Hiding Weight Loss From Friends

Options
Is this strange? I haven't told many people that I have started exercising/losing weight. The reason being: When I have told people in the past I am trying to lose weight - they say they notice, but then I gain back and feel like I failed. My friends never say anything about me gaining it back, but it does bug me. Has anyone else just tried to lose weight secretly and NOT told many people? How has the long term motivation worked for anyone that has if no one knows?

My boyfriend of 7 years knows I am trying again and he has been very supported, like everytime else I have tried. He has NEVER made me feel like I have failed. (I just had to throw that out cuz I love him so much :love: )

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I don't hide it from my friends, never have. I have lost weight then put it back on many times.

Motivation has to come from yourself for this to work. Either you want it, or you don't.

I have tried to lose weight 100x. I failed every singe one of them, except the one that stuck this last time.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I didn't really hide it, but I didn't really discuss it either. I didn't want to feel like I let everyone down if I failed. Motivation-wise it didn't make any difference if I told people or not.
  • leahcarrie
    leahcarrie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I never announced it to anyone, but once I started losing weight everyone noticed...so now everyone asks me how it's going and what not. I don't really care though I keep trucking, bottom line is I'm doing this for myself.
  • clarklynch
    clarklynch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I didn't tell anyone for the same reasons. When enough weight has finally dropped off they will notice. We don't bring food to work so no worries making excuses why I'm not eating donuts and so forth. Keep up the good work!:wink:
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Is this strange? I haven't told many people that I have started exercising/losing weight. The reason being: When I have told people in the past I am trying to lose weight - they say they notice, but then I gain back and feel like I failed. My friends never say anything about me gaining it back, but it does bug me. Has anyone else just tried to lose weight secretly and NOT told many people? How has the long term motivation worked for anyone that has if no one knows?

My boyfriend of 7 years knows I am trying again and he has been very supported, like everytime else I have tried. He has NEVER made me feel like I have failed. (I just had to throw that out cuz I love him so much :love: )

I don't hide it, I just don't mention it. Mainly because I don't want to feel like I'm fishing cause then I get "but you're not fat" and statements like that. We all gotta do it our own ways :)
  • Turtlesallthewaydown
    Options
    I don't mention my weight loss unless someone else does. I figure if it isn't significant enough for anyone to have noticed, it's too soon to celebrate.
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I haven't told anyone except my mother-in-law....She and my husband have been very supportive!!!! i just hate looking like a failure!!!!
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't really announce it to people. I might say "Oh I went for a run last night" or something, but not that I am actively working my tail off. I think its all in my head. I don't want people to know that I am actively trying because I don't want them to feel obligated to say "oh think you've lost some weight, you look great" when or if I really haven't. I don't think its strange. If people notice and give genuine compliments, I say thanks! and keep it going. People close to me know though, like my family and my husband, but not people I work with or random friends.
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't post anything about it really, especially my weight loss. I don't want family to know yet, except my sister and niece because they're trying, too. My family would probably just at "yeah okay we'll see if you're serious" whereas my sister is very supportive and makes me feel good about trying. Friends, I don't tell. Unless they ask then I say that I am trying. Other than that, I will let them notice when more weight comes off.
  • splitendswoman
    splitendswoman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't really say much, unless asked. Years ago, I did tell everyone, and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who tried to sabotage my efforts, offering biscuits, cakes, sweets, etc. It was really annoying.

Also, if I am out and about and am offered something calorific to eat - I don't say "No I can't I'm on a diet", I just politely say "oh, I've just eaten and I'm not very hungry". If you say you're on a diet , they turn into Mrs Doyle from Father Ted - "You'll have some.. are you sure you don't want any? Aw go on, you'll have some. Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on GO ON! ! Lol!
  • wareje
    wareje Posts: 42
    Options
    I hide it for sure.
    I'm a shorty and only want to loose a few kgs, if I ever pass on the morning tea cakes or mention I'm watching what I'm eating all I get is a stupid expression and a 'why you're already tiny'
    nice of them to say but I know they are only saying that because I am 'tinier' than them, not 'tiny' for my height.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Yup, I didn't mention it to anyone at first, not even my husband, mom, or sisters. I'd lost about 15, maybe even 20 lbs before I said anything to them. I too didn't want to feel like a failure, I didn't trust I'd stick to it. This was something I did for myself mostly all by myself ;)
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have told my mother-in-law, my husband, and my kids. No one other than that.

I haven't really seen many people, or talked to anyone since my mother passed away. So that's why I haven't told anyone.

My cousins, aunts, and well... Mostly all of my family members are drama queens/kings. So I am waiting until I bump into one of them. I am still not telling them I have been trying to lose weight. If they notice, they notice. If they don't, they don't.
    Either way, I am looking forward to hearing the rumors they will start about me. (-:
  • losingluisa
    losingluisa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on WHO you're telling. I have a handful of close friends but I know who I can tell and who I can't. It doesn't define how close we are, there's just people who handle it well.
    I'm not putting it on facebook. Those people who post every time they go for a run or every time they do a sit up drive me nuts. Haha.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't announce it to many people at all, just people who are around me all of the time. I don't really recall if I had a good reason for it, but now, 50 pounds later and having basically maintained that for a year +, people are still commenting on how well I did! :) Do it your way, whatever makes you comfortable. I had enough friends on here to hold me accountable!
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't hide it from people but I don't announce it in my everyday life. Most people close to me, including co workers know that I workout a minimum of 30 minutes a day. If the topic comes up it is just part of normal conversation.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Choose your own adventure

1) I TELL EVERYONE AND THEY COMPLIMENT ME BUT I KNOW THEY JUST SAID IT BECAUSE I TOLD THEM.

2) I DON'T TELL ANYONE AND NOT EVEN MY HUSBAND NOTICES

3) I'VE LOST 30 POUNDS AND MY BOSS IS THE ONLY ONE WHO COMMENTED BUT THAT WAS TO FIRE ME FOR BEING TOO HOT NOW.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    i don't tell anyone about my weight loss,, i don't tell about my diet,supplements,exercise & schedule ,, i am happy about the people who compliment me but the people who are negative to me,, well i dont give a s**t or f**k ,, i just smile or laugh,, and karma will kill them :glasses:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Choose your own adventure

1) I TELL EVERYONE AND THEY COMPLIMENT ME BUT I KNOW THEY JUST SAID IT BECAUSE I TOLD THEM.

2) I DON'T TELL ANYONE AND NOT EVEN MY HUSBAND NOTICES

3) I'VE LOST 30 POUNDS AND MY BOSS IS THE ONLY ONE WHO COMMENTED BUT THAT WAS TO FIRE ME FOR BEING TOO HOT NOW.

4) YOU WALKED INTO QUICKSAND. DO YOU GRAB THE ROPE HANGING ABOVE YOUR HEAD OR CALL FOR HELP
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I didnt and dont post on facebook about it... or any loses... but my partner and a few close friends know I am working on my body... and my family know I am working on getting my cholesterol down... ( and said friends)... the only people I see often are my close friends and my partner...