Please share your favourite quinoa recipes!!

Options

Replies

• iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking that I need some quinoa recipes. Bump for me!
  • maroonhokiegirl
    maroonhokiegirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've seen a couple people mention this recipe, but it is my absolute favorite, and I modify it a bit, so I thought I'd share =)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/

I only use 1 can of beans, because I thought it was a bit too bean-heavy the first time. I also use a bag of Tyson Southwestern chicken strips (they're already cooked and in the sandwich meat section at the grocery store) and diced them, to add a bit of meat.

I put this concoction into a pita pocket and take it with me to work. The recipe makes almost double what I need for lunches for the week, and the portion size makes it about 240 calories per pocket, including the pocket itself. Its delicious, satisfying, and filling, which is amazing and hard for me to find! And I have leftovers to snack on or use as a side with dinner during the week :)
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Danielle0227
    Danielle0227 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump! :-)
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stefnicole
    stefnicole Posts: 106
    Options
    bumping!
  • pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bumpb
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite for breakfast. 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 tablespoon honey. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, cream together, enjoy.
    I also enjoy quinoa for breakfast.
    Typically, I make a batch of plain quinoa (1 cup of well-rinsed quinoa and 2 cups of water). I then just scoop out what I need for the rest of the week. The one cup of uncooked gives me SIX half cup servings - which covers breakfast for the work week.

For breakfast, I use 1/2 cup cooked quinoa with an handful (approx. 1/8 cup) of dried cranberries and 1-2 Tbsp shredded coconut, brown sugar (or whatever sweetener you like) and coconut/almond milk to taste.
    Heat in the microwave until warm and enjoy!
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Bump....totally looking for new quinoa recipes
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Love this one. Made it the other day as a side for dinner and had left overs for lunch! I added some dried apricots and a smidge of cinnamon. Delish!

Warm Fruited Quinoa

Serves 8, 1/4 cup servings
    Vegan, Gluten Free
    Printable Recipe

Ingredients

1 cup quinoa
    1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
    1/4 cup walnuts
    1/4 cup chopped dates (I used Medjool dates)
    1/4 cup raisins
    1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/8 tsp coarse grind sea salt and some fresh ground pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Rinse quinoa and heat in a small saucepan with vegetable broth over medium high heat; bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover; cook 15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes. Separate 2 cups of the cooked quinoa and reserve the remaining for a later use.

2. Add walnuts, dates, raisins, olive oil, salt and pepper to the quinoa. Stir to combine and serve warm.

Nutrition Facts
    8 Servings
    Amount Per Serving

Calories 129.1
    Total Fat 4.9 g
    Saturated Fat 0.4 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1.6 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.5 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 20.5 mg
    Potassium 84.3 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
    Sugars 7.4 g
    Protein 3.0 g

Vitamin B-6 1.9 %
    Vitamin C 0.4 %
    Vitamin E 1.7 %
    Calcium 0.7 %
    Copper 3.8 %
    Folate 1.1 %
    Iron 9.0 %
    Magnesium 2.2 %
    Manganese 6.8 %
    Niacin 0.8 %
    Pantothenic Acid 0.5 %
    Phosphorus 16.5 %
    Riboflavin 32.6 %
    Selenium 0.5 %
    Thiamin 1.4 %
    Zinc 0.8 %

http://www.floridacoastalcooking.com/2013/01/warm-fruited-quinoa.html
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite for breakfast. 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 tablespoon honey. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, cream together, enjoy.
    I also enjoy quinoa for breakfast.
    Typically, I make a batch of plain quinoa (1 cup of well-rinsed quinoa and 2 cups of water). I then just scoop out what I need for the rest of the week. The one cup of uncooked gives me SIX half cup servings - which covers breakfast for the work week.

For breakfast, I use 1/2 cup cooked quinoa with an handful (approx. 1/8 cup) of dried cranberries and 1-2 Tbsp shredded coconut, brown sugar (or whatever sweetener you like) and coconut/almond milk to taste.
    Heat in the microwave until warm and enjoy!

These ideas look delicious too!! I haven't had quinoa for breakfast. May have to try these.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Chef Jose Garces has a book out called, The Latin Road Home, and it's got a quinoa recipe that's awesome. I'm not sure I can put it on here because of copyright issues, but the recipe is called Crema de Quinoa de Zuleta. Here's a link to where it's posted for free without violating the copyright: http://www.npr.org/documents/2012/nov/soup.pdf

I made it for my wife on Valentine's day and it was incredible. I love it.

Edit: This is not a low calorie dish by any stretch of the imagination. Use it sparingly.
  • melaniegreben
    melaniegreben Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    BUFFALO CHICKEN QUINOA:

1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water
    garlic
    3/4 pound shredded chicken breast
    1/2 package of carrot/cabbage slaw
    1/3 to 1/2 cup (depending on how hot you want it) Frank's red hot buffalo wing sauce
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/4 cup milk (optional)
    green onions
    blue cheese crumbles

1. Rinse and drain quinoa. Cook quinoa and water by bringing to boil then covering and simmering on low heat for ~20 min. I like to put some garlic into the water to flavor. Fluff with fork.
    2. Mix buffalo sauce and olive oil in small bowl. Once quinoa is cooked add the sauce, carrot/cabbage, and the shredded chicken.
    3. If too sticky/thick add some milk
    4. Add desired amount of blue cheese and green onions. Enjoy!
  • louise62602
    Options
    bump
  • morningal
    morningal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try some of these!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I just made this, such a great summer salad.
    Quinoa Vegetable Salad with Lemon-Basil Dressing
    http://pinterest.com/pin/48061920996226866/
  • almamarines
    almamarines Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You have to try all recipe's black beans and quinoa; this stuff is amazing and you will love it. Plus, you can eat it cold too and take as a lunch. Try adding protein(shrimp, salmon or chicken breast) with it for a satisfying dinner that will keep you full forever.
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yum yum bump