I'm 128 pounds and I think I'm fat....

Options

Replies

• magicalpony
    magicalpony Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just went on 'thinspo' for the first time ever and want to throw up. There are some times that social media is helpful. And there are some times that it is not. This is a latter case.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    At a low healthy weight only exercise and weights will get you to look better and get the shape you want...if you feel fat maybe you need to build some muscle (which will make you thinner looking even at your current weight). Or maybe there is something else going on you need to look into.
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

You might want to switch from thinspo blogs to fitspo blogs. They are more healthy.

^ This x100. Fitspo blogs are so motivational.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Apologies - no offence meant - I am from the UK, sizing here is totally different, I will have to remember that US sizes are much lower than ours next time I post....... it was actually a compliment!

C.
    fwiw, when I saw you say size 10 I immediately knew you meant UK. You didn't do anything wrong. cheers.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just googled Thinspo, what a tragic waste of human lives. Given your height and weight you are not fat. No where near it in fact. Please talk to your doctor or someone you trust about these feelings. If you get help now you can prevent years of damage to your body.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

Follow that link.
    Take 5 minutes to pay attention.
    Then log off the internet for a while.

And go love.

:heart:

Good luck to you.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with being thin if your body and bone structure lean that way. My problem with thinspo tends to be when it tells young women that to be attractive they have to look like those women. Not everyone can healthily obtain a thigh gap, hip bones, etc. A woman can be beautiful and sexy at just about any size. A lot of it is confidence. Find your confidence. Talk to your doctor. Find out what your skeleton will and will not allow while still being healthy. You're at a good weight for your height. You're young. I really do recommend talking to your doctor about what is appropriate for you and finding your confidence.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    OP this is another reply from me:

It is hard to deal with some of the body shapes you see around you - I know. super models, thin girls, celebrities, etc. all have an affect on how you feel about yourself. You have to remember that most of these people have rare body types that are incredibly hard to maintain. Live your life and do not compare yourself to others.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I knew before I opened your profile that you were a teenager. I thought I was a whale when I was your age too (5'7", 115-130 lbs, size 2-4) and obsessed about my body constantly. Sometimes I think it's just part of being a teenage girl in Western society. I know it's hard to believe now, but someday you'll look back and realize that you were beautiful and that you wasted all your time and energy turning inward and focusing so much on your own imperfections, when in reality you looked fantastic and should have been spending your time enjoying life and taking advantage of the power of youth before it slipped away. It's my life's greatest regret that I let my self-absorbed criticisms make me so miserable in my teens and much of my 20's....my low self-esteem tainted everything but most especially the people I allowed into my life. I wasted too many years on loser men and user "friends" who treated me badly, and realize now that I could have done so much better. Please don't make the same mistake. Get out of the mirror, stop comparing yourself to people you'll never even meet and turn your sights outward and forward. Now is the time to decide what kind of adult person you want to be...is it a navel-gazing, miserable self-hater, or would you rather be confident, competent and self-respecting woman? It's your choice.

Damn, this woman is smart. Listen to her.
  • mini_me521
    mini_me521 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am not sure that saying skinny is unattractive is fair. I personally think every body is unique and beautiful. As someone who has struggled with anorexia for years, I can tell you that having those feelings and voices in your head are not by choice, and that you aren't bad or wrong for feeling them. Just proceed with caution and health in mind.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    lift some weights and good food :)
  • raishiwi
    raishiwi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    pick weights up and put them down, a lot.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP's post was 3 years ago.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    What? How.. just why?? Stay away from thinspo. It can make girls crazy just trying to look like that. It is unhealthy for your body and mind.

^^ this is sound advice!
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I think you need a therapist. I am not being being mean, snarky or negative in any way. This kind of issue can become very dangerous.

If therapy is something you are not able or willing to do, at least have a discussion with your doctor.
  • CarpStylist
    CarpStylist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Your mindset is unhealthy. We should all diet and exercise because it makes us feel good not because we want to look like someone. Once you exercise and eat right for your health, guess what, the pounds come off! If thinspo makes you feel bad... Don't look at it. Be happy you have an able and healthy body.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    OP's post was 3 years ago.

Necromancers... necromancers everywhere!

:)

Unrelated, but this thread was showing 5 new posts for me and I've never read it or replied to it. Yay.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here so it's obvious if people aren't reading every post carefully...

7329b4cf_threadNecromancy.jpg
    How do people find these years-old threads and revive them, but no one can ever find the "1200 Calories???" or "Why am I not losing weight?!?!?!?!" or "Do I need to cut out sugar?!" and glean the good advice from those so it doesn't have to be repeated a thousand times? Oh, MFP.

I'm thinking I need to make an MFP bingo card... "you're gaining muscle" "I work out why am I not losing weight" "go low carb" "go vegan"