BROWN RICE!!!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy brown rice, but find the brand and cooking makes a difference. Lundberg, from California, and the brand Costco carries, I think it's Delrose, are our favourites. Wash the rice in a strainer, mix a cup with 2 1/4 cups water, being to a boil and reduce heat and cover. Cook for 30 minutes, take off the heat and fluff with a fork. Cover and let sit for a few minutes. Cool, transfer to a casserole dish and reheat in the microwave when you want to eat it. Enjoy!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    if you don't like brown rice, just eat white rice instead.

i like brown rice in sushi bowls, with eggplant curry over it, in burrito bowls, or with a buttload of veggies and sauce like soysauce or honey dijon. also good with some black beans cheese and salsa.

but seriously, if you don't like it then don't eat it
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    word on the street is arsenic in brown rice more than white rice. don't know too much about this though. mmm arsenic om nom nom
  • LoriIAM
    LoriIAM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love brown rice (I guess it shows I've been living in Japan for too long). I prefer it to white rice because of the taste alone. Here it's usually served mixed with sesame seeds and sweet read beans...

We live in California and eat brown rice for our main starch, usually every night with dinner, but rarely alone. I was surprised to hear that anyone thinks it tastes nasty. We love it. Each to his own.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bit of butter and garlic before on frying pan then add brown rice = garlic fried rice quite nice :)
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is a bit better since anything in a less processed state is typically better but there's no magic in it for weight loss purposes. There are no "fat burners" in the rice brown or white. Eat the one you prefer and work it into your macro nutrients and caloric intake and don't give it any more thought.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    Re: brown rice vs white, technically, brown rice would be a slightly inferior choice to white rice from the standpoint of nutrient bioavailability & nitrogen retention.

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...ubmed_RVDocSum

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...ubmed_RVDocSum
  • MrsFitNSexySimmons
    Options
    Brown rice is better than white rice because it is not processed. White rice has zero nutritional value is and highly processed.

If you do not like it then do not force yourself to eat it, there are far too many healthy food options out there. But I would definitely stay away from anything processed such as white rice.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    It's this simple for fat loss:

Do not look further than, Protein, carb & fat, that is IT. its that simple
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Brown rice is better than white rice because it is not processed. White rice has zero nutritional value is and highly processed.

If you do not like it then do not force yourself to eat it, there are far too many healthy food options out there. But I would definitely stay away from anything processed such as white rice.

This is just ridiculous, un-needed information though.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Add stuff to the water you cook it in. These are some things I've tried in the past and enjoyed:
    Minced onion
    Minced chili pepper
    Minced garlic
    Terayaki sauce
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options

This is just ridiculous, un-needed information though.

Yea agree people make things too complicated for themselves
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Boil it in coconut milk and add a sweetener of your choice. Mix in chunks of papaya or mango and boom...coconut rice dessert!

So tired of peeps hatin on rice, especially white.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    Re: brown rice vs white, technically, brown rice would be a slightly inferior choice to white rice from the standpoint of nutrient bioavailability & nitrogen retention.

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...ubmed_RVDocSum

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...ubmed_RVDocSum
    Another win for white rice then!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

There is protein, carbs, iron, calcium and even B1 and B3 in white rice. Argument is invalid since brown rice, though less processed, doesn't really increase nutrition or fiber significantly.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ChiManLifts
    Options
    I am continually astounded by the amount of broscience on here. Wut.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I am continually astounded by the amount of broscience on here. Wut.

Entire forum is full of it, why I started that thread earlier to help people - this can't go on, lol.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lots are amazed by celebrity docs and trainers. They're on TV so they must know what they are talking about...................or they are just really good at getting ratings for the network they work for.

I'll go with the latter.

IDEA Fitness member