What type of people are attracted to Myfitnesspal?

Options

Replies

• pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a math/science person. A nurse by trade. I like keeping lists, numbers, and seeing my weight and inches-lost graph keep trending a downward slope. I like the success stories and getting info from forums, unless they turn argumentative. I don't need the friends list because I really don't have time for that. I think this site attracts a variety of people for a variety of reasons.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I'm a technical rep for a roofing company. I'm really nerdy, really goofy, and a tad bit sarcastic at times.
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like the large food database

And the forums make me feel like a genius

Love this :laugh:
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm a PhD student at the moment and I was not satisfied with the WW points system, because I always want to understand something to the fullest (within my means) and I always felt lots of the science of weight loss, fat loss, muscle gain etc was kept away, and I personally require the opposite.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I like calculus-like hard to figure out problems and was a nerdy diligent student in highschool and university, but my profession is all about building relationships and thinking creatively and with an open mind. I would never consider myself the type to stick to a routine or consistently log something, yet I have been logging my food daily and consistently now for over a year. I kind of like it. This makes me think maybe I can sneak some organization or routine in other areas of my life now too!:)
  • LeanAmbitions
    Options
    I am not a mathematical, analytic type of person AT ALL. Total opposite. I tried journaling before the old-fashioned way and I couldn't keep up with it. I know it works best for me to keep track of my food intake, though, so MFP is GREAT for me. I like it because I can just type in what the food is, select it, and it does all the math and inputting of details for me. I think any type of person could make it work!
  • Crysiira
    Crysiira Posts: 7
    Options
    Actually I hate math! Lol. I tried journaling on paper and couldn't keep up with the daily math. I love that MFP does that for me! My mom on the other hand, even though she's not a big math fan either, says it's easier for her to do it on paper because doing the math herself helps her understand where the calories are going.

I am an artist, free-spirit type. But I do have a tiny organizational streak. I think MFP appeals to that small part of me that wants to file things in their proper place!

Plus, since diligently logging every day for the past two months, I've lost nearly 20lb. So that's definitely keeping me coming back to the site. I know I wouldn't be doing so well if I wasn't constantly keeping track of every damn thing I put in my mouth.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Writer.

8488541.png
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound weird but I get a lot of pleasure out measuring things out, cooking them, then putting them into the recipe tab on here and seeing what the macros are and then i look at it and see what i can change to make the macros better like less calorie, more protein etc.

i would say cooking and eating great food is better than sex. yep went there.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Gotta go with what works, I guess. Move more, eat at a deficit to lose weight. Pay attention and stuff. But I am "How stuff works" minded. I like to be precise in my work and fix machines.
  • titinaw1
    titinaw1 Posts: 2
    Options
    This is the same thing that attracts me. Visual progress and data accumulation. I am a teacher... hmmm... any correlation? I wonder :D
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I like graphs, reports, lists... pretty much everything about MFP lol. I just love data! I'm kind of geeky like that but I would not describe myself as the nerdy type.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I wanted something free and easy to use. MFP fit the bill. Then I made some awesome, supportive friends, so I stuck around for the fellowship and laughs.
  • sabrafox
    sabrafox Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like it because it makes me aware of what I'm putting into my body, so even if I make a bad choice, once I've logged it, I'm much more likely not to do it again.
    Also, now that I have several personal friends on here, I like the social media aspect. We're able to encourage each other on a day to day basis in a way that would be too public on FB, but in the confines of MFP seems just right.
  • NeilATL
    NeilATL Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The iPhone app is very convenient and easy---I absolutely love the barcode scanner feature. I have learned so much about portions and healthy eating. I have changed my habits over the course of a year and it is amazing. I have learned more about protein intake, carb cycling, and general nutrition from the friends that I have on MFP.

There are many people on this site who have taken time to research various topics, so you have many accomplished people on here who have expertise in various areas.

My absolute main reason for being on this site is the great group of supporters that I have. Some are quiet, some are absolutely crazy, some are hot, and some are not. However, they all share one collective goal---to look better, feel better, and lead a healthy life.
  • Janyaa
    Janyaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm flighty and inconsistent. I do best with instant gratification and short-term goals. I'm really good at starting things, but have difficulty finishing them. This is especially if the project I'm working on lasts for an extended period of time (longer than 6-8 weeks.)

I'm an empathizer and a supporter. I like to cheer others on to their goals and feel others doing the same for me. I'm not very competitive with others, but I do like to be competitive with myself. I tend to be more "big picture" than detail-oriented. I think MFP's social aspect has been what has helped me stay motivated the most.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Some people are just lazy. Plain and simple.
  • Dollfun1
    Dollfun1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been using MyFitnessPal for 1 month as of today - I have lost 10 lbs!!! From the minute I started using the app, I was hooked. I have been telling everyone about the success I have had and how great the app is. Some people seem to be interested, while others tend to just give me a polite "I will have to look into that" or "I have done food logs before...."

I am curious if the concept of journaling your food and exercise only appeals to certain types of people. Personally, I am a very detailed oriented, fact based and pro and cons type guy. Math and Science are my favorite areas of study. The people that seem to have an immediate interest tend to be like me. The ones that tend to give me the polite answer, tend to be less like me.

So, I am curious if all Myfitnesspal user share a common characteristic. Is it a personality trait? Are we all good at something?

In food logging curiosity,

John

Hi John:

I just started this week and I feel like I am addicted. I am also organized and have an attention to detail. I enjoy science, but not a science wiz ~ and math is my four letter word. I am actually trying to get through math right now and feel like I am constantly hitting brick walls, wish I could borrow your brain since you are a math and science kind of guy, lol.

Sounds like you are on a great path to success. Wishing you nothing but the best while kicking some serious tush in becoming more healthier.

Christine
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love math and anything to do with numbers.
  • Sparkz1920
    Sparkz1920 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just simply want to lose weight...And in all honesty, all of this is fun for me. I enjoy logging my food and exercise and watching the things I eat. I enjoy exercise.

My fav areas of study are English and History...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!