WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,914 Member
2889349tip2etpbot.gif

:bigsmile: Welcome to the ongoing supportive community for women…..the title says Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for July?

:flowerforyou: What goals and resolutions have you set for August?

:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: Be watching for a strength training challenge that will be perfect for us.

:bigsmile: If you have been part of this community we welcome you back.

:flowerforyou: If you are here for the first time, you can become part of the community just by posting and coming back regularly to join the conversation.

:flowerforyou: It makes the thread more personal if you’ll sign with your name (or alias) and general geographic location.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

July Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard (not finished yet, but making great progress)
*continue with the squat challenge (continuing with the harder challenge)
* a plank a day (every day)
*18,000 steps a day (every day

33,000 one day)
*don’t take things personally (wow, is this a great resolution)
*don’t expect praise or recognition (this is also a great way to live)
*keep doing the things that have been working (going great)

August Resolutions
*finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard
*participate in the new strength training challenge
*walk 18,000 steps a day
*act the way I want to feel

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Be back with new goals. Have a goodnite!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie :flowerforyou: !!!

Good night everyone!!! Sleep tight and sweet dreams:yawn: !

Hugs,
    DeeDee:yawn: in NC
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,
    Took me 3 nights, but I’ve finally caught up with over a week’s worth of posts. :happy: It was a fun, but hard week of work in Cuernavaca and Mexico City. Got to meet people from all over Central and South America. I love travel, but it does really mess with my eating and exercise regime. I came back with an extra 3 pounds. Fortunately, it’s already starting to come off after 3 days back home, in the gym and tracking my food. :drinker:

I had an NSV on my last day in Mexico City. I took a tour of the pyramids at Teotihuacan. I was the oldest in a group of 9 people including 2 teenagers. Guess who was first to the top of the Sun pyramid? The stairs were steep and tall, but all the hours on the bike and elliptical machine has definitely strengthened my legs and lungs. Maybe I was drawing energy from the spirit of the Aztecs, but I felt great all the way going up and back down. Also tried some interesting foods and drinks including nopales, pulque, and the fruit from prickly pear cactus. Mexico is beautiful, but I’m so happy to be home. Next trip will be to New York in 3 weeks. :glasses:

Between the travel and a week with a virus, July was a bust for me. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: Will carryover some of my goals to August and really knuckle down.

Sandy: I used to get migraines 5-6 times a year. Started getting them treated with acupuncture and got immediate and lasting results. I hope you find a relief soon.

Barbie: Thanks for always getting this thread up and running every month. Love your before and after photos. You look great, and I envy your knitting skills.

Michelle: Sorry you and Vince are going through a rough patch. Hope all the property, health and other issues get resolved and you have some happier times.

JaneMartin: Sending up prayers for your BFF.

Joyce: Fabulous job losing all those inches and pounds. May you have fun shopping.

Vicki: Bummers about your trike. I hope you can get it restored and you’re back to your fun rides soon.

To all the newbies: Keep coming back. You will find support here.

I may not post often, but please know that wherever I am I do think of this community and all of you going through changes and challenges. Hang in there. Everyone else, stay well.

Rori in the Colorado Foothills

July Progress to Goals:
    Nourish my mind and faith with daily positive affirmations. (Did well with this)
    80 oz of water per day, except on flight days (accomplished)
    Try a new vegetable recipe. (I cooked BEETS for the first time. Loved them.)
    Try a new exercise activity at the nearby community center. (Moving this goal to August)
    Get a double digit number on my weight loss ticker. (Moving this goal to August)
    1529435halqzzk1hb.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting a new thread, Barbie. :bigsmile: I’ll be looking forward to reading about a strength training challenge.

My July resolutions seemed to be on hold all month. :ohwell: The beginning of the month I was sick with the plague passed to me by DGD, (and then to DH by me), and then I didn’t seem to get in gear. I have faith in the resolutions, and hope that I am better able to follow them this month.

We are back from our down-river cruise and had a wonderful time on the boat. :heart: Things have improved greatly and I am hopeful we will continue to enjoy our favorite sport for a long time to come. It has been doubtful for almost two years and this is a wonderful change.:smile: It isn’t that the trip was perfect, but we were able to go, to take care of what needed to be done, and to enjoy ourselves together. Bliss.:love: Our friends are still on the water, but we had to bring DS and DDIL back, and are now too tired to rejoin our friends. Doesn’t matter. We will be out on the water again soon.:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

August goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    yanniejannie - that's great you raised so much for the scholarship fund!

