In search of kale ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Try this one? I don't know what your dietary preferences are so if something is here that you wouldn't eat feel free to disgrard
    http://paleopot.com/2013/02/one-pot-chorizo-and-kale-soup/
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/kale-carrot-and-avocado-salad

one of my favorite kale salads. lots of massaging involved. it really breaks it down.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Sausage and Kale soup
    1 lb sausage (italian, pork.... whatever)
    1 onion (chopped)
    A few slices of bacon (chopped) --optional--
    1 clove garlic (chopped)
    10 - 12 cups broth (made with boullon is fine)
    1 lb potatoes (sliced in bits, chunks, slices... whatever)
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 bunch kale leaves (chopped)
    salt, pepper, oregano, thyme (all to taste)

brown sausage, bacon, garlic, and some onion
    add broth and boil
    add potatoes and cook until tender
    mush potatoes a bit
    add spices to taste
    add kale and heat through
    add cream and heat through

Adapted from Olive Garden. Love this soup!!! The Kale in it is great!
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump~ love kale
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Throw kale in the blender with coconut oil, quinoa, flaxseed, chia, frozen fruit, vegan protein powder, unsweetened almond (and/or coconut milk), and a tiny splash of fruit juice and you have an amazing KALE smoothie. Or make the (All HAIL) KALE salad (love it with raspberry vinaigrette), the champion salad in my book! Wow, so many kale recipes in one thread. Going to have to check them all! :)

P.S. KALE MARGARITA recipe (from The overnight diet book):

Protein: 1 scoop protein powder
    2-3 cups destemmed & chopped kale
    2 cups peeled & cubed mango
    1.5 cups prepared margarita mix
    1/2 cup coconut water
    1 cup ice

Really want to try this recipe but keep forgetting to buy mangoes:(
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My wife and I eat white beans, with kale and Italian sausage, mixed together with a bit of red pepper, VERY OFTEN BECAUSE IT IS SO GOOD! You can google for recipes for white bean/kale/sausage stew. Or, just kinda wing it like we do. We stir fry the kale in oil oil until it is soft; Then add the beans (canned) and the pre-cooked sausage. Season it with red pepper and parmesan cheese. Trust me. This is to die for.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I eat it just about every week... Usually raw, shredded, in a giant salad. Love the stuff. I made kale chips once but they go limp the next day.
  • 84woolf
    84woolf Posts: 153
    Options
    Lemon, Lemon, Lemon!!!!!!!!!! I just steam or sauté (plain) & squeeze fresh lemon over. Kills any bitterness + makes it super delicious!
  • Soadrokr
    Soadrokr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I work at a grocery store where we have a few very popular kale salads. Our most popular is kale with pine nuts and cranberries topped with a little olive oil and lemon juice.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Massage the leaves, remove the stems, rough chop for a salad. Add dried cranberries, walnuts and shaved parmesan cheese. Toss with a citrus vinaigrette (I like lemon on this salad). Delicious!

Massage the leaves?

Yes, i only serve it this way in a salad...as do most current high end foodie restaurants. I like it massaged with olice oil balsamic vinegarette and avocado and nuts and parmesan. Also, unlike with other salads where u toss the dressing last minute, you should dress it at least a few hours in advance. I personally think it tastes netter the next day.

I also eat kale for breakfast with an egg frittata and in lieu of spinach with eggs florentine.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Throw kale in the blender with coconut oil, quinoa, flaxseed, chia, frozen fruit, vegan protein powder, unsweetened almond (and/or coconut milk), and a tiny splash of fruit juice and you have an amazing KALE smoothie. Or make the (All HAIL) KALE salad (love it with raspberry vinaigrette), the champion salad in my book! Wow, so many kale recipes in one thread. Going to have to check them all! :)

P.S. KALE MARGARITA recipe (from The overnight diet book):

Protein: 1 scoop protein powder
    2-3 cups destemmed & chopped kale
    2 cups peeled & cubed mango
    1.5 cups prepared margarita mix
    1/2 cup coconut water
    1 cup ice

Really want to try this recipe but keep forgetting to buy mangoes:(

Hmmm, me no drink margaritas with no tequilla. :tongue:
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Steam it in lemon juice and olive oil. Refrigerate the leftovers.
    A lady at our local grocery store told me she shreds the leftovers in a chopper and adds them to mashed potatoes. She said that her grandchildren visit and ask her for her " green potatoes". :)
  • sdonovan4
    sdonovan4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of kale so i juice it with apples