WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am in after reading Barbie's post...... hope to set goals and stick to them
    Anamika from Mumbai, India
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    JULY GOALS:
    Exercise DVD 3x week 0
    65 miles minimum (Move Your *kitten* Challenge) :bigsmile: 73.75 done!
    Daily exercise of some kind :noway: 90+ weather and broken toe got in my way
    Strength training and Standing Abs every other day :bigsmile:
    Logging every day :bigsmile:
    At least 8 fruits/veggies daily :bigsmile:
    No less than 8 glasses of water each day :bigsmile:
    At least one meatless day per week :grumble: didn't get this one done
    Commit random acts of kindness :smile:
    Be agreeable :indifferent: I believe my DH would say I did not achieve this
    Daily positive affirmations :smile:
    Be kind to myself :indifferent: This is harder than it sounds
    CONTINUE TO IMPROVE MY LIFE AND HEALTH :happy:

Brooke from Colorado

“Take care of the seconds and the year will take care of itself.”
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all and welcome to everyone new -- especially Anamika from exotic Mumbai, India!!

We had quite the rain in our area of Atlanta last night. (The dog had to protect me again when it thundered, but eventually she let me go to bed and protected DH.)

Just checking in before work - hope everyone has a great day.

Gail
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Joyce:smile: Congrats on hitting the 40 gone!!!!

Heather:smile: Woo hoo on that .5 finally leaving, and the inches lost!

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: ! This is a fabulous group of wonderful supportive women, pop in a chat often!

I did not make any July goals:blushing: . Will start thinking about what I want and need to accomplish in August, and come back with goals later!

Have a fantastic day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in still soggy:cry: NC
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Dear Neighbors;
    It is August already :noway: ...it is going to be a fine day I think here.....I have to tell you..I went outside for a walk yesterday...my 1st time walking outside this year except for going to see my sister and to go out and get groceries ...I know that sounds strange... but...I have a phobia of being around people.:blushing: ...I usually go out only when necessary...my sister is necessary for me.......I am working on this..and my walk outside was my start ...
    Now..for my July goals.....* to try to lose 3lbs again ......** gained them :blushing: :sad: :embarassed:
    * to stay away fr Dairy Queen... * went 1 time..**haven't been back since
    * to post my Food Diary everyday...** did that one :happy:

Guess it is time for my August Goals
    ---* To stay away fr junk food...

....week of 4th( )
    ......week of 11th( )

......week of 18th( )

....week of 25th( ).

This way I am accountable for each week :sad:
    ...To walk outside once a week.......week of 4th ( )
    ...week of 11th ( )
    ...week of 18th ( )
    ... week of 25th ( )

I will mark off by the week ..
    That is August Goals......I wish each of you success in your goals.....Take Care :flowerforyou:

Liz fr Halifax NS (Canada)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :brokenheart: I got a personal message from Renny saying that she will not be posting for awhile. Here is what she said, "Just in case anyone is asking, I am going to leave MFP out of my life for a while, due to family circumstances. Nothing serious, just need to get a balance. Thanks for being there always. I appreciate you. Will be back. " ......so perhaps someone else will create a veggie challenge for us.

:flowerforyou: I try to live in my own veggie challenge......last week DH suggested that he could fix a meal for me----Morningstar Farms sausage, scrambled eggs, and hash browns and the first thing I asked was "where are the veggies?" When someone asks us to look at her food diary and give suggestions on why she's not losing, the first thing I look for is the veggies.

:flowerforyou: I am in awe of those of you who grow your own veggies or frequent farmers' markets, but usually the best I can do is keep my freezer stocked with bags of frozen veggies for making easy snacks or adding sides quickly to a baked chicken breast to make a healthy supper.

:bigsmile: it is exciting to see how many of you have already replied.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I am looking forward to the posting of the strength training challenge and hope you are starting to make a plan, if you don't already have one. If you have never done strength training and don't belong to a gym, there are some great books that can help you plan a program at home:

Strong Women Stay Young
    Thinner This Year
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: dogs are staring at me so I'd better get away from the computer and head out the door with them.

Barbie from NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

August Resolutions
    *finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard
    *participate in the new strength training challenge
    *walk 18,000 steps a day
    *act the way I want to feel
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    bump to find you all later! Meg
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, So many great victories this month Congrats to all who have put in such hard work it is really showing.
    Want to say thoughts and prayers going out to those in need!
    Thanks to Barbie for your wonderful posts of encouragement and help to us all, with this thread.
    Welcome to all who are new this is a great group of funny witty and loveable ladies who will help or listen whatever your need!

Goals for July went okay but I need to improve on using my kitchen scales and getting portion sizes under control
    Did well with improving steps each day and was so HOT for most of the month that water was no problem.

Will continue these goals over to August for some tweeking!

Thanks for all your posts they are helpful and very entertaining at times lol

Juanita in sudbury
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I haven't posted much in July but have read all of them! July was so busy and my mind is numb by the time I have a chance to sign on.