Lila - those stroopwaffles sound really fantastic. I'm going to have to keep my eye out for them. Hopefully, someone around here sells them. I'm so sorry you had such a terrible time getting your refrigerator delivered. I know how frustrating that can be!

subzeromambo - you SHOULD be proud of grooming your Husky. We had an Old English Sheepdog -- all 120lbs ofl him. So I know what work it can be. Good for you logging everything!

grandmalle - sometimes it takes our bodies a while to catch up. You'll see a loss in the future with all those steps. You'll probably see it when you least expect it. What a wonderful neighbor you have! Doesn't it feel so good when your hard work is noticed? We all slip up, the important thing is to get right back up, which is what you're doing...dealing with the consequences. It'll all work out.

Went to senior bowling this afternoon. ServPro was here, they took up all the carpet padding that got wet. I didn't realize that water had gotten into the one bedroom downstairs AND into the closet. They'll be back Friday to see if everything dried out and then we have to deal with getting new padding. I was going to do a DVD tomorrow, have to figure out how I can since there's a lot of things in the exercise room (like the TV, chairs, etc)

Cindy - we had boxes of things that needed to be shredded, finally I got so sick of looking at them that when they had this shredding truck, I took it to them to shred. It was free, so that was good

As far as the new MFP page I'm a visual person and I like the ticker/line thing that tells you your calories. The other things really don't bother me. It was nice when you'd get an alret on the homepage when you had an invitation or a message, but at least I get an email from them

Went to get the newspaper and it's raining AGAIN. Not heavy, but raining just the same, scattered showers. Stop and rain, stop and then rain. Did an hour of yoga today and then an hour of the deep water. Hey, there isn't a yoga class tomorrow so if I need to, I can go to the Y and use their equipment and just take my DVD with me

Jane - prayers for your friend

Joyce - great going, girl! Way to go on the clothes. You rock. Wish I could wear capris, they just don't look good on me at all. Yea, I always need a larger size in denim material pants, too. I think a lot of the sizing has to do with the cut of the item of clothing. I usually take a size 8 in jeans, but in dress pants, etc I can take a 6 and sometimes even a 4. Now one bathing suit I have is a 10, another is an 8....go figure! Oh, I hate the bathing suits with a skirt. They look so, as you say, ugly

I made these double chocolate cookies tonight. For one thing, the Y near me usually keeps their aerobics room locked unless they have a class, but the gal said that she'd open it for me. So I really should take some to her. Also, I want to have some for the ServPro guy when he comes back on Fri. The rest Vince can have (aren't I kthoughtful?). Actually, this recipe calls for some mint extract but Vince said he wouldn't eat them with the mint in them. I'm thinking that mint in them would make them good for the holidays.

Vicki - you'vea sure had your share of problems, that's for sure. I guess I'm lucky in that Vince knows how long you need to keep certain papers and then we can get rid of them. Only problem is that he's a saver. It was me who got rid of all the old papers that needed shredding. If I'd left it up to him, they'd still be sitting in his office.

barbie - good luck oteaching the class. I know you'll be awesome

yanniejannie - sounds like you made a good deal to me

Rori - I love to travel, too, but I found, especially this time, that the time difference really took a toll on me. Wonderful NSV. Doesn't it feel good to do things better than a teenager?

katla - glad you had such a good time on your trip and are back safe and sound

Michele in NC
  • lyndajane14
    Options
    Awesome Barbie (:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot for the new month! Thanks Barbie!

Here are the results for my July Goals:

Weight sessions: 10, actual 9
    Total weights: 166,667, actual 252,050
    Cardio sessions: 15, actual 16
    Cardio time (hrs): 10 hrs, actual 13 hrs
    YTD actual weight lifted: 1,331,060

For August I’m still keeping on with my goal to lift 2 million pounds in 2013 – about 164,000 pounds ahead of schedule.

Goodnight!

Gail, metro ATL
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP on Dec. 31, 2012, I thought really I was trying for something that was probably impossible A 59-year-old woman, with carpal tunnel, hip pain, high stress, very little activity, 228 pounds. Come on. How was I going to lose weight? I had even worked with a nutritionist, learned all the good things about what I should eat...but had had very limited success. Even after I joined the site and I looked at the groups on older women, they mainly seemed to be full of complaints about weight not moving, about how impossible it was at this age.

That didn't seem helpful, so I went looking for older women who were out there getting weight loss accomplished instead of complaining about how hard it was. I was religious about my food diary--on MFP it was fun and I had never been able to keep one before.

I think the problem I had losing weight before was from not keeping a diary and telling myself all kinds of fairy tales about how much I was really eating. In any case, it's seven months later now and as of this morning I have lost all but 0.6 pounds of the 48 pounds I had set as my 2013 goal and had worried greatly that I'd never meet. I have 30 more pounds after that to get to my actual goal, which will take me from being severly obese to normal weight. (I just crossed over into "overweight" territory, which felt wonderful.) I had thought I would take a "break" after 48 pounds and give myself permission to eat a few things I hadn't been able to eat. I don't feel the need for that; I'm very happy eating as I do, especially after discovering shirataki noodles and thus a very low-cal way to make pad thai. We actually prefer it to the restaurant's.

