How to stay within your calorie goal at a fair?

Options
124»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is unfair, seeing as how our fair comes in November and I cannot have my treats until then and I have to read about it here. :-(
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    The fair is the one day a year I indulge until I want to die. Too many temptations! Spiral fries, funnel cake, fried zucchini!

I will be burning it off for weeks. And so worth it.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Eat ahead of time or suck it up and chow down.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Go for an extra large deficit the day before and the day after. Eat a good healthy breakfast before you go, drink plenty of water throughout the day, and enjoy some of your favorites. Keep track, so that you don't go crazy and remember it is just one day, with careful planning you can enjoy the junk food and have fun. Also if you go crazy, you'll feel sick and won't enjoy any of it, enjoy a few things and play.
  • GnosisGnosis
    GnosisGnosis Posts: 148
    Options

FWIW.

http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=3803943

I've seen a handful of calorie listings....toping out at 175. Of the 4 I looked at, average 124.

Cool thanks. They don't seem really consistent and I can't help but wonder if they're just estimations, but it's better than nothing. Personally, when I eat like **** even for one day it kind of puts me in a bad mood and I'm more likely to eat like **** on other days. But then again, I'm into fitness because I'm an athlete and maintaining a good diet is probably more important to me than the average joe. I don't even go to bars or drink, and I had to quit smoking herb too =p
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would eat what I wanted, log it, and go on. It's 1 day. Honestly, this is what I really do. :flowerforyou:
  • hopscotchery
    hopscotchery Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a music festival in New York City with tons of nationally reknowned food trucks that were ridiculously tempting. I ate tons of things over three days (lobster rolls, porchetta, ice cream sandwiches, Ben & Jerry's, grilled cheese, beer - you name, it, I ate it) and I didn't regret it one bit. I went with someone who I knew I could split things with so I could have everything I wanted, at least a bite or so. We both are avid Fitbit users so while we ate what we wanted, we had great portion sizes, kept moving, and walked extra distances after trudging around in the mud all day - 7-10 miles a day.

You don't have many opportunities to enjoy the things you want, and if anything, it will be a fantastic lesson in control. Go in with a plan - split food, figure out a good portion size, only eat a few things or bring healthy snacks to offset your hunger. If you deprive yourself of awesome food that you should have once in awhile, you will grow very resentful of your lifestyle quickly.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The fair was just in my city and I threw all calorie counting out the window that day and had everything and anything that I wanted including bacon ranch fries, chocolate dipped cheesecake on a stick, a bag of kettle corn, pizza on a stick and mini donuts. The fair comes once a year and I wasn't going to deprive myself. Was all delicious. Working my butt off this week and damn happy for it.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy food before you go so you aren't starving. Also, you don't need to eat everything. Pick one treat and enjoy. You will be walking a lot, so that helps.

I pretty much agree with all of that.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    DEEP FRIED TWINKIES!!!!!!

Just eat.... it won't be as bad as you think!!!

Deep fried twinkies were awesome....is the return of the twinkie widespread enough that they'll be available?
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I bring my own food whenever I can because I cannot eat the fair type food (celiac) so whenever possible I bring my own food and fill up on that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    DEEP FRIED TWINKIES!!!!!!

Just eat.... it won't be as bad as you think!!!

Deep fried twinkies were awesome....is the return of the twinkie widespread enough that they'll be available?
    Walmart had them last week!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Pack snacks, and if you must, eat the roasted corn, without the butter, it is yummy!!!
    and you can have a little bit of cotton candy since it is fat free, but not sugar free!!
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Roasted corn with old bay or some other seasoning, without butter. :D My favorite fair food!!
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Honestly? When I go to the fair, I don't care. It's the only once a year and only time I let myself have deep fried who knows what.

A couple things I DO to keep a little balance is carry water with me and drink lots of it. Only sit long enough to rest up, then get back to walking and moving around again.

Now, if you really want to stick to your calories, but want to enjoy fair food, most fairs have a local farm food booth/tent where you can get watermelon and other fresh fruits. There are several places that sell stir fried things. Grilled chicken is all over the place.

As a treat, deep fried veggies are fun.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    Just make it your free day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it, there's only two options.

1) Don't go to the fair.

2) Don't worry about calories that day.

:flowerforyou:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of the funnel cake with powdered sugar and fried twinkies. I can take or leave everything else unless it's BBQ on the River back home. Then I have to have a good pulled pork sandwich with the thin yummy pepper sauce, cole slaw, and roasted corn. The nice thing about funnel cake is you get a huge amount and it's perfect to share.