Time for us Moms! Group

Options

Replies

• CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    Faith - I agree with Kaitlyn, those days will happen. You have to focus on the good things you've done, and how much better you've felt after that. Hang in there - and we're hear for you to vent anytime.

Kaitlyn - I'm about 30 miles north of SLC. Days are still low to mid 80's, but morning and nights (when I usually work out) and getting pretty chilly. It could just be me, I swear since I've started losing weight I'm always cold, must be the loss of insulation :laugh: Good luck on your entrance exam. (Making anote that I now "know" and english teacher, will have to remember when I'm writing papers for school lol)
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is where I need to be posting or not, but I'm new to the website so I'm learning.

BOGmama2010 invited me to join and I'm super excited to have other moms to talk to who understand what I'm going through.

I just had my 2nd baby August 12, 2010 and I'm anxious to get this weight off. I weighed over 200 lbs. at delivery...we aren't sure exactly...I was in the hospital already for an infection and went into labor...but my last weigh in at 37 weeks was 199.5 lbs.! I started my pregnancy overweight (for my height) at 158. Anyway, I'm down to 173...the first 25 pounds came off really fast...I guess it was fluid. But, I noticed the scale sort of stopped at 177.

I've been focusing on pre-portioned meals lately because my husband is working nights...it's easier when I'm not cooking and helps me not to overeat. I've been trying to get at least 64 ounces of water daily which I've done pretty well in that dept. I haven't started exercising yet (unless you count chasing a 2 year old while tending to a 1 month old, exercise!)...my 6 week postpartum visit is the 23rd...hopefully I'll get the go ahead.

I've always been an athlete, but I doubt I'll be playing any organized sports until my youngest gets a little bigger. It's too hard to find a babysitter for two kids. I normally play volleyball in early winter (Jan/Feb) and softball in the spring and fall. It's just so much fun to get exercise while competing! I'm not a huge fan of the gym...it bores me to death, but 2 weeks before I got pregnant I had started the couch to 5k plan because I wanted to start running. It was awesome and I felt great! But, I wasn't able to keep it up...the first trimester has killed me both times with exhaustion.

If you've lost alot of weight after baby, please message me with advice and/or tips...I'm open to any help or suggestions! :o)

Glad you found us! I love volleyball, haven't played competitively in a very long time though. I don't get much done at the gym, I used to swim laps, but that was it. Water is going to be crucial for sure, on your log track the sodium in your foods too. It's an eye opener for sure! Focus on eating whole foods as much as you can (easier said than done with 2 little ones, I know!) and getting away from the processed foods. When you start to exercise, you will already have a leg up on the nutrition. If you are breastfeeding, don't forget that you need more calories as well and that you may not lose all the weight until you stop. :D
  • BOGmama2010
    Options
    Cori - sounds like you had fun at the park. We avoided the fair this year. It was so much later than it normally is. Hope you have fun though! Good luck on your test! I so hear you on the coordination, I lack it as well. I'm lucky I can do the Kenpo routine (punching and kicking) but looking at things like TurboKick, Turbo Jam, and Hip Hop Abs make me laugh. I don't dance!

Kaitlyn - how did the writing go? Still playing phone tag? I agree, that is amazing that they are that old and still able to live independently. I take an almost 80 year old man to church every Saturday and I think he shouldn't be living independently, but there isn't much I can say. His family is nearby and checks in on him and cleans the house and brings him food, but they don't have much patience with him. I will let you know how I like the bodybugg as time goes on. :)

Faith - well, the weight loss was certainly nice. We do slip up, but don't try find excuses for why you feel the way you do. When I start to get depressed I make a gratitude list. Things that I am thankful for, and I try to add some funny ones as well. It takes me out of my funk and helps me to be in a more positive attitude.

