Grains are the devil

Options
Ok so I was watching this documenttary on the best possible diet for a human to consume, and this guy was saying that grains in general are not meant for human consumption especially in the amounts we eat them in. Basucally he said that not only are they high in carbs, which in excess cause fat, but contain chemicals called phylates (i believe thats what it is) that actuall block absorption of other good nutriens like fiber, iron, magnesium copper and antioxidants. so eating oatmeal is actually bad for you. So when they say whole grain and good cereal grains and all that its really not good at all. What does everyone think of this?

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Grains aren't very good for me personally. However, without grains we'd not have civilization so I'm reluctant to cast them as evil.
  • KrissyLehr136
    Options
    Well said husband. Well said. :happy:
  • lonjlehr
    lonjlehr Posts: 11
    Options
    That is true, civilization is probably a good thing. However says the man on the TV. In the vast timeline of human existence, grain based argiculture has only been practiced for .01%. Just before that was a peak in our species brain developement and since we rely on grains in much of our food, our brain development has stagnated. I guess some anthropologists possited that out diet of high protein and forraged goods helped evolve our brains and now we have less variety, making our brains kind of lazy on the advancements. So if we stop eating grains its only a matter of time before telekinesis...ha
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well said husband. Well said. :happy:

Well coming from a guy that has lost a few pounds and eats a couple loaves of bread a week, along with rice, and oatmeal, and ok just grains in general, I am going to say in my own opinion they are not the devil but to each there own.... Best of Luck
  • lonjlehr
    Options
    Grains are not really the devil i suppose, they have carbs which gives energy, I guess its just about excess. What trips me out are the phylates that block absorption of good stuff. I didnt even know those were a thing
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I stay away from grains because when I eat low carb, it helps control my appetite on a deficit.

Now that that's clear that I'm not biased because I can't live without rice or something, I'd like to say grains aren't evil. A small number of people may have poor reactions to gluten, a protein found in wheat, and some others have metabolic disorders that cutting carbs may help treat.
    If you don't fall under these categories, carbs will only cause excess fat if you eat more calories than you burn.

I would suggest you stay away from documentaries as a lot of them tend to be biased and only show evidence that confirms their views, while failing to acknowledge evidence that weakens the argument that the film aims to assert.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Ok so I was watching this documenttary on the best possible diet for a human to consume, and this guy was saying that grains in general are not meant for human consumption especially in the amounts we eat them in. Basucally he said that not only are they high in carbs, which in excess cause fat, but contain chemicals called phylates (i believe thats what it is) that actuall block absorption of other good nutriens like fiber, iron, magnesium copper and antioxidants. so eating oatmeal is actually bad for you. So when they say whole grain and good cereal grains and all that its really not good at all. What does everyone think of this?
    um it's not excess carbs cause fat, it's excess anything cause fat. But protein and fat are more important, and given there are many people out there not eating adequate amounts of protein and fat, I agree that many consume way to much. Particularly since many are obese. If you eat to much of anything it will block the absorption of something. Telling someone that eating oatmeal is bad for them is a terrible idea. Personally, it's good for me, since I don't get much iron, and there is iron in oatmeal. Don't personify foods, they are not out to get you. It's not about consuming good foods or bad foods, it's getting enough nutrients period.

More on my rant here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1055751-sweetners-in-vitamins-msg-soy-fat-etc-are-killing-us-all
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    evil-carb.jpg

Must be why my pancakes look like this.
  • lonjlehr
    Options
    I dont think eating oatmeal is bad for you, as I said acrbs are used by your bdy for energy, which is needed to, well, live. The documentary said oatmeal is bad. I was just curious what others thought about this stuff. Not that I actually believe it.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Every food is bad for you. I'm not even being sarcastic. It's just that some are worse than others, and your own mileage may very. Find what works for you, and stay away from what makes you sick. If you listen to every single negative, there is literally nothing left to eat.

-Refined grains: processed w/toxic chemicals; high glycemic index

-Whole Grains: What you said; also alleged to cause autoimmune digestive issues.

-Organic Meats (beef, Pork, chicken, etc): Beef contains saturated fats which supposedly cause heart disease, and/or diabetes. Protein content in all types can damage kidneys.

-Fish: Mercury levels are high in tuna, swordfish, etc. Farmed fish: other toxins. All fish is high in iodine, which can cause autoimmune thyroid issues when eaten in excess

-Soy: Genetic engineering in some contains toxins. Even natural types are bad due to estrogen-like compounds which are endocrine disruptors (e.g. antithyroid compounds)

-Milk: Many people are lactose intolerant. Some milk has antibiotics and/or artificial bovine growth hormones; pesticide compounds from grass consumed by cows may enter milk. Organic milk and all dairy products still looked down upon because of the sugar and fat and negative disruption of metabolic processes.

Fruits and vegetables and legumes: Pesticides and/or bacteria are main concern, as are allergies which may develop. Leafy greens and some others including some beans/nuts have anti thyroid compounds. Resistant starch in beans may cause digestive issues. These foods are also filling and low in calories (though some are high in protein). This makes it hard to eat enough to meet daily calorie numbers, while the fiber, if consumed in excess, may cause malabsorption.

Every food is bad. But these natural foods are often less bad than artificial food products. Eat natural food as much as possible, and don't overdo anything. You will be fine in all likelihood.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    However, without grains we'd not have civilization so I'm reluctant to cast them as evil.

As a history teacher, I appreciate this!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Phytate has been dubbed the anti-nutrient, but it’s also a beneficial phytonutrient. Phytate binds with minerals and prevents their absorption, possibly leading to deficiencies, especially if your diet is high in fiber and whole-grain foods. It’s also an antioxidant and may help fight some cancers. Maintain a balance by monitoring your consumption of high-phytate foods and by getting enough of the nutrients affected by phytate.

