Fit For Future Families 2

Options

Replies

• H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jessica, and all the other newbies (although, I'm quite new myself). My big advice for you, Jessica, is that when you do "officially" start ttc, don't wait too long to seek help if it hasn't happened w/in 6ish months. DH & I started trying... or "if it happens, it happens"...that was 2 years ago. I talked to my ob/gyn about it after about 6 months. And we've been trying different things ever since.

kcurtis05 - If you find that "magic wand"... could you pass it along to me!? :wink:

pam - That's a US quote - I'm in WI. That price that I had in my last post doesn't include the genetic testing stuff... I'm not sure how much that would be, but we're not planning on doing that at this time. I'm hoping to at least get my meds covered for free - I have to call & find out if we qualify first.

ericaroo - I honestly don't know how it's been 2 years already since we started trying... it doesn't seem possible. But, what do ya do when all you want is a baby!? keep on a tryin'. It certainly has taken a toll on me both physically & emotionally...not to mention how it affects a marriage....
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    ericaroo - I honestly don't know how it's been 2 years already since we started trying... it doesn't seem possible. But, what do ya do when all you want is a baby!? keep on a tryin'. It certainly has taken a toll on me both physically & emotionally...not to mention how it affects a marriage....

Yeah, we've only (only?!) been trying 9 months and it has just left me feeling completely defeated and broken so many times. Though I think I've hit a point where I've decided if it doesn't happen, I'll live. That's one of the reasons I decided to get in shape. I might as well be in good shape to enjoy all of my free time if it's not going to be taken up by a baby. I'm not so sure my husband agrees, though. However, he's finally getting the "when are you going to have kids" question all the time and I can see he's starting to empathize with how I felt a few months ago when I broke down and sobbed for several hours.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    She didn't even offer you provera to jump-start your cycle? That's too bad. :frown:

The provera doesn't make you ovulate though - so AF with no ovulation would suck!!!! All the negatives and none of the positives.
  • fitterpam
    Options

Yeah, we've only (only?!) been trying 9 months and it has just left me feeling completely defeated and broken so many times. Though I think I've hit a point where I've decided if it doesn't happen, I'll live. That's one of the reasons I decided to get in shape. I might as well be in good shape to enjoy all of my free time if it's not going to be taken up by a baby. I'm not so sure my husband agrees, though. However, he's finally getting the "when are you going to have kids" question all the time and I can see he's starting to empathize with how I felt a few months ago when I broke down and sobbed for several hours.

Honestly, the first year is the worst - and then there were times when it was horrible for a few months of the year. The first is definitely the worst though..... I can't believe it's been so long for us either and the one comment I've gotten most is "How can you guys stand to be around kids and be so open about your issues". The truth is if we don't have kids around, life is lonely. They aren't a reminder for us. We're open about our issues (everyone knows the whos the whats and the whys) because we've found that it stops people from asking questions.....if we give them more details than they would ever want to know. It makes it easier that we have issues because people don't ask us.

My dad does joke around about "where are my grandkids" to which my baby sister jumps up and says "I'm sure I can find someone willing to help me give you some". People step in to protect you.....when they know what's going on. They don't ask......

It's definitely not for everyone but it's worked for us. Figure out what you're willing to put up with and let people know your boundaries. Sometimes the best thing to do though is head for the nearest empty room and just cry.....
  • fitterpam
    Options
    pam - That's a US quote - I'm in WI. That price that I had in my last post doesn't include the genetic testing stuff... I'm not sure how much that would be, but we're not planning on doing that at this time. I'm hoping to at least get my meds covered for free - I have to call & find out if we qualify first.

Yeah I kick myself now. When I started with my company they covered fertility drugs to a maximum of $2000 a lifetime. We still weren't ready to pay thousands of dollars. Within a year of me joining the company they dropped it saying no one ever used the option....D'Oh....

We got a list from the doctor and apparently 1 is covered so it's going to mean more money for us...YAY!!! Not
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Just one more from me - I promise (geez, don't know what got into me today........)

http://www.children.gov.on.ca/htdocs/English/infertility/index.aspx

Not that this will directly affect many of you. My husband and I were part of this study. The panel has submitted to our local government that fertility treatments be covered under our health care options since it would cost the government a lot less money to cover them than not.