I exercise now almost every day--hip pain or no hip pain. Moved from walking to cardio and now adding HIIT routines. Soon I need to begin more strength training. I never stopped hiking, but where I was barely able to drag myself up a hill before, I'm now marching up them.

I need this right now. My job is in constant jeopardy because of the struggling company I work for (in fact, one of many reasons for losing weight was that I knew I could find a new job more easily if I looked better and were in more vital shape). My husband's job is in constant jeopardy because of squirrelly contracts and in fact things don't look good on that score right now, a source of anxiety. But at least I have this very positive thing in my life. (and a great family.)
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies! Hope everyone had a great day. I was busy with housework, etc... Yesterday was a fantastic day on the water in our kayaks. It was a little more challenging than most of our paddles due to stronger winds that caused higher waves. It felt great to be able to handle it with no trouble. Must be getting stronger!!:love:

I will be back in the morning to respond to all of you, but for now I really need sleep!!

Deb A in CNY
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank Goodness! I found you all again! I don't know what has possessed my MFP connection, but everytime I tried to log on to this board for the last two days, it would only open the locked thread. I was very confused!

I had a wonderfully delicous, no-good, very bad day yesterday. I went shopping with a gluten free friend to specifically stock up on gf food. We did. I did. And, we ate. We went to a gf bakery and cafe ; we went to P.F. Chang's for their gf menu, and we shopped at Costco because they carry gf foods. Needless to say, yesterday I was over on my counts. Today I am back on track, but I find myself thinking of the goodies that I have stashed in the freezer. It makes this difficult, but knowing that I will record every bite and have to look at it in black & white does help me stay on track or get back on track when I slip.

I think I did achieve most of my July goals. I did log all of my food, I did stay connected through this board; and I did lose more weight this month. The goal I did not achieve was the consistent exercise regime. That will me my priority goal for August.

Thank you, Barb, for all of the work you do to keep this group/board up and running. I am very grateful.

Rori- Congratulations on your NSV! I could not make it up those stairs...... I am happy that you did!

Michele- I am sorry that the water made such a mess of your basement. Hopefully, ServPro can get it taken care of for you.

Mahanaibu- I am glad that you have proven your inner voice wrong, and that you are doing so well. I look forward to reading about your continued success!

Lila- What are 'stroopwaffles'? Sounds very interesting.

I hope everyone has finished the month feeling good about their journies. I, even with the slips, feel Blessed that I have found this program and this wonderful group to help me on my journey.

Good Night, my friends,
    Pat (Phoo)
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Mahanaibu "I need this right now. My job is in constant jeopardy because of the struggling company I work for (in fact, one of many reasons for losing weight was that I knew I could find a new job more easily if I looked better and were in more vital shape). My husband's job is in constant jeopardy because of squirrelly contracts and in fact things don't look good on that score right now, a source of anxiety. But at least I have this very positive thing in my life. (and a great family.)"

This broke my heart! I cannot understand why we as a society judge a person's abilities by their appearance. However, I commend you for committing o s more healthy you and wish you success on both journeys. We are here with you and will support you in any way we can and any way you want. Hang in there girl!

Barbie - after your opening post I just wanted to break into song " and the livin' is easy!" Thanks for all your work on keeping this post alive and well. (and inspired).

Michele - I'm reading the fridge manual and learning how long it's been since I had a new fridge. Amazing things they can do now. Next is the 40" gas stove that will cost me an arm and a leg. Maybe I'll pop over the line for one because your prices seem to be much better than ours. And I have to convert the temperature readings too because they are in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius so obviously what I have is an Amercian made fridge anyway!!:happy:

Time to go and make a late, late dinner (better make it light because I'll have trouble sleeping otherwise).

Lila in the hot but tI think lightning attracting Kootenays!
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Eileen.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michelle:flowerforyou: my ankles are the only thing I like about my legs. So my capris have to be fairly long and these are. My calf is still to big, maybe that's one of the reasons seeing me in a bathing suit is objectionable. Or maybe I just have a body image problem. Oh, it was my daughter Michelle that took me shopping today. she is the one who takes care of me wherever I go. Lie this weekend at the amusement/water park. handicapped people can get a fast pass. You have to take it to the people running the ride, they give you a specific time to come back so you can go about your business and enjoy yourself while waiting. And then you canuse the handicap entrance. She is ALWAYS the one who goes with me. She could have stayed back with the family and enjoyed the time with her most favorite brother in law and neices but she stays with me. She makes sure no one is in the way of my scooter. Some people can be quite rude and just run in front of you. If she sees I am getting to hot, a no no for some one with MS, she will make sure I have water. She is a keeper. I wish she would let me have a deeper emotional connection with her but I know that she deeply loves and cares for me. So I love your name!!:flowerforyou:

Joyce
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Well I really over did it at Duke's tonight. DH wanted appetizers and dessert. Even with an 1 1/2 hour walk along the beach after I was still way way over. No time to respond to everyone - just sending aloha out.