I did meet one of my July goals and lost 5 pounds. Sometimes that number on the scale looked like it would never move. Question - I took my measurements at the beginning of July and was wondering if anyone has a general idea of how much weight do you need to lose in order to see a change in the measurements? I haven't been doing much regulated exercise, just want I do in the course of a day.

Welcome to all of the new (or newer) people.

Congratulations to all that have continued their journey in getting healthier.

Looking forward to seeing what August will bring.

Tina in MD
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Happy August Ladies – Barbie thanks for starting the new thread.

July Resolutions – I give myself a B+ for the month, there were areas where I slipped up a bit and could have done better. I did lose 4 pounds and am now just a smidge under 150.

August Resolutions:
    Walk a minimum of 14,000 steps each day
    Run 4X each week for a minimum of 40 minutes
    T25 workouts 3-4 X a week
    Log all food and stay under calorie targets
    Limit alcohol to 2-3 X a week
    Professional Goal: Update my resume

Be well,
    Suzy
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    August Already:noway: Time is flying and I have been MIA for over two months.

Hoping all of you are doing well and keeping to your goals.

June was very busy for us as we worked to get out of town for a two week vacation the end of the month. It kills you to get all the work done so you can leave and when you get back it is overwhelming the amount of work that piles up:grumble: .

Our vacation was wonderful time in Vegas with Son #1 & DIL and then time in Southern California visiting family and friends. We spend two days at Universal Studios and did plenty of walking but I know that my intake of calories didn't equal the exercise to disolve the calories.

For the month of July it has taken me the entire month to get caught up. Never again will I plan a vacation the end of a month that is the end of a quarter, the amount of work for me is truly overwhelming. The company I work for is still struggling to get out of Chapter 11 and all that means is that I have more work than normal.

Through it all hubby & I have been prepping our house to sell (can you say stressful:wink: ). Last night we went to look at a townhome and it is giving us some food for thought. Downsizing is a challenge and I'm amazed at the amount of "stuff" we have collected in the 20 years in this house....gotta get rid of a LOT of it.

Currently we are 'dog sitting" for Son #1 & DIL while they are in Europe (London, Paris, Rome & Barcolona) It's been fun having a dog in the house again but does reinforce our decision not to replace our Peanut. He was so much a part of our lives and no other dog will be able to truly replace him, we do miss him and every now and then we slip up and call Dora , Peanut Oops:blushing:

One of my goals for months was to clean out my "craft / sitting / extra guest room and last weekend I finally did it. Cleaned out the closet and packed up a lot of it into storage boxes. It took me all day and into the night with about 30 trips up and down the stairs to the basement....better than a stair stepper:bigsmile:

For August

Stay on track with MFP
    Logging Daily
    Drining plenty of water
    Keeping the house in "ready" mode to sell
    Making better choices in food when we eat out
    Getting in 5 days a week of exercise

Have a great day all

Laura80111 in Colorado:flowerforyou:
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,

I just saw this thread and thought I would pop in if ya'all don't mind. I also post over on QVC in our Exercise forum there on a regular basis. I am 58, been exercising for 35 years on a regular basis, taught classes for 17 years and now I just workout out at home. I have a 7 year old granddaughter whom I love and adore and I am pretty much a home body.

I have been struggling in the last year to lose 10 pounds...just won't come off. I know what to do, I do it, and nothing happens, if anything I gain weight. I have done P90X, Jillian's Shred ( which I am starting again) ChaLene Extreme and several other dvd's I own along with Power walking 4 times a week for 30 minutes. I eat high protein, good fats, good grains, fruits and veggi's and drink lots of water and I still can't even lose a pound. I have logged into mfp for over 1200 days I believe it said...I know I have a some what borderline low thyroid...don't want to be on medication, ( my choice I know) so am continuing to be consistent with logging and working out.

I just wanted to say hi to all you ladies and compliment you all on your dedication and goals and say I am right there with ya in the struggles and the triumphs to push on...

Keep on keepin on kids! :smooched:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning, happy August! Love this month!

My goals for the month:
    To continue on with my "Phase 2" and lose another 3-4 lbs. I know it's going to be tough but I know I can do it! Lost 2.2 so far!
    Eat very healthy foods, allowing for an occasional dish of light ice cream. :)
    Going to the track at least 5 days a week, doing a combo of walk/jog/racewalk for as close to 60 minutes as possible.
    Continue with running the stairs and wall pushups at least 3 days a week.
    Go swimming in the river as many times as possible.
    Go camping.

Most of all, making myself a priority on the list of things I have to do every day.

Canning season has begun, the garden is giving wonderful heaps of gorgeous veggies! I'm fortunate to live in such a wonderful area where I can garden to my heart's content. The trick is taking the time to put up all of the food. If I find myself short on time, I always find someone happy to receive the extra veggies...neighbors, students, and senior centers.

Speaking of canning......it's green beans this morning. Here I go.

Have a great day!

