Protein powder reviews! Read and add

Options

Replies

• A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love Beverly International UMP protein powders. They taste Fantastic - at least to me and my hubby. We usually make on for after our workout. Here's the stats
    120 calories, 3 fat, 5 carbs, 20 protein
    Usually around $35 for 2 pounds.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    phd diet whey.

L- carnitine
    CLA
    green tea
    Flaxseed

great taste, low calorie. easy to use. wont go back
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    To those of you who use True Nutrition, what do you usually get? I have been thinking about ordering from there, but overwhelmed with all the choices and options they have!

As far as my reviews: I have tried much more than these, but these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head

Body Fortress - Strawberry - I renamed to CrapBerry. I tried to stomach it, because I hate wasting any money. Eventually just threw it out. You can buy it at Wal-mart, but I strongly advise against it.

GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 - I tried the Fruit Punch and Vanilla
    Serving Size is in three scoops - I always used just one scoop though. For three scoops it was 280cals 1g fat 7g carbs and 60g protein.
    The Fruit punch was amazing when trying to make a smoothie or mixing it with some G2 during a workout. It wasn't that great with just water though.
    The Vanilla was pretty good as well. I usually just mixed it with almond milk. and if I felt a little crazy I would throw in some other things.
    You can buy it at GNC or GNC.com.

Muscletech 100% Ultra Pure Whey Isolate -Rich Chocolate bought at Sam's Club for like $18 for 3lbs
    It mixes really good in a cup if you use a whisk , blender or bottle. Forget it if you are using a spoon or a fork though.
    It taste amazing compared to most I have tried.160 calories per scoop with 1g fat 9g carbs and 30g of protein

Premier Ready Made Shakes - Chocolate and Vanilla - bought at Sam's as well.
    They came pre-made in their little petra packs. The Vanilla was horrid and the chocolate was tolerable, it was convenient to have them ready to go, but price and taste didn't make it worth it.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    its the "cleanest" protein powder i use. not the best tasting, but has the best results.
    musclefx hydrobolicfx
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ Ripped - French Vanilla
    -Per Scoop - 100 cal - 1g fat, 3g carb (1g sugar), 20g protein
    -Has some kind of thermo boost in the mix that burns your throat when you drink it - I couldn't finish 1/2 of it

Syntrax Nectar Sweets Vanilla (whey isolate)
    - Per Scoop - 100 cal - 24g protein
    - I use this almost every day - mixes well and has a great flavor
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    These are some great options! I will definitely put some of these on my list for ordering. I already have a lot, but I am tempted to get more since vitacost has a 12% off coupon today and tomorrow only, and free shipping over $49. Promo code is SAVE715 if you are interested.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few different brands, and like to buy the unflavored, as I throw in kale, berries, bananas and other fruit, Greek yogurt, cocoa powder, peanut butter, coconut, coconut milk, etc. Not all at one time... :) Most of the ones I've tried have had a "chalky taste" that I can't stand. I have ended up using Jarrows Unflavored Whey Protein Powder. Is this a good brand to use? I haven't seen this one mentioned yet. Admittedly, I use them for taste preference, but if they were known to have a lot of crap in them, I'd switch! Thanks.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Cytosport 100% Whey Concentrated and Isolated Whey Protein Vanilla flavor
    Tasty; Good base for the crap I like to load my shakes up with. One of the cheapest that I trust.
    Best with (IMO):
    -8 oz Almond Breeze unsweetened Almond/Coconut milk blend
    -7g Raw Cacao nibs for texture (like chewy chocolate chips!)
    -10g Chia seeds for fiber
    -15g MCT oil for satiety, etc.
    -3 tbsp cocoa for flavor & theobromine
    Protein Type: Concentrated and Isolated Whey
    Price:~$47+ tax for 6lbs
    Purchased: Costco in-store
    Serving Size: 1 Scoop (36g), Calories: 140, Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 3g, Protein: 27g

i use the chocolate variety

ill be mixing in one scoop with my chocolate MetRX meal replacement powder.

i use fat free skim milk and 1/2 cup of bunny honey vanilla yogurt
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    i current use this one..

0f80d943644edc9cc3e8e8925da502f6.png

Serving Size: 2 scoops (56g)
    Servings Per Container: 17

Amount Per Serving:

Total Calories: 203
    Protein: 40g
    Total Carbohydrates: 2.2g
    -Sugars: 1.2g
    -Dietary Fibre: 2g
    Fat: 2.8g
    -Saturates: 1.2g
    -Of which MCTs: 1g
    Sodium: 101mg
    Calcium: 493mg
    Phosphorus: 224mg
    Magnesium: 134mg
    Vitamin A: 400µg
    Vitamin D: 2.2µg
    Vitamin E: 4.4mgTE
    Vitamin C: 30mg
    Vitamin B1: 0.8mg
    Vitamin B2: 0.8mg
    Nicotinamide: 8.9mg
    Vitamin B6: 1.3mg
    Folic Acid: 100mg
    Vitamin B12: 0.5µg
    Biotin: 50µg
    Pantothenic Acid: 3mg
    Total branched chain amino acids (BCAA’s): 9g
    Total L-Glutamine/Glutamic Acid: 8g
    Soy Isoflavones: 7mg

I mix with water, sometimes 350ml sometimes 400ml. It mixes fine, tastes ok..

