I dunno. I only ever eat it with curry so I don't really taste it haha
  • What316
    What316 Posts: 563
    Options
    What I like to do is cook the brown rice open the bin and f&@k it in ..yuk
  • Penelope2738
    Penelope2738 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like brown rice, especially because I "think" it's healthier for me, fiber wise etc. The best was when I soaked it overnight, rinsed it, and then cooked it, it was super fluffy! A lot of people don't think to wash their rice, but it's a good idea to do so, considering dirt, stones, hands, etc. that it has been through. Chicken broth is better than =vegetable to cook grains in anyway for taste!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    White rice is totally devoid of any nutrients except for starch which rapidly breaks down into sugar in the bloodstream. Brown rice has vitamins, protein, minerals and fiber. Both are fairly high in natural arsenic, brown having more than white. Brown basmati rice may be more appealing in flavor, but it's tough to find.

(I am a real MD, preventive medicine certified)

What if I already get the other things mentioned from other foods? I presume rice is not the only carb op eats.

I wish people would stop giving the protein content in brown rice as some sort of "Win" for the brown rice

100grams white rice - 4 grams protein
    100grams brown rice - 5 grams protein
    I don't see that 1extra gram of protein really effecting anyone progress(both are fairly poor quality sources of protein anyway)

plus it only has about 3 grams more fiber per 100g gram than white..........not exactly life changing.

Dont like brown rice, don't eat it just get your fibre and vitamins from somewhere esle.
  • dmhub
    dmhub Posts: 1
    Options
    I add sautéed onions when I add the rice...
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    HEY MFP!!! Please give me some tips on making my brown rice tasty! its so nasty to me! Someone told me to add vegetable broth and I did, it was ok but still not that tasty.. and ideas!!???
    \

What kind of brown rice are you eating, short grain or long grain? I found long grain to not be very good, but short grain is MUCH better.
  • sebshaw8
    sebshaw8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    White rice is high GI. Brown rice & basmati rice are medium GI. If you don't like the brown, you could try the lower GI basmati white
    GI doesn't matter much when it comes to rice. Studies show that eating one or the other doesn't change any risks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

The only study you have shown in your previous post is http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/9/1685.full where they state "Substituting white rice with brown rice for 16 weeks did not SUBSTANTIALLY affect metabolic risk factors in middle-aged CHINESE men and women with diabetes or a high risk for diabetes."

First, this randomized trial was conducted in China to test the feasibility of changing the standard Chinese diet from white rice to brown rice since many long running prospective cohort studies have shown that individuals with increased white rice intake are associated with a higher risk of type 2 diabetes and other heart and blood diseases. For example see...
    (Villegas R, Liu S, Gao YT, Yang G, Li H, Zheng W, Shu XO. Prospective study of dietary carbohydrates, glycemic index, glycemic load, and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in middle-aged Chinese women. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167:2310–6. )

And "the dramatic rise in the prevalence of diabetes is expected to result in a serious economic burden for China."
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/9/1685.full

So the intent of this article was to test the feasibility of the switch to avert a potential unwanted economic burden rather than prove one rice was healthier than the other.

Second, the article states that the GI for the rice used in the trial were nearly equivalent.
    (The GI values of WR and BR were 63 and 59, respectively, which were comparable to those previously reported (64 ± 7 vs. 55 ± 5; P = 0.53, with glucose as reference). If one of the major benefits from brown rice results from its much lower GI and GL, then using the rice samples with nearly equivalent GI will likely produce nearly equivalent results, ie no substantial improvement.

However, the GI of rice and other foods can vary based upon geography for botanical reasons.
    >>>
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/1/5.full.pdf

Although it is clear that GI values are generally reproducible
    from place to place, there are some instances of wide variation
    for the same food. Rice, for example, shows a large range of GI
    values, but this variation is due to inherent botanical differences
    in rice from country to country rather than to methodologic dif-
    ferences. Differences in the amylose content could explain much
    of the variation in the GI values of rice (and other foods) because
    amylose is digested more slowly than is amylopectin starch (32).
    GI values for rice cannot be reliably predicted on the basis of the
    size of the grain (short or long grain) or the type of cooking
    method. Rice is obviously one type of food that needs to be
    tested brand by brand locally.
    <<<<

