Have you been CATFISHED?

Options
12346»

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I never met anyone that didn't look how I thought they would, but one guy was married and I found out after a few dates when one of his co-workers told me.

I met my husband online though, I THOUGHT I was going to get Catfished (this was before that term existed) because the pics he sent me were this totally gorgeous guy, but then we skyped and it was him.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to force my father to watch the show. He didn't get the message after his "perfect" russian wife turned out to be a whole lot older than expected, a whole lot meaner than antcipated and after a whole lot of money ... he is now online to a Chinese woman ....

But apparently this one must be legitimate because when she asked to come and see him she said she would pay him back for the ticket ...

Hmmmmmmmm !!
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Before I share my story, I want to make two things clear: I am married and intend to stay that way. And NOTHING happened with the guy in the story below.

Years ago, when I was a senior in high school, I ended up spending the night at the guy's house (he was a junior at the same high school) because of really bad, threatening weather. I didn't like him then, so there was NOTHING between us. It was a safety issue.

Flash forward 30 years, and out of the blue the guy contacts me and we begin playing catch up. He comes here to my city, and my husband and I BOTH meet him for dinner. While at dinner, he tells me he is not married -- hasn't been for years, has NO children, has even had a vasectomy so he couldn't have any more children. He is "lonely", wants to find the "love of his life" and confesses that he wanted to date me 30 years ago, and is STILL crushing on me.

A couple years ago, he was in a car accident and suffered a serious injury. He kept telling me that the lawsuit he had was about to settle, and he would be receiving 1.4 million dollars from it. He wanted me to dump my husband (whom he met!), and run off with him to Costa Rica where we would have our "happily ever after" living in the warm sun and drinking margaritas on the beach, blah blah blah. I never agreed to this, I never gave him any idea that I was romantically interested in him (never was, never will be), yet he continued to offer me all sorts of wonderful gifts, and trips, etc., once the lawsuit settled. I found him to be a bit too preoccupied with trying to get me into bed, and started ignoring his texts, emails, etc.

Long story short -- he is currently married (has been for the last 8 years), and has 5 children. The fact that this douche nozzle could deny his CHILDREN absolutely disgusts me! As for the lawsuit and the big settlement? 75,000, and the insurance company is fighting it all the way to court. How do I know all this? His wife called me, after she found his email to me. She told me he has done this before to a variety of women, and has about 3 mistresses currently. Apparently, he has BPD and has relapsed into some fantasy world where he believes he's God's gift to women. What a SICK f*k.

CLARIFICATION: I DID NOT reciprocate those weird emails.

Ummmm yeah, no words on this one.

I may show my Dad this post tho lol!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if this counts as catfishing, but was talking to a girl on a dating website who used 5 year old pictures of herself when she was skinnier (she was 100 pounds heavier) and adopted a different personality so I'd like her. I met her three times before bailing on her for her best friend (who was letting me in on her real personality) at the time who actually acted like she was pretending to be. It all worked out in the end, because I later found out she was using me to make him jealous enough to want to date her again.

I'm confused as heyall!
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    When I was 16 I talked to a 24 year old dude named Johnny on Myspace. He never had new pictures up and he told me that due to his tramatic childhood, he was mute. So he would call me and I'd talk for hours while he texted me back. We never met in person. He would talk about flying out to see me (He lived in TN and I lived in AZ) but it never happened. Our online break up was super dramatic too. Years later I had an account on a different website and one of his "friends" sent me a message saying he remembered me and that Johnny had killed himself days after we broke up. I don't know what really happened with all that. All I know, is it telling the story makes me feel stupid lol
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    When I was 16 I talked to a 24 year old dude named Johnny on Myspace. He never had new pictures up and he told me that due to his tramatic childhood, he was mute. So he would call me and I'd talk for hours while he texted me back. We never met in person. He would talk about flying out to see me (He lived in TN and I lived in AZ) but it never happened. Our online break up was super dramatic too. Years later I had an account on a different website and one of his "friends" sent me a message saying he remembered me and that Johnny had killed himself days after we broke up. I don't know what really happened with all that. All I know, is it telling the story makes me feel stupid lol

Wow! That is beyond crazy, but from what I've heard, it fits the mold perfectly...that's exactly what happened to Manti Te'o, and it was all over the news a few months ago. That's the first time I had heard about catfishing. I'm actually super scared to try online dating...I don't know if I'd be any less likely to get scammed being a guy to be honest.
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I met my soon-to-be husband online. He was EXACTLY what he said he was. I am exactly who I say I am. I've had a lot of successful online relationships. All it takes is common sense, really.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I was happy to see he was who he said he was for a change. And, that cannot be the worst MTV show produced.... Also, thankfully its never happened to me.

Geordie shore the best!

what is Geordie shore? Jersey Shore?

It is the U.K. version of the Jersey shore but it is much more ridiculous and in a whole new level that actually makes it somewhat entertaining. My friends in London were trying to show me that they got cool shows like us Yanks, I told them we hate the Jersey shore in the U.S.

Also, I'm not sure if British people can understand them because I had a hard time understanding their English.
  • raychulj
    Options

Wow! That is beyond crazy, but from what I've heard, it fits the mold perfectly...that's exactly what happened to Manti Te'o, and it was all over the news a few months ago. That's the first time I had heard about catfishing. I'm actually super scared to try online dating...I don't know if I'd be any less likely to get scammed being a guy to be honest.
    Oh yea, girls make fake accounts too.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I'm a french model
    Ménage à trois?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Very possible the friend was Johnny and he was just trying to get an extra "eff you" after the fact. Why would the friend remember the account at all.
  • raychulj
    Options

Very possible the friend was Johnny and he was just trying to get an extra "eff you" after the fact. Why would the friend remember the account at all.
    I thought about that possibility too. But the way we started talking, was through a friend of his messaging me with a link to Johnny's account saying, "He thinks you're beautiful". I was like "oh, he's cute"and I started talking to him. So who knows. There were many times that he said he had friends over reading over his shoulder. And during our "break up fight" I had all my sisters and a couple of my friends gathered around the computer laughing and telling me to write come backs and he said he had the same. (before I told him what was going on at my house). LOL so ridiculous