I got home today from work and was totally frustrated, ended up just leaving the house and going for a walk around the neighborhood for 10 minutes to cry a little and talk with God and get my head straight and decompress. It was better than snapping at my husband and kids, which I was starting to do. I have the boys with me all day during the week and even Saturday and then today I went to work for a little bit and was going to go to Target and try on some smaller jeans and instead my hubby calls and asks if I can get crickets for the gecko (the place was closing in 15 minutes) and some peanut butter. :( So, I never really got any ME time this week. I don't count work as ME time and I don't count going to church and leading the ladies in working out ME time either (I don't know why, I just don't). Just a frustrating week overall. Oh well, it will get better. I will make my gratitude list in the morning and my to-do list and be focused on my goals!
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Cori - feel free to hit me up any time! I edit all of my sister's papers who is currently in SLC going to the U. I'm more than happy to help :o) Also, I'm waiting for the day my skinny friends can stop complaining that my car is too cold in the summer. I need to lose MY insulation! haha!

Lisa - I don't count any of that stuff as ME time either. Nor should you. I remember when the baby was first born and I hadn't slept in a month, my mom suggested I take some ME time. So what did my hubby suggest? Taking a shower. Nice. Yes, we're still playing phone tag. Actually, I haven't heard from him since Friday. I thought I would give him the weekend and then call again tomorrow morning on my way to work. The essay went well. We were told our first topic before we went in, so I wrote a rough draft last night to organize my thoughts. Then we had to write about a second topic in the testing center, sort of "on the spot". I thought mine was easier than others, so I feel pretty good about it. Writing comes easily to me anyway, so I wasn't overly stressed to begin with. Taking the entrance exam on Tuesday. Worried about that one!

I'm really frustrated with my body. According to my diary, and everything that I log, when I push the green button at the bottom it always tells me that "if every day were like today you would weigh..." WAY less than I am! Like I should be losing another 10 pounds in the next 5 weeks. But I've been plateaued at the same weight for a month now. What am I missing?
  • sosodef
    Options
    I would definitely love to join this group. I have a 9 month old baby boy and cant seem to find the motivation or the energy to work out. I started the P90X program with my husband last April and was getting great results but never finished it. Now im ready to get back and start moving again. Wish me luck :wink:
  • MeganKS
    Options
    I've been having a rough weekend. I was supposed to start up Power 90 last night but the little one was really sick with a 103 degree fever, so today it's going to be double the workout with Power 90, even if I'm not really supposed to do that.

What's really been getting me down is I have so many "friends" on this website, but none of them really seem to be that supportive or motivational.

Other than that this week is going to be a brand new start on getting back into working out, even though i never really have done it before in my life. Not to mention I should be getting my school books sometime this week since I start back up on the 22nd. :)
    So EXCITED! Everything seems to be falling into place. Now to just cure my little one, and get this weight off!

Good Luck everyone! and feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    Hey All :) Welcome to Megan and Soso!

I feel like I have been out of the loop for awhile....even though it has only been a couple of days. Spent the weekend trying to make a sick baby feel better (Croup). My oldest had it about 2 weeks ago...now my baby is getting over it. Last night he actually slept through the night for the first time in a long time...and so did Mommy. Feeling so much better after a solid night of sleep!

Running has been going well...I ran on Friday doing 2 miles in 20m 7s....Really really excited about that. :bigsmile:
    Annoyed about the weight loss though! I seem to gain a full pound after exercising?! What is that about? In 2 weeks I have gained a half a pound...I lost half at one point then immediately put a full one back on. Guess it is time to ,again, reevaluate my diet and cut back somewhere.

Found a Polar HRM watch online (craigslist) and will be picking it up today...hopefully it is just as advertised! Can't wait to try it out for my run tonight!

Hope everyone has a great Monday!
  • BOGmama2010
    Options
    JP - nice time! Make sure you are drinking enough water and keeping your sodium in check! Hope the HRM is all that you hope it is!

Megan - Welcome! How old is your little one? I hate fevers like that! Hope today goes better. I really would advise not doubling up on Power 90. Follow the plan as it is, you will most likely be sore the first week and you don't want to overdo it the first day and then be ready to quit.

Hi Soso! Welcome to you too! I love P90X - so feel free to ask me any questions. Hubby and I have 4 more workouts left and then we will be done with round 2. Are you going to start it again, or try something else?

