"No Garbage Lasagna"

Options

Replies

• MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't like "garbage" in my food. The dinner I made last night I've dubbed my "No Garbage Lasagna". I cut out all cheese, got rid of the noodles, reduced the oil and added way more veggies. Ringing in at 284 calories per (hearty) serving, boasting a deep flavor and being as simple as it is I'm definitely going to be making this one again!

See here for the recipe!: http://antiflabbyarms.blogspot.com/2013/07/recipe-no-garbage-lasagna.html

d0910a7cf8a811e29f1422000a1fbc0e_7.jpg

31d2f4d6f8ad11e293af22000a9e05e8_7.jpg

I have a very similar recipe! It's a clean rootbeer float.

So a normal rootbeer float is root beer with ice and some ice cream dropped in.

I take out the root beer and the ice cream.

I call it...'ice'

Hah!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't like "garbage" in my food either...

So anyhow...

...in...

...to read why anyone would put garbage in their food.

ETA: Oh...wait...I see the problem now. "Garbage"...I do not think this word means what you think it does.

Semantics. Not worth the flame war it's causing, lol.

Shhhh!

I'm still catching up. Only through page two...

...but then got bored and checked page seven for updates...

...and now I'm putting this on my list of things to catch up on later...

...which means I'll probably never catch up...

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Yep, still not getting it. The conversation isn't about nutrition, so what you are studying is of no consequence. It's about using value based language. When you are talking about foods that are perfectly healthful, you don't get to call them garbage simply because their could be more nutritious substitution options. The point is, there is a certain smugness to calling any food garage.

then stop parking your car in it!

I can't park my car in the garage, that is where I keep my freezers full of frozen lasagnas.
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options

So anyhow...

...in...

ETA: Oh...wait...I see the problem now. "Garbage"...I do not think this word means what you think it does.

Shhhh!

I say again: this is the internet, man. People are getting way too upset about stuff that is so trivial it's ridiculous. I mean. If this is the sort of thing that upsets people _this much_ they want to take a little time to reevaluate the important things in their lives, haha.
  • MsEndomorph
    Options
    I prefer mine with garbage, specifically hot sausage, ricotta, and fresh moz. I think most people just don't like it when you call any perfectly healthy foods garage because they are outside your own dietary preferences.

To each his own. Somewhere between pages 2-5 I apologized for that. I've lost track.

You mean here:
    nleighp: your recipe does look good and it probably tastes wonderful, but I can't stand people that label food as 'garbage'. Eat anything you want in moderation, whether it makes you feel healthy is a personal thing, but no one ever gained weight when eating no more than what they need. Labelling certain foods as garbage is just an excuse to me, i.e. 'I gained weight because I ate pasta and cheese, which I now know is GARBAGE".

I completely understand your point. And I think MFP has a lot of misinformation on the boards. Was not my intention to contribute to that.

Almost sounds legit until here:
    I don't get why noodles are "garbage" but bread is not.

Depends on the quality of the noodle and the bread.

White noodles have lower micro nutrients than nutrient dense flaxseed bread.

Then I am all:

tumblr_m371dvvRhJ1qda93ho1_500.gif

If you say so, lol. I'm not sure what you tell you. I'm studying to be a dietitian and from the research I've come across processed white wheat pasta is infinitely less nutrient dense than sprouted, whole grain breads. But if you disagree with that then I guess that's your call.

And the cheese discussion I won't even start. I've had it too many times with too many people and there is too much misinformation being thrown around. It's a conversation to have face to face. Not on message boards.

Yep, still not getting it. The conversation isn't about nutrition, so what you are studying is of no consequence. It's about using value based language. When you are talking about foods that are perfectly healthful, you don't get to call them garbage simply because their could be more nutritious substitution options. The point is, there is a certain smugness to calling any food garage.

Until food has feelings, I think we all get to label it however we like.

I think ikea furniture is garbage. Because their perfectly wooden furniture could have more woody value to it.

And still the world goes on.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

And she apologized for that somewhere on page 2.

Get over yourself!

I don't think you saw the part where I quoted her apology and said it might be more believable if she hadn't went on to say other things, which I quoted. This is why context and actually reading before you just in is very important.

OP doesn't eat like you do. and that's ok.

also, i think you need your snack, you're gettin' a little hangry.

please. before we're in a snickers commercial.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

So anyhow...

