Went to a Registered Dietician. WOW!

Replies

• toofatandy
    toofatandy Posts: 74 Member
    One thing my Father told me when I was a little boy. Free advice is too cheap.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    The best thing you can do for your weight, blood pressure and diabetes risk factor is to eat a ton of vegetables and lean protein. Egg whites, low fat dairy and VERY little (if any) carbs in the form of bread, pasta and rice.

As a side note....my mom was diabetic and when in the hospital she was visited daily by a registered dietitian. She basically had all carbs on her plate and they didn't see a problem with it. Big disconnect there.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    My doctor referred me to a nutritionist, and she told me the opposite. She told me to eat as much protein and veggies as I want, but to limit my carbs (fruit, dairy and grains) to no more than 2 per meal. I'm not diabetic and I don't have high blood pressure. Although my nutritionist is very thin, she's pre-diabetic, and believes it's because of all of the grains and fruit she ate when she was younger (she was a vegan). Does that skew her advice? Probably. She gave me some literature that supports her advice. If I can find it, I'll post it.

There is a difference between an RD and a nutritionist. RD's go to university and must be registered. There is no regulation or requirements for a nutritionist.

That's because nutritionists are higher up in the medical hierarchy than RDs ... It's like the difference between an Exercise Physiologist and a Certified Personal Trainer (one needs to get certified, where as the other's schooling and degree are proof enough of their abilities)...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    My doctor referred me to a nutritionist, and she told me the opposite. She told me to eat as much protein and veggies as I want, but to limit my carbs (fruit, dairy and grains) to no more than 2 per meal. I'm not diabetic and I don't have high blood pressure. Although my nutritionist is very thin, she's pre-diabetic, and believes it's because of all of the grains and fruit she ate when she was younger (she was a vegan). Does that skew her advice? Probably. She gave me some literature that supports her advice. If I can find it, I'll post it.

There is a difference between an RD and a nutritionist. RD's go to university and must be registered. There is no regulation or requirements for a nutritionist.

That's because nutritionists are higher up in the medical hierarchy than RDs ... It's like the difference between an Exercise Physiologist and a Certified Personal Trainer (one needs to get certified, where as the other's schooling and degree are proof enough of their abilities)...

I think you have the backwards. Here, and from what I understand in the US (and UK according to a post here), RD's require a university education and have to be certified. Anyone can be a nutritionist. They may take a course, but there is no certification requirements. I can call myself a nutritionist from the info I glean from this board or an online course (there may be more extensive courses). I cannot be a registered dietician. Nutritionists are not higher up.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Just my two cents... registered dieticians are very similar to every other professional in the medical world. Their opinions/ "professional advice" will swing greatly between them. From what I have experienced, that diet seems like a very typical, standard "american heart healthy" diet. I, personally, strongly disagree with it. However, I wouldn't consider that nutritionist to be a quack based on that advice. Just a "this is what my textbooks told me so this is what I am going to regurgitate" piece of advice.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    My friend is a dietician--recently finished grad school for it. We have a friend with a severe eating disorder, but my dietician friend said that she's not trained to deal with that. She explained that she's pretty much trained for things like diabetes. She works at a hospital and makes sure patients are on reasonable meal plans per their medical conditions. She's pretty up front about not being a nutritionist in terms of knowing about different types of diets like pale, vegan, etc. I'm not sure who it really makes sense to go to for "expert" advice when we don't know who's really trained and everyone has their own bias. It's almost like you just have to either go with a balance or pick your plan and believe the people who espouse it.
    This. I appreciate a dietician like your friend...many are not up front about their lack of knowledge in some areas.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Just my two cents... registered dieticians are very similar to every other professional in the medical world. Their opinions/ "professional advice" will swing greatly between them. From what I have experienced, that diet seems like a very typical, standard "american heart healthy" diet. I, personally, strongly disagree with it. However, I wouldn't consider that nutritionist to be a quack based on that advice. Just a "this is what my textbooks told me so this is what I am going to regurgitate" piece of advice.
    And while I may go to a professional for an opinion..that's all it is. A degree, schooling, and a coat do not necessarily make a knowledgeable professional in any area sadly. Many health professionals are the regurgitating type and it gets very frustrating at times.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

I think you have the backwards. Here, and from what I understand in the US (and UK according to a post here), RD's require a university education and have to be certified. Anyone can be a nutritionist. They may take a course, but there is no certification requirements. I can call myself a nutritionist from the info I glean from this board or an online course (there may be more extensive courses). I cannot be a registered dietician. Nutritionists are not higher up.

