Was independent, now home with a sabotaging mum, help?

Options
2»

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This is a genuine question/struggle, you don't know me or the details/full situation.

It will be hard to provide additional suggestions. However, with the information you provided, there is no sabotage occurring and it is up to you to make your own choices.
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    This bit.... stop and think for a moment. You have moved back home, your mum's home, full of the joys of having got to grips. But what about your mum? Her control?

Remember she is you mum, used to cooking for you, cleaning for you, thinking for you.... you have moved back all changed and partly grown up - I say that tapping 50 years old and still a child in my parents eyes. How supportive or helpful do you think she feels you are? Are you accidentally, in your quest to remain in control, ignoring your mum's needs, maybe making her feel wrong/bad?

thanks for this (and the rest) In response i do support her, she has lots of problems and i listen/help. i don't really tell her mine as i don't feel she could cope and most of the time, due to having the initial 'im being healthy' chat, i rarely say anything about her cooking, i never say i wont eat it or it's not healthy etc i just mentioned it today as it's been like 2 months and i'm just struggling and i help/support her, which is a lot when i'm struggling with myself! haha i respect her for doing so much but she doesn't need to and needs to see that i want to and can help. but she's stubborn and independent.. i see where i get it now :P
    i know i'll always be her little girl but there is a point where you need to remind them you're growing up :)
    thanks so much for your comment though, and everyone else! it's very helpful and supporting :) & to those saying i'm changing my eating habits and it's not fair on my mum, my mum's been told by the dr to go to the gym etc so i'm also thinking it would be best for her, as she's unhappy too. which isn't very good "/ i want her to be happy with herself again
    <3
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It's her house and she buys the food. She is probably just doing what she has always done and enjoyed. She is not sabotaging you. I was vegan for many of the years living with my family and I was so lucky and extremely grateful that my mom accommodated my diet. I never took that for granted! I really don't expect this of parents.

Seeing as you're a grown up and you're smart enough to live on your own and go to university, you should buy your own groceries and make your own meals. ALso, maybe just ask you mom to put a few veggies aside before adding butter, reduce portion sizes, skip dessert. This way, you won't interfere with what SHE is eating. Also, try to be polite about it and don't force your ideals on her. It might fuel the fire if you're telling her she is eats so poorly.
  • UNLESS19
    Options
    Also, and PLEASE don't take this the wrong way as it seems you are quite sensitive to negativity, but it really is a bit unreasonable to put yourself out there on the internet and not expect at least one or two opinions/comments that you don't like. Blatantly asking people to refrain from negative feedback might make it worse. I've seen people torn up on these boards for coming across as having an attitude like that.

You know, that's a very good way of putting it. I tried briefly to figure out how to say that and then saw this post, which does it way better than I would have. Saying "If you post something nasty or sarcastic, I'll report you" is like taunting people: "I dare ya!" You may not have meant it that way, but that's how it comes across.

Edited to quote your original words correctly.
    thanks guys! I'll correct it! :) It's not negative things it's just i don't want people making fun or just being cruel/unhelpful, i've been warned about trolls and have see people rip others to shreds! i just didn't want that and personally cant deal with it- thanks :)
  • brownfoxx7
    Options
    Hiii....I am not sure how old you are but I have lived on my own, moved home, lived on my own, moved home etc etc...I would say, yes, if you can afford it, buy your own groceries and try to talk to your Mom again. Try and cook with her one night and maybe make it a group effort and show her what you are trying to do with food. It might be uncomfortable at first - I know my mom and I are both stubborn and sometimes it is just the change that is annoying someone. Like one other woman said who is a Mom (I am not), you have changed, not your Mom. It seems she might have good intentions and is doing what she always has (which to her I am sure worked great when you were growing up). I worry A LOT about my parents and what they think and I am 32 and I still feel like a kid in their eyes sometimes so I know it can be hard just having a conversation with the parents when you are trying to tell them hwo you are feeling about something. I would definitely try talking to her again and just face it, she might not like what you have to say at first but she might also warm up to it once you start doing it and continue to do it around her (whether that be buying your own groceries and cooking for yourself, or offering to cook a few nights a week for the family and yourself, or whatever). Bottom line, it is ultimately in your control no matter how old you are and your income. Work with what you have. if you can't afford to buy the food, try to go shopping with her or increase your exercise the day after a "bad" meal at home (if you didn't know ahead of time what was for dinner). Then it comes down to old fashioned self control (stinks to have to have that!!!! haha) so if there is junky food in the house, it is up to you to find ways to avoid munching on it! :):happy:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel you can buy/cook all of your own meals, how about just some of them? Can you choose your own breakfast / lunch / snacks and then eat the family meal for dinner (but eat smaller amounts to keep your calories down?) Exercise 30 minutes more to burn any extra from the dinner she makes?