The premise for fertility is that by covering the $15K that it costs for the fertility treatments, the doctors will be mandated to try only one embryo/zygote at a time, thereby reducing the multiples that occur as a result of fertility treatments. Since most multiples are preemies the cost for their care (which our government is responsible for) runs much higher than the initial cost of fertility treatment. There are also recommendations for the changes to the adoption programs - whcih believe me are sorely needed.

I told my husband that this probably wouldn't be put in place in time for us this round, but it could be good for next time...
  • epa422
    Options
    Yes, I've hit a point where I want to just say to people who ask, "We've been trying since January. We'll let you know if it ever happens," but I don't think my husband is there yet. He's pretty private.

Then we've got a whole complication on top of this in that he was married previously and she passed away. Before she underwent cancer treatments, they banked some embryos. I really dread the "well why don't you guys just use those?" if we have to go through the fertility treatment thing. I really really really don't think I could handle that. So come on body! Work!
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Yeah I've had the whole, why don't you use a surrogate. The answer for us is always the same. The cost is the same between the two options and this way has less complications......I would think it would similar in your situation.

People don't think things like that through.....

Hopefully you guys don't get to the point of having to tell everyone...hopefully it'll happen soon :)
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Alright. I'm going to look totally crazy since I've got caught up from last Sunday (when I rejoined the group) and now I have a bunch of responses. So warning, this is long :laugh:

Alisa – I’m so sorry about the head lice. My poor mom had 2 girls with long thick hair, how we made it through elementary school without ending up with a bob cut, I have no idea! I would make no plans for the 2 weeks my hubby was home. My hubby works a lot of odd hours, but he’s home every night, I don’t know how people go long times without them, I kindda miss the guy when he’s not around. Sorry about the toes.

FitterPam – Great work on getting past that stuck point. I’ve been messing with 185-189 since June. Once I crossed over to the 100’s I’ve been having a harder time making good choices and doing what I need to do. I’m sorry the call from the dr wasn’t great, but I love that you put a positive spin on it.:flowerforyou:

Mellie – When is your birthday? The dreaded 35, huh? I have to say 35 is bugging me more then 30 did. Sorry about AF this month. I’m glad you had a good talk with hubby about TTC . We tried for a year with my daughter and I got a BFP the month I had a total breakdown and told my hubby all that I was going through. I never told him I was testing every cycle and most of the stuff I was doing. He just knew I did OPK and that was about it. I think it let me share a little of my stress with him which helped a lot! That story about your hubby and the BBT made me laugh so hard I almost woke my daughter up from her nap. Silly boys.

Heather – I understand what you are saying about the 2WW. I tend to over eat during that time and I won’t work out during that time any more either, just nice walks around the neighborhood. Have you ever tried OPK to see when you are ovulating? I have to use them, my cycles change each month. The last cycle was crazy for me, 26 days and generally 28 is short for me. If it happens again this month I’m going to the OB, especially if it gets shorter.

Ericaroo – Thanks for the tip on working out. Is that from AF until O as well as 2WW? My OB said it’s fine to work out as long as you’ve been doing it for awhile. My 2nd MC started the day after I went to the gym and took it easy on the elliptical. Although I know it’s not the reason, it’s one of a short list of things I did that I blame the MC on (when I’m in a self pitty mood). I used the exercise TV website to down load a 30 day program for Jillian Michales. I didn’t stick to, but I downloaded it :laugh:

Maxwell – I’m sorry things haven’t worked out this past year. I hope your blood work comes back with some helpful information. I got so frustrated with my last MC because my OB wouldn’t do anything to see what was going on. I actually asked her, “do you think the 3rd one would hurt less?”

Jenny – Welcome! “So of course, I want to get in shape for my baby. It's funny how, the minute I decided once and for all to do this, I no longer cared about how I would look in a bathing suit... all I care about now is that I'm healthy and can provide for a healthy pregnancy! “ that shows what a great mom you will be! Your story made me think of "The Switch" only because i didn't see the other movie. I think it's awesome you plan to do this alone!:drinker:

PMaria 10 – Great walking plan. I often forget that a workout doesn’t have to be all at once!

