• oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    sausage chowder, rich Italian soup and old fashioned beef stew
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    These all sound great.

Any have some great summer soup ideas? I had a fruit soup one time when I was in Europe sooo yummy. Been really craving that in this heat.
    Cold strawberry soup at Allrecipes.com
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Perfect easy summer soup. I LOVE soup and have all kinds of great recipes, but considering that we're in summer and the beautiful tomatoes are coming into season, here's a super-easy luscious Spanish tomato soup called salmorejo. The key is to use really good tomatoes with great flavor, not those tasteless blobsl.:

4-5 cups of fresh tomatoes, chilled, cut in large chunks
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
    Good quality salt
    half-cup cold water if needed.

put a cup of tomatoes in the blender just to get started. If the blender has trouble with them, add a little bit of cold water until it gets going. add the rest of the tomatoes, a cup at a time, the pressed garlic, olive oil and salt to taste (maybe start with a half teaspoon).

Spaniards often make this very thick by adding bread; I'm more a low-carb person and this tastes and has a texture very similar. You can add more olive oil if your macros allow; it gets creamier with more added, but this is pretty creamy.

This will sound weird, but it's traditional to serve well-chopped hard-boiled egg on the side, to put into the soup and/or cut-up prosciutto.The egg actually goes wonderfully with it and adds the protein. (I'm less a fan of the prosciutto with it) also, though this isn't in keeping with tradition, a big dollop of lowfat ricotta added to a bowl of soup is just wonderful.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Cabbage Soup. I can't remember what magazine I got it from, but it's the one soup I make that everyone loves. This is basically the same recipe. http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/un-stuffed-cabbage-soup/
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My father always makes thanksgiving leftover soup, with turkey, rice or potato, a ton of veggies. SO GOOD!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I've got a killer cauliflower and cheese soup, and my leek and potato is delish too. At work so cant post recipies but if you want them just send me a message
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/crock-pot-chicken-enchilada-soup.html

This soup is probably my favorite, although I add way more cumin and cilantro, and also some lime juice (don't skip that, it totally brightens the flavor). I also use the roasted corn from Trader Joes. Sometimes I will serve it over a couple of broken tortilla chips.

Just today had this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/skinny-yet-creamy-carrot-ginger-soup.html and it was VERY good, as well. Can't wait to make it in the fall. I think I might make it next time without the sour cream even, and save even more calories.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Sounding great.

The garden is coming in nicely and can't wait to start using the home grown fresh veg. I'm trying to decide what one to make this weekend.

Keep the ideas coming. Always up for new and yummy soup recipes.
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have 3 fast soups I make.
    Pumpkin soup
    Place 2 teaspoons of garlic in a pan add .5 onion chopped and sauté. Add 500g pumpkin or butternut squash add 4 cups of water and cook 20 minutes. blend.. Makes 6- 8 cups at 56 cals a serve.

Carrot and ginger soup

Place a leek and 2 teas of grated ginger in a pan and sauté. Add 6 large carrots peeled and chopped. Add 4 cups of water and cook 25 minutes . Blend. Makes 6 cups at 45 cal per serve.

Vegetable soup

Sauté 2 teaspoons of garlic add chopped finely( i do all this in a food processor)8 mushrooms , 2 carrots, leaves(add great flavour)and 2 sticks of celery, parsnip, swede, .5 cup pumpkin or squash and a few pieces of broccoli. Add 6 cups of water and cook 20 minutes. Blend. Makes 8 cups and each cup serve come in at 28 calories.
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My family's 2 favorites are chicken tortilla and albondigas (a flavorful Mexican meatball soup.) We also enjoy this simple soup: http://foodbabe.com/2011/05/16/wedding-weight-loss-soup/ It sounds boring but it is so nourishing and tasty.

FYI I am mostly commenting to subscribe to this awesome thread.

Also, I agree with the cabbage soup people. I don't know why cabbage makes soup so good.

