800-1,000 cal BURN

Options

Replies

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    2 years ago when i was 230lbs (and 5'2") and a beginner with a HRM, i would burn 450-500 cals in 30 mins on the elliptical. And in hindsight i was going slow, although i was giving it full effort at the time. My first c25k run (at the same time) burned about 800 cals in 45 mins and had a lot of walking in it. If i had the ability to keep it up for an hour, i expect i would have burned 1000 cals.

Now I'm a very slow 175lb distance runner. Same HRM. I burn 500-600 cals an hour on a long run. I burn about 600 cals an hour on the elliptical (doing HIIT on it). At the track, tanking it, i burn 600 max an hr. For me, I burn about 600 cals an hour- but my intensity could be better.

My hubby wore my HRM (6'0" and 230lbs) and pottered around the garden for a bit doing nothing too strenuous. *kitten* burned 1200 cals.

We're all different.

ETA- I'm not saying a HRM is right or wrong, but as a single tool of comparison it is clear that I have to work harder to burn cals now than i did before when i was a chubber.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Polar hrms are very accurate. Far more so than a simple formula. They've put years of medical research into their devices and use far more information on their high end hrms such as vo2. Gamin is also very accurate.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Polar hrms are very accurate. Far more so than a simple formula. They've put years of medical research into their devices and use far more information on their high end hrms such as vo2. Gamin is also very accurate.

Polar are designed for steady state cardio only. Intervals will affect accuracy.

Not all Garmin models base their calorie burns on heart rate.

Another great post by Azdak on HRM accuracy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories?page=1

And one from Heybales that lists the factors that affect accuracy with reference to the study
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on the type of exercise and intensity of what you are doing.. I can burn 450 cals in a 55 min pump class, but when I was 10kg heavier I used to regularly burned 550 cals at the same intensity.. even if my weights are higher now.

I have just gotten back from a 2 hour mountain bike ride where I burned 1500 calories, average heart rate during that time according to my Polar FT7 was 161 (max 188), so by the time I drag myself and my bike up hill and down dale for 25km with 600m of climbing over 2 hours, YES a burn of 1000 + calories is entirely possible, in fact I regularly hit 2000 - 3000 on longer rides.

You just need to push yourself harder for longer!!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I use my heart rate monitor for an accurate cal burn and I don't go by the numbers here. An hour on the elliptical gives me a 650-750 burn :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As others have accurately noted, burning 1,000 calories an hour, while not something that everyone can do, is hardly unusual. Nor does it really mean anything, other than a random number that our minds give extra value to. Achieving that burn has no "moral" value--by that I mean that it doesn't mean the person is more dedicated or tougher or "pushes harder" or anything like that.

Calories burned is a product of body weight X intensity. A heavy person with above average fitness or a "midweight" person who is really fit, can achieve that number. A lighter person (i.e. under 150 lbs), even one who is very fit, will find it difficult to burn 1,000 calories in an hour. They just don't have the mass.

An easy reference is the "10 X 100" level: Someone who can run a 10:00 mile and weighs 100kg will burn roughly 1000 calories in 1 hour of running. It's not a subject of debate--the data that supports this is simple and valid.

Discussion of this issue is often obfuscated by the over reliance on data from HRMs and a lack of understanding of how HRMs work. Heart rate by itself has nothing to do with calorie burn. This is further compounded by the fact that many people have a max HR that is significantly higher than the default value in their HRM. As a result, their HRMs assume they are working much harder than they are and the calorie values on the HRM are significantly--and sometimes wildly--overestimated.

Also keep in mind that it takes a *sustained* effort for the entire 60 min to burn 1000 calories in an hour. Most group exercise classes do not have a sustained intensity like this--they include warm up, cool down, and often some ab work or stretching. Because of that, it would be extremely rare for someone to actually burn 1000 calories in a 60-min class like Zumba--or anything else for that matter. That's not a knock against these activities--it's just the way the body works.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Well, I weigh about 190 pounds, so that helps. Usually when I burn a high number of calories, it's because I have been white water kayaking for 2-3 hours.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Also keep in mind that it takes a *sustained* effort for the entire 60 min to burn 1000 calories in an hour. Most group exercise classes do not have a sustained intensity like this--they include warm up, cool down, and often some ab work or stretching. Because of that, it would be extremely rare for someone to actually burn 1000 calories in a 60-min class like Zumba--or anything else for that matter. That's not a knock against these activities--it's just the way the body works.

