WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    well here I am,
    been running around since 6 am..
    blood work-check, podiatrist and cortisone shot:noway: -check, stop at walmart and return something,and pick up some protein powder-check,haircut-check,pick up Homer's meds at vet, and go to recycle station-check,push mow-and riding mower the lawn-check,
    Dr said ,your not working today are you? no my day off I say, he says go home stay off your foot and Ice it:laugh:
    ok...
    that is finally what I am doing now, but only for a bit, have to make dinner in a little bit..
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Happy August, ladies!!

Welcome newbies!

Mahanaibu...........I just adore your dog!

Barbie.........as always, you are simply "The Best" for doing all you do for this thread........great graphic.....

Rori..........excellent NSV in Mexico, don't ya just love it when you show up the young guns? Loved your graphic too

Michele..........I'd really lke to start bowling again; not that I was ever any good, but I did like it........

Raining off and on here............don't care----I don't have to be anywhere today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bit miffed at the scale; it gave me 4 different readings this am and nothing consistent. I celebrated being at goal a couple weeks ago; then went to 2 different drs. offices and was 3 lbs. heavier than at home in both so trying to dump a few more. My dh told me this am that "a pound or two doesn't really matter"..............guess I could go with that, I did lose what I wanted to on the scale I used all along.

OK.........looking at June/July goals:

Wear pedometer..............yes
    6,000+ steps.....................yes, most close to 10,000
    gym, tai chi, yoga..............yes, except for immediately post concussion
    squat challenge..................yes, " " " " " "
    lift an elephant...................YES!!!!! " " " " " Over 2 now!

fish 4X a week.............not even close this month
    colonoscopy................nope

So not such a great record here. Lost 2 or 4 lbs. depending on which scale reading of this am I believe; now not sure even if I'm at goal.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........
    yanniejannie
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Let's just say July was not a stellar month for me for weight loss or achieving my goals. Honestly, it made me feel better to read all the posts and know that I'm not alone. However, no excuses this month as it is time to get on with Phase !!. I've set goals with targets for the next few months and I'll do my best. I always told my kids do your best. Nobody will fault you if you're actually doing your best.
    Rori - We climbed the temple pyramid in Belize in April. I did great but my legs did get sore a couple of days later. Hope you stretched afterwards, we didn't!
    mahanalbu - congratulations on your weight loss. You are doing great! You're so right about the tracking of your food on mfp. It's like the magic secret that everyone is looking for!
    Michelle - I'm so sorry you've had flooding in your home. Are the workers checking/treating for mold? We had a flood in our offices once and it was half-way up the walls. Took a long time to get that sorted out.
    Jodios - Aloha to you. Enjoy.
    Christchild2 - Thanks for your uplifting post. You have met one of your goals because it meant a lot to me.
    anamika - welcome from India! I think you're our first member from there. We look forward to getting to know you.
    joyce - happydance for you for hitting the 40 lbs mark. That is awesome that your hard work is paying off.
    LizPlus - good for you. Take it one day at a time and be proud of yourself!
    Laura80111 - so good to hear from you again. Good luck with the house selling.

Barbie - thanks so much for getting our month off to a good start. I'm looking forward to the strength challenge. I've got the books you recommended and am reading them now. Also bought ankle weights so now all I have to do is Just Do IT!

August Goals:
    1. Log everything, everyday
    2. Exercise 3x a week( walk, water aerobics, golf)
    3. Join strength challenge and have plan in place
    4. Stay positive and don't give up

Sue in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Your daughter is a blessing. :flowerforyou: Our son is also a generous caretaker. He and his wife spent a couple of days with us on our boat trip and it was lovely to have them. We enjoy every minute we can.:heart:

Grandmallie: Good luck with your foot doctor and swimming at the Y What an excellent idea for a good workout that will not irritate your foot! :bigsmile:

Brooke: I’m impressed with your “report card.” You’ve managed to accomplish a great deal. :flowerforyou: As to those unfinished goals—nobody is perfect.:noway:

