WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I am Linda I am in Stuart, FL. Yes I am new.

August Resolutions
    *get my ankle healed so I can go back to running
    *participate in the new strength training challenge (Too Inspired Aug '13 ~ Worth The Weight)
    *participate in the daily mini challenge
    *participate in and reach my goals in the 3,500+ calories burned challenge
    *and not grow up... lol

Thank you ladies!
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My goal for August is to lose 1lb (just think of a pound of butter and what it would feel like to have to carry it around all the time - time to put it down).

Then, when the 1lb is gone, my goal is to lose another (then I'll have put down a smallish bag of potatoes)

Then, when I've got rid of the butter and the potatoes, my goal is to lose another.

By the end of the month - I might have emptied a whole shelf in my cupboard!
  • msscn
    msscn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I am 55 years young, married with adult children and 4 very loved grandbabies. I have been heavy most of my life, but I found myself creeping back up to my all time high in June 2013. I started MFP after my dear friend and physician gently brought up my weight. I love him to pieces and he has never mentioned it, but at my last physical he dropped the bomb on me. So, as I continue this journey I am always thankful to him.

Since joining in early July, I have lost 9 pounds. I am very pleased with the loss and know there are many ups and down. For August my goal is start exercising.

It is so nice to "meet" all of you! Please feel free to "friend" me.
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Happy August everyone!

Just popping in to mark my spot. I'll post my goals tomorrow and finish reading all the posts.

Have a great night.

:heart: Sandy from Ontario
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Forgetful 50er bumping to remember to come back and read everyone's posts. :ohwell:
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi... I'm Linda.... I am a teacher... I teach all 6 -12 bands, 6 -12 choirs, 6 -12 general music... Keeps me busy when school is in session (begin Monday August 12)...I have been involved with the 7-12 marching band this week... I will turn 50 on Saturday (August 3). I have a 15 month old Grandson...so I am doing this so I cam see that baby boy grow up.

I really didn't write out my goals, but my goal was to lose weight, stay on track with my caloric intake, to workout 5 - 6 days a week....

I didn't lose weight (in fact I gained a pound :sad: , however I have lost 3/4" from my neck, 3/4" from my waist, and 1/2" from my hips :happy: ... I have stayed on track with my caloric intake, I have worked out 5 - 6 days a week and I feel so much better than I did... I was looking at pictures from 1 1/2 years ago and one from about 2 weeks ago and can see a difference... I am having people, including my daughter, tell me they can see a different, which makes me feel like what I'm doing is worth it!

My goals for August:

1) Get my schedule worked out for working (I'm a teacher) and getting that workout in.
    2) Continue my caloric intake at the level that I've been doing...and trying to eat clean!
    3) Stay happy and healthy....
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I failed on my June goals and was down due to my nerve inlammation in July and really bombed out. So my August goals will be just one single goal. Get back on the exercise band wagon. I usually sleep a lot after I am with the grand kids but on Sunday I will rent a scooter and be using it most of the day so maybe I won't be as zonked all day and can get some exercise in. I'm not back to doing 6 miles one the bike yet, still doing 4 miles but I will get there. I can't believe that at one time I was doing over 6 miles and then July game and ruined it. But we have no control over those things so I can't let it get me down. I have had to learn that these last 9 months. WOW, big lesson learned in the same length of time that a woman is pregnant. I had a baby!!!!!! I gave birth to a new me!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies. We are such a great group and welcome all the newbies. I was looking at my goals for July and do believe I did pretty well for my first time. I am working on mine for August and will get them posted tomorrow. Went to the doctor today. Had to get established with a new doctor in the clinic as mine for the last 10 years left early this year and the one they sit me up with left last month. So first thing I asked this one is if there is any chance he would be leaving in the next year. He promised no his wife is from here so plan to stay. I did like him and he was very nice and very thorough. Changed my blood work to every 6 months and started me on some cholesterol meds. I so feel like he will be a good fit.
    One of my GD's turned 5 today. When she was a baby they lived with us for several months and Addie and I used to spend hours rocking. So we went for supper. She wanted Apple Bees. I did well and ate only half of my meal. They grow up so fast. I picked up another one from school this afternoon and it reminded me why I am so glad I don't have little ones in school. Then this afternoon a lady I used to work with until she moved 120 miles away, showed up. She was in town for a funeral and we had a nice visit. So been an busy day.

