• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I love walking. Count me in. :flowerforyou:

Helps me relax and clears my head.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    IN! I like strength training, row machines, running, and lots of other stuff. But deep down, I am and will always be a Fitbit-bearing, Vibram-sole-wearing, heel-toe, walking freak. On the bright side, even if I never do a standing calf raise in my life, I'll never have those "chicken legs" some weight lifters (men and women) complain of. Walkers' calves FTW.
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    98% of my 5+ hours of exercise each week is via the Walk Away the Pounds videos. I'll mix it up with Richard Simmons and a walk in the house for the rest of the time. Tomorrow I'll be walking while my son is at a competition. One day, I hope to be able to run, assuming my knees & back can handle it, but for now, it's walking and walking videos. :drinker:

My friend lost 100 lbs last year and her only exercise has been walking for an hour each day, sometimes two hours. Makes me want to yell at my doctor who swears that "walking isn't good enough." :grumble:
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    OMG this is my thread.
    I am almost 70 years old. I am totally uncoordinated. Was always the last one chosen for sports teams. Very bookish. Had our year book had predictions about those least likely to remain physically active I'd have been top of the list. Add to that the fact that for almost a decade now I have been totally dependent on a cardiac pacemaker that does not allow me more than 130 beats per minute. Doesn't suggest any physical prowess does it?
    All that being said, I am in pretty good shape considering the mileage.
    And it is because I walk.
    Got a Fitbit 10 months ago. Have logged in 1,900 miles since then.
    I am one of the Chelsea Walkers. (I live in a complex called Chelsea Gardens.) We do about a 4 mile walk five mornings a week. On Saturdays we do 10 K...what is that? About 6 miles I think. Last summer as a special treat some of us went to the UK and did the Coast Trail in Cornwall... http://www.trek-inn.com/self-guided/cornwall.htm
    I am a total bookworm and spend half my life lying in bed reading but I do like me a walk.
    I used to walk alone. It was my way of unwinding after work each day.
    I was late in discovering the joys of a dog....Finally a companion walker.
    So for a long time it was me and my dog. Neighbours would comment. "What a well walked dog."
    In 2003 I cut my work hours and hooked up with some other women who walked each morning.
    A great social network. Others in the neighbourhood would say, "Oh, you're one of the walkers."
    Yup, that's me.
    When we moved to our present community, I saw a notice on the board saying that the Chelsea Walkers met at the front gate at 8:00 AM each Saturday. I showed up.
    Talk about an "in".
    If you're a woman and you walk with others for an hour at a time, you bond.
    I joined MFP because of my walking. I was not over weight...just at the upper end of healthy on the charts but
    I was having knee problems. Threatened with the loss of such a major part of my social life I decided to drop some weight.
    It worked.
    Still walking.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    OMG this is my thread.
    I am almost 70 years old. I am totally uncoordinated. Was always the last one chosen for sports teams. Very bookish. Had our year book had predictions about those least likely to remain physically active I'd have been top of the list. Add to that the fact that for almost a decade now I have been totally dependent on a cardiac pacemaker that does not allow me more than 130 beats per minute. Doesn't suggest any physical prowess does it?
    All that being said, I am in pretty good shape considering the mileage.
    And it is because I walk.
    Got a Fitbit 10 months ago. Have logged in 1,900 miles since then.
    I am one of the Chelsea Walkers. (I live in a complex called Chelsea Gardens.) We do about a 4 mile walk five mornings a week. On Saturdays we do 10 K...what is that? About 6 miles I think. Last summer as a special treat some of us went to the UK and did the Coast Trail in Cornwall... http://www.trek-inn.com/self-guided/cornwall.htm
    I am a total bookworm and spend half my life lying in bed reading but I do like me a walk.
    I used to walk alone. It was my way of unwinding after work each day.
    I was late in discovering the joys of a dog....Finally a companion walker.
    So for a long time it was me and my dog. Neighbours would comment. "What a well walked dog."
    In 2003 I cut my work hours and hooked up with some other women who walked each morning.
    A great social network. Others in the neighbourhood would say, "Oh, you're one of the walkers."
    Yup, that's me.
    When we moved to our present community, I saw a notice on the board saying that the Chelsea Walkers met at the front gate at 8:00 AM each Saturday. I showed up.
    Talk about an "in".
    If you're a woman and you walk with others for an hour at a time, you bond.
    I joined MFP because of my walking. I was not over weight...just at the upper end of healthy on the charts but
    I was having knee problems. Threatened with the loss of such a major part of my social life I decided to drop some weight.
    It worked.
    Still walking.

Fantastic story! Keep walking!
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love walking! (Seeing how I am NOT a runner!) I walk to and from work as much as I can. Only weather or running late keep me from doing that and I take the bus. Now that Sobeys (my grocery store) is closer to me, I walk there as well. Though I have discovered it's probably a bad idea to walk home with groceries if you bought ice cream and it's a hot summer day.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Walker here! 6-8 miles per walk, 3 or more times a week. Just love it!

ETA: some people are saying it doesn't burn many calories or its not the most effective exercise. I walk at an average speed of 3.2 miles per hour, at 125lbs for 90 mins I burn around 350 calories and get a proper sweat on. Since its the only exercise I can do effectively because of a spinal arthiritus, I make it THE most effective. Just move it people, then you'll get the true benefits from it.
  • sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just got my 250 mile badge from my fitbit. I have been active my whole adult life and have found that walking is still the best along with a toning program.
  • sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    To Hollis grant: What a wonderful post, you are an inspiration!!
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk away
    Gently down the street
    Jiggity, jiggity, jiggity jog
    Walking's still for me!

Apologies to all lovers of "Row, row, row your boat"
  • JollySnidge
    JollySnidge Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Walker all my life, and then I moved to Bath, which is basically all uphill, that's plenty exercise, not matter what anyone else says. Nowadays I walk my dog, walk my friends, walk mu family, usually cross country and up hills, over fields and through woods. Love every minute - except when I think I hear zombies. Vivid imagination, not always a plus :S
  • val1mike2
    Options
    I walk every AM for 15 to 20 minutes with my old dog....We are quite a pair...Sometimes get in a second walk later in day...Also love Leslie Sansone Tapes especially when weather is bad....KEEP WALKING
  • Pixilox
    Pixilox Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Walker here. It's my main form of exercise and I try to walk for an hour 4-5 times a week.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Meeeeee
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Recently started walking
  • katcol89
    katcol89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I walk as much as possible and my boyfriend has started joining me.
  • Bravyn
    Bravyn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I walk! I love to walk. I have a fitbit, and I walk an average of 6 miles a day.
  • missfizzi
    missfizzi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love walking, I do an hour every night, love it, put my headphones on, shut out the world and hey me time !
  • mlfrailing
    Options
    I prefer biking, but walking is a close second. We have a lot of trails around here that are very peaceful (when the mosquitos aren't out).