my fitness pal vs lap band

Options
13»

Replies

• lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Its most likely beneficial to do both. As both MFP and the lapband are TOOLS to get towards your end goal. Neither one is going to be the "be all and end all" to your weight loss ... they are simply stepping stones to help you put the work in for your ultimate goal. In my opinion, a persons mind and perseverance will bring them to their weight loss goals ... everything else are tools to help get you there! Goodluck with the surgery and I hope it helps bring you to your ultimate goal!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with having the surgery BUT BEFORE you commit and schedule it-I would stat counting your calories, exercising and if you can commit to that-then you are ahead of the game, since having the surgery doesn't simply mean you will lose weight and keep if off if you don't change your lifestyle. Then perhaps the surgery would benefit you
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    You need to make your own decision, but let me tell you a story.

My sister had Lap-Band six years ago. She had good insurance, so the procedure cost her very little out-of-pocket. She lived near NYC and had a great surgeon. She never lost any weight. She had it emptied for her first pregnancy and didn't refill until after her second baby was born (still no real weight loss). Within three months of her refill after baby #2 (5 years after surgery), she was having issues and had it emptied temporarily until she could have a little more put in later. She ended up never having it refilled and used MFP to log her food and exercise. (Note that she had to jump through a million hoops just to find a doctor to help her, since she doesn't live near NYC anymore, and most doctors won't take on bariatric patients who had surgery with another doctor.)

She realized that she used the band as a crutch and not a tool, and when she did the latter, she didn't even need the band.

A year and 90ish lbs (lost) later, she decided she wanted the band removed because it was visible and palpable on her smaller belly. Surgery where we live would have been about $20K (NYC was more), and insurance didn't cover it. Thus she decided to just live with it. A few months later she started having issues where she couldn't even keep down small amounts of water, so she went to the doctor. It turns out her band had slipped, and she had to have emergency surgery to move it (she just had it removed instead). Her surgeon told her he had another patient have this happen but refuse surgery, and that patient died. So this could have been deadly had she not gotten medical attention. Thankfully insurance covered it because it was necessary to save her life. It was good because she got it removed and paid for by insurance, but it was no fun because it was not on her terms. It was the middle of the week, she missed work, I had to go retrieve her car at the hospital, and her husband and I had to pick up the slack to care for their young kids.

It turns out that her specific band had been recalled and is no longer used in surgeries. Like lots of medical devices, they improve over time, and sometimes the ones used in you break down over time.

Point being, for her it was very problematic. She told me she wished she'd never gotten it.

For some people, it's great if used as a tool and not a crutch, but for others it can be done using MFP without surgery. I'd give MFP a fair shot before doing something (almost) irreversible - but that's just my opinion.
  • GoinToKickThis
    GoinToKickThis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had that same question and I knew in my heart surgery wasn't for me. The only surgery I want now is skin removal after I kiss this fat good bye.. : ) Just follow your heart. Only you know whats right for you.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I probably should loose around 90lbs , I'm tall and carry my weight really well but that doesn't change the fact that I'm still in need of some intervention.. After reading all the success stories I cant help but to think maybe I can do this .. really has me thinking

I whole heartedly agree that any surgery isn't something to jump into. If you are having hesitations, why not just start really putting effort into changing your lifestyle (since with surgery you're going to have to anyway). Then if you find you are successful with that alone, no surgery needed. If you give it enough time and still feel like you need the procedure then go for it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I probably should loose around 90lbs , I'm tall and carry my weight really well but that doesn't change the fact that I'm still in need of some intervention.. After reading all the success stories I cant help but to think maybe I can do this .. really has me thinking
    YES! You could do it this way! How about giving it a year: giving the MFP way a good try and then after 365 days of honest logging and eating at a sensible and sustainable calorie deficit, and see what happens? I lost 86 lbs so far, just with eating at a deficit and being more active. And there are so many great success stories on here! I vote for give it a chance, It REALLY does work!