Liz from Halifax: Good for you to get out for a walk. I hope you’ll be able to do it more often. It is something I enjoy with my dog.:flowerforyou:

I’ve been doing some soul searching here and realize that my weight loss has stalled because I’ve gotten sloppy with my habits. My time exercising was disrupted by illness and I need to refocus there. I’ve also been having a little too much alcohol and not enough water. It is possible to fit quite a bit of garbage into a calorie allotment, but it isn’t productive.:frown:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

August goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 2 glasses of water daily.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I have really only had one goal for a while and it was finally achieved in July by getting a wonderful new position with the company. In the past week I have been on the dreadmill daily again and I have been logging all the meals I have been planning. While on the dreadmill I have been working out my upper body with weights. So now in August I need to get back to my ab work and more cleaning around the house to make me happy. I hate to clean but I really hate clutter and dirt. Vacation in Alaska will be a challenge but I will persevere.

Happy August all!

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    the glorious PNW
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Hello to all new comers and regulars: My July goals were to walk 30 min every day. Didn't do too bad except right after surgery. I even did fairly well on vacation. Start PT - Didn't get this done as the doctor delayed PT because of torn tendons. I get to start August 9 with phase I. Get fitbit synced with computer - Yeah! got this done. End July lighter and stronger. Well I am 3 pounds lighter but definitely not stronger with rehabbing from surgery. Still wearing the sling most of the time and only walking for exercise.

August goals: Eat a salad at least once per day.
    Continue to walk 30 minutes per day.
    Begin PT August 9.
    Finish August lighter and stronger.
    Log everything and drink more water.

Good luck to everyone on meeting their August goals. They are all sounding good. Sue in SD
  • KABH74
    KABH74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump for later. love reading your inspirational stories, just don't post much.
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies - Happy Thursday.

I need some advice from the pet-friendly experts, please. I am pet sitting a Russian blue, altered male in my home. His owner is on vacation for another 12 days. He has completely terrified my cat to the point that my cat has taken to hiding in my craft room under the counter and will not even respond when I call him to me. I have a walk-through for him from my bedroom to the craft room, so my cat has a box, his food, his water and lots of soft places to lie, but I feel so badly that he is so cowed and afraid. How can I comfort my cat? I really hate keeping the bedroom door shut, but if I let the Russian blue have access to PeeVee, he literally keeps him in the corner in fear.

I know that known of this has anything to do with our weightloss journies, but I really do need help with this. Thank you for bearing with me.

Pat

I promise that I will come back this evening and talk about the real topics of this group. Thank you.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've seen this thread but I am finding it interesting. :)
    Shereen from Michigan
  • janie12835
    Options
    Hello all & happy August! I will come back and read all the posts later; right now I want to get my August goals written down and activate that feeling of commitment and accountability:
    August Goals
    Log every day
    Find healthier food options to work into daily meals
    Exercise every day
    By end of August, do 30 minutes of vigorous exercise daily (now doing ~20)
    Keep moving all day (no excessive couch lounging!)
    All for now, thank you all for being here and being so inspiring!

Janie, Pacific NW
    3294555wkqi7f4ypr.gif
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Janie- I love the work out dogs what a riot!!!!
  • gpollis
    gpollis Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Accomplishment for July: lifting /lift heavier -lost inches but not weight

Goal for August continuing lifting& lost weight, count calories, be persistent
  • Katla49
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies - Happy Thursday.

I need some advice from the pet-friendly experts, please. I am pet sitting a Russian blue, altered male in my home. His owner is on vacation for another 12 days. He has completely terrified my cat to the point that my cat has taken to hiding in my craft room under the counter and will not even respond when I call him to me. I have a walk-through for him from my bedroom to the craft room, so my cat has a box, his food, his water and lots of soft places to lie, but I feel so badly that he is so cowed and afraid. How can I comfort my cat? I really hate keeping the bedroom door shut, but if I let the Russian blue have access to PeeVee, he literally keeps him in the corner in fear.