Edited for a typo.
  • mattsdad1961
    mattsdad1961 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlmcint
    tlmcint Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    http://www.recipe.com/potato-bean-soup/

This! It's been the favorite in our house for many years. Even for the boys. On their birthdays when I offer to make anything they want, almost always without exception they ask for this soup. Only the youngest asks for the beans on the side lol.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Perfect easy summer soup. I LOVE soup and have all kinds of great recipes, but considering that we're in summer and the beautiful tomatoes are coming into season, here's a super-easy luscious Spanish tomato soup called salmorejo. The key is to use really good tomatoes with great flavor, not those tasteless blobsl.:

4-5 cups of fresh tomatoes, chilled, cut in large chunks
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
    Good quality salt
    half-cup cold water if needed.

put a cup of tomatoes in the blender just to get started. If the blender has trouble with them, add a little bit of cold water until it gets going. add the rest of the tomatoes, a cup at a time, the pressed garlic, olive oil and salt to taste (maybe start with a half teaspoon).

Spaniards often make this very thick by adding bread; I'm more a low-carb person and this tastes and has a texture very similar. You can add more olive oil if your macros allow; it gets creamier with more added, but this is pretty creamy.

This will sound weird, but it's traditional to serve well-chopped hard-boiled egg on the side, to put into the soup and/or cut-up prosciutto.The egg actually goes wonderfully with it and adds the protein. (I'm less a fan of the prosciutto with it) also, though this isn't in keeping with tradition, a big dollop of lowfat ricotta added to a bowl of soup is just wonderful.
    I need a blender.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Lite Chicken and Dumplings

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    ½ onion, finely chopped
    3 stalks celery, sliced thin
    1 cup baby carrots, sliced thin
    ½ cup frozen green peas
    2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped or 1 Tbsp. dried
    1 tsp. fresh thyme or ½ tsp. dried
    2 Tbsp. no Trans fat margarine
    2 Tbsp. flour
    1 ½ cups reduced sodium, organic chicken broth
    ½ cup fat free half-and-half
    1 cup low fat Bisquick mix
    ½ cup milk or buttermilk
    ½ tsp. sea salt and fresh pepper
    Place chicken breast halves in saute pan and cover with water. Place over medium heat, uncovered, and cook for 10-12 minutes until chicken is poached and cooked through. Remove from water and set aside to cool.
    Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots, saute for 4-5 minutes until carrots are just tender. Remove from heat and add frozen peas, salt and pepper, parsley and thyme. Cut cooled chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and add to vegetable mixture. Set aside.
    In small saucepan, heat margarine until melted, add flour and stir well forming a paste. Add chicken broth and fat free half-and-half. Continue whisking over medium heat until just starting to thicken. Add to chicken-vegetable mixture and return to low heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
    In small bowl combine Bisquick mix with milk with fork until just mixed. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough on top of chicken-vegetable mixture and cover and continue to simmer for another 7-8 minutes, just until dumpling is done. Serve in bowls, garnish with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.

Serves: 4
    Calories per serving: 425
    Calorie equivalent: 4 oz. protein, 2 vegetables, 2 carbohydrates, 1 fat
    *this was from Extreme Makeover : Weight Loss Edition
    Recipe courtesy of California Health & Longevity Institute

"Zuppa Toscana"---my favorite!

(this recipe is close to the Zuppa Toscana that is served at the Olive Garden, but a healthier version)

*I would try it w/o the italian seasoning 1st before adding it, it isn't called for in the Zuppa Toscana recipe I have and you can use turkey bacon and/or turkey sausage if you like. Spinach can be substituted for the kale or chard. If you use spinach, stir it in just before serving. The Zuppa Toscana doesn't have beans, but I think it makes it more like a meal.

2 slices bacon (or turkey bacon)
    1/2 lb lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
    2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
    1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    4 cups water
    3 1/2 cups Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
    4 cups chopped fresh kale or Swiss chard leaves
    1 can (15 or 19 oz) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
    1 cup fat-free half-and-half or regular half-and-half

1. In 4-quart nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towel. Crumble bacon; set aside. Remove and discard drippings from saucepan.

2. In same saucepan, cook sausage over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Drain well on paper towels; set aside.

3. In same saucepan, mix potatoes, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, water and broth. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cook uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Stir in bacon, sausage, kale and beans. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and kale are tender. Stir in half-and-half; cook just until heated

10 servings (1 ¼ c per serving)
    Nutrition Information:
    1 Serving: Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 30); Total Fat 3 1/2g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 530mg; Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 3g); Protein 12g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 80%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 10%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 Very Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
  • ClaireESchultz
    Options
    I also found this article last night while googling soup recipes on http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=55321&sc=3022

Im not a creative cook at all, I really can only follow a recipe so I though this was a really great way of making something out of whatever veggies you have in the fridge.

