Seriously Subway??? Don't trust Jared...

Options

Replies

• JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The only place we eat out at is subway. The choices that I have chosen are no more than 400 cals and that's with all veggies except onions and hot peppers and dressing sometimes I add cheese and sometimes not even with cheese it is no more than 400.:flowerforyou:
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I've been having 6" subway sandwiches for lunch for a couple of weeks now, and I thought they were a healthy, fresh and good choice. I would get cheese and just a little dash of Chipotle sauce... and l always logged them in my diary. I was under the impression that a 6" subway sandwich is about ~450 calories....

However, today I opened up Subway's website and calculated the number of calories that my sandwich had - and boy... was I surprised... each sandwich was actually around ~600 calories.

For one day, it's fine.. but in a week, that results in an extra 1,050 calories that I wasn't aware of... It appears that I was grossly underestimating the calories I was eating. No wonder I wasn't loosing as much weight as I was expecting to...
    Jared walked a mile each way every time he went to get a sub, so he burned off several hundred calories each day just doing that.

Also, I don't think he had cheese on his subs and he got very specific ones.

It is not his nor Subway's fault that you didn't do your due diligence.

yes this.
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Most people underestimate their daily calories/portions by 20-30%. When I look at my daily calories, if I haven't been able to exactly measure portions on things, I up the calorie values on them by 20%. I would suggest that anyone who isn't measuring/weighing all their food do the same, if they are trying to lose weight.

That said, calories aside, there isn't much about a Subway sandwich that is healthy. The bread has corn syrup in it and a bunch of other crap, the meat is processed and full of sodium. Eating lunch meat regularly is a cancer risk and the veggies are far from fresh. It's also much more expensive than cooking a large thing of whole grain pasta, tossing it with olive oil, garlic, sauteed veggies and some crumbled italian sausage, portioning it, throwing a tablespoon of parmesan on top and bringing it to work with you. 1 pan, 1 pot, 1 knife, 1 cutting board, 15 minutes of prep time and $10.00 of ingredients will feed your for the week.

I understand that bringing lunch to work everyday is difficult and sometimes you have to get something on the go, but the best way to watch calories at lunch is to cook in bulk, portion for the week and pack to go. There really isn't much in the way of quick, affordable restaurant options, that are actually healthy. It sucks, but it's true. Don't trust any fast food.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a 600 calorie lunch is a problem.

I'd tend to agree with this. However, OP is stating that it's an extra 150 each day that was unaccounted for.

How has nearly everyone on this thread missed the fact that OP stated the calories were not bad for what she was eating, but that she had been logging them incorrectly with the MFP calories vs the Subway website calories? I think the point was that people need to verify the calorie count for what they are logging. :ohwell:
  • hetx2mommy
    hetx2mommy Posts: 26
    Options
    the sandwich i get is under 300 cals - turkey avocado on wheat. the avocado i use as my "sauce" so no mayo/ranch/ etc and no cheese.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I thought I read somewhere he walked to get it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Fogle other sources say around 6 miles either way lot of walking + turkey subs with no mayo etc

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/02/23/jared-fogle-subway-diet/1928793/

they tend to leave that bit out tho since it sounds better marketing wise to say "eat subway - lose weight" the hidden msg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a 600 calorie lunch is a problem.

I'd tend to agree with this. However, OP is stating that it's an extra 150 each day that was unaccounted for.

How has nearly everyone on this thread missed the fact that OP stated the calories were not bad for what she was eating, but that she had been logging them incorrectly with the MFP calories vs the Subway website calories? I think the point was that people need to verify the calorie count for what they are logging. :ohwell:
    I think the problem is she blamed Subway for her lack of research.
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The purpose of this post was only to make people aware that it's important to verify the calories that your logging for your food. It's really easy to underestimate the calories and think that you are doing awesome... and then get frustrated because you're not loosing weight and then get frustrated and give up.

