Fasting never okay?

Options

Replies

• PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I fully understand that my body 'detoxs' itself, I understand that not eating for 40 days and losing 40 pounds will only have me gaining 60 pounds in the month following, I understand how stupid fasting can be and that it can be dangerous..I know that posting on here about fasting will get you 100 memes about stupidity...

Yet, I always go back to the idea that I would like to try my hand at it. Not long term 3-10 days. NOT because I think it will "jumpstart" my weightloss or clean my liver. I feel like it would have to however help with cravings. My biggest issue admittedly is not knowing the difference between boredom and hunger.

Is fasting for a relatively short amount of time with no expectation of weightloss or detox still crazy?

I am talking water fasting but I suppose the question could be asked for juicing as well.

I think fasting is only good if: it's for a short duration + for religious or other personal reasons that have nothing to do with weight loss, detoxing, or health.

But that's my personal opinion. If you want to try it, go ahead and try it for a few days and see how you like it. :smile:
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Hour 19 of my fast and feeling good. I do not have a set amount of time set up but I will not be going over the 3 days. After this 3 day fast I will be starting 5:2 - Thanks everyone for the flood of responses even though some of you seem to have just commented without taking the time to READ the post :)
  • Deekay8008
    Deekay8008 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I often wonder about the 5:2 fast, a lot of people I know have tried it, but I'm not aware if they sustained it long term. Personally I have no interest in starting off a habit I could not sustain permanently, as I would just be teaching myself a way of eating that when I stoppped after a few years could potentially pile the weight back on.

I dunno, if I was single perhaps I would do it, but I think it would have a negative impact on my homelife, as I know my partner wouldn't want to do it. I can't imagine not being able to sit together and eat a healthy dinner, it would just be too weird.

Now that I think about it my concentration levels and tolerance levels usually take a hit when I'm hungry and given the complexity of my job, I don't know that it would be worth it.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hi Deekay.

I have been doing it for just over a year, on and off as my life/work/stress levels allowed. I think that I will probably continue for as long as needed, even forever. But then I do find it doable, unlike a work colleague who found it unutterably horrid.

I found that it worked with homelife really easily as it only affects OH 2 nights a week, the rest of the time I eat normally and he doesn't really notice. I did put together a few meals that I could add to to make a meal for him and eventually he too got into the swing of that. He likes to cook and we are both foodies, so all meals are healthy and varied.

I'm not trying to persuade you, as I said I do know it doesn't work for some, but if having to change home eating habits is a major problem, it is possible to find really good meals that won't make your OH think you have flipped, or for you to feel deprived or odd.

Also I am a college lecturer, a lead lecturer, so I too have a complex job that demands a lot. I won't lie, I do occasionally find it too much, so I make a Down Day into a Medium Day to take off the edge. But that is, for me, a plus point. Despite not sticking to the letter of it I have lost 0.6 lb per week for a year. Slow and steady and includes summer and Christmas holidays when I simply stopped.

As I said, I am not trying to persuade you, but thought it might be helpful to know that it is doable without losing temper, sanity or your homelife :)
  • sissy685
    sissy685 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you want a good detox go get a colonoscopy...that will clean you right out LOL!

On a more serious note, I have also been thinking about this. I have a bridesmaids dress that is an inch from zipping up that I have to wear in three weeks. I dont do very well when I dont eat and get rather grumpy...what do you do when hunger hits? just drink water?
  • stefjc
    Options
    Oh no! I have learned that the grumps can be avoided if my tastebuds think they have been fed. So I drink miso soup (an acquired taste), 12kcals a big mugful. I hate the taste of flavoured waters and find plain water doesn't do it for me, I just seem to look at it as if I have recognised someone trying to mug me, dupe me, steal my purse :)

So I look for big flavours with few kcals, I found miso when looking at Bovril, Oxo and other beef drinks from my childhood.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I eat regularly throughout the week. Breakfast, lunch, snack, supper. On the wknds, it's a different story. If I am super busy around home, I may only get in one meal on a Sunday. For me, this is sort of fasting. Without meaning to. But I couldn't go a few days without some real food. I would be the grouchiest person ever.....
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I know intermittent fasting works for some people. I don't think I could do it though. I have a tendency to skip meals if I'm not feeling hungry, but then later I find myself binging - either later that night or even the following week if I've gone a few days with skipped meals. Everyone's body is different. Be in tune with your body, listen to your body, and do what works for your body.

