Respect on the boards

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    If you know that 95% of MFP people are respectful and eager to help, why do you dignify the rude 5% with a rant?
    This is the Internet. There are trolls and ill-advised people everywhere you can land your eyes on. 5% is a pretty low number, based on my experience....

This.

For perspective, the breastfeeding mom had a ton of great advice, and one uninformed, ignorant guy who would have been better off ignored instead of engaged.

And that guy is in this thread, agreeing with the OP. Because he thinks people were being rude to him. Teh internetz is awsum.

Yep.

The breast feeding thread can be summarized like this:

OP: I'm not losing weight, help!

Bunch of People: USEFUL ADVICE!
    Batman: Why are you using nursing as excerise?

OP and Bunch of people: (explain how nursing burns calories)
    Helpful people: USEFUL ADVICE!
    Batman: NURSING DOESN"T BURN CALORIES!

Helpful People: we already explained this!
    Batman: IT"S ALL ABOUT ME NOW!

Thread: derailed.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    <
    5%er
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I got attacked yesterday for not making my stepson 20 year old a cake at 9 pm because I already knew I would eat it. I was proud of my husband for sticking up for me and so many people tried to make me feel selfish. I didn't figure I needed to explain humor or the fact that I stock my house with other goodies for him to eat.

You took the good step of planning ahead. You knew you would eat the cake, so you didn't make it (at least not at 9 pm). Good for you! The ingredients will still be there in the morning.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The benefit to the online a-holes is you can simply ignore them. It is the real life ones that you can actually beat the crap out of winding you up in jail.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to regret this, but what the hell...

OP, in your post yesterday, you initially posted that you refused to make a cake for your stepson because you couldn't deal with it being in the house. Of course, in subsequent posts, it came to light that he was 20, and you were already going to be making a cake for his brother for today, but in the INITIAL post, you came across as the kind of person who was making the rest of your family "suffer" due to your own lack of willpower.

We learned that was not the case, but when people do not have all the information, they will respond to the information they DO have. Most people who were snarky in your thread, were replying to other posters. It seems we are unable to have cake threads on this site without people completely losing their minds.

The breastfeeding thread was one dude trolling (Hi Batman!) and a couple of snarky replies, because, once again, people didn't have all the information. Once they understood the situation, the snark stopped.

Most of the "rudeness" on these boards are actually people joking around. Not everyone shares the same sense of humour, and sometimes people react badly to the alleged jokes.

I am not going to address the cases where people are called rude for merely disagreeing, because that horse has been beaten to a pulp.

There are instances where people are deliberately being unkind, but those cases, just like in real life, are rare. Most of the time, it is miscommunication.

Oh you shush with your common sense. This kind of thinking isn't welcome on the internet.

Also. I agree with you 100%. Well said.
  • marci2lip
    marci2lip Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you know that 95% of MFP people are respectful and eager to help, why do you dignify the rude 5% with a rant?
    This is the Internet. There are trolls and ill-advised people everywhere you can land your eyes on. 5% is a pretty low number, based on my experience....

This.

For perspective, the breastfeeding mom had a ton of great advice, and one uninformed, ignorant guy who would have been better off ignored instead of engaged.

And that guy is in this thread, agreeing with the OP. Because he thinks people were being rude to him. Teh internetz is awsum.

Yep.

I love you. Will you marry me?
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm only mad because this is the 5 millionth "Whyyyyy aarrree peeeple soooo meannnn?!?!" thread in the last month. I'm not saying I don't think people should be civil in their replies, but good Lord, it's the internet. You put it out there, you'd better be prepared for all types of replies.
  • Lutah7
    Lutah7 Posts: 45
    Options
    People stop for a minute and remember that there is another human being on the end of the computer that is getting the message that they are somehow less of a person.

Well said, but there in one sentence you just defined why this kind of behavior on the Internet will always be a problem; it's all bodiless communications, and as long as people don't have to be worried about getting murdered for being total *kitten* clowns, they will be as vicious as they can.

I think this is ...nail on the head. Anonymity breeds cowardice and stupidity.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Just FYI after perusing that breastfeeding thread OP refers to the only rude guy in there was Batman who started off innocently enough not knowing that breastfeeding burns calories and wondering why they were being logged at the rate of 9 minutes for 300 cals.

ALL the busy nursing mom's got that, explained it but some got snarky which in turn got his rude up because yeah, he's batman he's not gonna go down without a batfight. So that's all that happened. The 5% was ONE uninformed guy in a batsuit. BFD.
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with your point of view.

Incidentally, another golden rule is: 'Don't share things on the internet unless you're willing to accept that the internet harbours all kinds of opinions'.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

OP, in your post yesterday, you initially posted that you refused to make a cake for your stepson because you couldn't deal with it being in the house. Of course, in subsequent posts, it came to light that he was 20, and you were already going to be making a cake for his brother for today, but in the INITIAL post, you came across as the kind of person who was making the rest of your family "suffer" due to your own lack of willpower.

We learned that was not the case, but when people do not have all the information, they will respond to the information they DO have. Most people who were snarky in your thread, were replying to other posters. It seems we are unable to have cake threads on this site without people completely losing their minds.

The breastfeeding thread was one dude trolling (Hi Batman!) and a couple of snarky replies, because, once again, people didn't have all the information. Once they understood the situation, the snark stopped.

Most of the "rudeness" on these boards are actually people joking around. Not everyone shares the same sense of humour, and sometimes people react badly to the alleged jokes.

I am not going to address the cases where people are called rude for merely disagreeing, because that horse has been beaten to a pulp.

There are instances where people are deliberately being unkind, but those cases, just like in real life, are rare. Most of the time, it is miscommunication.
    Well said.
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    some people are just born ignorant and they are here just to bug us....I totally agree with what you have said :drinker:
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    SO, it's funny when your husband tells his son he's going to die for wanting cake.
    (I was pretty mad about that, I was picturing a young kid asking for cake, and willing to negotiate for said cake, whose dad then threatened him with a whoopin'. Your later posts cleared that up, and as I posted "changed everything".)

BUT, it's not funny for people to use sarcasm and humor on a website that involve a bunch of gifs, pop tarts, milk and cake. Instead those people are now bullies.

The difference?

There are people sitting on this side of the screen. Who are not people you know. Like I do not know your husband and his humor, and interpreted his "die" comment the way it was meant in my background. You are interpreting us...I'm not sure because I'm not you.

But communication on all sides can be taken with a grain of salt. We are all restricting our sodium intakes, unfortunately, which probably affects the whole situation as we don't have grains of salt to spare on internet understandings.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Ayup! That's about it.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

This.

Yep.

Yep. That's a good summary.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Yep.

Thread: derailed."
    [/quote]

Now THAT is funny.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    ig·no·rant (gnr-nt)
    adj.
    1. Lacking education or knowledge.
    2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
    3. Unaware or uninformed.

Use it right people...

stu·pid [stoo-pid, styoo‐] Show IPA adjective, stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est, noun
    adjective
    lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
    characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
    tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
    annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
    in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    There are people who live to rile up others, and you will see it more here on the internet than anywhere else, because of the anonymity aspect of posting.

Ignore them, they aren't worth your time or effort. Who cares what somebody else says if it isn't helpful?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    some people are just born ignorant and they are here just to bug us....I totally agree with what you have said :drinker:

Did you really just point out how people are rude and mean on the forums...

...by making a post in the forums calling them ignorant?

That is awesome...

...ly hypocritical.
This discussion has been closed.