What was your very first job?

Options

Replies

• elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Lot boy at local cheverolet dealership... Cool *kitten* job for a 16 year old kid that's into cars....
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    At 17, I was a function steward; cleaning, setting up and tidying up at the end of the night, helping with customer queries etc.
  • sarahkay2007
    sarahkay2007 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Paper girl and I got fired yay
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    These are some great stories! :happy:
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I consider babysitting a real job. I started when I was 11 babysitting for the neighbor's kid. I babysat pretty much every weekend night and many weeknights until I was 17 and most of the kids I'd been babysitting for had grown too old to need me. At 18, I started working as a cashier in Pamida, but I made less per week there than I was making babysitting.
    I also condsidered babysitting a real job. I have bookings everynight of the week dring high school and even afterward. During the summer if I was a mother's helper until I was oldenough to get a work permit the I worked as a carhop at a local drive in. (MOther's helper, one oc my babysitting customers was pregnant so I helped with the kids and cleaning until she delivered, took care of the kids while she was in the hospital and then helped with the baby after they came home. Was a great experience.)
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I had my first job at 23 years (I still have that job), as a Researcher/Software Developer.

I feel old and odd, compared with the others MFP folks, but in my country working at an very young age (before 18-20) is very uncommon. Even for summer jobs or baby sitting.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    was 13, summer job peeling Onions 8 hours a day for a local restaurant.

I hated onions before then, and hate them just as much now.

I hated that I was denied a glorious summer vacation from school but I got me a new bike :-)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I was 16 when I found a waitress job at a Chinese restaurant. Not too bad for my first job and it was all I can eat . :happy:
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Education instructor at Space Center Houston at 17. My first year on the job I got to meet Buzz Aldrin, Gene Cernan, Gene Kranz. Since then, in the nearly ten years I've been there, I got to see the launch of Curiosity to Mars, got to have my picture taken with Mohawk Guy (Bobak Ferdowsi who gained internet fame after Curiosity landed). I've met LaVar Burton, seen Bill Nye the Science Guy, met Eddie Izzard, and several other amazing people.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    My first job was working the homemade french fry stand at Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, OH. I swear those spuds I chopped were as big as footballs!
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My first job was babysitting/nanny.
    My first real job was retail, Bath and Body Works. I had to take an aspirin before and after my shift to alleviate my headache from the smells.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I had THE BEST first job ever...I worked for AMC movie theatre. Free movies, free popcorn, free soda and special Thursday night screening of new releases after we closed. Doesn't get much better than that...ahhhh, to be 16 again (and know what I know now).
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    my first jobs (I had three at once) were cashier for Aubuchon Hardware, warehouse and sales staff for Thom Mcann Shoes and overnight Inn Desk Staff for a local Inn (that has since gone). I was 17 and FINALLY able to get off the farm and make my own money... funny how NOW I wish for my farm chores and haying days instead of all the hubbub of working 3am-2pm :ohwell:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    My first job was babysitting/nanny.
    My first real job was retail, Bath and Body Works. I had to take an aspirin before and after my shift to alleviate my headache from the smells.

Oh yeah!
    I never thought about working there.
    Would definitely need an Excedrin Migraine... :tongue:
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Babysat, but first job with a W-2 was Burger King at 17.
  • GnosisGnosis
    GnosisGnosis Posts: 148
    Options
    Selling dru... Entrepreneur.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I worked at a ice cream store! I made shakes, sundaes and banana splits and ice cream cones. I stocked the dairy and freezer and moped the floors!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Education instructor at Space Center Houston at 17. My first year on the job I got to meet Buzz Aldrin, Gene Cernan, Gene Kranz. Since then, in the nearly ten years I've been there, I got to see the launch of Curiosity to Mars, got to have my picture taken with Mohawk Guy (Bobak Ferdowsi who gained internet fame after Curiosity landed). I've met LaVar Burton, seen Bill Nye the Science Guy, met Eddie Izzard, and several other amazing people.

Oh wow, how cool is that?!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Paper boy. 120 deliveries, 5 days a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    In a mail service place.

Was excellent exercise, those bags
    were heavy.