Barbie- Thank you so much for keeping this thread going and bringing together such a speical group.

Joyce- Sounds like you had a full fun day with your DD. Congrates on the NSV with the smaller size. Your DD sounds like a very caring person and sounds like you did a good job rasing her.

Rori- Great NSV at the pyramids. Sounds like you do alot of traveling with your job.

Christchild2- Great inspriations. Gives me alot to think about.

Liz- Good for you for reaching out of your comfort zone. About 30 years ago I spent 2 years where I never went out my front door. My poor son was only 2 and the neighbor would come get him to come outside to play with her son. I spent alday cleaning and baking. My husband at the time would not eat anything that was not homemade. I gained alot of weight at the time as I ate everything I cooked. It was not a good time in my life. But I am better now. My DH has alot to do with that. I still do not like being around crowds, but alteast I do get out of the house on my own.

Jane- Good news about your frined. Keeping you both in my prayers.

Janie- love that dancing dogs. Made me laugh.

Meg- Hope you enjoy the concert this evening and the storms waite until you are home before they come your way. We are in warmings and so far no rain here. So humid we turned the AC back on acouple days ago.

Molly- Hope you and DD have a great 3 month visit. I would love to spend that much time with my son and his family. But he would never go for it. They live here in town so do see them often. He just tells me when I need to go to a home he is going to put in the shed in his back yard. Strange sence of humor. lol

Hope a good evening and check in tomorrow.

Blessed,
    Vicki GI NE
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: A day with long dog walks and two line dance classes leaves me no time for the computer….I read the posts and now I’m headed for bed.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    August Resolutions
    *finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard
    *participate in the new strength training challenge
    *walk 18,000 steps a day
    *act the way I want to feel
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Pat - we were lucky in that the garbage was picked up today and the garbage men took all the bags of the old carpet padding. We're supposed to be getting a call from this carpeting place here in Hickory today to get the new padding. AND IT'S RAINING AGAIN!!!!! Not as bad as before, as a matter of fact, it really came down a while ago and Vince was home and he went downstairs, nothing came in I really think that getting the water that time was a fluke.

Joyce - your daughter sounds just wonderful!

christchild - what a wonderful post!

Heather - congrats on the loss. Good things ARE worth waiting for!

grandmalle - sure hope things work out for you at the MD's and you do get that discount. You're right, the worst they can say is "no" and you're no worse off than you are right now

Warm welcome to everyone new

bopper - don't give up! Sometimes it just takes our bodies a while to catch up, but it WILL happen. You're doing everything well.

jane - what good news for your friend. Thanks for sharing it

I went to lunch with the Newcomers. Don't know what it was, but when I got home I got soo very tired that I just laid down. Maybe I'm just not used to such a big lunch. Anyway, I had this chicken salad, only instead of mayo it was made with Greek yogurt and curry. There were (supposedly, I sure didn't taste or see any) apples in it along with cranberries on naan bread. For my side I had their seasonsal veges. Unfortunately, they were sauteed so I only ate the ones on top. Just had a glass of water to drink.

yanniejannie - many times I find that my weight is also dependent on things like if I've gone to the bathroom right before weighing. Today the Wii said I was up a pound so just for jollies I weighed myself on the bathroom scale. It said that I was down .5 a pound. Go figure!!!!

Sue in TX - we were lucky in that it was just that the carpeting got wet, and even then, not all of the carpeting. But they are treating it for mold, etc. There was an article in the paper today that talked about how they've been busy and how they'll be busy in a week or two when people realize that they can't do it all themselves.

Did 1-1/4 hr of the Jari Love Extremely Ripped DVD. I had to take the DVD to the Y where they allowed me to do it. Normally, at this branch, they keep the aerobics room lu\ocked unless there is a class, but they opened it for me. Tomorrow I was planning to do some HIIT. The main branch of the Y is closed but I understand that they're going to be moving all the weight equipment upstairs which means that this branch won't be as busy (that's good). But on the other hand, with so many extra people using this branch, hopefully, the need for updated equipment will surface.

