What are you doing with your "FAT" clothes?

Options

Replies

• Kimberlymae41
    Options
    I donated all of mine, if they are gone you can NEVER go back to wearing them, if you feel frumpy that day or jsut want to be comfy then you dont have them there to fall back on and never go back to them fitting, It help me stay on track, i have dropped 4 sizes before I joined fitness pal 65 lbs. never ever going back to the old me,

keep up the amazing job.
  • seasidefox
    seasidefox Posts: 11
    Options
    I also am getting rid of mine. I had already lost some weight before I came on here. My neighbor wanted some, donations to Big Sisters mostly. I have even sold things I never wore on ebay. I need to get a belt so I can wear my jeans until it's too ridiculous. I can't afford everything in all the sizes on the way down. I will be wearing big clothes a lot until they fall off. lol
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I donated 3 very full garbage bags of neatly folded fat clothes to the local charity :)
  • amluvstld
    amluvstld Posts: 212
    Options
    The minute I shrink out of something, it goes in a bag to be donated. I'll never fit into that piece again, so no point in keeping it ;)

Congrats! Keep up the great work!
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I gave a garbage bag full to one of my friends. I have two more to get rid of. I'm going to let my sister and friends go through them and the rest are going to Goodwill.
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    EBAY!! Made $200
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The 38-waist jeans were toast by the time I shrunk out of them, but there's still some black slacks in reasonable condition that need to be worn with a belt. If they're not worn out by the time they're bunching at the waist too much for my comfort, I'll probably offload them on a not-coworker who needs them for work as it's bad enough that I'm quietly swapping my uniform shirts for a smaller size and supposedly because I've got the thick ones and started working more in the kitchen if anyone wonders. The 34-waist jeans are already starting to need a belt too but I've got some time with those still.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Most of them I'm giving to charity, but there are some I'm hanging onto. I know, it's easy to know if I gain a few pounds I'll have something to wear, making weight gain easy but my reasons are two-fold. One, I'm just not convinced this new me is "for real". I still go for the XL clothing on racks at stores, when I'm at least a medium if not a small. The other is emotional. I was fat for a long time, and I collected some beautiful pieces. I'm keeping them until I can give them to a good home, someone who I know will enjoy them, or take them to UpTown Cheapskate and sell them for cash. They were very expensive, and are in great shape - I figure my Fall wardrobe (in the new size 8-10) will be financed by selling my 12-14-16 sizes from the last 10 years.

I think we need a MFP Clothing Exchange forum/group. As you lose, you can give your old clothes to somone who recently got down to your old size, and so on. I know I was in serious trouble when I got out of 12s and into 10s, but was planning on getting into an 8, so didn't want to spend a bunch on "transition" clothes. An exchange could be an awesome solution!
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Taking them to consignment.
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know I'm supposed to get rid of them, but I'm keeping them in case I get pregnant.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    If weight loss ever happens (I'm beginning to doubt it):

Donation
    Alteration
    Rag bag

I'll keep my current largest pair of jeans as a reminder.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Years ago after I lost 120 lbs and my mom lost 80 lbs, we had a garage sale and advertised "plus size clothes." They sold very well. This was in a small town and I don't think there was even a thrift store at that time. I have shopped thrift stores for clothes for years even at goal. You can't beat the prices and its a treasure hunt:) In the last 6 months, I've lost the 30 lbs I regained and it felt wonderful going through my closet and donating the clothes that were too big. I did keep a pair of pants from when I lost the 120 lbs originally. I really wish I had kept a shirt from my highest. I think I wore a 3X shirt and size 26/28 pants.

I recommend keeping a shirt and a pair of pants but donating the rest....
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I took most to The Goodwill and checked to see if my mom wanted any of the ones she could fit into. But this is a great idea... Clothes are NOT cheep and I got with someone on there that had some of her "fat" clothes that were my size and she mailed them to me. It really helped me out and was very grateful for it... so maybe you can reach out to your friends and see if any of them are that particular size and see if they want them and send them their way! Good luck on your journey!