:smile: jb in overcast Portland
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Well July feels like a bust inasmuch as weight loss, as I hit another plateau. I had tried last month upping my calories but I didn’t lose or gain so am starting this month by dropping my calories back and upping my cardio. We shall see! I’m a frustrating and stubborn 1 pound from my half-way point to my ultimate goal. :grumble: How naïve I was when I began this journey that I would lose the weight in the same amount of time it took me to gain it (9 months). :blushing: I’ve been logging daily for 7 months and am not to the half-way point, :ohwell: But I will persevere! I didn’t post much here last month but did read daily so am up to speed with everyone else’s journey highs and lows. Let’s make it an “AWESOME AUGUST”!!!!! :happy:

AUGUST GOALS:
    Minimum 2100 calories/week burned
    75 miles minimum (Move Your *kitten* Challenge)
    Daily exercise of some kind – minimum 45 minutes
    Strength training and Standing Abs every other day
    Logging every day
    At least 8 fruits/veggies daily
    No less than 8 glasses of water each day
    At least one meatless day per week
    CONTINUE TO IMPROVE MY LIFE AND HEALTH

Brooke from Colorado

“Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” :flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your prayers for my friend.The cancer hasn`t spread.It`s remaining the same,they say it`s good.She goes for more chemo.
    Have a good thurs.
    My goals-curb the night eating,exercise daily and watch my food.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Revlish
    Revlish Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Weight training challenge! I'm in. Good morning and nice meeting y'all!

Calleaghn
  • debjunebug
    Options
    I am so glad for this thread! I peek in (lurking) from time to time. All of you are so encouraging and I pray for those who make requests... I am making slow progress but I need to do better. Thanks everyone.

Debbie in Chicago
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm finally coming back - after gaining goodness knows how much, I realise (and have done so for a while) that I really need the support of friends and to be logging every day.

I adjusted my weight so today is the first day of a new month and a new strategy for me and is showing the actual numbers as they are..

I lawn bowl 3 or 4 times a week, but don't do other exercise. I am a lace-maker and am working on a portfolio of samples and completed pieces of lace which has to be finished by the 3rd week of August so it can go into the mail to be in England by Sept 7. I'm also in the middle of house renovations which haven't helped the lacemaking as I had to move out of my living room completely while the ceiling was scraped, re-plastered, rubbed down, patched, rubbed down, etc. so there is a layer of dust everywhere.

Rainy day here but we needed some, the lawn was starting to go brown, but now with the rain I'll probably have to mow it tomorrow (it will make up for no bowling tomorrow).

Genealace, in Ottawa, Ontario
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Right, back in this eve.

Can't remember my July goals, but I'm sure I kept to them!:blushing:

AUGUST:
    Lose one more pound to equal my husband's weight. (It takes me a month to lose a lb now)

Lose .5 inch off my waist. (Just lost .5 so that might be tricky, but my large waist is stopping me fitting into size 12 UK)

Check out a local school swimming pool which is closed for refurb at the moment but will be reopening in September.

Continue with 1700 cals eating, 1 hr gymming 7 days, 20 mins strength training 3 x week.

Research new and delightful clothes for when I have some money coming in from my apartment. Looks like I have a new tenant soon! Hooray!

That's it folks.

Had a great lunch with my new FF, sitting in the courtyard under an umbrella. No music, no smoking - excellent! I had 6 oysters, followed by a scallop, prosciutto, fennel and watercress salad and then a scraping of my friend's sorbet platter. I had downloaded a 20% off voucher. Good going! Then we toured the posh dress shops, but didn't buy anything. A lovely afternoon. I have so missed going window shopping with a girlfriend.

Yesterday I booked the Bath hotel, arranged my Rome insurance and booked the airport parking. Result! Now got to look in to Bath restaurants, but I think I've spotted a couple. Will ask my girlfriends if they approve first. In England any really good restaurant gets booked up weeks, maybe months ahead, but it's generally not the same in Europe, they book more last minute.

I got £42 for my dresses, which is a lot better than nothing. One went to charity. I spent £25 on my lunch.:laugh:

Thank you Barbie for keeping this wonderful thread going. Welcome to all the new posters - this group has made all the difference to me. You are all my constant companions.:flowerforyou: :love:

Liz - well done on the going out for a walk. I too don't choose to go out by myself very often.

Well, time for my 6 pm pastis. I love being able to drink one glass of alcohol a day - it really helps me not to feel deprived, and I love that it's a nice long drink with lots of water.

Bye for now, Heather UK
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy August 1st! :flowerforyou:

I can't believe it's the start of a new month already! July really flew by! I'm stress eating already today-3 tablespoons of my precious Skippy. Haven't done that in a long time! I started the new job last night. The job itself won't be bad especially since I have a strong market research background but it's a very unprofessional atmosphere. The training class is seven of us, most of which are 20 yr. olds with no filters on what comes out of their mouths. They were already asking very inappropriate questions of our supervisor, who seems like a very lovely woman, but she let them sort of run the show. :noway: I'll see how tonight goes. Be back later to post goals and I know already that I didn't do so hot on July's. Giving blood tomorrow at the blood drive being held at the chiropractor's office and looking forward to my DH meeting him next week!

Hugs to all!

Kathy in IL