Shereen from MI - welcome! Come back often

Janie - LOVED the exercising dogs. I'm sure barbie and lots others will love them, too

bobjac - welcome! The best advice I can give you is to log ALL (every bite, every mouthful) of what you put in your mouth. That'll really help. And come back for more advice. The ladies on here will give you lots of good ideas. Congrats on your daughter's wedding. Dec. 31, huh? So she can take the tax break????? How long was she engaged for?

beateam - welcome, so glad you found us

I just realized that the guys from ServPro will be here tomorrow to check on how things are drying out and will probably take the equipment out. They're from South Carolina and are staying in a hotel. So I made some muffins for them. Actually, the recipe is for a cake but I put it into minimuffin containers. I'll probably take some to the Y with me tomorrow, too.

Meg - have fun tonight. What a cool name for the concert series! You know, I'm on one yahoo group, mainly because the gal who runs it is a real sweetheart. But the posts are constantly about how their weight is up and then they constantly post about how poorly they ate and didn't exercise. It's one thing if it happens here and there...but all the time! And they constantly blame everything else but themselves.

kbryant - welcome! Where in New Zealand are you? I have a friend in Christ Church. Check in often, that will definitely help. When is the operation? Good luck to you

Linda - welcome. I especially like your goal of not growing up!

Talking about the problem with MFP, so many times I've gone to update my menu and when I click on the "food" tab, I get a message that the site is temporarily down. Well, tonight just for the heck of it I clicked on the "add food" on the homepage, and I got to where you add the food. Now go figure!

msscn - welcome! I'm glad your friend talked you into coming to MFP.

musicteacher - welcome and happy birthday! You know, the number on the scale is just that -- a number. You're doing well, losing inches. That means so much more

Vickie - good for you getting out now. You've come so far

Michele in NC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot for August, which has to be better than July. I had a 380 day streak going and missed a day of checking in. It broke my heart almost as much as the scale this morning. But I have recommitted to logging daily and will begin a new streak today.

The mountain trip was good. My aunt with cancer got sick Friday night and spent most is Saturday napping, but she perked up around supper time and we played dominoes until midnight. A NSV for me: my cousin who is 2 years younger suggested that she would bring some of the grocery bags back down to the car so that we could split up the bottled water and carry it up the steps into the cabin. I said, "no need" and picked up the whole case, carried it up the steps into the house easily.

I walked all 3 days, straight up the mountain and back down. My sister went with me the first two times, but was too sore on Sunday. I thought I would a least have sore calves, but I didn't.

School has started back with a vengeance. Every day is packed with meetings galore. Have yet to have even an hour in my office to get it put back together. Tomorrow is delivering professional learning off site all day, and Monday is Freshman First Day, so I don't know when I'll get to do it. But I have come home and forced myself to walk the 2.8 mile circle every day, so life is good. I'm up to 400 miles from Jan to the end of July.
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for July?
    Well I ended off the month fantastic. I lost another size, even if my weight right now is a bit stagnant, or in a plateau stage. My super tight jeans from March fell off yesterday, can't wear them anymore! I don't eat junk food but love my starch (pasta/rice) so I attempted to cut back a little but that was short lived :-) I have managed to stay off sweets, since Feb.

What goals and resolutions have you set for August?
    At the end of the month I'm going on vacation with my older sister, for the first time in a very very long time, and would like to lose another 10 lbs. I visited my family back in 2006 and was about 10 lbs lighter than I am now so that would be nice (mind you I have lost 49.6 lbs in the last 5 mths). I also have tickets to workout with Shaun T. himself, yoo-hoo, so I wouldn't mind being a bit lighter so I can be a better BEAST at that workout. I already workout out 6 days a week so all I can do right now is to make workouts longer and/or cut some carbs from my meals.

I really enjoy all your posts!!

Enjoy your weekend.