Cats are territorial and the Russian Blue is obviously dominant. All I can suggest is to find a way to confine HIM in a room, or pair of rooms and let your kitty roam the rest of the house in peace. I have no idea if the layout of your home allows this to be easy, but since you've carved out a space for your kitty, it seems like it might be possible.

Good luck.
  • bobjac5
    bobjac5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I started back on here today for first time in about 4 months. My 53rd birthday is on the 12th of August and I'm disgusted with myself. I weighed in at 205.2 today. I also am only 5'4". I would like to loose 50 lbs by next year's 54 birthday. ANY help I would so greatly appreciate. I am just starting today. What is a realistic goal to loose by December 31? MY daughter is getting married that day. I am in a tight fittiing sz 16 right now... Please help...
  • Katla49
    Options
    Hello, I started back on here today for first time in about 4 months. My 53rd birthday is on the 12th of August and I'm disgusted with myself. I weighed in at 205.2 today. I also am only 5'4". I would like to loose 50 lbs by next year's 54 birthday. ANY help I would so greatly appreciate. I am just starting today. What is a realistic goal to loose by December 31? MY daughter is getting married that day. I am in a tight fittiing sz 16 right now... Please help...

Let MFP set your daily goals for you. 1 to 1.5 lbs a month is a reasonable goal for women our age. When I set myself up with MFP I described myself as sedentary and let them supply my daily calorie goals. Those have gone down as my weight has gone down, but will never drop below 1200 per day. The system allows you to eat back exercise calories. I eat back only part of mine and sometimes use it to "buy" calories for a desired treat. The key to success is to log every bite honestly. My husband has been doing this with me. He doesn't exercise because of medical issues but has lost weight just by logging his food and staying within his limits. The loss is slower that way, but sill doable.

I think it is unrealistic to set weight loss goals such as I will lose 10 pounds by x date. People who do this often seem to get frustrated and give up. The weight loss process is not that predictable and you can have a gain for many reasons that are not related to how many calories you've eaten on a particular day. We have losses, and we also have plateaus when we do everything right but the weight doesn't shift. Be prepared for it and don't let yourself get discouraged. Good luck to you.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    what a day.. I am stuffed~ ate to much but tasted good.. been on my feet,now icing my foot.. got the cortisone shot, and I lived to tell the story...
    just tired... but under calorie count
  • beamteam4
    beamteam4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've seen this thread. And I joined MFP in April, and realized after reading all the comments that I haven't set goals for myself each month. I started eating healthier and excersing. Now I am going to think what goals I am going to set for myself in August.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Wow so many posts already! Amazing. I did the grocery shopping today and got nearly 6,000 steps just from that OMG. We are going to a concert tonight at the Strategic Air Command museum…their summer concert series is called “Wings, Hops, and Props” which I think is very clever (wings….hot wings served, hops….a different beer vendor each week, and props….old airplanes). The group is our favorite dance band, so I think I will have a very active evening!

Rori: what a great trip and great nsv! Good for you!

Katla: I am so glad you were able to enjoy some time on the water. I’m sure that was much needed and much appreciated!!!

Michele: I hope your water problem gets fixed soon. We are still waiting for the contractor to get to us. We sure have had our experiences with ServePro, haven’t we?

Mahanaibu: I am like you. When I first started here I thought “how is this going to help”? I had been on ediets and hated the support groups because they were all complainers and terribly co-dependent, and blamed everything under the sun for their problems except themselves. I started here because a co-worker encouraged it and I am so glad she did. Not only do the women here support you and accept you, they are positive role models. We all have our *****y days and we accept them because most of the time we are supportive and caring.

Deb: great news on the kayaking! I bet you needed the sleep!

Pat: I have been having trouble with the site too.

Lila: how funny that things like refrigerators have instruction manuals! Used to be you’d plug it in and turn the temp down and that was about it!

