I'm 128 pounds and I think I'm fat....

Options
Why do I feel "fat"?

I never used to feel this way. I have gone on my whole life eating what I want and not gaining much weight ever. I wasn't really over thinking food or trying to diet. Ever since I started seeing things about "thinspo" and super skinny girls I feel like I really am FAT.

Compared to them I seriously am fat. Now I cannot even look in the mirror without thinking, "wow I need to change". I am 5"8 and 128 pounds. My hips are 32" my waist is 29" and my bust is 34". I feel like this is terrible. I have chunky legs, a fat stomach and I can't even lose weight.

Help me please. I don't know what to do. I have toned up quite a bit and built some muscle. I do at least 45 minutes of cardio per day as well. The pounds are not coming off. My diet is not spectacular but I always eat around 1500 calories

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight, you are at the lowest weight for a healthy BMI for your height. You're also probably not eating enough. My thoughts would be to bump up the calories by at least 300 per day and focus more on weight training than cardio to see the results you're looking for
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight, you are at the lowest weight for a healthy BMI for your height. You're also probably not eating enough. My thoughts would be to bump up the calories by at least 300 per day and focus more on weight training than cardio to see the results you're looking for

Well put.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight! but maybe you could start toning some more. that might help with your self-esteem!
    ditch the cardio, and start doing some weight/strength training!
  • rainbows8722
    rainbows8722 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't know what to do still...
  • mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would say talk to a trainer, have them show you what excercises would be best to target the areas that you feel are trouble areas..and stop looking at the scale, throw it in the garbage!!!a number is a number, if you toned up and were happy with how you look, but the scale said you gained 10 lbs, then why would it matter what a scale said?? Continue to work on what you feel needs work,go by how you feel, and how your clothes fit..you will get to where you feel comfortable with yourself.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You need to consider help, if its interfering with your life and being happy. That's not a good way to feel, and maybe a therapist can help you work past it.
  • CeeRache
    CeeRache Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am also 5ft8 and weigh 127/128 lbs - and I am not fat!

You are probably a size 10 (ish) - seriously, look in the mirror and I am sure you look great :-).

HOWEVER - it's what you think that counts the most, not other peoples opinions - so my advice is to get your body fat % tested and monitor this instead. The scales are meaningless as they don't tell you what is going on in there.

Add some weights to your training and perhaps target your body fat % instead of your weight. Your weight on the scales may go up this way but it will be muscle - your body will become more toned and it sounds like this is what you are after. Who cares about the scales if you look lean and toned and feel great!!!

You may need to increase calories too (clean diet!) as muscle burns more calories than fat.

Can I ask what your goals are?

C.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    c
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 8' and I'm not entirely convinced it would even be possible for me to weigh 128 pounds. Granted I don't have a small lanky frame either so there's that.

Personally, I didn't even know what Thinspo was until I googled it just now, but honestly I would never want to look that skinny. Those girls look like they have absolutely no muscle?!

I would much rather be strong and healthy than look like that...
  • CeeRache
    Options
    Oh yes - I forgot to say - have at least one rest day a week - let your body recover......
  • rainbows8722
    rainbows8722 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi

You are probably a size 10 (ish) - seriously, look in the mirror and I am sure you look great :-).

HOWEVER - it's what you think that counts the most, not other peoples opinions - so my advice is to get your body fat % tested and monitor this instead. The scales are meaningless as they don't tell you what is going on in there.

Add some weights to your training and perhaps target your body fat % instead of your weight. Your weight on the scales may go up this way but it will be muscle - your body will become more toned and it sounds like this is what you are after. Who cares about the scales if you look lean and toned and feel great!!!

You may need to increase calories too (clean diet!) as muscle burns more calories than fat.

C.

UMM Size 10?? Excuse me? I don't know where you come from but I am a size 2-4. Thanks for guessing that I am 6 sizes bigger than I really am??
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi

C.

UMM Size 10?? Excuse me? I don't know where you come from but I am a size 2-4. Thanks for guessing that I am 6 sizes bigger than I really am??

Size depends on the clothing brand. There are store where I'm a size 6 and there are store where I'm too fat to buy clothing there.

That being said, I think that Cee made a really valid point and you should have focused on it.
  • CeeRache
    Options
    Hi

C.

Sorry - I am talking about UK sizes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Holy crap, calm down. It's not like she saw a picture of you and thought you were 6 sizes bigger than you are! You should go back and read the rest of her post, because it has lots of good advise. Lift, do strength training, focus on body composition & not weight.
  • CeeRache
    Options
    Apologies - no offence meant - I am from the UK, sizing here is totally different, I will have to remember that US sizes are much lower than ours next time I post....... it was actually a compliment!

C.
  • MrBecky
    MrBecky Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi

C.

Sorry - I am talking about UK sizes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow - OP you are very easily offended! Yep, your measurements would indeed make you about a UK size 10, which at 5' 8" is a really nice size to be.

I would agree with what everyone else has said, concentrate on toning up rather than just getting lighter. If you are worried about how you feel - which I think from the tone of your post you do seem to be - then it might be worth looking into getting some help maybe in the form of therapy or something like that. Life is for living, and enjoying and if you are worried about being 'fat' when you are at the low end of your acceptable BMI there is other stuff going on somewhere that you might need to deal with.