What type of people are attracted to Myfitnesspal?

Options

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The other day somebody defined MFP as standing for "Muscles, Fatties, and Pervs."

LOL...truth.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Type A, goal oriented, go getter, but also detail oriented here. :)
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    hot chicks....and guys that like to look at hot chicks
  • jbuck93
    jbuck93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Certified Public Accountant here :) Although, I lean more towards a type B personality.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    The awesome ones.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It's made weight loss into sort of a geeky game for me. I like the technology aspect of it, being a computer nerd. It's on my computer, my phone and my ipad, and goes with me EVERYWHERE. I never eat or exercise without noting it on the app, so I no longer eat mindlessly, and exercising is more fun because I get to log it in for credit on the "game". And I like being able to look back and see "this is what I did this week", with charts and graphs.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The awesome ones.

^^^ This.
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Probably. As for myself, I like being organized and I like to be in control. hehe. But honestly, I don't really care for math and science is kind of hard for me :P But I definitely love MFP!
  • smsquash
    smsquash Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...well, I absolutely hate the inconvenience of logging everything. Hate it! I'm terrible at math, and I'm pretty disorganized in general (although I'm really good at language / writing / english and LOVE the blogging component). I like MFP because it works, and because it gives me a plan and helps me to make the right choices. I never think I'm taking in as many calories as I am, so this is good because I can monitor my intake during the day. It also pretty much forces me to exercise because without exercising I'm eating like a bird. And, I eat much healthier when I use it because I hate to starve and if I have to choose between one piece of cheese or an entire giant salad, I'm picking the salad. Basically, MFP reigns me in. Without it I have no concept of what I'm taking in or expending, and that leads to weight gain. I've used it before and had lost nearly 30 pounds. After that I got pregnant and slacked off for a couple of years, lol, but I'm back at it, primarily because it's free, whenever I'm following the calorie plan I eat healthier, exercise more and generally live a healthier lifestyle (which makes me feel great) and I have to carry a smartphone around for my job anyway so I might as well put it to good use.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My personality is pretty moderate (ie, not really "Type A" or "Type B", equal use of left brain/ right brain...).

What attracted me to MFP is:

1) I have two friends who had great success using this site, and

2) It's a daily reminder that this is something I'm actively working towards; otherwise, I tend to get distracted and forget, and

3) Whenever I would try and lose weight in the past I would severely under-eat and fall into dangerous patterns of restrictive behavior. MFP shows me that a day that I might have considered in the past to be a food fest was actually within my daily goal. No anxiety or wondering!

^^This is me too! ^^
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm a geeky numbers, charts and graphs - need a list for everything, post-it queen type of person.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    MFP was the first app of its kind that I came across, I'd never actively tried to lose weight before. It's sort of a game for me, and I like being the high scorer eg, keeping days in a row up, trying to get to macro goals etc. The weight loss has been a bonus :wink:
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options
    I have been using MyFitnessPal for 1 month as of today - I have lost 10 lbs!!! From the minute I started using the app, I was hooked. I have been telling everyone about the success I have had and how great the app is. Some people seem to be interested, while others tend to just give me a polite "I will have to look into that" or "I have done food logs before...."

I am curious if the concept of journaling your food and exercise only appeals to certain types of people. Personally, I am a very detailed oriented, fact based and pro and cons type guy. Math and Science are my favorite areas of study. The people that seem to have an immediate interest tend to be like me. The ones that tend to give me the polite answer, tend to be less like me.

So, I am curious if all Myfitnesspal user share a common characteristic. Is it a personality trait? Are we all good at something?

In food logging curiosity,

John

Hi John! I am the same, 100%. I am very goal oriented, very organized, I like seeing everything in lists, and I like seeing what I put into my body. I think it may be a personality trait. My favorite subjects are math and science as well! I, too, am addicted to MFP lol.....Add me, I could use more friends like yourself!

-Megz
  • kadorseyusa
    Options
    I am probably not that type love history reading etc. however find that this works for me keeps me on track I have lost 21 lbs so far and since my hobby is gourmet cooking being able to track what I eat and make proper substitutions is important. I am the type that has to make the decision for myself and the fitnesspal lets me do that.
  • notdebby
    notdebby Posts: 58
    Options
    I know I'm the type of person who has kept pen and paper food journals in the past. This makes it so much easier. I like lists, flow charts and the like. I'm pretty anal about most things so this fits right into my wheelhouse.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My sister, an accountant, joined and left immediately. I'm a rough and ready scruff who's disorganised, creative and I CAN be intelligent but generally I'm off missing somewhere in my head. So, she is like you and I'm not, so I don't know what that means...

I like it :wink:

What I don't like's the grumpy angry so and so's who looooooooove a debate
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm a bean counter (and nerd) and I love math and science. And being in control. :)
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    <snip>

Not sure if you are familiar with the xcld comics, but that guy gets me. :ohwell:

You mean xkcd?

Yep. I always type it into google wrong. And it never fails to correct me. So I never remember. Thanks :bigsmile:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about MFP is that there are many types of people here following many different weight control and fitness activities for many different goals. So, just as a 25 year old guy who is into weight lifting finds a community here, so does someone like me, a woman in her 60s with over 100 to lose. Primal, clean, low carb, IIFMM, 5:2, shakeology, vegan, high fat, TDEE-20%, heavy cardio, heavy weights, walkers, runners, we are all here.

I happen to be a woman in my 60s with 140 to lose who aims toward TDEE-20% with lots of tasty, homemade food aiming toward a "zone-ish" distribution of macros and the Harvard "Healthy Eating Plate," limited to 1-2 servings of fruit per day and avoiding sugars to maintain appetite control. You and I may share no common characteristics of eating choices but that doesn't mean I'm not here to support you.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I personally like to have a "plan", a list, or some sort of preparation in most things I do, so I probably fit into a similar personality type as yourself. But I think most people who are interested in the myfitnesspal app have tried various diet plans in the past and have failed, much like myself. When I first discovered this app, thanks to my sister, I couldn't believe how easy and user friendly the nutrition logging was. I liked that the food database has zillions of foods already entered, and I really like how it breaks down everything and not just your calories, since I tend to focus just on counting calories without taking anything else into consideration, like the sugar, carbs, protein intake. I've lost about 26lbs using myfitnesspal, and have logged in for 60 days straight! I LOVE the community of people who use this app and I seriously enjoy and use myfitnesspal more than facebook! There's no other place on the internet to go and meet people who deal with similar health/weight issues and struggles. The encouragement and success stories are sometimes the only thing that can keep my motivation us when I have a bad day and think about eating some crap or skipping the gym for a couch surfing session. And seeing EVERYTHING I eat really holds me accountable for it. I honestly don't see myself leaving myfitnesspal anytime soon!

THIS for me!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!