I'm 50 years old and live with my mother half the time. I eat what she makes for dinner, and just count the calories and make it fit.
  • UNLESS19
    Options
    thanks so much for all your comments ideas and suggestions :)
    I'm going to accommodate for both myself and my mum by compromising when concerning dinner as i can try to plan for it, though she doesn't know what she's doing until last minute, help her, give little suggestions if she wants them and try to let me cook so she gets a brake! haha And also try to think more about her and be careful about how i come across to her, as i am grateful and don't expect her to me but to be a little mindful of i want more veggies and less morrisons made pasta pots etc but i'm sure we'll work it out :)
    thanks everyone!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said -- buy your own groceries (with your own money that you earn yourself) and cook your own meals. For the sake of domestic tranquility, you might eat before she prepares dinner and let her know ahead of time that you're still pretty full, but will happily sit with her at the table for the company and take a few token bites of her "delicious comfort food." Or make a big salad to accompany her meal and load your own plate up with that at dinnertime, but leave room for the token bites. A tenth of a serving of pasta is not going to make you fat, but will go a long way at expressing appreciation for her effort.

I think you've gotten some good advice here, and you seem to be receiving it well and thoughtfully. That's good. I have some more, which you may or may not like, but I hope you'll read it all the way through. So you will report me if you think I'm a meanie for saying this, but really... I'm not a meanie, I'm a mom. I'm going to share a little insight from a similar story. Here is what I read in your initial post and a subsequent one.
    Dear Mum,
    I've left college and come back to live in your house and eat your food. But your food isn't good enough for me. You are sabotaging my chosen lifestyle by taking control away from me. I love you, but you are not supportive or helpful enough. By the way, you have problems. You would be so much better off if you'd just listen to me.
    Love,
    Precious
    Yup, I can see why she would get upset or annoyed if you said that to her, which I gather you have the good sense not to, which is good.

My son moved back home to be a commuter student after a couple years out of state, which was unexpected but welcomed. I love and treasure him, but if he were ever to complain about my cooking, I would tell him to take responsibility for his own meals. He is not a child; he's an adult, fully capable of providing for himself. If he wants food supplied by me, he eats what I supply.

What I supply is often takeout, because while he was away, I filled my "empty nest" with other obligations. My entire life had revolved around raising him, and I needed to find other things to do with my time. I went from part time to full time at work, I got involved with multiple local volunteer groups, I made a whole new circle of friends. It was a busy life that kept me from obsessing and hovering over him from a distance.

And then suddenly there was another person in the house again, a person who was even dependent on me for a ride to and from school until he got his own car. A person whose mere presence placed demands on my time, and whose presence at the dinner table meant extra dishes and a more complicated meal than I would bother to prepare for myself. A person who was the center of my life for 18 years and whom I changed my life again to accommodate, because I love him endlessly.

This is my second weight loss rodeo in the past few years. I had lost about 30 pounds from the time he left until the time he returned. I gained it all back in the following year. Not just because of his return, but it was definitely a contributing factor. With someone else in the home, common courtesy requires a somewhat different lifestyle than the one I was keeping alone.

Happily, he's a pretty independent young man. He holds down a job, buys a fair amount of groceries (for the household), prepares his own breakfast and lunch, and occasionally cooks dinner for us both before I get home from work -- for which I'm grateful because he's a pretty darned good cook and I'm a pretty busy working mom. In general, we get along fantastically because we communicate well and are considerate of each other's time and space. I think the world of him and respect him as the adult he's become.

I don't really need to know your "details/full situation." What you've said here speaks volumes, and the details don't really matter in a situation that's emotionally charged and complicated for both of you. Please look at it from her perspective. It's not all about you. She's not sabotaging you, even unintentionally. She's trying to cope with a life change -- whether it's one that brought you back as a dependent or as a caregiver, it's a big change in her life as well as yours. Instead of lecturing her about your food choices, go out and make them for yourself. You're not a child anymore. You control what you eat. And she's under no obligation to "be a little mindful" of what you want. You want it, you make it happen. You can work it out with her; just acknowledge her efforts in the process.

And for heaven's sake, don't try to control her. That way lies madness, failure, and tears. I'd suggest you work on living your own life as an example. If she sees it working for you, sees your results and how much more energy you have, et cetera, she may decide to try it. If not, that is her choice, and it would be presumptuous to think you can or should change her. Again, her perspective... She wiped your butt for a year or two. She raised you, and obviously she did a pretty competent job of it -- because here you are, a lovely and thoughtful young woman working to take personal responsibility for your own life and body. From her perspective, she's done a lot of things right. To walk in now and tell her that she's #doingitwrong is, perhaps, what one would expect in the early teen years.

