800-1,000 cal BURN

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it seems like "everybody is different" because we get so many varied sources of information.

There is also a difference in how hard people can work at different exercise activities--i.e. differences in fitness level.

But, there is actually not that much difference in how different people burn calories,esp for simple activities such as walking or running.

Calories burned = workload intensity X body weight.

Height, age, heart rate, fitness level, even gender make little difference. Those factors are necessary for heart rate monitors, in order to mathematically try to reduce the wide variability inherent in HRM calorie estimates, but that's just evidence of the inherent inaccuracy of HRMs--it has nothing to do with how the body works.

If 100 people run at 10:00 per mile, they are working at a workload intensity of ~10 METs. Their calorie burn per hour will be 10 METs times their body weight (in KG).

Again, people get such different results not because they are so "unique" but because the accuracy of the common sources--HRMs, data tables, Fitbits, etc--varies so widely (and because the accuracy of the set up varies widely as well).

For most people, sustained exercise intensity will fall in the range of 5-9 METs. In many cases, one could just multiply body wt (kg) times 5 and times 9 and get a calories/hour range that is as accurate as anything out there.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    People who are burning 1,000 calories per day with exercise are usually overestimating their burn. Most likely they're using a database and inputting an intensity level that they're not really at...they just think they are because they're out of shape. It's really, really, really hard to burn more than about 10 calories per minute...and that's working it and not really sustainable with long sessions of steady state cardio.

Really? I burn 1500+ a day. Not over estimating anything either, that's just average for me. It's not hard to burn it either. I'm not outta shape, in fact I'm fit. I burn 10 cals every 30 seconds when I'm doing a nice HIIT. That can be for 90 mins I do that. So that alone would give me 5400 burn. But then my HRM is always playing up & going to 00bpm so that means it's not picking up perhaps a quarter of my workout.

Even then I'll only log part of that, cause I really dont care all that much about it anymore. Between my workout & then walking all day I just don't bother logging my workout anymore.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    People who are burning 1,000 calories per day with exercise are usually overestimating their burn. Most likely they're using a database and inputting an intensity level that they're not really at...they just think they are because they're out of shape. It's really, really, really hard to burn more than about 10 calories per minute...and that's working it and not really sustainable with long sessions of steady state cardio.

I'm not really super fit anymore (compared to my 20s), and I have been metabolically tested at 16-18 cals/min--at running speeds that I could easily sustain for an hour. I am reasonably fit aerobically for my age, but hardly anything special.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You have to be pretty fit to accomplish a 800 - 1000 calorie burn. As in, you have to be able to run about 10 miles or do something requiring equivalent conditioning. If you're not there yet, be prepared to spend the entire day hiking or cycling at a lower intensity, or do 2 more intense workouts ( both an am and a pm run, for example).
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    BTW. To the person who said above 10 cal per minute is not sustainable-- that's just dead wrong. That's a pretty average steady state cardio burn for jogging for an average weight woman. A man or a heavier or more muscular woman is going to burn more simply jogging, and that's without pushing it.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm about to head out for a 2000+ calorie run. It should take me about 4 hours, since I'll be going slow. I'll also eat about 1000 calories during.
  • 21july2013
    Options
    Totally agree ... people tend to over estimate how much calories they burn ...
    but also is working out all about burning calories? what happened to good old being healthy, strong and fit :smile:
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I burn in an hour :
    Elliptical : 941,
    Zumba : 595
    Swim : 600

I do 2 hours of Cardio on an average daily.
  • antgerv
    antgerv Posts: 1
    Options
    I am training for a marathon, so when I go on a long run, I can burn well over 1000 calories. Today I will be completing an 8 mile run, which comes to about 1 hour and 28 minutes at an 11 minute pace, which is about 1150 burned, and when I go on the ridiculously long training runs, such as 16 miles, it might take almost 3 hours, but I am burning almost 2500 calories.
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For me those burns only happen when I'm in the gym for longer than and hour and fifteen minutes. Yesterday I worked out an hour and 35 minutes and got to 815 cals burned. I ran for 55 minutes and did 30 minutes of lifting and 20 minutes of serious stretching.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    They probably don't. MFP, and a lot of HRMs overestimate calories. You're very unlikely to burn more than 10 calories a minute no matter what you're doing, or how big you are.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Most of those people who say they burn 1,000+ calories are way over estimating! And doing that doesn't help you lose weight, it just gives you an excuse to eat more!! For example, at 135 pounds it takes me an entire half marathon to burn over 1,000 calories, that's 2 straight hours of running! There is no way that you can burn close to that number in less than an hour, even at 200 pounds!

There are times when I walk 3-5 miles on a treadmill and burn 800- 1000 calories, not sure how accurate those numbers are, but It doesn`t matter to me, because I don`t eat back any of my exercise calories.
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I burned 950 calories doing kickboxing this morning. It is possible. I did a 65 min. workout and my HRM calculates my calories burned.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My HRM says I burned 1950 during an 11 mile run this morning in almost exactly 2 hours, but when I plug the numbers into the running world calculator (weight, distance and time is what they use) it says something like 1500, so I think my max heart rate must be higher than 220-age that is estimated on endomondo (App that my HRM syncs with). I think if I ran my personal record pace for an hour I might be able to burn 1000 calories since I still have some weight to lose (and have short legs :p).
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've burned several thousand calories by my estimation going on a 50 mile bike ride. (and being overweight)

I go on 14-30 mile rides nearly every day.

Why wouldn't that be accurate? It took 4 and a half hours of continuous exertion. That's why I love cycling, it is something you can sustain for long periods of time and it burns a ton of calories. I just bought a road bike.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just checked my data for this year and overall I burned 108648 calories in 147hours. That would set me at about 12calories/minute. Uh... I don't think so. I'm still going to use HRM, but only to evaluate my performance, for calorie counting I go by a rule of thumb: if I'm losing, it's deficit, if I'm gaining - surplus.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just back from a 14 mile run - took 2:03 (so ~ 8:48 avg pace). I'm training for my 27th marathon.

~ 1,800 calories for those who believe in the laws of physics

342 calories for those with a PhD in broscience...
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    T
    Really dude??? You need to get real here. Look at me! Do I look like I'm overestimating my calories burnt? I'm 116 IBS and not gaining (sometimes Im losing) so I'm definitely not overerestimating jack! Just because you aren't fit enough to do it, doesn't mean people like me can't.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Just back from a 14 mile run - took 2:03 (so ~ 8:48 avg pace). I'm training for my 27th marathon.

Hahahaha... love this!!! Oh and BTW, with all of you who earned a PhD in bro science... you can check out my diary on June thee 11 where I burnt in excess of 3000 cals that day and lost about 2 pounds and wasn't able to put it on back for another 3 weeks. Oh my, I must have underestimated something... (that was sarcastically written BTW).
  • FitbitVanessa
    FitbitVanessa Posts: 37 Member
    Options

You rock!