>>>
    While brown rice and white rice do not have much difference with respect to GI in China, there is a marked difference in the United States.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/suppl/2008/09/18/dc08-1239.DC1/TableA1_1.pdf
    (The legend goes from left to right: item number - Description of product - GI value or range ) , NS= not specified

white rice
    511 Type NS (Canada) 72±9
    512 Type NS, boiled in salted water (India) 72
    513 Type NS (China) 83±1

brown rice
    534 Brown Rice, Uncle Ben's® Ready Whole Grain (pouch) (Effem Foods, USA) 48±5
    535 Brown & Wild, Uncle Ben's® Ready Whole Grain Medley (pouch) (Effem Foods, USA) 45±5
    536 Chicken Flavored Brown Rice, Uncle Ben's® Ready Whole Grain (pouch) (Effem Foods, USA) 46±4

588 Brown, steamed(USA) 50
    590 Brown rice (China) 87±2

The above information is from the 2002 landmark study upon which the article you cite draws much of its information.

Further, the table was updated in 2008 with similar results.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

GI serving (g) GL
    White rice, average 89 150 43
    Brown rice, average 50 150 16

excerpted from the updated 2008 table to the original 2002 table

(
    The complete list of the glycemic index and glycemic load for more than 1,000 foods can be found in the article "International

tables of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2008" by Fiona S. Atkinson, Kaye Foster-Powell, and Jennie C.

Brand-Miller in the December 2008 issue of Diabetes Care, Vol. 31, number 12, pages 2281-2283.

An earlier version of this table appeared here: "International tables of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2002," by Kaye

Foster-Powell, Susanna H.A. Holt, and Janette C. Brand-Miller in the July 2002 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 62,

pages 5–56.
    )

Brown rice grown and consumed in the United States will very likely have a significantly lower GI than white rice grown and consumed in the United States. Not only will persons who eat white rice lose the all the "dietary fiber, magnesium, and phytochemicals" (http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/9/1685.full) contained within brown rice, but they will also suffer from a higher GI and GL and all the challenges associated with that syndrome.

And for those who do not like the glycemic index please note the following passage again showing the benefits of brown rice when compared to white rice.
    (http://arp.optimalhealthsystems.com/showeduc.asp?id=7)
    "While the GI of the white and brown rice were similar the insulin response for brown rice was significantly lower than for white rice. These findings in this study also raise questions about the value of the GI alone without knowledge of the insulin response to foods. (1)"

Therefore, I agree, if you don't like something, such as brown rice, don't eat it. However, don't substitute something that is deleterious to your health, such as white rice, and think that it is okay because there was one article that said that in China there was no substantial improvement.

Below is a link to another article by many of the same authors which studies a US population instead of a Chinese population.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3024208/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    White rice is high GI. Brown rice & basmati rice are medium GI. If you don't like the brown, you could try the lower GI basmati white
    GI doesn't matter much when it comes to rice. Studies show that eating one or the other doesn't change any risks.

IDEA Fitness member

The only study you have shown in your previous post is http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/9/1685.full where they state "Substituting white rice with brown rice for 16 weeks did not SUBSTANTIALLY affect metabolic risk factors in middle-aged CHINESE men and women with diabetes or a high risk for diabetes."

First, this randomized trial was conducted in China to test the feasibility of changing the standard Chinese diet from white rice to brown rice since many long running prospective cohort studies have shown that individuals with increased white rice intake are associated with a higher risk of type 2 diabetes and other heart and blood diseases. For example see...
    (Villegas R, Liu S, Gao YT, Yang G, Li H, Zheng W, Shu XO. Prospective study of dietary carbohydrates, glycemic index, glycemic load, and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in middle-aged Chinese women. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167:2310–6. )

And "the dramatic rise in the prevalence of diabetes is expected to result in a serious economic burden for China."

So the intent of this article was to test the feasibility of the switch to avert a potential unwanted economic burden rather than prove one rice was healthier than the other.

Second, the article states that the GI for the rice used in the trial were nearly equivalent.
    (The GI values of WR and BR were 63 and 59, respectively, which were comparable to those previously reported (64 ± 7 vs. 55 ± 5; P = 0.53, with glucose as reference). If one of the major benefits from brown rice results from its much lower GI and GL, then using the rice samples with nearly equivalent GI will likely produce nearly equivalent results, ie no substantial improvement.