Good luck. Relating to a parent on an adult level takes time, adjustment, and patience. On both your parts. :)
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the suggestions! It's only a problem as i KNOW my mum will go in a mood with me and get peed off if i do my own thing.. not sure why but she will and that's another thing i'm worried about
    thanks so much again :)
    <3

one thing i've learned about parents growing up is that sometimes you just have to let them get pissed and go about your business. You're trying to better yourself, if she doesn't want to understand that then it's best to just let it be. Buy your own food, cook your own meals, if she gets mad don't talk back, don't disrespect her or yell, just go about your healthy living. Eventually she will understand that throwing a fit is not gonna sway you from the healthy changes you are trying to make, and she will relax. I had to do this with my grandmother since she was the cook in my house. I buy my own food and cook my own food so she doesn't even ask if I want dinner and she's always congratulating me on my progress. Give it time.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    and to those saying i'm changing my eating habits and it's not fair on my mum, my mum's been told by the dr to go to the gym etc so i'm also thinking it would be best for her, as she's unhappy too. which isn't very good "/ i want her to be happy with herself again
    <3

Which is very admirable, but I am here to tell you that it is a rare person that will choose to start a healthier lifestyle if they even think they are being pushed or maneuvered into it. Even simple encouragement from you is likely to backfire. Doctors can do it, sometimes, but the person's kid? Usually the person will go the other direction even more.

Best thing you can do here is to stick to your healthy lifestyle and be happy with it. If you set an example and don't try to encourage your mother to follow, she might actually do what you're hoping for and follow suit.

I'm in a bit of the same situation at the moment with a family member. Really hoping he gets on the bandwagon, and he has started to make comments that indicate he's thinking about it, but if I push in even the most subtle way, it's over.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the suggestions! It's only a problem as i KNOW my mum will go in a mood with me and get peed off if i do my own thing.. not sure why but she will and that's another thing i'm worried about
    thanks so much again :)
    <3
    If she seems to be irritated with you making your own food, or makes snarky comments -- here's what you do:
    Agree with her.

"I don't know why you bother, when I've made a perfectly good meal" "You are right mom, it looks fantastic . I bet you'll all enjoy that!
    "Not another salad, that's just fancy rabbit food." "Exactly mom! I'm just your fancy rabbit!"

After a while she'll just realize that you eat the way you eat & it's not a rejection of her caretaking skills or criticism of her cooking/diet.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I live with my mom, I'm her caregiver now -- she has developed dementia, so there are ongoing struggles for control around food. I prepare the meals and she changes what she will and won't eat frequently, so I have to constantly accomodate that. As well, I'm a vegetarian and she's not. Then there's the fact that she has a personality disorder on top of that. We are in constant "negotiations" about food.

You've got some good advice here, but with all due respect , people are only able to offer opinions based on their own experiences. I don't think anyone has considered whether your mom might have a personality disorder or control issues. If she does, then you will simply have to find a way to accomodate her (by threatening her as little as possible) while maintaining your goals. I think someone mentioned making a big salad and filling up on that while taking very small portions of some of your mom's foods. If you cook, or want to learn, how about getting your mom to teach you a few of her dishes and then making them over to be lower fat and have healthier ingredients? If it's pasta,for example. make a classic tomato sauce and add plenty of veggies like onions, green pepper, zucchinni, olives etc. You'll find a function on MFP where you can enter all the ingredients, save the recipe, and discover what size portion you're allowed. Your mom can eat more.

And I do make room for the fact that your mom might be trying to sabotage you because your healthy changes threaten her in some way. Really, you are the one in the situation-- you know your mom best and you are the only one that can make that determination. Be strong, and the best of luck to you, and a hug to you as a caring daughter.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Moms always think they know what's best. There's nothing wrong with turning down what she cooks. There's also nothing wrong with accepting some of what she cooks. You'll find the happy medium.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • st0dad
    st0dad Posts: 23
    Options
    So, as a person in this EXACT situation, I am reading some posts here and worry you're getting ignorant responses.

No. Buying your own food doesn't often help. Now you just have a surplus of food, and when mom offers to cook something unhealthy, and you say "I have my own food" you're gonna get the same upset response as if you didn't. I would definitely suggest against that.

What I did was sit my mom down (I moved in with her 'cuz she couldn't live on her own financially) and said "Mom, I'm going to start eating healthier," and she complained that she was going to now starve because of me. I said that wouldn't happen.

My best advice is to do portion control. Try to sway mom towards healthy food and subtlety is often the key here I've noticed, but if she does want to cook and it's unhealthy and fattening, just get a decent portion (not too small after all) and eat slowly, so your body registers when you're properly full. It's definitely helped me when I come home from work and mom has made something ridiculous with brownies.