What do you think on Slim Fast?

Options
A member of my family has recommended me Slim Fast as it helped her loose pounds when she was on a diet. I've just been on their website and checked prices, I could afford the diet plan every week (minus the snacks - don't need them!) ..have any of you tried it? And can I please ask NOT to comment saying "you don't need slim fast just buy fruit or veg" or some other annoying comment :noway: ...I'm only asking for peoples opinions on the plan/products :-) thanks. Oh also I've been on the forever living detox plan it's coming to the end of my 9 days and their products are 4x the price of slim fast ..was hoping to carry on the programme but it's something I can't afford every week! Seems to be working me the job so I doubt Slim Fast wouldn't work the same way! Thanks for reading :flowerforyou:

Replies

• RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think Slimfast is a protein bar or physllium husk thing to keep you full. Products like these are meant to help you if you are constantly hungry and such (which I would think is caused by a thyroid issue?).... so if you are an emotional/bored eater type this probably won't help you... just a thought. I saw another Slim Fast topic floating around recently.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    If you plan on drinking that overpriced, over processed, quasi-food in a can for the rest of your life I say go nuts. Otherwise, just eat real food.

Rigger
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know that Slim Fast was even around anymore, I tried it a long time ago and for me it didn't do very much. I'd rather eat real food/meals and drink lots of water but that's just in my opinion, wasn't my desire to stick with just Slim Fast drinks and snacks. Also even if you do lose weight while using this once you are off of it you will most likely gain everything back since you'll be eating real foods again unless you planned on just using this stuff for the rest of your life which wouldn't be recommended.
  • new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It is so bad for you- full of sugar, and its all chemicals. Nothing natural. I did, however, use it after my son was born to help shed, but it all came back and then some. Definitely not a life style choice.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    On top of all the obvious reasons these are bad for you, they taste NASTY. If I had to drink them every day I think I would cry.
  • oppii
    oppii Posts: 19
    Options
    NAAAH! Buy some protien powder, shove that in yer chocky milk and there you have it, delicious AND nutritious!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If you plan on drinking that overpriced, over processed, quasi-food in a can for the rest of your life I say go nuts. Otherwise, just eat real food.

THIS. Have you checked the ingredient label for any of the Slim Fast shakes for example? Bleeeech. :sick:

Calorie deficit + movement = weight loss. If you like the idea of "shakes" you can easily make your own at home using fresh & healthy ingredients. You don't to follow any expensive meal plans to lose weight, you can do it eating the foods that you enjoy eating!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of threads on these boards about meal replacements like Slim Fast. You can do a search for them and see what people have said.

In short, my opinion (as someone who drinks slim fast occasionally and who has tried a mostly SF diet) is that if you truly enjoy the flavor of the shakes then you might be able to sustain it for awhile. It can get very difficult when real life gets in the way of your meal planning. Also, the most important factor to your success on a Slim Fast or meal replacement plan is that you need to understand that weight loss is caused by the calorie deficit that these meal replacements allow you to have when used correctly. An equal caloric replacement for a SF shake would be a ham sandwich with 3 oz. of meat, NOT half a pizza. So keep that in mind.

Also, if you're going to use slim fast, buy the canned powder and milk to mix it with. It is several times cheaper than buying the pre-made shakes.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i never understood things like slimfast. you say you cant afford it... if you want to replace some (or all :noway:) of your meals with a shake, why not just buy protein powder, some milk and make your own? It's bound to more tasty, more nutritious and easier on your pockets. i would never pay 3, 4, 5 dollars a can for something i can buy in bulk and make myself. im baffled...
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss (it can be done without meal replacements) and exercise for fitness. That is all
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    A member of my family has recommended me Slim Fast as it helped her loose pounds when she was on a diet. I've just been on their website and checked prices, I could afford the diet plan every week (minus the snacks - don't need them!) ..have any of you tried it? And can I please ask NOT to comment saying "you don't need slim fast just buy fruit or veg" or some other annoying comment :noway: ...I'm only asking for peoples opinions on the plan/products :-) thanks. Oh also I've been on the forever living detox plan it's coming to the end of my 9 days and their products are 4x the price of slim fast ..was hoping to carry on the programme but it's something I can't afford every week! Seems to be working me the job so I doubt Slim Fast wouldn't work the same way! Thanks for reading :flowerforyou:

You are on a website advertising eating whole food and exercising and you ask not to comment the obvious, really?