Melanie
    USA NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Had a horrible day.had to go to the lawyers which is 40 miles away.Coming home the van just stopped in the middle of the street.Traffic everywhere.Praise God for a tow truck that was in the area and towed us to our mechanic.Had to get a rental car.
    God only know how much and what is wrong.It has been a real emotional day also.The lawsuit of 2 years is over and wasn`t what we had hoped for.The bills are paid and a little money left for me,sure not enough for all the pain and suffering and surgery,rehab etc I went thru.But it`s over.
    Thanks for letting me vent.
    Also haven`t been lossing wt the last several months,gaining wt.Not sure if its the thyroid problem,lack of strenous exercise,but am so ashamed.I worked so hard to loose 130 lbs.It took me 6 years.I can only exercise so much and my knee swells up from the arthritis.I feel I have left people down and esp.myself.
    I taked to the dr tonite and told him I would start tomorrow,its now or never.
    Thanks again for listening.
    HUGS
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Your comments about my DD are so heart warming. It hasn't always been this way. She was such a jewel through her elementary and middle school years. Then High school came. She immediately was in the wrong crowd. I was always very proud of both my daughters. I always brought them up to see the worth in everyone, the beauty queen and quarter back aren't going to look like they do when they are 30. Both of them befriended the underdog, the ones with lisps, bad acne, fat or to thin. Where my older daughter would always bring her friends up the younger one would eventually turn to some bad habits in finding some one or thing to accept her. We had many arguements over her choice of music. I researched and found the words of some of the rap and heavy metal music she was buying products and listening to. I gave her ultimatums. I was not going to have that music in my house. I gave her a certain date to throw it away, give it away, whatever she chose. The day came and the music was still there. So i took a pair of scissors and cut the casettes and broke the CDs. OHHHHH she was furious. She was running with this girl who was a principals daughter who just wanted to rebel because her Mom was the principal. The things those two could get into. I don't know how she got into college but she did. At the end of the freshman year her GPA was .667 and if she wanted to continue her education there she would be on probation. She chose to come home. We again gave her an ultimatum if she was going to live at home and we vowed that we would hold ourselves up and kick her out. Well she didn't do it but we didn't have the heart to kick her out.

I think she knew then that she had won the battle and cold get away with anything. I don't think she ever did drugs, or at least I am telling myself that. But I know she dated the kind of guys she did just to make us mad. She smoked. But she continued working full time, never gave us any of the money but did keep up her car. She did her own laundry so that's how life was for quite a while. Somehow we all weathered the storm and she eventually saw that her lifestyle was hurting her and her 'friends' weren't really friends. It's just that she had a car and money. So she worked it out on her own and we gradually came closer. Plus she started dating a guy that she eventually married. I have told you all a little about him. He immediately attached himself to us, mainly me, because he needed parents. So whether or not her dates were mainly here at home. We jsut got closer and closer. We didn't judge her when she moved in with him. We visited them in their home, helped outfit the home. My Mom, it broke her heart but she knew that with God's help the best way to handle it is just to love them both. so I was with her during both his Iraqi deployments, his PTSD after his 2nd one, his cheating on her. We were there to pick her up. We will never have the 'gotta talk to Mom every day' like our oldest has with us but what we have is wonderful. They never had children but she has 3 dogs that we 'love' and help her if she needs it. She was made to be an animal lover, any kind of animal and her wish has always to be a vet or at least a vet tech but can't afford to go to school and work full time to maintain her own home. OK, now you know my youngest daughter. Yes she is wonderful and I lover her. i would have loved ehr anyway but to see and go through this journey with her makes it even more special.

Joyce
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    July goals was a 800 crunch challenge. I did 850, working up from 20 daily ( 2 kinds 10each) to 60 daily (3 kinds 20 each). Crunches will now be part of my regular floor routine, that follows 30-60 min of rebounding w free-weights.

August will be my first unstructured month, due to vacation and a couple of family gatherings. I may not get to log daily and I will not be travelling with my exercise gear. I am none-the-less staying committed. A new FitBit will assist.

