Seriously Subway??? Don't trust Jared...

Options
I've been having 6" subway sandwiches for lunch for a couple of weeks now, and I thought they were a healthy, fresh and good choice. I would get cheese and just a little dash of Chipotle sauce... and l always logged them in my diary. I was under the impression that a 6" subway sandwich is about ~450 calories....

However, today I opened up Subway's website and calculated the number of calories that my sandwich had - and boy... was I surprised... each sandwich was actually around ~600 calories.

For one day, it's fine.. but in a week, that results in an extra 1,050 calories that I wasn't aware of... It appears that I was grossly underestimating the calories I was eating. No wonder I wasn't loosing as much weight as I was expecting to...

Edited and added the text below:

I like cheese on my sandwiches and I'm fine with allocating calories towards it. My issue was that whenever I would go and log the sandwich that I ate - I would search for it and choose the one with the options that I had ordered. I went back and checked my log for this whole week, and the calories for every sandwich came up short.

I don't drink soda, I don't drink sugary drinks and recently I cut out chocolates (which I love) from my regular diet. I am aware of what I eat and drink, and I am taking steps to improve them and have a better eating habits.

The purpose of this post was only to make people aware that it's important to verify the calories that you are logging for your food. It's really easy to underestimate the calories and think that you are doing awesome... and then get frustrated because you're not loosing weight and then get frustrated and give up.

I GUESS I COULD HAVE TITLED MY POST BETTER. I'LL KEEP IT IN MIND FOR NEXT TIME. I MESSED UP AND I REALIZE IT AND NOW I AM GOING TO BE MORE CAREFUL IN MY CALORIE LOGGING IN THE FUTURE.

COULD YOU ALL CUT ME A LITTLE SLACK PLEASE

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    What kind of meat are you putting on the sub? Mine (according to the website) really is less than 450 calories.

Edit: Also it is a good idea to double check for things like this because different countries often have different calorie amounts. I find that when it comes to fast food places like this, Canadian places tend to have fewer calories than American places...so perhaps your's was accurate...if you were eating in Canada.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    600 calories 3 times a day is not bad at all.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you get. The one I chose is under 400 cal
  • granitendirt
    Options
    Not that I'm necessarily a huge fan of Subway or anything, but they do have lots of low-cal options available. It's been my experience that the calorie content is all pretty readily available too at most chains.

For about 350 cal this morning I had a ham, egg and cheese sandwich with light mayo. It was tasty.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a 600 calorie lunch is a problem.
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Mine is actually about 385. It all depends on what you put on it. That is what I have loved the most about utilizing MFP, I learn what is actually in what I eat, and how to accomodate accordingly. You can definitely make accomodations to Subway to make your sandwich a healthier choice. :smile:
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Jared didnt eat the ones with cheese, if you dont add the cheese then yes they are what they say they are, always have them make the sandwhiches the original way and they will be as advertized - subways recipes never use cheese
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I get wheat bread, ham, salami, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado (it's so good!), and green peppers. I stay away from the sauce. I don't like cheese on my sandwiches.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that Subway has their food mislabeled as to caloric content? Do they list the sandwich as less than what it really is?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    depends on what you get. I can get a Subway - 12" Grilled Chicken on Honey Oat With Spinach, Cucumber, Tomato and Avacado for about 860, so 430 a half

having this for dinner by the way, so I already had it calculated haha
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My choice comes to around 280. But then again, I skip the cheese and sauces and load up on veggies. It's Allllllll in the choice.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's very true- Jared never got the cheese. He probably also didn't eat the chipotle sauce which is full of calories! If you want a low-cal sauce go for the mustard or honey mustard. Fyi, the honey mustard sauce looks creamy and high-cal, but it really is a low-cal option. (I forget exactly but like 5-10 calories maybe)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat and cheese are known to be processed and loaded
    with sodium in general. Bread, although grains can be healthy
    are calorie/carb heavy ..depending on what you were ordering
    it might be ok but certain cheeses/meats are worse. Can you
    just get your usual and cut it into two seperate meals?
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I generally have my subs at 350 or less...though if I'm trying to eat healthy I usually avoid cheese, mayo and sauce. The only thing higher calorie I get is avocado.
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mine is 340 ...

The ones "Jared" advertise have no cheese, no mayo, etc. on them. You can still eat Subway pretty healthy, you just have to not get some of the fun stuff :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    lol @ 150cals being a "gross underestimation"
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    My choice comes to around 280. But then again, I skip the cheese and sauces and load up on veggies. It's Allllllll in the choice.

Probably the best way to go.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You don't really specify what type of sandwich you are eating. I get the 6" turkey and it's about 280 calories without cheese.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You go to Subway every day and order the same thing?