This sounds like an awesome idea!

This is a great idea! I have a friend that I is working to get down to a size 12 and plans on wearing some of the great dress pants that no longer fit me!
    As soon as I went down a size I went to GW and donated my old clothes and then bought new ones there, which saved me a LOT of money over the duration of my weight loss (went from a size 14 jean to a size 2/4 now and had to buy all the sizes in between lol). Now that I'm pretty much done losing weight I am buying some 'new' clothes from retail stores, like bras and such, but I still find the cutest things at GW and you can't beat their prices :)

This is what I do too! I work in a corporate environment and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on clothes that I am going to 'grow out of' fairly quickly.
  • lisquito
    lisquito Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a sewing machine, so I have been looking up ways to alter my old clothes and make them like new again! Not just taking in but also converting! Pinterest has been a great resource for ideas on how to recycle my 'fat' clothes into a newer, better fitting wardrobe, which is all the reward without spending too much money! (Old jeans into a cute skirt? Old t-shirts into tank tops and dresses? Heck yes!)

Whatever I am not confident enough to alter myself I donate :) I also buy my 'new' clothes from thrift shops to keep on recycling!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    What isn't stained or damaged (apparently I am hard on my clothing) gets donated.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Going through my closet this week to try on and discard. It might leave about 5 things hanging in there, but it's about time I learned to live with less clothing anyway. I will give away the things that are too big for me. I did a bit of shopping this weekend now that sales are on and bought a few things. I'm not any where near goal weight so i don't want to spend much right now. The items I bought I know I will get my $$ worth out of before the end of summer and before they are too big. I tend to wear short sleeve tops all year long, so the tops will have a much longer life in my closet. But I'm now down to a 20 or 1x from a 24/26 and 3x/4x. I'm pretty darn happy about that.

I'll continue to look in the used stores as well, but find they just don't have a nice selection of items in larger sizes.
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I sell mine!

We have a few consignment stores around my area that take nice clothes, sell them, and give me 50% of what they go for. It's way easier than doing a garage sale, plus I get more money than I would at a garage sale.

I usually donate any clothes that the consignment store don't take. I know it's good to take things to goodwill, but I need money to buy new clothes! Last school year (I'm a teacher), I had to slowly get rid of about everything I owed. So, I'm currently buying all new work clothes. I've dropped well over 300 bucks thus far. Luckily, I have some money build up from selling my clothes to help me out a bit.

I take my daughter's clothes to a consignment store as well, ever since she was a baby. I've made thousands off of that place over the past 8 years. It really adds up. And with kids they go through clothes so fast at those young ages so I was bringing things in all the time.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    Just wondering what you are doing with all your "fat" clothes? One of the best part of a healthier lifestyle is getting to buy newer smaller clothes, fitting into things that we wouldn't have thought about twice of buying X numbers of lbs ago.

Me personally once Ive completely out shrunk a piece of clothing I either give it away to charity or bin if not suitable to give away. I don't want to keep any of it apart from 1 item to remind me that this is how you use to be dont come back here.

So what are you thoughts?

Donating my fat clothes to the U.S. Army so they can use them as parachutes.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I donate mine if they are in a good condition, otherwise I use them as rags for cleaning.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a sewing machine, so I have been looking up ways to alter my old clothes and make them like new again! Not just taking in but also converting! Pinterest has been a great resource for ideas on how to recycle my 'fat' clothes into a newer, better fitting wardrobe, which is all the reward without spending too much money! (Old jeans into a cute skirt? Old t-shirts into tank tops and dresses? Heck yes!)

Whatever I am not confident enough to alter myself I donate :) I also buy my 'new' clothes from thrift shops to keep on recycling!

That's a really good idea! I happen to have no skill and I don't have anyone that does either.