My overall summer goal is to find my waist. I have lost 1/2 inch and have 1 1/2 inches to go. This might be a stretch. And I think I may have been unrealistic thinking I could drop 14lbs over June-July-August. To date I have lost less than 2lbs. Its going slow, but at least its going.
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, Ladies- I am back, as I promised. I have caught up on reading the posts, and you are all doing so well!

I am sitting out in my craft room with my cat PeeVee curled up between me and the computer. He is much calmer tonight since he has been safely in my bedroom and craft room all day. I think he is glad that he hasn't had the other cat stalking him and jumping on him. Thank you for reading my panicked rant this morning and for sending good advice. Because he is calmer, I am calmer tonight.

Now, having said that I have to contradict it a little bit. I think I ate too fast tonight because I have a lump in my stomach that tells me that supper is not going to process through. It is painful when this happens, and there is nothing to do until it comes back up. (sorry) I am under count and on track with food today, but when I get food stuck I just feel like a huge failure. This too shall pass - literally and figuratively!

Bobjac- Welcome- I am sure you will find lots of support and good advice here. Just take a deep breath and start working whichever food program you choose one meal at a time. The food diary is a very valuable tool, and it really does help you become aware of choices you make about food. I look forward to getting to know you.

Grandmallie- I am glad that you are taking care of that sore foot. I know cortisone shots are not much fun, but if it gives you relief, it will be worth that momentary discomfort.

Beamteam- I am not good at writing goals, either.

KBryant- Welcome to the group! New Zealand! I have always thought that would be a destination for a vacation, but I really hate to fly, and I surely can't swim that far! I think I will just visit through the movies and books! Sorry to hear about your upcoming back surgery. I hope it is quick and easy with a swift recovery!

Linda T.- Welcome to you, too! Where is Stuart, Fl? I have a wonderful friend in Homestead, Fl- outside of Miami.

Genealace- I like your attitude! One pound at a time is a manageable step. It is also the way I do my pool laps, one at a time!

Sandy- Happy August!

OhLeita!- I love that picture!

Musicteacher4- You must teach in a small school! I taught all of the 6 - 12 general English classes! It was a challenge! I hope you have a wonderful school year. I am willing to put some money down that has this year revs up and you start running from class to class, meeting to meeting and lesson to lesson that you also loose weight as well as inches. I bet you do!

jmkmomm- Congratulations on your rebirth/birth of self! That is an awesome way to think of your last nine months' work!

Michele- I am so glad that basement didn't fill up, again. I don't understand these weather patterns this summer. It is just not normal here, where you are, or back home in MN. Something just isn't right. You are such a generous baker! Those workers are going to love you, for sure!

Katiebug- Congratulations on your NSV! I struggle with walking still, and I have lots of trouble on any size hill. It isn't that my legs and knees keep from moving, but my asthma kicks in under those conditions. I would love to go for long walks, but it just doesn't happen. I will use you as a model and keep on trying. Have a wonderful school year!

I think for August, I really have to concentrate on getting in more exercise. So that is my goal for this month- exercise 5 times a week.

Have a good evening, everyone!
    Pat
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Aloha. I've only scanned the posts and saw a couple of references to the Strength Training Challenge. I'm going to officially post it next week as its own thread but here is a sneak peek for those of you who are interested in joining. Would love any suggestions. I'll post the link to the thread next Friday (just waiting for the squat challenge to finish up).

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Strength Training Challenge

Most of us know we should strength train, but are not very good about it. This challenge is designed to help you follow a regular strength training routine, feel supported/encouraged and learn new moves to keep your workouts fun and interesting.

There are 3 parts to this challenge:
    1. Strength train 2-3 times per week (upper body, lower body and abs)
    2. Set a goal that pushes you
    3. Share and try out new moves

This challenge is designed to be flexible. So whether you are just starting out or have a regular routine this can work for you. The key is to work out all the major muscle groups at least 2 times per week:
    Upper Body: chest, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps
    Lower Body: glutes, quads, hamstrings
    Abs/core: 6 pack, obliques and transverse (deep abdominal muscles)

The goal you set for yourself is completely up to you. Maybe you want to up your weighs (e.g. move from 8 lbs. to 10 lbs. on your chest flys) or move from pushups on your knees to straight legs or hold your plank 30 seconds longer than you do now. As long as it feels like an attainable goal and gives you something to work towards is all that matters.