Edited to add, 86lbs on here, since October 1st: 114lbs now in total, so I started with more to lose than you, so I definitely know it is do-able this way.
  • JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    Lap band surgery has a much lower success rate than gastric by-pass. You are wrong, the numbers for both are going through the roof, bypass is still a very common weight loss surgery. I have had both and I'm a RN. I really regret not having the bypass first but that is me and I would never presume to tell someone else what is the right choice for them. She needs to talk to her doctor and if she is really having second thoughts delay the surgery until she is sure.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I really hate that phrase "If I can do it you can." I AM NOT YOU! You don't know my story, my struggles, none of that...I just wish people would quit using themselves as the barometer for weight loss. You did it-great. You did it your way...let me do it my way. /end rant

Calm down! All I was saying is that I was in a very bad place health wise (like many here), I went through a large amount of struggle to lose weight (like many here) and that through perseverance, hard work, and determination I am proving to myself that I can succeed (like many here). It takes gumption and gusto to do big things. I would hope that most here will develop that and be able to accomplish their goals.

No we don't know each others personal lives unless divulged to us. However I have many things standing in my way (medical issues which deem weight loss very difficult unless with medical intervention) I however have lost the weight I have ON MY OWN without modern medicine.

Honestly I do believe a lot of "if I can you can" because its stands true for most people. However - this is incredibly offtopic for this thread.

As I stated before - I would first try MFP (for free) than jump into surgery.
    If you later decide you still want surgery - then so be it. But personally I don't have money to spend when not needed/necessary - so I would try my free options first
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it [without the band], it may take more time but its totally worth it!
  • EAPTX
    EAPTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of groups and threads on here that you might want to read a bit. The success stories area is really encouraging. So is the 100+ lbs to lose without surgery group. There is also a group for people who HAVE had the surgery. If you read those a bit, it will give you a much better idea of the real-life pros and cons than you can get either from someone hoping to sell you on the surgery or from someone adamantly opposed to any surgery. Good luck! 90 lbs is quite doable here, BTW.
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had the lap band in Sept 2010. I have lost 119 lbs and continue to lose weight. I know I may not be typical but it is still happening for me. I am losing weight extremely slowly, 1 pound or so a month (but it's loss not gain).

I wouldn't consider reversing the procedure, and I would have it again in a heartbeat. Here's why.

It's a tool. It does not fix the problem. You still have to work and make the good choices. I could eat ice cream all day and I wouldn't have lost a pound. The benefit for me is that it is a physical stop to my inability to change my mental outlook. I had lost lots of weight a few times only to gain it and often more back. This is the first time I have managed to maintain weight loss for more than a year (or even continue to lose for more than 1 year). Even 3 years out I still have the desire for large portions and when I eat I take more than I can manage. I rarely finish a plate anymore because the band stops me. If I didn't have the physical restriction my mental need for satisfaction would get the better of my sense.

As for complications, looking through the meta analysis, and other medical research significant complications requiring removal of the band are very small. I know people who have consulted with doctors who discourage the band who say about 75% of them need to be removed. The surgeon who did mine has been doing this surgery for over 5 years, and has only had to remove 1 band in that time. He places about 3-5 a week. There were some technical things in terms of where the band was placed and how it was secured and etc that have reduced the incidence of needing removal which has improved the surgery. Of the bariatric surgeries it is still the one with the least severe complications. The fill/unfill is to me a blessing because it is adjustable. With the others you get what you get, and if you mess up and stretch it you have no place to go. I have been very stable with my band and haven't needed an adjustment in over a year.

I have seen people who have had the band, sleeve, and bypass. Some lost their weight, a few didn't. Some stalled after a year or so and stabilized there (not necessarily at goal). Some have lost tons, and regained it. My biggest reasoning for not considering the bypass (but I did consider the sleeve) is the malnutrition component that you end up with. People complain of hair falling out, they have a greyish look to them, and other external physical signs that you don't get with the restriction only surgeries. If you look at bariatric surgery as a tool and use the support, and community it can be a good thing.

Statistics on maintaining weight loss through non-surgical means shows less than 5% maintain that weight loss for multiple years. Statistics on bariatric surgery are higher, but I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head.