Indeed, I'm at half marathon race pace for almost a solid hour to get over 1,000

nothing magic, just a number

the bro-science kid certainly look better with his shirt off than I do, but I can likely run faster & farther because that's what I like to do
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Not in an hour, but my BodyMedia calorie adjustment was regularly 1,000+ on days I worked at a liquor store (which I have very recently left for a new job). My job included a lot of walking and lifting, and we could only sit on lunch and breaks. This was with my MFP TDEE value at 2,400 due to being set to "Active"... I did break 4,000 for my TDEE one day (according to my BodyMedia) , which was pretty cool for a 5'4" 210 pound girl who only went to work for 8 hours and then to the gym for an hour.

PS For those thinking people are talking about a daily calorie burn, this thread is about exercise calories burned!
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just pointing out that no where in the OP does it mention that the 800 - 1000 calories is burn't in a 1 hour session.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Just pointing out that no where in the OP does it mention that the 800 - 1000 calories is burn't in a 1 hour session.

Someone did, I _think_ and thats why i mentioned it :D
  • dmanson2
    dmanson2 Posts: 134
    Options
    So the calculations are incorrect on treadmills and what not? When i started at 250lbs, i can put the treadmil at 15% incline, set the speed to 4.0MPH & i would hit 1000 around 42 mins. If i could hang in for the last 18 mins, it would be around 1300-1400 calories in that 1 hour.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I run about 4 and half miles and burn anywhere between 700 to 800 calories. I am just slightly under 200lbs.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm a big girl and I am pretty sure I would die before I ever burned 800-1000 during a workout. People who say just because you weigh more you burn crazy high numbers are delusional. At least for me that isn't true at all. I wish though!
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Factors to consider
    1. Muscles: The more muscles you have, the more calories you burn per minute.
    2. Type of Exercises: Cardio exercises burn the most calories per set amount of time vs. say Weight training.
    3. Intensity of your Exercises: Obviously, a person power walking will burn less than someone running 5 miles per hour.
    4. Amount of time Exercising: Joe Schmoe walking for 5 hours will burn more calorie than Peter that ran for just 15 minutes.
    5. Individual: A person genetically gifted to have very high metabolism can eat half a pie of pizza and still be thin as a rail while Average Anne gains a pound just eating a slice. Not everyone has the same DNA, that's why even identical twins have different fingerprints.
  • EGSanz225
    Options
    There's this website I ABSOLUTELY LOVE called fitnessblender and they have these 1000 calorie workout videos. I've done it a couple of times. I find it both challenging, dreadful and fun. I would not suggest it for beginners (nearly killed me!)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm a big girl and I am pretty sure I would die before I ever burned 800-1000 during a workout. People who say just because you weigh more you burn crazy high numbers are delusional. At least for me that isn't true at all. I wish though!

No one is saying just because you weigh more you burn crazy high numbers but weight is a factor. The more you weigh, the more calories you require. The length of time and intensity are also factors.

If a 120 lb person and a 220 lb person both run at 6 miles an hour (10 minute mile) over the same course, you will find a considerable difference in the amount of calories burned. No delusion there is real science to back it up.
  • irakrishna1
    irakrishna1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not everyday but thrice a week my schedule is:
    Morning: running 1 hour, stretching(mild Yoga) 20 min
    Night: Walk 1 hour. After my son and hubby are asleep! :P
  • Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    Options
    I burn, according to calculators, HRM, etc. about 75 or 76 calories per mile I run.

That's utterly depressing.

One serving of gummy bears is 140 calories. Jesus, I only burn off 9 gummy bears per MILE I RUN.

9 freakin' gummy bears.

Per mile.

That I RUN.

(I suppose the obvious answer is to stop eating so many gummy bears... instead, I've started training for a marathon. )