Joyce: you are blessed to have such a dear DD!

Terri: welcome to our group or have you been here before? Your avatar seems familiar

Heather: yay for the weight loss!

Grandmallie: let us know what the doc says!!!....later….behave and ice that foot!!!

Lin: so nice to see you again!

Anamika: welcome to our group. I think you are the first from India. Come back often!

Brooke: great goals! Awesome August it is!

Gail: so glad you were safe and sound in the storm. Must be one good protector dog LOL

Liz: good for you to conquer your fears for a bit and get out and about!

Barbie: thanks for sharing about Renny. She will be missed while she is gone. Thanks to you for keeping this thread going! I know I fall down on the produce all the time.

Tina: congrats on meeting your weight goal!

Suzy: I’d take that B+ any day!!!

Laura: nice to see you again. I’m glad you had a good trip!

Jb: I admire your canning abilities. I never could get anything to come out right. I am going to make refrigerator pickles this weekend though. I think I will shamelessly copy your “phase 2” idea if you don’t mind!

Jane: good news that your friend’s cancer has not spread. Sending prayers!

Genealace: glad you have come back!

Heather: If I lose enough weight I can stuff myself into your suitcase for your upcoming trips. They sound delightful

Yanniejannie: I ignore all the scales I get on except the “official:” weight watchers scale at work. They are all different and I
    can’t let myself get upset at that.

Sue: great goals

Robin: so glad to read your posts now that you are so happy with your new job

Pat: here is my not-expert advice from a crazy cat lady. I’d try to restrict the visiting cat instead of having yours be restricted. After all, it’s his home. He probably feels like his domain has been overtaken by some upstart! Cats do not like change. Can you spend time with just PeeVee? Even if you just sit in the room and talk to him he will know you are there. I would also get rid of whatever litter box the Russian has been using when he leaves because it will have his scent in it. You can also ask your vet if there are calming treats for cats like there are for dogs. I don’t know about that but it seems logical. Does your vet have a behaviorist in the practice or for referral? Hope that helps!

Janie: I almost laughed til I cried seeing your step-doing doggies! I bet Barbie loved them too!

Bobjak: welcome to our thread. I agree with katla when she says that setting a goal weight by such-and-such date tends to be frustrating. I would suggest you set goals for behaviors…the weight will come.

Well I need to go get a few things done before “date night”. I think I did pretty well on my July goals, so here are my August ones (I have consistently been below calorie goal, so it's not really a "goal" anymore although I will maintain that):
    Steps: 5500/day not walking, 8000/day walking for exercise
    Aerobics: 4 times a week
    Weights: twice a week
    Yoga: twice a week
    Get that water in!
    Actually get 5 servings of produce in!

Looking forward to the strength challenge! Take care all, Meg from humid Omaha
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Happy August Ladies :heart:
    Just a quick check in.
    Getting myself all ready for leaving for CO in sept to stay with DD for 3 months:flowerforyou:
    She is very excited and I have the airline seats panic behind me.
    Goal wise.welllllll...have gained and lost the same 5 pounds over the month.
    Going back for 10 more sessions of physical therapy that seemed to help a great deal.

August goals:The stubborn 5 pounds and stay gone :bigsmile:
    Add more fruits and try something new once a week.
    Be kind to someone every single day.:heart:

sending out love and positive thoughts :heart:
    Molly in very pleasant West Virginia
  • Kbryant01
    Kbryant01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I've just discovered this group and need to make this one of my daily goals! Living in New Zealand away from my wonderful family and friends in Cape Town I do feel very alone on my quest to lose all this weight I put on since I arrived here 6 years ago. But I will do it one gram at a time :-)

I too have tried MFP more than once and have always had many reasons why I stopped updating. I will now no longer beat myself up about it but every time I slip I will just start again until it becomes something that I do naturally every day.

Have a back operation pending which is making too much exercise difficult but I will make it a goal for August to do some exercise every day.

Looking forward to reading your stories so will be back tomorrow.