...in...

Shhhh!

I say again: this is the internet, man. People are getting way too upset about stuff that is so trivial it's ridiculous. I mean. If this is the sort of thing that upsets people _this much_ they want to take a little time to reevaluate the important things in their lives, haha.

Yet you are responding to all of it...
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Looks like a Dee-lish Dish!! I dont care what you call it. Long as its tasty!
  • teddyjazzy
    teddyjazzy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am really shocked at some of the comments and attitudes of some of the MFP members regarding a recipe. Recipes are always doctored and tweeked to suit an individuals tastes and needs or what is available in the pantry. I thought this was supposed to be a friendly and supportive site open to discussing everything regarding weight loss from recipes to exercise.

OP, I have to agree with the above poster that you exhibited a lot of class throughout this thread.

Congrats on losing 100+. That is an incredible accomplishment.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Get over yourself!

I don't think you saw the part where I quoted her apology and said it might be more believable if she hadn't went on to say other things, which I quoted. This is why context and actually reading before you just in is very important.

Wow, you're really invested in this, aren't you?

2EwBdob.gif
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Most people probably didn't get the apology, I skipped from 1 to 5.

Whatever you eat whether vegan, fruitarian, paleo or whatever noone would like to hear food they like being called "garbage" even if it is. It's just not nice, but then again this is the world we live in.

I'm pretty sure that was not OP's intention, but at the end of the day it still hurts.

recipe looks yummy.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar recipe! It's a clean rootbeer float.

So a normal rootbeer float is root beer with ice and some ice cream dropped in.

I take out the root beer and the ice cream.

I call it...'ice'

Sounds magical! I'll be sure to try it sometime. :)

I'm still confused why someone would put ice in a rootbeer float.
  • nleighp
    Options

So anyhow...

...in...

Shhhh!

I'm keeping an eye on the thread because a) I started it, b) people may have questions about the recipe, c) I've got about a half hour until work ends and then I'm checking out/heading home and d) like you, I check the forums to pass the time on occasion. *shrug*

I'm not sure I've done anything wrong and responding to posts in a thread I started seems like good forum etiquette to me.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Get over yourself!

Wow, you're really invested in this, aren't you?

2EwBdob.gif

No more than the OP... so
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It looks very similar to moussaka! Yummy!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    She can call whatever she wants garbage. It has nothing to do with language value, or whatever the hell you called it. It has to do with her recipe, which she can call whatever she likes, because it's a damn opinion page where you share your RECIPES which can and will be variations. There are foods she doesn't like or find value in eating so she used alternatives to them to make a dish then gave that dish a name. SIMPLE. You either want to try it or you don't. That is all it is there for. Christ.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

So anyhow...

...in...

Shhhh!

I'm keeping an eye on the thread because a) I started it, b) people may have questions about the recipe, c) I've got about a half hour until work ends and then I'm checking out/heading home and d) like you, I check the forums to pass the time on occasion. *shrug*

I'm not sure I've done anything wrong and responding to posts in a thread I started seems like good forum etiquette to me.

I didn't say you did anything wrong by responding, did I?
  • wrentrotter
    Options
    Looks pretty yummy!

The Hairy Bikers do a a version and substitute the pasta with sheets of leek, they call it skinny lasagna and its 350 cals a portion. Much as I like lasagna the pasta does add a lot of calories, you are looking at double that amount usually. I don't usually have enough calories left over to have a 700 calorie dinner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagne_87277
  • nleighp
    Options
    Looks pretty yummy!

The Hairy Bikers do a a version and substitute the pasta with sheets of leek, they call it skinny lasagna and its 350 cals a portion. Much as I like lasagna the pasta does add a lot of calories, you are looking at double that amount usually. I don't usually have enough calories left over to have a 700 calorie dinner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagne_87277

Oooo! I had never thought of using leek! That's clever idea!
  • MsEndomorph
    Options
    I don't understand how people who get hurt or angered by someone calling cheese "garbage" can function in day to day life.

What happens when someone else eats the last yogurt in your fridge? When the mailman puts one of your weekly mailers in your neighbor's mailbox? When your favorite tv show gets cancelled?

Do you cry for days? Yell and scream and throw things? Punch people in the throat?

Oh, wait. Probably not. Because it's a message board and people use it as an excuse to get indignant and overdramatic about EVERYthing. Le sigh.