Edited to add: OP, in your original post you said you were thinking about trying it to help with cravings. For me, I find I get cravings if I skip meals. But again, everyone is different.
  • stefjc
    Options
    It can really make you focus on the things you can't eat :)

But I stick to the Little Orphan Annie Solution - Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I'll eat ya, tomorrow - and so far tomorrow really has always been a day away - I have never binged on the things I have craved. Maybe I have had a bigger breakfast or two though!

But I really do know someone who was driven round the bend by this diet. She is as vehemently anti as I am pro :D
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I don't know too much about the science of it, but I fast for 30 days every year for the month of Ramadan.

Here's what I've noticed: I loose a bit of weight, but not much more than when I'm watching my calories outside of Ramadan. I do not gain weight after the month is over by gorging on food. I tend to make healthier choices and take smaller portions once the fasting month is over, because I'm not used to eating as much so I don't feel like I *need* larger portions.

Keep in mind, this is a spiritual fast as well as a physical fast, food is not the only thing we abstain from during Ramadan.

Also, different people fast differently during Ramadan, some people eat so much when breaking fast that they can barely stand, this is not what the Religion teaches, but many people do it anyways. This is why we hear a lot in our communities about how people gain weight during the month, it's because they fast all day and feast all night. This defeats the purpose.

These are just some of my experiences, but every body is different, and some people are physically unable to fast like those with illnesses like diabetes, or those who need to be taking medication at specific times during the day (These people are excused from fasting during Ramadan).

What I experience during fasting may be completely different from what the person next to me experiences, so my suggestion would be try it for a day or two and see how you feel. If you're getting dizzy and feel sick, then better break your fast, however if you find benefit in it, then great. Just listen to your body, and be safe when trying this sort of thing.

Fabulous post - My boyfriend is also Muslim, and since it is important to him and his culture, I did try Ramadan the second year we were together. Found out I have too many health problems to fast. But I did try, and felt absolutely horrible and did check with my doctors. That's how I found out fasting wasn't for me.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the replies cuz honestly who has that kind of time. Anywho looks like a lot of people talking out of their misinformed a$$es all up in this thread. If you are at all interested in intermittent fasting read some information there is lots out there. If you don't want to do intermittent fasting read the stuff anyway that way you don't look ignorant pulling "facts" out of thin air.

I don't care who likes it or who doesn't all I am saying is get informed don't say something that someone told you that he heard from his friends sisters doctor.

If there was some actual helpful posts in here good stuff :)

End thread
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do it at all. Ever. It slows your metabolism and can lead to short and long-term damage.

Fasting does not slow your metabolism. Stop spreading false information.
  • Deekay8008
    Deekay8008 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the replies cuz honestly who has that kind of time. Anywho looks like a lot of people talking out of their misinformed a$$es all up in this thread. If you are at all interested in intermittent fasting read some information there is lots out there. If you don't want to do intermittent fasting read the stuff anyway that way you don't look ignorant pulling "facts" out of thin air.

I don't care who likes it or who doesn't all I am saying is get informed don't say something that someone told you that he heard from his friends sisters doctor.

End thread

Hmmm... no need to be such a discussion facist, especially if you haven't read the whole thread!

If I want to read facts, yes I'll Google and I will find a bunch of information that says no and a bunch of information that says yes, it's always the way, so sometimes it's useful to get feedback on how people feel it is working in practice for them at an individual level and their perceptions of it in general.

The funny thing is that you make a comment that people are speaking out of their misinformed a$$es and you back this up with.....um absolutely NOTHING.

Don't be so rude.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I personally disagree immensely with 5/2.

On the other hand

16/8 everyday is much more sensible.
  • stefjc
    Options
    Taking you up on your other posts, richie, would you care to explain that? It is a question you have been asked before and have not answered.

I have no idea why you would make that statement when you have also said that you don't know about 5:2.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Taking you up on your other posts, richie, would you care to explain that? It is a question you have been asked before and have not answered.