When did a 4-8 week online course to get certified trump a 4 year degree majoring in Nutrition and such? Dafuq?
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    I didn't read all the replies, but one thing that struck me is maybe she wanted to increase your carb intake so you'd eat more foods that are heart-healthy like lentils and beans and bananas.

My mom had high blood pressure and super high cholesterol (over 350, partly poor diet and partly genetic) and I read that eating a serving of lentils or a serving of beans once a week (from a Christina Pirello macrobiotics cookbook, so I assume it's true but don't have any scientific backing) would lower cholesterol. I had her stop doing the low-carb thing, and started making sure she had lentils twice a week and some sort of bean dish four times a week, and her numbers got way better, higher HDL, lower LDL, and an overall decrease in cholesterol and blood pressure.

Did the dietician give you a sample meal plan or a list of foods to eat? Did you ask for reasons why she wanted your macros like that?
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    If you use eggs/egg whites as your protein source I don't think it sounds bad.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    My mom, who has had diabetes all of her life (atypical Type 1) was sent to a diabetes clinic about 10 years ago. The advice she was given helped her GAIN 25 POUNDS and did nada towards controlling her sugars. She has never been back, but since then has lost the weight and her glucose is under control and has been ever since. She only went to that clinic because she started seeing a new doctor who wanted her to go.

In other words, I have personal reasons to not trust "dieticians" and especially ones who work with diabetics. My mom joined MFP and has been doing workouts at home quite successfully, and her doctor is pleased with her results.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    OP I am a type 2 diabetic (diagnosed in 2009) @ 560 lbs. My Endo dr. set me up with a Dietician and the game plan was for her to set my caloric intake and macros and my endo dr. wrote me a script for aquatic therapy to get me exercising. I could not walk back then so he wanted me in the pool to use water displacement to allow me to stand long enough to exercise... My dietician set my macros at 45% carbs, 30% Protein, and 25% Fats, she said to concentrate on my carb intake first because our goal was to fuel my exercise, lose the weight, and reduce my diabetes through diet and exercise.... I was on Glipizide for a few short months because as I exercised and started eating better my weight loss kicked in to high gear and my A1c's started dropping fast... Not all diabetics can do a higher carb diet but not all diabetic have to do low carb either... I have lost over 300 lbs. and my exercise is now 6 days a week and my A1c have been averaging 5.3 the past 2 years.... and over the course of the last 2 years my dietician has increased my carb intake... Today I am eating in maintenance at 4000 calories a day and my macros are 50% Carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fats....... which relates to me eating over 400 grams of Carbs a day..... So I am speaking in terms of myself but Carbs are not the enemy even to some diabetics....... Best of Luck
  • I have no clue about the macros the dietician gave you, but I have to ask if you've been taking a fish oil supplement or if one has been suggested by your dr.? I've been reading a lot of literature about the huge benefits of fish oil/essential fats on the heart and blood pressure (and about a million other things). Good luck to you!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    OP if you are unsure, can't you get a 2nd opinion from another Registered Dietitian?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    This is the current science and research and based off of recommendations for the American Diabetes Association.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    wait are you a diabetic or just got a referral for hypertension?
  • barc0040
    barc0040 Posts: 4 Member
    Many foods/sweets that people have traditionally labeled as carbs are really fats (cookies, potato chips). Good carbs (fruits, veggies , whole grains, legumes) are great, especially for those with diabetes or high blood pressure concerns! To provide an extreme example, many of the nations with the lowest obesity and diabetes risks eat diets of 70+% carbs.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    No diabetes yet, but have had borderling hypertension since I was 15 i'm now 42. Was put on high blood pressure meds about a month ago
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    Many foods/sweets that people have traditionally labeled as carbs are really fats (cookies, potato chips). Good carbs (fruits, veggies , whole grains, legumes) are great, especially for those with diabetes or high blood pressure concerns! To provide an extreme example, many of the nations with the lowest obesity and diabetes risks eat diets of 70+% carbs.
    They also have a different lifestyle and consume fewer calories.
  • I also see a RD at a diabetic clinic. I was having major problems with my eating (to much, to little, wrong items, emotional eating), and because of that I was not seeing any weight loss. She was, and still is, really helpful! I used to see her monthly (for about a year) and now see her 4 times a year. With her guidance I have lost 20+ pounds and have not gained ANYTHING back!

I like others was very confused by what I was told. I always though that carbs where from grains and starchy veggies. Once she explained the different types of carbs it made a lot more since to me.

My advice?
    -Ask for clarification! With the scientific information to back it up
    -Ask a lot of questions
    -Make sure you are both on the same pages as to what a potion is
    -Take your food journal for them to see (mine requires it, but not all do!)
    -Give it sometime, I saw no results in the first two months but now can see and feel the differences
    -Do not lie, they want to help