Kaitlyn - glad your essay went well. Good luck on your entrance exam. LOL a shower? Yeah, right! Thanks for backing me up. Looking forward to having some type of break soon. :D Mine shows a really low weight sometimes too. I think, "Oh, yeah!" but I don't always hit it for whatever reason. Make sure you get your water in!

Good Monday morning! I switched back to 40/40/20. LOL I missed my protein. :D 4 more days until we are done - yea! Planning on sushi, Salad Shoppe, and maybe a massage if I can fit it in our budget. Lord knows our muscles could use one.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    Lisa - I totally agree, none of those sound like "me" time to me! Hope you get some time to yoursefl to unwind and regroup - it's amazing what a difference it can make. Especially with you having the kids with you all day - you need a whole "me" day! So close to finishing up round 2 - way to go! I would definitely think a massage would be in order after that.

JP - that's an impressive time! I don't know how long you've been running, but the first thing that popped in my head is if you've kicked up the intensity of your workouts your muslces might be holding onto extra water to repair. I know if I really push it on a bike ride I'll be up the next couple days. Make sure you're getting plenty of water and give your body a rest day, you don't have to take the whole day off - but at least make sure you do something less intense so your body can catch up. Great work!

Kaitlyn - I keep track of the projections it gives me when I close out my diary, but don't put much stock in it. There are so many factors that effect weight loss, it's impossible to predict where you'll be. It might be time to change up your routine - try a few days eating more calories than your used to and then drop back down, switch up your exercise a little bit (even a different time of day can help "trick" your body). Hang in there, you're doing great - plateuas are frustrating! My last projection was 204 - now that would be nice, but not all that realistic I'm afraid :laugh:

Soso - welcome! Good job getting back to it. I think this site is completely addictive, keeps you on track for sure.

Megan - welcome to the group! Hope your little one feels better, tis the season for sick ones. I hear ya on the friends front - I've got some that aren't all that active and I never hear a peep from. I just kept adding people until I had a great group. I get a little OCD - I try and comment on most of the work my "friends" are doing, I feel like if I want support and motivation I've got to give it out. I've added you - so you'll be getting plenty from this corner :bigsmile:
  • sarahsanchez79
    Options
    Mind if I join in? I'm a mother of 5 and looking for some friends/support.
  • red1212
    red1212 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the site and could really use some support while I try to lose this excess weight.
    I am a single mom of 4 kids (ages 11, 9, 6 and 5). They are with me 50% of the time. I work as a lab tech full-time. The job, unfortunately, means working 3 weeks of afternoons and 1 week of days. On top of that, I had surgery to repair my ACL 5 weeks ago, so my ability to exercise is quite limited. As I am typing this, I realize that perhaps now isn't the best time to try to lose weight but is there ever a good time?
    Not sure how it happened, but I weigh more now than I ever have...including when I was 9 months pregnant! Changes need to be made and, like I said, I sure could use some support.
  • BOGmama2010
    Options
    Thanks Cori for the vote of support! :D

Sarah - seems like 5 is a popular number in this group. Welcome! What are your goals and how are you planning on doing it?

Red - hi! The turning point for me was when I hit my highest weight not pregnant. Yikes on having your ACL repaired. There's always something that you can do, even if it's just working on your upper body for now. Your body doesn't care where the muscles are burning calories, as long as they are burning. Definitely work on getting your nutrition right too though. When do you have the clearance to start doing low impact exercise, or do you have it already?

Love seeing new faces! Come and share and get support. That's what we're here for. :D

I'm off to go finish cooking dinner before I get another round of butt-kicking tonight by Debbie Siebers. Did I mention that I woke up sore this morning? Hasn't happened in months!
  • JPotvin
    Options
    Hi Sarah and Red! Welcome :)

Red-I had my ACL replaced in 2002...it stinks, but it WILL get better! This is the best time to lose weight, especially since you just had knee surgery! :flowerforyou:

BOG- the HRM is awesome! I was always posting fairly guess-timated calorie burns based on my activites, but it is nice to know what I am actually burning. ...And that my body likes to push my heart rate to the max...and beyond. I think the HRM beeped at me 3/4 of the time...but it's ok...just telling me to slow down. I can't wait to try it out going for a long walk with the double stroller!

