Seriously Subway??? Don't trust Jared...

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Simple fix. Don't eat subway.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    OP don't worry. It is easy to forget or estimate things on a restaurant sandwich. Subway is a great option and you can score a great sub for 350 cals.
  • bhavnoor
    bhavnoor Posts: 36
    Options

I GUESS I COULD HAVE TITLED MY POST BETTER. I'LL KEEP IT IN MIND FOR NEXT TIME. I MESSED UP AND I REALIZE IT AND NOW I AM GOING TO BE MORE CAREFUL IN MY CALORIE LOGGING IN THE FUTURE.

COULD YOU ALL CUT ME A LITTLE SLACK PLEASE

OP, I learned this lesson myself. I titled a post something I thought was sarcastic and funny but most people didn't see it that way. lesson learned.

:flowerforyou:
  • TheRainQueen
    TheRainQueen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It depends what you put on it..if you do double meat and cheese and various sauce etc etc..you're in for a rude awakening. If you do lean meat (like the turkey breast) and load it with veggies..it can definitely be under 600 calories. I'd think the most calories come from the bread anyway. Carbs. BUT that doesn't mean you can't just burn it off with exercise either. So uh..I don't really get how you wouldn't not trust Jared but to each his/her own. I'd lose weight doing a subway diet like him. I've lost weight doing calorie counting and exercise.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    I've been having 6" subway sandwiches for lunch for a couple of weeks now, and I thought they were a healthy, fresh and good choice. I would get cheese and just a little dash of Chipotle sauce... and l always logged them in my diary. I was under the impression that a 6" subway sandwich is about ~450 calories....

However, today I opened up Subway's website and calculated the number of calories that my sandwich had - and boy... was I surprised... each sandwich was actually around ~600 calories.

For one day, it's fine.. but in a week, that results in an extra 1,050 calories that I wasn't aware of... It appears that I was grossly underestimating the calories I was eating. No wonder I wasn't loosing as much weight as I was expecting to...

Edited and added the text below:

I like cheese on my sandwiches and I'm fine with allocating calories towards it. My issue was that whenever I would go and log the sandwich that I ate - I would search for it and choose the one with the options that I had ordered. I went back and checked my log for this whole week, and the calories for every sandwich came up short.

I don't drink soda, I don't drink sugary drinks and recently I cut out chocolates (which I love) from my regular diet. I am aware of what I eat and drink, and I am taking steps to improve them and have a better eating habits.

The purpose of this post was only to make people aware that it's important to verify the calories that you are logging for your food. It's really easy to underestimate the calories and think that you are doing awesome... and then get frustrated because you're not loosing weight and then get frustrated and give up.

I GUESS I COULD HAVE TITLED MY POST BETTER. I'LL KEEP IT IN MIND FOR NEXT TIME. I MESSED UP AND I REALIZE IT AND NOW I AM GOING TO BE MORE CAREFUL IN MY CALORIE LOGGING IN THE FUTURE.

Not Subway's fault but still an understandable mistake and I can sympathize because it does suck to think you know how many calories are in something only to find out, nope! At least you know now and don't worry to much about people in this thread, some may be pros now but they still make mistakes and probably made worse ones than this before they got here, we're all human. Still 600 is not bad but when you found out the truth I bet it still feel like you were lied to somehow, keep your chin up, glad you found out.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    ahem...
    i'd go for turkey no cheese, NO CREAMY SAUCES...

That'll knock you down well over 100 calories - easily.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I sometimes (not always) skip the cheese, but generally stick with mustard and skip the other sauces (have lots of veggies of course).
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I think I found the reason there are warning labels on things like toasters and hair dryers

OMG, I just googled warning labels to post one here and I cant. I am too busy seriously LOLing at them all that I just cant do it.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Wait, you misjudged the calories, but you shouldn't trust Jared. How does that work?

Sounds more like you shouldn't trust you.

Did you not see what the OP posted or do you just like being mean:grumble:
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I've been having 6" subway sandwiches for lunch for a couple of weeks now, and I thought they were a healthy, fresh and good choice. I would get cheese and just a little dash of Chipotle sauce... and l always logged them in my diary. I was under the impression that a 6" subway sandwich is about ~450 calories....