July Goals:
    Continue to maintain by logging, sticking to my calories and working out - check
    Continue to try new healthy foods and do the next challenge Renny puts out there (no pressure Renny) - need to come up with my own veggie challenge but doing well on eating fruits and veggies
    Add a physical challenge (doing the squat challenge right now - do the next one put out there) - check and starting a strength training challenge when done with the squat challenge
    Keep treats as occasional vs. daily indulgences - major fail
    Finish de-cluttering: attacking the recipes and cookbooks - fail
    Complete outstanding jewelry orders - fail
    Practice piano - fail
    Drink lots of water - pretty good

August Goals
    Continue to maintain by logging, sticking to my calories and working out
    Continue to try new healthy foods and try local foods in my travels
    Add a physical challenge - launch strength challenge
    Keep treats as occasional vs. daily indulgences
    Finish de-cluttering: attacking the recipes and cookbooks
    Complete outstanding jewelry orders
    Drink lots of water

Have a great day, Jodios
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    AUGUST ALREADY?!!! :noway: It seems the older one gets, the faster time seem to go by.:tongue: That's why it is so important to live your dreams today. So important to become the person that you were meant to be. So important to build relationships. So important to tell those around you that you love them. And so very important to reach out to those who you don't know. IT IS TIME TO COME OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE AND INTO YOUR COMBAT ZONE. :smile:

:heart: It is time to combat the doubt that you have about what you can accomplish.

:heart: It is time to combat the naysayers that tell you that you cannot win.

:heart: It is time to combat the fear that keep you stifled from moving forward.

:heart: It is time to combat the the tears of sorrow and replace them with tears of joy.

:heart: It is time to combat the blame, the shame and the pain and forgive not only others, but yourself.

:heart: It is time to combat YOU!!

Do not go another day without realizing that you are marvelously made, a remarkable creation, a masterpiece in the making.:love: : When you look into the mirror today, tell yourself that you are beautiful and that today is a gift that should be opened to enjoy the benefits that await you:bigsmile: .

:happy:My goal this month will be an ongoing goal for the rest of the year. My goal is to do one thing each day to reach one of my goals whether it be weight loss or fulfilling a dream deferred. I will speak it out loud so that I can hear it, because FAITH comes by hearing.
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

On June 1st, I began MFP for the second time. During these last two months, I have lost 8 pounds. I am feeling stronger and I have more energy, I like those days when my muscles are slightly sore from exercise. :smile: I appreciate MFP friends and this motivational community of women with similar goals to be healthy and to lose (or maintain) weight. :flowerforyou:

Update on my July goals:

 Exercise 6 days a week. Done! :smile:
     Visit the gym 1 to 2 times a week. I have not made it to the gym yet. :frown:
     Increase my daily water intake. Needs improvement, most days I am up to 6 glasses.
     Record my food & exercise each day. Done! :smile:
     Keep a record of the steps on my pedometer each day. Still working on it.

August goals:

 Continue to exercise 6 days a week.
     Visit the gym!!
     Continue to increase daily water intake, goal is 8 glasses a day.
     Continue to record food and exercise each day.
     Remember my pedometer!!
     Find an exercise group.
     Swim 2 to 3 times a week.
    Have a positive attitude! :happy:

Terri, from Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,207 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I will come back later with goals and chat, but I wanted to tell you all I have lost another .5 lb. It's taken me 11 days to lose that half, but I am soooo delighted! DH has put on .5 so now I only am 1 lb heavier than him!
    Even better I have lost half an inch off my waist! That has been the same - 32 ins - for MONTHS, so the 31.5 feels wonderful!

Back later! Have to make myself beautiful for my date in Winchester!

Heather in hot and sunny Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    morning all,
    was up with the birds,but dont know if I will make it to the gym, I have so much to do today, might just get my walking in..
    I am stressing about the foot dr,But will take some deep breath's and deal with it,
    I am going to ask him to write me a script saying that because of my heel cant do pounding exercises,and maybe be able to get a discount at the Y or something to use the pool.
    Hey its worth a shot isnt it?I have forgiven myself for my slip-up yesterday and will move on today. I will pack some snacks for breakfast because I want to get over and get the bloodwork done with...
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,084 Member
    Options
    Hello Vitamin F ladies!! Marking my place for AUGUST!! My how the summer is racing along. Best wishes to one and all.

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Lin in Central Iowa