Yay! My time for 2 miles is still going down (19m 20s)! When I can do it completely without stopping, I will add distance.
  • red1212
    red1212 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I went for a walk tonight. Should be able to start running on the treadmill on November 1. Thanks for the advice about your body not caring where the muscles are that are burning fat. I hadn't thought of it like that.
    Today was a good first day. Stayed within my calorie count and got the walk in. Bring on tomorrow!
  • Ferdiebirdy
    Ferdiebirdy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey girls. So i've been aweful about posting or reading lately. I am so far behind. I've been kind of down lately and not really feeling like doing anything or eating well. So I'm in a funk. Today I tore apart my bedroom. Ripped out the carpet, scraped up the old padding, pulled out the carpet tacks and took up the molding. I'm hoping to put down laminate within the next few days. I miss you guys and I'm so proud of those of you who are doing well :) I just don't feel like I have much to contribute that is positive lately. BOO ME!
  • BOGmama2010
    Options
    Heather - go you! That is awesome. It's all right, hon! We miss you, but I understand. Do what you need to do. {hugs}

Red - there you go! Sounds like it was a fabulous first day. Take it easy and listen to your doctor though. If you have hand weights, sit down and do some bicep curls and shoulder presses and tricep extensions. It will help and that muscle is so nice to have!

JP - Oh boy! Don't I know the whole overestimating thing. What do you have the target set for? I love Jillian Michael's explanation of it. You could work out for the same period of time but at different heart rates. If you work out at the lower intensity "fat burning" zone you may burn 100 calories and I think it's around 70% will be fat calories (don't quote me, my book is upstairs) or you can work out at a much higher intensity and burn 300 calories and only 30% will be fat calories. But, you will have burned 100 calories of fat compared to 70 and an additional 200 calories! I often have my heart rate at 85% of my max during the P90X cardio DVDs. Glad to hear that you love it though!

Almost at 3100 calories for the day burned according to my BB. Not as high as I thought it might be, but it broke my goal and I didn't get up and move as much today since I was sore. Overall, a pretty good day!

Have a great night, ladies. Double orthodontic appt in the morning for the twins.
  • sarahsanchez79
    Options
    Hi all! Right now my main goals are to start exercising and track my water intake...I seem to do okay with diet but by the time I get done with work and kids I'm too tired to exercise...it doesn't help that my husband works evenings so it's all on me at night!

Heather...sorry to hear you're down, I get like that quite often too so if you ever need to talk I'm here!

And for everyone else, it's nice meeting you and I hope you all have a great day!

Sarah
  • ChasTnchick
    Options
    Hey guys! Sorry I havent posted very well here lately. I have had a massive amount of school work to do along with everyday life of work and mommy hood! Hope everyone is doing well! Hello to the new peeps! Looking forward to all of us getting closer to our goals!! Good luck everyone! Talk to you soon!!
  • kcampbell453
    kcampbell453 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! So sorry I haven't been on here much lately. I've been so busy at home. My husband had to have surgery again on his ankle this past Thursday (3rd on in 8 months) so I've been playing nurse along with mommy! I've struggled the past few days with my calories, and haven't done much exercise. I seem to have done something to my knee and it keeps giving out on me, so I've been taking it a little easy. I'm starting back up with my walking routine tonight. Well I hope everyone is having a great week!!
  • JPotvin
    Options
    It's FINALLY cool enough outside to take the boys on a long walk in the mornings! Hurray! I will try to do that as frequently as I can...just to get my blood pumping for the day if nothing else!

BOG...my "max HR" is 188...I was in the mid 190's for probably 2/3 of the run. No worries though...I pushed through and will be doing all again tonight!

Feeling happier than I have in a long time...amazing what endorphins can do!