Definition
    Phytate is known by eight different names but the most common are phytic acid, inositol hexaphosphate and IP-6. Phytate is found in all plants because it stores the phosphorus needed to support germination and growth. An enzyme called phytase neutralizes the phytate to release the phosphorus. Plants and most animals have their own phytase. Unfortunately, humans don’t. Bacteria in the intestine produce small amounts, but not enough to digest phytate. The phytate then binds with iron, calcium and zinc, which means the minerals can’t be properly absorbed.

Grains
    The amount of phytate you'll get from any food source varies depending on growing conditions and processing techniques. Measurements used to report phytate content are sometimes stated as a percentage of dry weight and other times as milligrams in a 100-gram portion. Regardless of these differences, you’ll find wheat bran, rice bran, whole wheat, corn, rye, oats and brown rice at the top of the list. Phytate is highest in bran-based products. Whole-wheat flour has about half the phytate of bran but double the amount in corn, oat, rice or processed white flours, according to the book "Food Phytates."

Beans and Nuts
    You can count on beans and nuts to contain phytate, but the amount ranges from approximately .4 percent to as high as 2 to 3 percent of dry weight, according to "Food Phytates." Soy, pinto, kidney and navy beans, as well as peanuts, are at the high end. They have double the amount of phytate found in peas, lentils, chickpeas, white beans, walnuts and mung beans. Unlike grains that have a large concentration of phytate in the bran, phytate is equally distributed throughout seeds.

Potatoes
    When dry weights are compared, potatoes have almost as much phytate as seeds, according to a study published in the April 2004 issue of the “Journal of Food Composition and Analysis.” Even though cooking typically eliminates some phytate, that’s not true in potatoes. Whether potatoes are baked, boiled, microwaved or fried, they retain virtually all of their phytate. Based on average consumption, the researchers noted that phytate consumed in cooked potatoes may account for a substantial portion of the average American’s daily intake of phytate.

Preparation
    Some methods of commercial food processing destroy phytase, which means that the food retains more phytate. Other processes that actually reduce total phytate are soaking, fermenting and sprouting. Soaking rice, beans and raw nuts for 24 hours, followed by cooking them for the longest time possible, can reduce phytates by 50 percent, according to the Weston A. Price Foundation. When beans are sprouted, total phytate goes down by as much as 75 percent. Sprouting retains nutritional value, but the longer you soak and cook food, the more essential vitamins and minerals you’ll lose together with the phytate. Following recommended daily intakes should ensure you get sufficient nutrients, because the recommendations are adjusted for the possibility of substances such as phytates that impact bioavailability.

References
    Food Phytates: N. Rukma Reddy and Shridhar K. Sathe
    Phytochemicals: Phytic Acid
    The Weston A. Price Foundation: Living With Phytic Acid
    Journal of Food Composition and Analysis: Analysis of Phytate in Raw and Cooked Potatoes
    The Journal of Nutrition: Traditional Food-Processing and Preparation Practices to Enhance the Bioavailability of Micronutrients in Plant-Based Diets
    Linus Pauling Institute: Micronutrient Requirements of Children Ages 4 to 13 Years
    Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center: Inositol Hexaphosphate

Resources
    Institute of Medicine: Dietary Reference Intakes
  • lonjlehr
    Options
    that is comical and also sad
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I call bull****! eating dead flesh is so much better right? When you hear of someone that has such an all or nothing ideation beware.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Every food is bad for you

:laugh: Can't even believe some of the things I read on this forum.
  • lonjlehr
    Options
    ok, so phylates are not that bad, good to know, well i guess they are if in excess but thats true of anything...except happiness!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Every food is bad for you. I'm not even being sarcastic. It's just that some are worse than others, and your own mileage may very. Find what works for you, and stay away from what makes you sick. If you listen to every single negative, there is literally nothing left to eat.

-Refined grains: processed w/toxic chemicals; high glycemic index

-Whole Grains: What you said; also alleged to cause autoimmune digestive issues.

-Organic Meats (beef, Pork, chicken, etc): Beef contains saturated fats which supposedly cause heart disease, and/or diabetes. Protein content in all types can damage kidneys.

-Fish: Mercury levels are high in tuna, swordfish, etc. Farmed fish: other toxins. All fish is high in iodine, which can cause autoimmune thyroid issues when eaten in excess

-Soy: Genetic engineering in some contains toxins. Even natural types are bad due to estrogen-like compounds which are endocrine disruptors (e.g. antithyroid compounds)

-Milk: Many people are lactose intolerant. Some milk has antibiotics and/or artificial bovine growth hormones; pesticide compounds from grass consumed by cows may enter milk. Organic milk and all dairy products still looked down upon because of the sugar and fat and negative disruption of metabolic processes.

Fruits and vegetables and legumes: Pesticides and/or bacteria are main concern, as are allergies which may develop. Leafy greens and some others including some beans/nuts have anti thyroid compounds. Resistant starch in beans may cause digestive issues. These foods are also filling and low in calories (though some are high in protein). This makes it hard to eat enough to meet daily calorie numbers, while the fiber, if consumed in excess, may cause malabsorption.

Every food is bad. But these natural foods are often less bad than artificial food products. Eat natural food as much as possible, and don't overdo anything. You will be fine in all likelihood.

they all cause cancer too, don't forget that...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I call bull****! eating dead flesh is so much better right? When you hear of someone that has such an all or nothing ideation beware.

LOL yup.

Since you just called meat "dead flesh" I'm assuming you're vegan and have an all or nothing attitude about animal products?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    the cookbook:
    220px-TheChurchofSatanBiography.jpg

eta: awesome thread. great stuff in here
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Oxygen can be pretty bad for you too. I'm surprised people haven't stopped breathing...