Why Do People at th Gym never look around?

Options

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I only look when I see a machine open :wink:
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    Because I don't want people looking at me work out XD
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I try not to look around to much for a variety of reasons. Primarily, I am highly engaged in lifting my weights and have no desire to break that concentration. Beyond that however, I do it for the purpose of being polite. When I first stepped foot in the gym I was very self-concious of my form and of my body. Not having people looking and judging me helped me grow over the years, and I pay it forward by not looking at others who may also want some 'gym privacy'. Further, being a male in a university gym, I find it important to respect the privacy of all members (regardless of gender) who wish to workout without being ogled.

Not saying I don't ever sneak a peek, but I try not to.

^^^This^^^
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I check out everything!
  • ojhoward1959
    Options
    I am a people watcher also, i look around to admire the hard work ppl have done but not a crepper.
  • hammbone55
    Options
    I don't intentionally look at others. If they walk by me I will make eye contact and say hello, but I don't purposely look around. However, I only lift weights at home and rarely go to the gym, but when I do I always go on an elliptical or treadmill (they are way nicer than mine at home). The treadmills face windows overlooking a pool area so your back is always to everyone else. It doesn't bother me if others look, but I just don't feel comfortable looking at others - guess that's the shy side of me.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I might look around for the minute it takes me to get to my first piece of equipment at the gym ;-) after that I put the blinkers on and work out.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If I am on the treadmill I might gaze around, don't really take anything in just kinda vacant gazing. (though its really hard when the one singular hot guy in gym sits on the weight machine opposite me, then I stare at one spot, normally the handle of a piece of equipment, so I don't stare at him)

When I am on weights I don't really notice anyone.

I had 2 dudes laughing at me deadlifting the other day. It really threw me off and made me feel super uncomfy. Don't laugh at people, ever, its not nice!!
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I always look ;)
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I like to see what others are doing. Obviously not during a set as I'm concentrating but while resting.

I do this pretty much and also to see if what I need next is open.
    Normally though I check out who all is there when I get there to see if I know anyone. Since I just switched to a new gym I am curious to see how many others from my old gym are now there. I've seen about a dozen. :smile:

Mostly I stare off into space staying in my own head. Hopefully if they are in the line of my vision I hope they don't think I am staring.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I was in the gym and one of my buddies came over to me & pointed out a guy and said, "That guy keeps staring at me and smiling. If he comes on to me Im gonna knock him out" I told my buddy that if he would go to the locker room and put his shorts on right side out that the guy would probably quit smiling at him! LOL My buddy's pockets where flapping out at his sides like some bizarre set of wings! (he tried to say elephant ears, but I knew better)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I people watch, but I do a lot of things at the gym that people on here seem to find annoying, oh well. But I people watch pretty much everywhere I am, why should the gym be any different? I don't rudely stare or anything, I'm just a curious being :)
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily people watch, but I do look around. Maybe I'm taking the question too literally, but I can't imagine being anywhere and constantly telling myself "eyes down, eyes down...don't look!"

I don't check people out (for the most part), but I do see what's around me.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't look around because I don't want people looking around at me. I'm there to sweat and get a work out, not check out the view!

pretty much this. i've got music blasting in my ears, and am just kinda in the zone.

Both of these for me too. I may occasionally check out someone using a machine I've not yet used, to see how they use it, but that's all.
  • malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm usually too busy trying not to lose count.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I just focus on what I am doing, Mind and muscle focus. Music is blasting in my ears and I am just in a zone.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I try to not to stare too intently at the ladies (especially the ones who are very 'fit') but sometimes like to try to causally watch someone who looks like they know what they are doing perform an exercise so I can study their form and technique.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I go very early, no makeup and not a pretty sight! I dont wear my glasses or contacts either and pray to God that there is no one there that I know:ohwell:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I look at myself...a lot..in the mirror. Because I want my form right...but because I'm hot too. <rolls eyes> But mostly because I'm checking my form...well and I like women in yoga pants....

But I also don't want to be hit on at the gym, and my gym is a testosterone factory...

tumblr_mqrr1abgpl1rgcwu3o1_500.jpg
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    really? because judging from all the threads on MFP, everyone is at the gym looking at everyone else.