters and always fed us pretty healthy food. The best thing my parents ever did was not allow me to drink soda, and they never took me to McDonalds. Honestly, I don't think I complained too much, I grew up eating healthy, and I'm very thankful now. Meanwhile, I watched my cousins be fed nothing but junk food from their mom, and surprise surprise, they are now obese and one is diabetic. Their mom always gave in to them, I think of her as a "pretend" mother. She wouldn't even offer her kids anything healthy, the choices were always "do you want a cheeseburger or pizza? a coke or pepsi?", "do you want a 10th iced cappucino today, even though you are only 5 years old?". True story. though I know most parents aren't as bad as my aunt lol. I understand kids can have more sugary snacks and things, but if your kid is already fat and you keep feeding them trash... WTF, that's terrible.