To keep it interesting try at least one new move a week. Post this move on the thread so that others can try it as well. For example, a squat variation could be using a kettlebell or dumb bell held lengthwise. As you squat down swing the weight down and back between your legs, then using the thrust of your legs press up to standing swinging the weight to chest height pressing your hips forward/squeezing your glutes. You can either describe it in words or if you have a link that demonstrates it (e.g. youtube or fitnessmagazine) then post the link. If everyone posts a new move once a week, we should be able to start to build a nice selection of options to try.

So to get started:
    Post your goals
    Post each time you strength train – let us know how you doing
    At least one time a week try something new and then post about it.

Helpful Hints:
    • Give a muscle group a day to recover before you train again
    • Make this work for your needs. If you only have a small amount of time you might want to break up your training such as upper body on Monday and Wednesday, lower body on Tuesday and Friday and Abs on Thursday and Saturday. Or maybe you like to get it all done at once and do a longer routine on Monday and Wednesday. Consider compound moves so you work multiple body parts in one exercise (e.g. reverse lunges with bicep curls).
    • Listen to your body. If you are just starting out your own body weight may be enough. You’ll know you are using the right weight if you feel like you can’t do another rep with good form after 8-12 total reps
    • For variety mix up low reps (8-12) using heavier weights and workouts using lighter weights for more reps (e.g. 25+) to build both strength and endurance
    • Check out strength training DVDs out of your library or try some youtube videos. If you belong to a gym take a strength training class like body pump or have a trainer work with you…all of which can help you with form and give you ideas.
    • Don’t forget that we are all here to encourage each other…so let us know if you are struggling and offer encouragement whenever you can.

So get lifting!

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thanks, Jodios
  • janie12835
    Options
    Happy Thursday evening from the cloudy Pacific Northwest. I’ve caught up with the posts now, happily. It both reassures and inspires me when I see what a community this is. Thank you all.

BTW, has anyone tried dreamfields pasta? It’s supposedly a lower carb/glycemic load option & I’m beginning to really crave some spaghetti :-b

