The first time you realised you were actually over weight.

Options

Replies

• socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    when I couldnt suck my stomach in anymore and at the same time my 4 year old told me to put that thing away (meaning my stomach)when I had my stomach out cause I was hot.

oh my god i remember constantly trying to hold my stomach in! I actually got really good at it!

now i can do it a little just not to long cause i cant breath
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When i first got out of the service I went to work for a civilian contractor that was still on base. Several other guys were retired from the service so they could use the gym for life. I started going daily with a co-worker and went from good shape to great shape (for me at least. 205 with 9% BF).

At one point I decided to quit and move back to the midwest for school. There wasn't an affordable gym in town and I decided that beer went with studying better than sweat. Poor choice. I gained 40 pounds in school.

Then I moved to Iowa for my first post-college job. I spent the first year on 3rd shift. I also stopped sleeping. My house was on a busy road in a town full of bikers. I was averaging probably 3-4 hours of sleep a day. I put on 50 more pounds and developed sleep apnea. Life wasn't great. One day i kinda passed out in the kitchen. Just sorta fell over and grabbed at the counter top to keep myself up. It didn't work and the counter top came with me. My wife even tried to catch me. That didn't work either:) That is when I went for the sleep study to start fixing myself.

The day it actually "hit me" was the night my daughter was born. I knew I had been putting on weight, but I was so tired and stressed that I didn't really think about it in a conscious way. We stayed in the hospital for 2 days since my wife ended up needing a c-section. At one point I reached up onto a shelf to get a glass for my wife and realized that my "new" polo shirt rode up and exposed my belly. Kinda embarassing.

It was at that point that I went to the scale in the corner and stepped on. Holy... 297! What happened to me? In six years I had gone from working out 7 days a week (including bike rides, hiking, weights, running...3 hrs a day) to...shock and high blood pressure. I had made it to pre-diabetic without realizing a care.

I started dieting immediately, but not exercising. Lost 30 pounds before I got boored again. Little over a year later I found MFP, learned a lot and started doing things right. Lost another 50lbs, but I'm not there yet. I am, however, on my way back.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Really I knew for years, but never excepted or admitted it but funny thing is when I did admit that I was fat and had a problem there was NO going back, if I made progress or not it is and will be torment on the mind forever more.
    QFT!!
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    when I couldnt suck my stomach in anymore and at the same time my 4 year old told me to put that thing away (meaning my stomach)when I had my stomach out cause I was hot.

Kids are lovely little *kitten* aren't they. LOL. That made me crack up. But I know you were MORTIFIED.

Since I am a bigger guy, I try to dress where my stomach isn't as noticable, but this skinny woman at my office, when she walks through the door, looks dead at my stomach, and then looks at me and rolls her eyes.

It made me a little depressed and sad, but I'm doing something about it now, so I could care less of what she or anyone thinks.
    yesterday she told me(now that i lost 10 pounds) i could go the lake with her and her dad since i look okay in my swimsuite she is something else let me tell you
  • JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was at work and we were discussing what type of Macaroni and Cheese we liked....one guy comments and says, "Justin probably puts candy n' *kitten* in his macaroni...." :cry:

After losing 50 lbs I actually thanked him for, well.....being a jerk. But it helped me open my eyes.
  • loritaheale
    Options
    I'm sorry, my replies aren't posting under the comment I am replying too.

Good for you Penelope!! Getting rid of your fat clothes is fantastic!
  • loritaheale
    Options
    I'm sorry, my replies are not posting under the topic I am replying too.

wow!
  • loritaheale
    Options
    I'm new to this forum. How do you get your replies under the post you are replying too? Thanks

Yikes! Out of the mouth of babes!
  • loritaheale
    Options
    Oh my goodness! That would do it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me, it was when I went to the movies with the family and I was uncomfortable the whole time, "squeezed" into the seat. I had never felt so uncomfortable in what are actually very roomy theater seats. It was when I saw the link for MFP posted on Facebook, about a week later, that I decided to do something about it.
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've always realized, but according to all of my family members, "I carry it well".

Well cut to summer of last year, I went to Israel for a study abroad trip and when everyone was getting hit on BESIDES me, I figured oh well, I'm not their type. I saw pictures from that trip and god...I don't think I would've been anyone's type. I was large and not in charge and dressed in the biggest clothes possible to hide my weight that was slowly getting to 200.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    3rd grade Christmas pageant. My mom was in the dressing room with me, getting me ready and she told me that I was starting to look "too much like her," which, I knew meant that I was fat because that was what she complained about every day to us kids.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    We went on holidays to Spain, first day there we headed down the beach. Coming from Irleand and having not been away the previous year I wasn;t exactly tanned

So got the sun cream on, and got to sun bathing, and half fell asleep

When I woke up there was a team from the local zoo, hosing me down and a construction crew trying to get a harness under me so the crane could get me back into the water
  • caramelcorn18
    Options
    I was 14 and had to wear a maternity bathing suit.
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    I was at a Christmas party and my cousin took a picture of me coming down the stairs. I looked at the picture afterwards and all the sudden it hit me "Wow, I've gained a ton of weight!" Previous to that I knew I was gaining weight, but it didn't really hit me as far as how much my looks had changed. I got my butt in gear pretty much immediately after. I started a fitness challenge with friends that January and I've been going ever since!
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    I use to travel for work and as a result ate out constantly. I was already a little overweight but had convinced myself that I carried my weight well and didn't look as fat as I was. Then one night in my hotel room I was lounging on the bed and looked away from the TV to the full length mirror that happened to be right next to the bed and i saw my huge double chin and my fat belly just hanging out for the world to see. That was 5 years ago. I weighed 280 pounds. I joined weight watchers and never looked back. I'm down 70 pounds since then. I will never look like that again.
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We went on holidays to Spain, first day there we headed down the beach. Coming from Irleand and having not been away the previous year I wasn;t exactly tanned

So got the sun cream on, and got to sun bathing, and half fell asleep

When I woke up there was a team from the local zoo, hosing me down and a construction crew trying to get a harness under me so the crane could get me back into the water

:laugh: Thank you for helping me laugh at this. That was fantastic.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ^^^^^
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I use to travel for work and as a result ate out constantly. I was already a little overweight but had convinced myself that I carried my weight well and didn't look as fat as I was. Then one night in my hotel room I was lounging on the bed and looked away from the TV to the full length mirror that happened to be right next to the bed and i saw my huge double chin and my fat belly just hanging out for the world to see. That was 5 years ago. I weighed 280 pounds. I joined weight watchers and never looked back. I'm down 70 pounds since then. I will never look like that again.

I remember the convincing yourself you carry it well thoughts!!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Last spring. I couldn't zip up size 16 pants, and would have to go to plus sizes first time in my life. My face on pics was really fat and i was smiling on the pic. It was so ironic. Plus I couldn't run a lap whereas before I could run miles. It was the worst feeling ever. For the first time in my life I got so mad at myself and I wanted to make lifestyle change for me. I was angry I fed my body whatever and I cut off all sweets and fast food immediately, other than that I let myself eat because I have no will power at all for diets. I slowly ate less and less throughout the year around 1500 cals range, I began feeling proud of myself.

The posts above me are hillarious... This has got to be the most entertaining topic ??