I love locations, like Subway, that has a calorie calculator on their website where you can add or subtract items and determine the likely calories you are eating. I am much more likely to go to a place like this over a place that will not share their nutritional information.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think I found the reason there are warning labels on things like toasters and hair dryers
    gifByrdiagree.gif
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't even consider the calorie count for Subway at all, they are full of salt that's enough to put me off for just once in a very blue moon!
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    That's why I stick to turkey or just plain veggie. No cheese & just mustard.
  • Ccole90
    Ccole90 Posts: 7
    Options
    a trick i learned off of watching the biggest loser, you can ask them to scoop out the bread on the inside so it makes a little pocket (and less carbs!), and i would go for a ham and cheese on whole grain/wheat, or opt out of cheese because it has a ton of calories (i love cheese so thats a hard thing for me to say lol), and load up on veggies. 600 isn't too bad for a lunch or dinner, as long as you're working out. If you are just sitting around all day that could be a problem lol. Also try not to get anything but mustard on it, because mustard is ZERO calories *whoop whoop* :) I love subway.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    turkey on wheat with no sauces is a lower cal sub there.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I've been having 6" subway sandwiches for lunch for a couple of weeks now, and I thought they were a healthy, fresh and good choice. I would get cheese and just a little dash of Chipotle sauce... and l always logged them in my diary. I was under the impression that a 6" subway sandwich is about ~450 calories....

However, today I opened up Subway's website and calculated the number of calories that my sandwich had - and boy... was I surprised... each sandwich was actually around ~600 calories.

For one day, it's fine.. but in a week, that results in an extra 1,050 calories that I wasn't aware of... It appears that I was grossly underestimating the calories I was eating. No wonder I wasn't loosing as much weight as I was expecting to...

Edited and added the text below:

I like cheese on my sandwiches and I'm fine with allocating calories towards it. My issue was that whenever I would go and log the sandwich that I ate - I would search for it and choose the one with the options that I had ordered. I went back and checked my log for this whole week, and the calories for every sandwich came up short.

I don't drink soda, I don't drink sugary drinks and recently I cut out chocolates (which I love) from my regular diet. I am aware of what I eat and drink, and I am taking steps to improve them and have a better eating habits.

The purpose of this post was only to make people aware that it's important to verify the calories that you are logging for your food. It's really easy to underestimate the calories and think that you are doing awesome... and then get frustrated because you're not loosing weight and then get frustrated and give up.

I GUESS I COULD HAVE TITLED MY POST BETTER. I'LL KEEP IT IN MIND FOR NEXT TIME. I MESSED UP AND I REALIZE IT AND NOW I AM GOING TO BE MORE CAREFUL IN MY CALORIE LOGGING IN THE FUTURE.

COULD YOU ALL CUT ME A LITTLE SLACK PLEASE

NELSON-vi.gif
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    The purpose of this post was only to make people aware that it's important to verify the calories that you are logging for your food. It's really easy to underestimate the calories and think that you are doing awesome... and then get frustrated because you're not loosing weight and then get frustrated and give up.
    Excellent point! Studies have shown that the majority of people underestimate their caloric intake. If you're trying to be at a certain calorie goal, make sure you check everything, don't guess if there is any possible way to avoid it.
    I GUESS I COULD HAVE TITLED MY POST BETTER. I'LL KEEP IT IN MIND FOR NEXT TIME. I MESSED UP AND I REALIZE IT AND NOW I AM GOING TO BE MORE CAREFUL IN MY CALORIE LOGGING IN THE FUTURE.

OP, most people in here aren't trying to attack you. We were just trying to point out that it wasn't Subway/Jared's fault, as you've stated here. Don't take it personally. It's just the internet. :flowerforyou:
  • lifechanger30
    lifechanger30 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    and now I am craving subways roasted chicken breast - thnx guys :bigsmile:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Don't take it personally. It's just the internet. :flowerforyou:
    #disclaimer
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I don't know if all Subways do this, but here you can turn any sub into a salad. That saves quite a bit of calories and adds volume to your meal. But yes, it's always a good idea to double check the nutritional data.

I just found this out the other day. I had already ordered so I didn't get one but am very excited to try one the next time I go to Subway!
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    The one I order is 260 cal...it's totally possible depending on your tastes. The creamy sauces are where they get you with the cals! :P
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

OP, I learned this lesson myself. I titled a post something I thought was sarcastic and funny but most people didn't see it that way. lesson learned.