Options
12346»

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Someone mention minions?

tumblr_inline_mknhzedOSH1qz4rgp.gif

Have you seen the happy meal toys?!?!! No, really. They're freaking awesome.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to mention about about injuries and safety.

In the years leading up to when I started lifting, I would hurt myself by using improper body mechanics every few months, just doing ordinary things around the house. Well, maybe not so ordinary. But I can't possibly be the only woman to buy 40 pound buckets of cat litter, to put air conditioners in windows by herself, to rearrange furniture, etc. I have a large collection of wrist, knee and ankle braces, and spent a lot of time on the couch with a heating pad and a bunged up back.

In the two and a half years I've been here, I've had one semi-major injury. A stress fracture. From running.

I also had several weeks when I was in a great deal of pain when I first started exercising because I was doing squats with bad form, using 2 pound dumbbells. Because I hadn't done my home work and learned good form. The minute I started pushing through my heels instead of my toes, the pain went away.

In other words... ANYTHING you do can cause injury, if you don't do it properly.

I'm very careful and cautious when it comes to lifting heavy. If I don't feel confident I can manage the weight, I go lighter. Heavy is about what's heavy for you, not going in there first thing and lifting like you're Dwayne Johnson.

^^^^ This.

I have been working out steadily for 4 years, doing cardio and lifting what I could. Granted, I started out from a very different perspective - I was only 113 pounds when I started working out. And I'm 5'9". I had major health problems. I couldn't walk 1/2 an hour on the treadmill at 3 mph. So I feel you guys, I really really do. I fell down doing bodyweight squats and lunges. I *HAD* start light and carefully in order to build up every bit of my musculature and balance in order to progress. It took over two years before I achieved any sort of 'normal' fitness level.

But then I got lax. I was happy just doing the same thing over and over and I had trainers that were afraid to push me. So I pushed myself with cardio.... Right about that time though, I found my new trainer. And he started working with me on different mechanics, leading me towards big girl lifting - but I still developed pretty slowly, because I wasn't eating enough. He worked with me on that and I got to where I could eat at maintenance and even surplus.

Then last year, I collapsed. My whole world fell apart and I started missing gym sessions, eating anything and everything and in the course of a couple of months, put on 15 pounds. (it's really easy to do in my family!) And I was an emotional wreck with caring for my mom with in-hospice for 3 weeks before she passed away and then losing my last kitty at the same time.

That's when I figured out that I wanted major change. I found MFP to help get my eating back under control. EVERYTHING in my life was out of control, and my fitness was one thing I knew I could do and do right. I sat down with my trainer and talked through everything with him. Most of the weight was stress weight and came off really quick. But I also have focused more on weight loss AND recomp at the same time, and heavy lifting is the one thing I changed and the results have been AMAZING.

It is not instantaneous. It is not easy. It's a lot of hard work, but it's A LOT of fun and so worth it. I still do my walking for sanity and my stationary bike for my asthma, but I have split them up a bit and I focus work a lot more with the heavy weights and every time I set a new personal best - I am amazed at what I can and have done. And I am NOT bulky - nowhere near it! I have a different shape and look than I have ever had before, and I have a near perfect flat stomach and abs for the first time in my life - even with the consistent working out for the last 4 years. All that changed was heavy lifting and getting the macros right - that's it. I still eat lots of carbs and sugar and fat. I still sit on the couch and play video games or work 15 hour days.

So it's not for everyone, I can see how some people may hate it! But I can't do endurance and I can't run. I have severe asthma and I battle it every day. Learning how I *can* push myself to achieve what I want has been half the battle. And lifting has been my ammo. And I will always suggest that someone at least be open minded enough to try it for themselves.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Totally Agree OP. I started lifting weights for three weeks, and I started to look like the Rock! People kept telling me to shave my head, wear sleeveless under armour, and convince people to be a hero constantly! So I stopped. I didn't want to get super bulky. I'm going more for the abercrombie and fitch look. good Post OP
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Totally Agree OP. I started lifting weights for three weeks, and I started to look like the Rock! People kept telling me to shave my head, wear sleeveless under armour, and convince people to be a hero constantly! So I stopped. I didn't want to get super bulky. I'm going more for the abercrombie and fitch look. good Post OP

LOL. I have no words.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If you have been on MFP for a while, you will notice that lifting heavy is the most popular advice members are given regardless of fitness goal. Before anyone goes crazy, I'm not against lifting heavy, but I feel the routine should match the goals and lifting heavy does not work for every goal. At the same time, any other suggestion such as bodyweight exercises or metabolic training are ridiculed or dismissed by SOME members, when these exercises could be more or just as effective for a members goals.