Those are my thoughts and experiences. Hopefully you can use that information to make the best decision for you. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Vicki
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would recommend trying this site first and foremost. I'm not an expert nor have I ever had or considered a lap band. However, I would like to bring up the fact that this would require surgery. Any surgery comes with risks and complications. I just had surgery a few months ago - not fun. Additionally, the lap band, itself, seems to come with its own set of risks and complications. I wouldn't call this high-risk, but it's definitely a lot riskier than cutting calories.

I won't say that you shouldn't get a lap band ever. However, I'd like to urge you to try this site before you go under the knife. You might find that this site is sufficient to meeting your weight loss/health needs. If after a few months you find that it isn't working for you, then it might be time to consider surgery. If I were in your shoes, though, I think I would regret it if I didn't try everything else first before subjecting myself to a surgery that turned out to be unnecessary.
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I, too, have had both lapband and gastric bypass. Wish I had by pass first. There are so many people having problems with the lapband and in some countries they are no longer doing it. I had lots of complications with my lapband and never did lose the weight with it. Gastric by-pass surgery just about killed me but once I got over the initial eleven days, I have had no more problems. I am 58 years old and my metabolism is shot. I wish I could say I lost all my weight with surgery but I didn't, haven't and won't. I also got sick, not related to surgery when I was 1.5 years out and gained all but 50 lbs of my weight back, due to medication. I am working on getting it back off now. Do I regret the surgery, not at all, do I regret lapband, very much so. I am currently reading a book by Dr. Travis Stork from the TV show The Doctors. I think the name of it is the flat belly something. Would look it up but don't have it with me at this time. This book has made more sense to me than anything I have ever read.

You may contact me with any questions you have about either surgery, but please go to obesityhelp.com and read all the lapband failures in the revision forum. If you just go to the lapband forum you will think it is the best thing since a pocket on a shirt, but it isn't.
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    i'd learn how to control your intake and lose weight by eating at a deficit AKA MFP. my .02
  • hollyann31
    hollyann31 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    if you decide to continue w/ the surgery you will need to continue to eat right and exercise..you cant have one and not the other...if you get the surgery and eat bad or not work out then you wont have much progress...they say the band isnt good for anyone who needs to lose more than 100 lbs...i went in for my consultation and the patient liason told me that more people were having them taken our vs putting them in...whatever your decision remeber that surgery wont work without you being mentally ready as well as continuing to eat better and work out more...here if you need me
  • slowandsteady165lb66
    Options
    I had a LapBand 3.4 years ago and I have not had any problems with it. I've lost 86lbs. The weight loss has been slow which is what I wanted. It has helped me stay within my selected calorie range. It is a tool not a miracle. It's a tool just like counting calories or exercising or having a support system. Some of us just need more tools than others. I've learned to eat slower,make better food choices for myself and change some of my behaviors around food. I go for checkups 2x's a year and a support group my hospital offers. I can call them at any time with questions or concerns. I decided to try out myFitnesspal because i bought a Fitbit and they sync with one another. I have had problems controlling my weight and eating behaviors since I was a child and been on numerous diets. I'm a senior citizen and I'm really proud of myself for the decision I made to get a LapBand and the changes I've made since then. Good Luck
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I only know one person who had the band, but her experience was a worst-case nightmare. It was enough to scare me away from it permanently. You could always postpone your appointment and give MFP a shot. You're going to have to learn to control your eating one way or another if you want long-term success.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Just an addition to the novel I wrote earlier about my sister, the bariatric program here wanted to feature her in their newsletter as a Lap-Band success story. She declined because 99% of her weight loss was done with an empty band, just through logging food on MFP and exercising. It can be done; it's just up to you!

My brother and dad both had gastric bypass 11 and 10 years ago, respectively. Both lost a ton of weight and regained over the years.

Long story short, the surgeries still require work on your part.
  • karmahealer
    karmahealer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump:flowerforyou:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Definitely do the MFP, calorie controlled diet and exercise route.
    But it will only work if you have the commitment to stick with it. The benefits are extraordinary but you must want to continue with it -day in, day out. Give it a go, it could potentially change your life for the better.
    kind regards,

Ben