I have no idea why you would make that statement when you have also said that you don't know about 5:2.

Where have I said I don't know about 5:2? I know exactly what 5:2 is.. lol and when anyone has asked, i've told them

For a start, it is NOT necessary for anything and holds NO benefits. It is just another largely "fad" attempt at something. It has no advantages, just like 16/8 has no advantages for fat loss.

16/8 is sufficient enough time to give your body rest from digestion, and to remove hunger pangs from your system. No human should be consuming 500-600 calories two days of the week, it makes no sense and it is BEYOND ridiculous.

All health benefits from fasting, can come from doing 16/8, this 5/2 non-sense gets taken too far by lazy people who are looking for magical fixes.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Where have I said I don't know about 5:2? I know exactly what 5:2 is.. lol and when anyone has asked, i've told them

For a start, it is NOT necessary for anything and holds NO benefits. It is just another largely "fad" attempt at something. It has no advantages, just like 16/8 has no advantages for fat loss.

16/8 is sufficient enough time to give your body rest from digestion, and to remove hunger pangs from your system. No human should be consuming 500-600 calories two days of the week, it makes no sense and it is BEYOND ridiculous.

All health benefits from fasting, can come from doing 16/8, this 5/2 non-sense gets taken too far by lazy people who are looking for magical fixes.

Excuse me?

I lost 70lbs in 7 months doing har damn exercise every single day and eating at a deficit. LAZY you call me? I took up 5:2 way of eating last week.... a whole year and a half after starting to lose weight...a whole year after losing all but my last 5kg of weight I want to lose.

Lazy?

I still workout every single day. I can run 10km a day with no problem.

Lazy?

I walk over 30km a day just cause I can.

Lazy?

I lost 4lb in a week due to 5:2.

All while STILL working out every day.

Lazy? Quick fix?

BTW fasting for 8 hours a day? Hello I sleep for 8 hours a day....there is your so called 'fast'. Awake for 16 hours asleep for 8...... damnit I been fasting YOUR way since the day I was born. Didn't help me much with the weight now did it.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Excuse me?

I lost 70lbs in 7 months doing har damn exercise every single day and eating at a deficit. LAZY you call me? I took up 5:2 way of eating last week.... a whole year and a half after starting to lose weight...a whole year after losing all but my last 5kg of weight I want to lose.

Lazy?

I still workout every single day. I can run 10km a day with no problem.

Lazy?

I walk over 30km a day just cause I can.

Lazy?

I lost 4lb in a week due to 5:2.

All while STILL working out every day.

Lazy? Quick fix?

BTW fasting for 8 hours a day? Hello I sleep for 8 hours a day....there is your so called 'fast'. Awake for 16 hours asleep for 8...... damnit I been fasting YOUR way since the day I was born. Didn't help me much with the weight now did it.

Thank you for proving your inability to read. Which was referring to 16 hours of fasting.

I'm glad you adopted 5:2 for one whole week though, you're really experienced and know lots already.
  • bachly37
    bachly37 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    intermittent fasting is ok. i eat everyday but skip a meal and sleep is fasting too. i like eating big meals it makes me full. in the wild you can eat like a predator or like prey. we humans evolved for times of feast and times of famine. feasting all the time that is bad for you. back in caveman days you had to move to get your food by hunting and/or gathering. so none of our ancestor had food all the time.
    don't be scared of something because you're not used to it. don't be scared of something because your whole life you were told something different. our societies eating habits changed because we were told fatty foods are bad. the low fat craze produced epidemic obesity rates because we then ate breads and sugars. those foods quickly turn to sugars releasing insulin and then fat stores in your body. caloric deficits are good for you. exercise is good for you. think about what the food industries interests are. cheap foods. high yield foods. money. lobbyist. mainstream information. did you listen to what the experts had to say. where are you now?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

End thread

Well now, if you didn't read all the replies in this thread because you didn't have the time, you are talking out of your butt, because you really don't know what the hell was, or was not said now, do you?

Either read the thread and then you can make an informed comment, or DON'T read the thread, in which case be careful what you say, because it may come across as ignorant.

Now you have a nice day won't you.