 Barb – thank you for the beautiful Summer time graphic & doing such a wonderful job keeping this thread going. You are awesome. Can’t wait to see what the strength training challenge will be, I need to be adding that soon anyway.
     Rori – I love your Mexican NSV! Look out world, here she comes! Also enjoying your butterfly.
     Katla – so glad you enjoyed your time on the water. That’s one of the things I love about living here – so many outdoor opportunities. I would love to get into boating at some point; DH was a sea scout in Sequim (long, long ago!) & knows how to sail as well.
     Michele – how was the bowling? Yet another thing I’d like to add in sometime. DH used to do that all the time & was intimidatingly good :-D At least since I have the ball & shoes I look like I know what I’m doing until I release the ball. How nice of you to share your baked goodies.
     Gail – may I just say, WOW, about your lifting.
     mahanaibu – . Welcome! You will really enjoy this thread and group of ladies. All are very hard working, real, honest, inspiring, motivated, and encouraging. It sounds like you’ve done a fantastic job on your own – congrats on getting to overweight territory. I understand what you mean about the anxiety of job hunting – I am hunting for a teaching position & hoping being healthier will make a difference. I know the endorphin rush is really helping alleviate some of that anxiety for me.
     Deb A – good for you slicing through the water in your kayak!
     Joyce – happy that you have your daughter Michelle watching out for you. I never have to worry about how long my capris are – I am short with short legs, they’re always longer on me (snicker)
     Jodios – aloha back at you, glad the storm didn’t ruin all your vacation time. Thinking about the strength training challenge.
     christschild2 – I love what you’re saying about entering the combat zone, I will join you in saying out loud those goals I have set for myself.
     Terri – I understand the fear of the gym. As some of the ladies would say, put on your big girl panties & get there! It took me a while to go myself. Now I just put on mental blinders & walk right to the equipment I’m going to use. How flexible is your schedule? Would it help if you asked staff when it’s less busy or are you planning on doing some classes? Basically, what’s keeping you from going? Own the mental log jam & maybe then you can bust through it. Positive attitude!
     Heather – Yippee! I know how wonderful I would feel if I were only a pound heavier than my DH. And the half inch, too, go, Heather! Wonderful news about the potential tenant!
     Grandmallie – good for you forgiving yourself for one day, remember in the grand scheme of overall health and fitness it’s no big deal. You’ve picked up where you left off. I hope the podiatrist works with you. Glad you like the dogs – they made me laugh.
     Anamika – welcome to this friendly and supportive thread.
     Brooke – Two questions: First, what’s the 65 mile minimum? Second, how do you doing standing Abs? Sounds interesting, especially since I don’t like getting down on the floor (back up being troublesome).
     Liz – I like your weekly check-ins on yourself. Might have to do something like that, too.
     Tina – congratulations on your 5 lbs.!
     Laura80111 – oh, my, between quarter end, chapter 11 & house prepping you must be exhausted. Good luck with all of that!
     bopper – hello & welcome!
     jb – love your picture, I envy you your garden. Hoping to do one next year.
     Jane – wonderful news about your friend, sorry I didn’t comment sooner. I sometimes pull away when I hear the word cancer; it’s been over 10 years for me, but there’s times when it seems like yesterday. Prayers have been & continue to be sent her way.
     Debbie – lurk away, but feel free to jump in, too. Lots of helpful women here.
     Genealace – welcome back! (later) I like your pound of butter & shelf goal.
     yanniejannie – I’m with your husband on the pound or two. Colonoscopy – funny I was just thinking once DH is home I have to schedule one of those. Hoping to be lighter than the last time I had one. How about we promise each other to get ‘er done this month?
     Robin – enjoy the job. I will think of you each time I use the dreadmill, though I’m trying to switch to elliptical.
     Sue – only walking for exercise when you have a sling on sounds like a great job to me! Especially since most of July was walking as a workout for me.
     Bobjac5 – As Katla said, use MFP for daily goals & remember not to get discouraged if the weight doesn’t come off as you expect. The most important thing everyone here does/says is to accurately record every single thing you are eating each day. It is much easier if you have a food scale since we often don’t’ know what a single serving is. You don’t say how active you are and/or how much time you might have to exercise daily/weekly. This will make a difference on your goals. For example, I substitute teach K-12. I have the summer off except for trainings so I have chosen to do at least 2 workouts each day to jumpstart my fitness/weight loss.
     Meg- that sounds like a fun concert.
     Molly – your trip to DD in CO sounds wonderful.
     Kbryant01 – sending good thoughts about your back surgery. Please do come back often & don’t overdo exercise that might do more harm than good.
     Linda – hello & good luck on the goals.
     Musicteacher4 – good job on the inches lost & that so many people noticed a difference!
     jmkmomm – hold that thought, “so I can't let it get me down.”You made me laugh when you wrote you gave birth to a new you, love that!
     Vicki – sounds like a marvelous day, dr. & all.
     drkatiebug – good for you toting that case of water & even more so doing your 2.8 miles in the midst of school start up.
     Melanie – dropping down another size – wonderful NSV! Even if you’re not down that 10 lbs. by the end of the month, aren’t you smaller trading that fat for muscle?
    AUGUST GOALS
     Log every day
     Find healthier food options to work into daily meals
     Exercise every day
     By end of August, do 30 minutes of vigorous exercise daily (now doing ~20)
     Keep moving all day (no excessive couch lounging!)

Janie, Pacific NW
    3294555wkqi7f4ypr.gif
  • welshgirl53
    welshgirl53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello all - hope it is OK for me to join this post - I have not been doing anything diet wise for ages and the rot has really set in.
    Between Feb11 and Nov 11 I lost about 24 lbs, was very fit, running daily and going to gym 3 times a week, walking dog etc. This time last year I did a 10k run in under an hour and was so pleased with myself as I had only started running a year previously when I was 57.