However, today I opened up Subway's website and calculated the number of calories that my sandwich had - and boy... was I surprised... each sandwich was actually around ~600 calories.

For one day, it's fine.. but in a week, that results in an extra 1,050 calories that I wasn't aware of... It appears that I was grossly underestimating the calories I was eating. No wonder I wasn't loosing as much weight as I was expecting to...

Edited and added the text below:

I like cheese on my sandwiches and I'm fine with allocating calories towards it. My issue was that whenever I would go and log the sandwich that I ate - I would search for it and choose the one with the options that I had ordered. I went back and checked my log for this whole week, and the calories for every sandwich came up short.

I don't drink soda, I don't drink sugary drinks and recently I cut out chocolates (which I love) from my regular diet. I am aware of what I eat and drink, and I am taking steps to improve them and have a better eating habits.

The purpose of this post was only to make people aware that it's important to verify the calories that you are logging for your food. It's really easy to underestimate the calories and think that you are doing awesome... and then get frustrated because you're not loosing weight and then get frustrated and give up.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Just cut out the cheeses, sauces and mayo and youll be okay! My turkey subs from there (6 inch) are about 350 calories.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Wait, you misjudged the calories, but you shouldn't trust Jared. How does that work?

that was an edit added well after the post you are quoting.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

In fairness, OP edited her post with the info in caps AFTER the commenter above questioned the logic of misplaced trust. Based solely on the thread title and the content of the original, unedited post, it was a fair question with zero malice.
  • brc912
    brc912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just FYI... The sodium content in Subway sandwiches may also hinder your weight loss... Deli meats are EXTREMELY HIGH in sodium.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like subway once in awhile, but I mainly avoid it due to the fact that it can come close to being half of my recommended daily sodium intake.

Also, since they added their own calculator, it may be better to preplan what sub you want to order before heading it. =)
    If you like cheese, you could ask them to use one slice rather than two to fit the sub and have it torn in half. None of the subs I like are over 500 calories, and if I have subs it is usually for dinner.
  • younginaz
    younginaz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not only Subway. For the longest time I was using a MFP calulation for Asparagust that said 9 spears was 100 calories. So I only had nine spears. They I found out it is really more like 14 calories and I could have been having more more more.

Gotta be careful all everywhere. :)
  • Walkbyfaith1971
    Walkbyfaith1971 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found this website to help with getting the calorie count for a "personalized" subway sandwich. :smile:

http://www.nutritionix.com/subway/nutrition-calculator
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    600 calories 3 times a day is not bad at all.

thats 1800.... which is way too much for a female and not healthy what so ever to be your only 3 meals
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a 600 calorie lunch is a problem.

Depends on what you are eating the rest of the day. I think thats the question.

If you are a smaller woman, a 600 calorie lunch is DEFINITELY an issue. MFP estimates that I should eat 1,210 net calories per day, in order to lose .5 lbs per week (I am a healthy weight and body comp, but want to get to my ideal). My UP band estimates my calorie burn for vigorous physical activity (typically cross training or football) at about 200 calories per hour. If I ate 3, 600 calorie meals and no snacks, that would be 1,800 calories, and I would need to exercise 3 hours a day to maintain.

In general, unless you are larger, only eat 1 large meal and then maintain with small meals, or don't snack, I think 600 calories in one sitting is a lot for an everyday thing... once in awhile, sure. Everyday, not so much.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Get a veggie if you want less calories. Getting sauces other than mustard will ALWAYSmake the calories much higher. Type in subway meal calculator on google and calculate your calories. My 6" sub is only 220 calories.

Also keep in mind that subway is okay every once in a while, but there bread DOES have High Fructose Corn Syrup. Yucky.

40391093.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    600 calories 3 times a day is not bad at all.

thats 1800.... which is way too much for a female and not healthy what so ever to be your only 3 meals
    My TDEE -20% is 1850. I'm female, only eating 3 meals/day, exercise 4-7 days/week, and losing healthily.