Today i tried it with other stuff blended in, celery and banana....... not bad

Its the only one i have used, so i have nothing to compare it to.

ETA: i use mine as a meal replacement for when im mostly at work/to busy to eat.
  • kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a protein powder guru.

I was trying to find the best non-GMO and came across Perfect Fit Protein. Its vegan and raw as well. It doesn't really have much of a flavor so you can mix it in your smoothies or what have you. I used it for protein pancakes which I know a lot of people are just because it has egg whites instead of flour or pancake mix.

And I have heard that you can use certain protein powders to thicken up sauces but I haven't tried it yet.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    I have tried a few different brands, and like to buy the unflavored, as I throw in kale, berries, bananas and other fruit, Greek yogurt, cocoa powder, peanut butter, coconut, coconut milk, etc. Not all at one time... :) Most of the ones I've tried have had a "chalky taste" that I can't stand. I have ended up using Jarrows Unflavored Whey Protein Powder. Is this a good brand to use? I haven't seen this one mentioned yet. Admittedly, I use them for taste preference, but if they were known to have a lot of crap in them, I'd switch! Thanks.

Look up the source of the protein and the macros and that will tell you what it is and how much filler there is. The more filler, the less good. I also prefer whey as my protein source. Vegetable sources don't absorb as well (though they are great if you can't have milk for one reason or another). Soy is a source of estrogen: No thank you.
  • reese373
    reese373 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cellucore is great
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out this report...some of the ones that have been posted are on this list.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm

I just started using Garden of Life RAW Protein and love it, and feel that I am using a much healthier product.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    You may want to check out this report...some of the ones that have been posted are on this list.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm

I just started using Garden of Life RAW Protein and love it, and feel that I am using a much healthier product.

None of mine are listed here. I wonder if they have been tested... There are so many chemicals, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, heavy metals etc in so many of the things we consume, I'm not sure that this would even place on the list. Nevertheless, thank you for the information.
  • melindalancaster1
    melindalancaster1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK AVOID Holland and Barratts Precision whey protein, its awful! leaves a nasty chemical aftertaste.

I'm still looking for a good one in the UK (I want to avoid the hefty postage costs!)

A personal trainer at my gym said he reckons they're full of chemicals and not much good for you? I'm still open minded as lots of people on here seem to have success with them.

I really welcome this review.
    PHD do brill high quality proteins in the uk many types to choose from depending on what you want a good place to look is monstersupplements.com they have brill prices on all brands and often its free p&p
  • ceejatec
    ceejatec Posts: 6
    Options
    Lots of good information here for the future, thanks! So far I've only used one powder myself:

Syntha-6 Strawberry Milkshake
    Really tastes pretty fantastic; like, I actually look forward to having the shake.
    Mixes best with a bit of crushed ice and 5oz water to one scoop. I tried it with 2% milk at first and it's too rich, and has a bit of a burningly sweet aftertaste. But in plain water it's nummy. Blends super-easy and completely in a basic shaker bottle.
    I've just ordered some of the Cookies and Cream flavor, and will report back when it arrives.
    Serving size: 1 scoop (42g), Calories: 190, Fat 6g (2g saturated), Carbs 13g (5g fiber, 3g sugars), Protein 22g.

Some don't approve of Syntha-6 because it's got a higher percentage of fat and carbs, but if you're using it for meal replacement like me that's actually a good thing. That said, I will probably be looking for some more "pure protein" powders for use on days that I get too many carbs elsewhere. I've just started with following You Are Your Own Gym, and so far I haven't been able to get even close to filling my protein requirements.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Im using ON Gold Standard Whey Protein,, it's the best quality international :)
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Controlled Labs Pronom 23
    Xtreme Formulations Whey/UP 2.0
    VPX SRO
    iForce Protean
    Axis Clutch
    SAN Titanium Whey/Metaforce
  • loriconant
    loriconant Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    For those of you with sensitive stomachs (no dairy-- like whey, no soy, no gluten, so sugar alcohols etc.) I like the nutribiotic Brown rice protein powder.

The taste is good when I add stevia to it but the thing that I think is best about it is that it's the only protein powder that doesn't make me gassy/bloated. Amen to that!