Starting Strength, All Pros and Stronglifts 5x5 are all great programs and there are countless testimonies of people who have gained strength from those programs. But let's be clear, gaining strength is the priority of those programs, not weight loss. Weight loss is possible on a calorie deficit, but you would undermine the very goal of this program, which is to gain strength. While some posters on MFP like to promote those programs for weight loss over other programs, bodybuilding.com and other bodybuilder sites don't generally promote these routines where weight loss is the PRIMARY goal, because your body doesn't have enough fuel to keep up the gains. Plus these routines are strenuous and may cause the cardio to suffer. No problem if you don't care for cardio, a big problem if you are prepping for a 10K in a few months.

I am posting because I feel there is an attitude among SOME posters that there way is the only way and I think we can all achieve our fitness goals, but we may take a different path to get there. Personally I prefer metabolic training over traditional strength training because it is more exciting and intense to me. I want to get stronger, but gaining strength is not even in my top 3 fitness goals. At the end of the day I want to lose weight, run longer and faster. When i get closer to my goal weight, my fitness goals may change and lifting heavy may be exactly what I need, but for now it is just not the best choice for my fitness goals. Besides I find traditional strength training boring as hell. It is a chore to do and I get no enjoyment out of it. I do it when I have to, but avoid it if I can. Endurance activities speak to me. So if I had to choose between doing 100 Burpees and BW squats superset over doing 5 heavy weight squats, burpees win .

Remember this is My Fitness PAL, not BODYBUILDING Dot COM. Let's support everyone on their fitness journey and respect the different paths they choose to get there. We may not all have the same goals, but we do share the common desire to be fit and healthy, so can we get there will a little less judgement.

Heavy lifting is not causing me any problems with training for my running goals. I like my muscle and bone density and would like to keep both. I lift heavy a few times per week, am gaining strength, and am doing a marathon training plan.

Burpees never win in my world, deadlifts do. Maybe you should try "a little less judgement".
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Someone mention minions?

tumblr_inline_mknhzedOSH1qz4rgp.gif

Have you seen the happy meal toys?!?!! No, really. They're freaking awesome.

I agree!
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options

...I was looking for a "j/k" at the end of your post, but...yeah.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you have been on MFP for a while, you will notice that lifting heavy is the most popular advice members are given regardless of fitness goal. Before anyone goes crazy, I'm not against lifting heavy, but I feel the routine should match the goals and lifting heavy does not work for every goal. At the same time, any other suggestion such as bodyweight exercises or metabolic training are ridiculed or dismissed by SOME members, when these exercises could be more or just as effective for a members goals.

Starting Strength, All Pros and Stronglifts 5x5 are all great programs and there are countless testimonies of people who have gained strength from those programs. But let's be clear, gaining strength is the priority of those programs, not weight loss. Weight loss is possible on a calorie deficit, but you would undermine the very goal of this program, which is to gain strength. While some posters on MFP like to promote those programs for weight loss over other programs, bodybuilding.com and other bodybuilder sites don't generally promote these routines where weight loss is the PRIMARY goal, because your body doesn't have enough fuel to keep up the gains. Plus these routines are strenuous and may cause the cardio to suffer. No problem if you don't care for cardio, a big problem if you are prepping for a 10K in a few months.

I am posting because I feel there is an attitude among SOME posters that there way is the only way and I think we can all achieve our fitness goals, but we may take a different path to get there. Personally I prefer metabolic training over traditional strength training because it is more exciting and intense to me. I want to get stronger, but gaining strength is not even in my top 3 fitness goals. At the end of the day I want to lose weight, run longer and faster. When i get closer to my goal weight, my fitness goals may change and lifting heavy may be exactly what I need, but for now it is just not the best choice for my fitness goals. Besides I find traditional strength training boring as hell. It is a chore to do and I get no enjoyment out of it. I do it when I have to, but avoid it if I can. Endurance activities speak to me. So if I had to choose between doing 100 Burpees and BW squats superset over doing 5 heavy weight squats, burpees win .

Remember this is My Fitness PAL, not BODYBUILDING Dot COM. Let's support everyone on their fitness journey and respect the different paths they choose to get there. We may not all have the same goals, but we do share the common desire to be fit and healthy, so can we get there will a little less judgement.

Heavy lifting is not causing me any problems with training for my running goals. I like my muscle and bone density and would like to keep both. I lift heavy a few times per week, am gaining strength, and am doing a marathon training plan.

Burpees never win in my world, deadlifts do. Maybe you should try "a little less judgement".

I didn't see the OP as judgment. She didn't say you or anyone else should not lift heavy or that it would cause problems. She just said please don't derogate others who have different goals or methods.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

I wish i was "j/k"ing. But it's my cross to bear. I didn't even talk about what happened to my eyebrows.

peoples+eyebrow6.jpg
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

DOMS *can* interfere with quality runs, so there does need to be some balance. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I do 2 days a week of lifting and am on a half-marathon plan. I've seen my running form improve immensely due to additional core/hip stabilizer strength.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

I wish i was "j/k"ing. But it's my cross to bear. I didn't even talk about what happened to my eyebrows.

peoples+eyebrow6.jpg

^ Winning!
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Bumo
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump for later
This discussion has been closed.