However, the GI of rice and other foods can vary based upon geography for botanical reasons.
    >>>

<<<<

>>>
    While brown rice and white rice do not have much difference with respect to GI in China, there is a marked difference in the United States.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/suppl/2008/09/18/dc08-1239.DC1/TableA1_1.pdf
    (The legend goes from left to right: item number - Description of product - GI value or range ) , NS= not specified

white rice
    513 Type NS (China) 83±1

brown rice
    535 Brown & Wild, Uncle Ben's® Ready Whole Grain Medley (pouch) (Effem Foods, USA) 45±5
    536 Chicken Flavored Brown Rice, Uncle Ben's® Ready Whole Grain (pouch) (Effem Foods, USA) 46±4

The above information is from the 2002 landmark study upon which the article you cite draws much of its information.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

GI serving (g) GL

(
    The complete list of the glycemic index and glycemic load for more than 1,000 foods can be found in the article "International

tables of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2008" by Fiona S. Atkinson, Kaye Foster-Powell, and Jennie C.

Brand-Miller in the December 2008 issue of Diabetes Care, Vol. 31, number 12, pages 2281-2283.

An earlier version of this table appeared here: "International tables of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2002," by Kaye

Foster-Powell, Susanna H.A. Holt, and Janette C. Brand-Miller in the July 2002 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 62,

pages 5–56.
    )

Brown rice grown and consumed in the United States will very likely have a significantly lower GI than white rice grown and consumed in the United States. Not only will persons who eat white rice lose the all the "dietary fiber, magnesium, and phytochemicals" (http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/9/1685.full) contained within brown rice, but they will also suffer from a higher GI and GL and all the challenges associated with that syndrome.

And for those who do not like the glycemic index please note the following passage again showing the benefits of brown rice when compared to white rice.
    "While the GI of the white and brown rice were similar the insulin response for brown rice was significantly lower than for white rice. These findings in this study also raise questions about the value of the GI alone without knowledge of the insulin response to foods. (1)"

Therefore, I agree, if you don't like something, such as brown rice, don't eat it. However, don't substitute something that is deleterious to your health, such as white rice, and think that it is okay because there was one article that said that in China there was no substantial improvement.

Below is a link to another article by many of the same authors which studies a US population instead of a Chinese population.
    Getting the Chinese to switch to brown rice is never going to happen, hopefully anyway. We talked India into replacing ghee with polyunsaturated refined vegetable oils, that didn't turn out to well. Regardless of GI or GL it's about over consumption not any particular food..........dysfunction on an individual basis is another matter.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    So is white rice good or bad?!

neither.

it's food.

do you like it? eat it.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I like white rice, it's good, and good for you. It has a nice gentle fiber, and is not the nutritional failure that some say it is.
    If you don't like brown rice, it's probably because you have not tasted a good recipe. Also there are many varieties of rice, with different tastes and textures.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i throw a bag of frozen mixed veggies and a couple boullion cubes in with the rice while its cooking. Usually i'll make a big batch and use it for fried rice, in wraps, toss in soup right before serving,.... the possibilities are endless ;) plus it gets in an extra serving of veggies!
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Most people don't realize that brown rice has a higher fat content than white rice and must be refrigerated or stored in the freezer. Otherwise the fat becomes rancid and the rice does not taste good. Fresh brown rice, if cooked properly, has a faint nutty flavor and is quite good. Make sure to buy it from a grocery store that has good turnover, such as Whole Foods or other "healthy" type places. I use a Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker and the grains come out tender and not sticky or overcooked. Also, I like to add a bit of Thai brown rice (1/4 cup Thai brown rice to 3/4 cup regular brown rice) when I make a batch. I cook it up and then freeze for later use since it takes about
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,693 Member
    Options

What studies are these?
    I posted the link on a previous post.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I wouldn't advise eating white rice.
    What's the reason? Is it opinion or has it been scientifically peer reviewed studied as to why you don't advise it and if so please provide a link.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    White rice is fine. Over consumption is the reason for weight gain.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    White rice is totally devoid of any nutrients except for starch which rapidly breaks down into sugar in the bloodstream.
    So no calcium or iron in it?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

>>>

<<<<

>>>

white rice
    513 Type NS (China) 83±1

brown rice

GI serving (g) GL

(

pages 5–56.
    )

Great links and thanks for the info. But it still doesn't change the "taste" of brown compared to white (which is preference of course) and the nutritional values still aren't significantly different, nor enough to impact health with either.

IDEA Fitness member