It has all gone to pot for various reasons, some outside my control, some not. Lots of excuses, none really valid. So I have been eating too much (not badly, just too much! OK - sometimes badly as well..) drinking far too much wine, not exercising and generally moping around, probably a kind of depression. I knew I was putting on weight and eventually bought bigger clothes (because I got rid of all my loose clothes as I had no intention of needing them again - ha!) Now these are getting tighter as well, and I have been avoiding getting on the scales - I didn't need the proof. I've been unhappy with the way I Iook for ages now, but after working so hard to get back into shape a few years ago, I knew how hard it was going to be to get back there, and have felt that I couldn't do it again, because of the mood I was in.

Yesterday, I'm hoping something changed in my head, so today I am planning a fresh start. This is the first time I have logged in for a while, so my aims for August are as follows:-

1 - to get back to running with the dog for 30 mins before work Mon to Friday like I used to - at least start with doing it 3 times a week, with a longer run at weekends - I managed yesterday and today so that's a start!

2 - aim to go to gym at least 3 times a week and get my money's worth out of my gym membership which I won't cancel because the intention is always there - aim for twice a week to begin with. Actually to go once will be good...... I Iove lifting heavy weights, or at least I used to - what has happened to me?

3 - make use of the exercise equipment I have at home - kettlebells, dumbells, fitness ball etc - no excuses.

4 - take longer walks with the dog when not doing the above and avoid sitting on my backside for such long periods - I have never in my life lazed around as much as I am doing at the moment - I've turned into an absolute couch potato.

5 - stop blaming the dog for my inactivity - I have behaviour problems with her which make it pretty stressful to take her out - thought I was on top of it, but I'm not really, must work harder at it.

6 - STOP DRINKING WINE - this in turn will help enormously with weight loss, and will mean that I'll feel less sluggish in the morning and so able to run with dog before work ( I get up at 5 a.m.)

7 - portion control, portion control, portion control - enough said.

8 - No snacking

9 - If there is any time left after doing this I will start doing more jobs in the house - but maybe that will have to be planned for September - I still have the curtain material I bought 3 years ago!

Finally got on the scales this morning and my long term aim is to lose 10 kilos or 22 lbs minimum, tighten up and fit into the clothes I bought 2 years ago.

Sorry if this is long winded - it is more of a self confession as I have been in denial for too long. I have not had time to read all the previous posts as I am in work and should be working, but will try and familiarise myself with you all over the next few days.

Must log off now and get to work - at least it is Friday - yippee!

NB - what has triggered all of this - the fact that I will be 60 in a few months time, maybe going on a beach holiday and I feel like a lump. I always planned to be a slim if not sexy 60 year old, and it seemed on the cards just 18 months ago.....................!!

Jen
    Manchester UK
  • Garom21
    Garom21 Posts: 2
    Options
    Morning Ladies

Thought I would pop on to introduce myself, having just started using MFP properly, despite having joined in May this year.

I am 53 later this year and have been overweight most of my life. I broke my back 30 years ago, and have suffered lots of problems with it over the years, which has limited my movement at times. Thankfully my back is behaving itself at the moment...though I am in the process of recovering from a touch of RSI in my shoulder and wrist.

I am in the slow process of trying to shift the masses of pounds of fat I have accrued over the years. Since July 2013, I have lost 3 stones (42 pounds), the first on my own, and the other two since I started going to my local Curves gym. The past few months things have slowed up a lot, so keeping a much closer eye on what I eat will hopefully help me see what changes I need to make in my eating habits.

I haven't read many of your posts yet, but I felt I ought to make an appearance this morning, nothing like making a decision and following it through right away!!

So hello everyone, seems quite a few of you are across the pond in the US, I live in the UK, near Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire. We are all posting here as we have a similar aim to lose our excess pounds, so hopefully I will make friends here in the coming months.

Welshgirl.
    - just spotted your new post..hello!! We used to live near Manchester, both my boys were born in Macclesfield. Looks like you have made your mind up to sort out a few things in your life, good for you!

I will post my aims for August later today, but I really need to get ready before heading out to see the physio.

Back later
    Morag - Tewkesbury