Jalara – Great job on losing the weight. I swear it practically falls off if you catch it right away. We’ll see for me, I gained 3 lbs over the last 2 weeks and I’m trying really hard to make it all fall off on Friday’s weigh in.

Jkel – Welcome to the group. I think it’s very smart of you to start educating yourself now. If I would have known, at 30 that there would be a chance it would take me longer than a month or two to get pregnant, I probably would have started a little sooner. Even trying for our second one, i've learned so much just by putting myself out there in TTC groups, with our first it was all kept so quite I didn't realize all the resources there were out there. Growing up you are told, “just one time without protection…” that I didn’t realize it takes the average couple 3-6 months, if not a year.

Kcurtis – I second ericaroo on the provera, did you ask? Although I guess if it doesn't make you O, then it doesn't really matter.

So, I'm sitting on the couch with TP shoved up each nostril since my nose won't stop running. I've had a sore throat, runny nose and sneezing all day today. I felt pretty poopy yesterday too, but today takes the cake. I'm at that fun point of my cycle where I have to do the OPK, which means holding my pee for 4 hours. Has anyone every tried holding their pee for 4 hours when you are sneezing like crazy? Let's just say I made it 3 hours before that wasn't an option any more. The test was neg but I'm going to try to hold it until 5:30 and test again, I don't want to miss the O, although I'm pretty sure it will be later in the week. My hubby works 2-midnight tonight, so I hope it's not today since we won't see him until tomorrow night.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've hit a point where I want to just say to people who ask, "We've been trying since January. We'll let you know if it ever happens," but I don't think my husband is there yet. He's pretty private.

Then we've got a whole complication on top of this in that he was married previously and she passed away. Before she underwent cancer treatments, they banked some embryos. I really dread the "well why don't you guys just use those?" if we have to go through the fertility treatment thing. I really really really don't think I could handle that. So come on body! Work!
    [/quote

I've gotten to the point that I tell people, "it just takes some of us longer then it does other" and that generally shuts them up.

Wow, that's crazy about the deceased wife's eggs. I really don't know what I would do in that situation. I hope your body does what it needs to so you don't have to make that choice.
  • paldal
    paldal Posts: 154
    Options
    Kiffypooh, your pee comment made me laugh out loud, of course, I'm sure I looked strange doing that at work. anywho....

Ericaroo, I guess you don't have comcast? Pretty much everything on exercisetv.tv is free for comcast on-demand customers. I just wasn't using it as much as I probably should have, so we just got rid of it.

Jessica, welcome, I wasn't very active in forums either. But, this group is just too hard to resist. :wink:

It is so nice to hear everyone's stories, I'm so sorry for all the hardships you had to go through to learn all your lessons. But, I'm so glad for your input. :flowerforyou:
  • epa422
    Options
    Kiffypooh, I just did my first OPK. I figured I'd try everything I could before my first year was up so I don't feel like we didn't explore our options. I nearly wet myself this afternoon because lightning struck right by my office and I had to pee so bad anyway. I managed to hold it. No positive for me. I figured I would get a negative, but didn't want to miss my surge.

Paldal, nope, no Comcast here. I have crappy local TV programming, though now that True Blood is over for the season, we're axing it. I wonder if they have it on Hulu+... hmm... but now we have a laptop to hook up to the TV so that was my plan.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    fitterpam: Let me just say you have courage! I don't think I could be so open but i'm glad that it does work for you. I think you'll will be blessed and it's only a matter of time. Keep the faith sister!

Kiffypoo/ericaroo: your comments about holding your pee made me laugh out loud! Thanks for sharing it def put a smile on my face today hasn't been a very good day for me so thank you. :)

Have a GREAT night ladies.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Kiffypoo - first of all, I'm sorry that you're sick... that sucks! Especially during summer... well, I guess I don't know where you're located, but it's summer here yet :wink: Also, I've literally tired everything... well, the basics anyhow: temping, opk's, clomid, femara, gonal-f, ovidrel, estrace, prometrium, 3 iui's... so, yeah... now it's on to IVF :cry: But hopefully it only takes one try. (Kudo's to you for keeping up from sunday! I go away for a couple of hours & have tons to read from just this thread!).