How to make: easy vegetable soup
    Homemade soup can tick the boxes for so many reasons. It’s easy to make, with very little preparation. And it’s a great way to boost your intake of Filling & Healthy vegetables to fill you up and keep you feeling satisfied. Enjoy this versatile soup for lunch, either at home, on the go, at work, or as a light starter option if you’re entertaining.
    Article By: WeightWatchers.co.uk

Whip up a batch of this simple soup for lunch, dinner or a snack in between meals.

It’s simple to make, zero ProPoints values and packed full of Filling & Healthy vegetables.

Easy vegetable soup
    Makes 4 servings
    ProPoints® value | 0 per serving

Ingredients
    1 litre vegetable stock
    made with 2 stock cubes or 2 heaped tsp bouillon powder
    500g chopped vegetables
    choosing from 3 of the following:
    onions
    leeks
    carrots
    celery
    butternut
    squash
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    red pepper
    parsnips and mushrooms
    Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Chopped fresh herbs, to garnish
    Instructions
    Pour the vegetable stock into a large saucepan. Add all the chopped vegetables. Bring up to the boil, then cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Test with the point of a sharp knife, to check.

Puree the soup with a hand-held stick blender, or transfer to a liquidizer and blend until smooth. Taste the soup, adding salt and pepper to season.

Serve each portion sprinkled with chopped fresh herbs and a little more ground black pepper.

Good vegetable combinations:

Onion, leeks and mushrooms
    Leeks, broccoli and celery
    Onion, red pepper and butternut squash
    Carrots, onion and celery
    Cauliflower, onion and leeks
    Onion, carrots and parsnips

I'm going to try the onion, leek and mushroom one tonight. When I entered it into MFP it was 2 Pro Points per serve.

Much Love
    xoxo
  • ClaireESchultz
    Options
    I also found this article last night while googling soup recipes on http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=55321&sc=3022

Im not a creative cook at all, I really can only follow a recipe so I though this was a really great way of making something out of whatever veggies you have in the fridge.

How to make: easy vegetable soup
    Homemade soup can tick the boxes for so many reasons. It’s easy to make, with very little preparation. And it’s a great way to boost your intake of Filling & Healthy vegetables to fill you up and keep you feeling satisfied. Enjoy this versatile soup for lunch, either at home, on the go, at work, or as a light starter option if you’re entertaining.
    Article By: WeightWatchers.co.uk

Whip up a batch of this simple soup for lunch, dinner or a snack in between meals.

It’s simple to make, zero ProPoints values and packed full of Filling & Healthy vegetables.

Easy vegetable soup
    Makes 4 servings
    ProPoints® value | 0 per serving

Ingredients
    1 litre vegetable stock
    made with 2 stock cubes or 2 heaped tsp bouillon powder
    500g chopped vegetables
    choosing from 3 of the following:
    onions
    leeks
    carrots
    celery
    butternut
    squash
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    red pepper
    parsnips and mushrooms
    Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Chopped fresh herbs, to garnish
    Instructions
    Pour the vegetable stock into a large saucepan. Add all the chopped vegetables. Bring up to the boil, then cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Test with the point of a sharp knife, to check.

Puree the soup with a hand-held stick blender, or transfer to a liquidizer and blend until smooth. Taste the soup, adding salt and pepper to season.

Serve each portion sprinkled with chopped fresh herbs and a little more ground black pepper.

Good vegetable combinations:

Onion, leeks and mushrooms
    Leeks, broccoli and celery
    Onion, red pepper and butternut squash
    Carrots, onion and celery
    Cauliflower, onion and leeks
    Onion, carrots and parsnips

I'm going to try the onion, leek and mushroom one tonight. When I entered it into MFP it was 2 Pro Points per serve.

Much Love
    xoxo

You could easily add some protein if you wanted too :-) xoxo
  • LouLoulost
    LouLoulost Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Italian Turkey sausage spinach white bean soup.
    I replace turkey for turkey meatballs (Foster farms)
    I replaced the spinach for red swiss chard.

This soup is amaze balls and only 285 in calories for a hearty 4 meatball serving!
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yum!!!!