We don't encourage crazy detox/meal replacements plans.
    Look at the people here that lost the extra weight, they did it eating real food and getting off the couch.

Clearly if you don't want to hear us say that you should use whole food and fruits/veg it means you have already made your mind on the subject

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, but you aren't going to get much support for the Slim Fast Plan here. This site is not about just losing weight, but making healthy choices you can continue to make for the rest of your life. A lot of the people on here have been yo-yo dieters for most of their lives and are finally realizing that they need to make permanent changes instead of "dieting." As others have stated, unless you plan to drink slim fast for the rest of your life, it's not a good route to go. I have done some of the slim fast stuff, and, yes, you will most likely gain back anything you lose while on their diet. That's the problem with diets: they are temporary. :indifferent:
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have used slim fast before, and it did take off weight, however it did not teach me how to live in the real world and eat right so I was not able to keep the weight off.

Slimfast is a tool to get your calories down, and one that works at doing so, but it is not a sustainable way of life. Use MFP to keep count of your calories, measure your food and you will learn to eat right. Slimfast can fit in as part of that.

eta: I used the slimfast powder in my own skim milk- I never did the pre-made cans of stuff
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I use it every day and I think its helped my weight loss. Its easy for me to stick to and plan my days. I use it more during the week and less on the weekends when I have more time to cook.

I buy it on Amazon, its cheaper by the case. Good luck to you!
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well...
    If I remember the plan correctly, you have 2 shakes a day and a "sensible" dinner. They also advise you to have some fruits, veggies, etc. along with the shakes.

If you are only have 2 shakes and 1 meal a day your daily calories will be quite low. And from what I know about the shakes, they are just processed liquid fortified meals (lots of vitamins, minerals, etc.)

Having one every once in awhile is not bad, but I can't say it would be good to do long term. My father-in-law used to use the shakes.... he would have some fruit with them normally and then eat a decent dinner. I think he lost a bit of weight but not much. I've had the shakes occasionally in the past - they were just ok. My husband used to drink a generic version from Target for a quick breakfast when I was in a rush. I can't say that they did anything for us.

I would suggest looking into a protein powder of some sort... It would keep you fuller longer with the higher protein and you would have more flexibility with the various add-ins (different milks, fruits, frozen fruits, greens, greek yogurt, ice, stevia, etc.
  • melanieconvey
    melanieconvey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am currently using slim fast - two shakes a day plus loads of fresh fruit/ veg and 2 balanced small meals. I wanted to use them as a short term kick at the start of my weight loss/ fitness plan as a sort of visual psychological instigator.. the fact that I was eating a 'healthy/ food replacement' shake for breakfast rather than what I fancied. But I have to say after further investigation - there is so much sugar in them that they are actually really awful! For most people (myself included) it isn't breakfast that's the problem also - but it's portion sizes or the constant snacking/ meals as you go through the day. This is what you should focus on rather than substituting the meals for the slim fast shakes which are not that healthy for you anyway. I am going to use my slim fast shakes up rather than waste them and then go back to my normal meals soon as! In an ideal world - I would also go out and buy a decent blender and make my own shakes with oats, fruits, proteins etc.. when finances allow. Ultimately though, I think slim fast is okay as a short term solution if you are fully aware what they actually contain and are realistic about them - that you should go back to healthy, balanced food that you've made for yourself as soon as. Clear as mud and totally contradictory advice! :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at what you're doing as a "diet" it's probably going to fail.

Why not just count your calories and step away from any "weight loss" products. If they were lasting and permanent, wouldn't everyone use them?
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    It's a temporary thing... Can be helpful because you'll be at a calorie deficit... But definitely temporary.
  • npc80
    npc80 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use the readymade slimfast shakes to avoid eating too much at the moment (I'm restricted by my doctor to 1500-1600 calories a day) I find it helps stop me feeling hungry xx
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and you will be just fine. Slim slow it will last longer