To everyone else dealing with the dreaded question "When are you going to have kids".... I started telling people "When people stop asking".... I got some laughs from that one, and it also shut them up pretty fast. Don't worry, I said it with a big ol' smile on my face :laugh: (btw, no one knows what we've been going thru except my sister & mom - dh doesn't even know they know). It's definitely difficult... dh & I started trying when my sil did, and they just had twins 5 months ago (she took the lowest dose of clomid ONE time). Every time I talked to her, I basically played "dumb", when in actuallity, I knew 10 times more than her. Oh well - here's hoping IVF working I guess!
  • kt4au
    kt4au Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    These past 2 weeks have been crazy. I have a new job that is going to take up a lot of my time and they want to eat all the time, so I have gone over my calories a couple of times but only by a little so I don't feel so bad. Also, no gym...I have done something to my ankle and it has to heal before I can go back.

I am now 3 days late. I have held off taking a test for 2 reasons. First, we are going home to Alabama tomorrow and I don't know if I could hold it in. So if I don't know, then i can't just blurt it out. Second reason is that I don't know that I can stand to see another negative test. This was my last cycle of Clomid, so I will have to move on to IUI. I was really hoping to concieve the old fashion way but I don't know if that is the case. Of course everything that is going on with my body, I look it up and find somewhere that it is an "early sign of pregnancy." I am making myself and my DH crazy. Today I started cramping so I have gotten really depressed. If AF isn't here by Sunday, I will be testing on Monday. Say a prayer that I don't see AF and that I get a BFP on Monday. I will let you know.
  • epa422
    Options
    Good luck, kt4au!
  • fitterpam
    Options
    I hope you get the BFP!!!!
  • chloehippy
    Options
    I hope no one minds me joining in here so late in the game, but i have been using the fitness pal app on my ipod and did not know the community existed intil 3 or 4 days ago when i was forced to start using the site instead of the ikpod cause i dropped it and broke the screen, bye bye 260 dollars to have it repaired. :(. but on to happier things.

my hubby and i have been ttc for 1 year this month, but due to me being recently being diagnosed with PCOS we have not been successful.

my doc wants me to lose 10% of my body weight before starting clomid, so i am halfway there. 16 pounds left till i am a little more then 10% down.

so my goals are:

1. continue to lose
    2. workout as often as possible
    3. water water water
    4. try to eat all my calories. this is my biggest problem right now.
  • ivygirl11
    ivygirl11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am feeling totally discouraged right now... Ok so when i first joined this site i was doing SO good (i thought) although i wasnt eating all of my calories but i just wasnt hungry and wasnt really feeling well... I was feeling so proud of myself and totally thought that i could conquer this. Well this week i have done SO bad... I have eaten pretty crappy and i feel like i am always hungry and wanting to snack. Which makes me think that AF is coming soon which makes me sad...

So anyhow it was about this same time that i started clomid. I have taken it before but this time just feels different, but i just dont know if i am imagining things. I went in today for my blood work to see if i ovulated and i am hoping to find out tomorrow... I am feeling crampy but its feels a little early to start feeling period cramps since my periods never start before day 35 and today is only day 21.

I know most of you feel this way and i am totally not trying to be a baby but i just feel like i have to lose this weight, My future is depending on it. A part of my feels like losing weight will solve all of my problems but the realistic part of me knows that my problems will more then likely still be my problems when i lose weight...

So i guess for now some support would be awesome... Some encouragement, some hope...

(ps i am also very moody/emotional right now. AF of BFP? I hate the waiting game but i suppose time is going to pass either way...
  • epa422
    Options
    I'm always moody/emotional around O time. It's the increased progesterone. That's probably what's also making you hungry. Also, my friends who have been on clomid seem to have worse symptoms after they stop and they have ovulated. Probably because you've produced more and bigger eggs so you have way more progesterone than usual. It often helps me to have something to blame for feeling the way I feel. Progesterone is a great scape goat.

That being said, I felt soooo much better last cycle after O because I was working out. I know you probably don't feel like doing it, but even walking would help you feel better and would give you some great endorphins to boost your mood. And would make you feel better about getting rid of some of those calories you're eating.

Hang in there! It's probably too soon to be officially pregnant, but you're certainly not out yet! :-)