How gross is fast food to you

Options

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I know how bad it is. I read the book fast food nation and I mostly trust and agree with the information in it. I've seen super size me. I regret eating that junk every single time.
    Yet I find myself mindlessly driving thru ordering the usual.

I would like to know how disgusting you find fast high-calorie low nutrient food, in my effort to find it uneatable.
    And for the one's who'll say it's delicious and tell us their favorite mcdonalds joke or pun, I'll let a ha ha out in advance.

But seriously does anybody else know how bad it is, and still eat it regularly? what do you tell yourself to stop it?

Thank you

While I don't eat fast food anymore, I don't think it's evil or disgusting etc. It's just mostly stuff that I no longer eat, because I now eat a whole foods, plant based diet. My diet has naturally progressed to where it's at now, as I transitioned into maintenance and became interested in how food plays a part in good/bad health. I have a different mindset now and fast food/meat/cheese etc has no appeal to me anymore. It's not something I struggle with or crave-I just want to eat different foods now :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Nine out of 10 people in line at the grocery store are obese, too. Maybe you shouldn't shop there, either. :-)
    Depends what grocery store! Thank you for the input:)
    Every one I've ever been in.

This is statistically unlikely. I don't know what country is referred to in the post(s) above, but < 1/2 of Americans are obese. I don't know of a country that has a 90% obesity rate, so it would be very unlikely that every grocery store in any area would happen to have 90% obese clientele at the time one individual chose to shop there.

Wait a moment. I realize that most are not obese but visually it can be hard to tell. I believe the obesity rate in the U.S. is in the 30% range, but the overweight rate is in the 60% range. Please feel free to check my numbers here. The point being, you see a lot of overweight people out there.

"a lot" of "overweight" people =/= 9 out of every 10 people being obese.

And to another post, yes it would be statistically unlikely to see 90% obese people in a fast food joint also. The percentages may vary statistically but I don't have the information to run those numbers.

Point being, that was the post that started the ridiculousness. "9 out of 10 people in a fast food line are obese".
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Nine out of 10 people in line at the grocery store are obese, too. Maybe you shouldn't shop there, either. :-)

This is statistically unlikely. I don't know what country is referred to in the post(s) above, but < 1/2 of Americans are obese. I don't know of a country that has a 90% obesity rate, so it would be very unlikely that every grocery store in any area would happen to have 90% obese clientele at the time one individual chose to shop there.

Wait a moment. I realize that most are not obese but visually it can be hard to tell. I believe the obesity rate in the U.S. is in the 30% range, but the overweight rate is in the 60% range. Please feel free to check my numbers here. The point being, you see a lot of overweight people out there.

And to another post, yes it would be statistically unlikely to see 90% obese people in a fast food joint also. The percentages may vary statistically but I don't have the information to run those numbers.

Slightly exaggerated, maybe, but I also see plenty of obese people at the grocery store. I live in a beach community so people seem to be more concerned about the way they look, but anytime I go inland the numbers of the obese increase dramatically.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Slightly exaggerated, maybe, but I also see plenty of obese people at the grocery store. I live in a beach community so people seem to be more concerned about the way they look, but anytime I go inland the numbers of the obese increase dramatically.

Yes, that makes sense. Unless the beach is in AL, which has a high obesity rate. It certainly varies by area/state/region.
  • Kilokato
    Kilokato Posts: 33
    Options
    Microsoft admitted that they spent a good amount of time and resources researching and adjusting their Surface tablet to get it to make the perfect click sound when the keypad/cover attaches to the tablet. It's physically addictive. Just like popping bubble wrap.

You're correct about everything but the physical addiction part. I think we're just disagreeing on semantics here. A physical addiction is something that is paired with uncontrollable cravings, withdrawal symptoms, irrational thought, etc. Popping bubble wrap does none of those.Flip open a medical dictionary or psychological journal and find the definition of a physical addiction.

This is an article written about an actual study that was done at Scripps Research Institute (one of the most respected and prestigious research facilities in the world), titled "FAST FOOD AS ADDICTIVE AS HEROIN, study says."
    Scientist have previously proven links between drug addiction and fast-food addiction, but now there is a growing body of research that is finding out how junk food is hard wiring our brains for cravings.

The latest study, published March 28 in "Nature Neuroscience," likened the affects of high-fat, high-calorie fast food to those of cocaine or heroin, in animals at least.

The researchers showed that the pleasure-center in rats brains were overstimulated from the fast food similar to an addict's cocaine binge. Eventually, the pleasure centers became so overloaded that rats needed more and more food to feel normal, according to Paul H. Kenny, an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at the Scripps Research Institute.

Throughout the study, Kenny and his co-author studied three groups of lab rats for 40 days. The first group ate healthy food. The second ate a limited amount of junk food. The third group, however, was allowed to gorge on high-fat, high-calorie foods and became obese.

The startling side effect? The brains of the obese rats changed.

"The body adapts remarkably well to change -- and that's the problem," Kenny said in a press release. "When the animal overstimulates its brain pleasure centers with highly palatable food, the systems adapt by decreasing their activity. However, now the animal requires constant stimulation from palatable food to avoid entering a persistent state of negative reward".
    During the study, the rats lost complete control over the ability to regulate whether they were hungry, often eating despite electric shocks. When the obese rats were put on a healthy diet, they refused to eat, starving themselves for two weeks.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/03/30/fast-food-is-like-heroin-studies-find/

People can deny it all they want, but it's a very real thing.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't touch it...no reason when we have groceries and fresh/clean food available...

Yes this ^^ And pack a lunch or go for lunch at the grocery store.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Point being, that was the post that started the ridiculousness. "9 out of 10 people in a fast food line are obese".
    Haha! It is amazing how they misread my post. It was a personal experience that I had, not a generalized statement. I was simply answering the OP of why I don't like fast food. I actually did see 9 out of 10. Does it happen all the time...no (never said it did) but it was an experience that helped shape my view on fast food.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can't eat a lot of fast food....you know those times when you can't cook, like if you are traveling, or moving, or whatever, and you have to eat out for a few days? Oh, I start to feel SICK!

I also really don't like the very fake stuff, like McDonald's. It tastes good at the time, but then makes me feel sick, and that feeling sticks with me, reminding me that I don't want to do that again.

However, I'm a sucker for "good" fast food....occasionally, I just HAVE to have Whataburger! I know it isn't good for me, and I know it's processed, but it's a lot fresher than anything I can get at McDonald's. Also, I don't feel too bad getting my kid the Whatachicken bites, since it is actually chicken (and he loves the Texas toast and gravy).
  • RGv2
    Options
    Haha! It is amazing how they misread my post. It was a personal experience that I had, not a generalized statement. I was simply answering the OP of why I don't like fast food. I actually did see 9 out of 10. Does it happen all the time...no (never said it did) but it was an experience that helped shape my view on fast food.

So then it's quite possible that someone else's experience could have been seeing 9 out of 10 people in line at the grocery store as obese as well?
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've watched 'Super Size Me'... twice.

The first time i just assumed it was just because of the fast food he got so sick.

The second time, i payed more attention. The guy was OVEREATING to the point where he threw up!

If you do that with ANY type of food... even the healthiest kind, you are going to stress out your body/organs and get sick.

It would be interesting to see blood tests/health/fitness tests done on someone who ate only McDonalds for 1 month but ate within their calorie goals/macros. (Although they would probably have to supplement with a multi-vitamin to prevent vitamin/mineral deficiencies if they continued that lifestyle longterm)

I still don't eat McDonald's, but that's more because i'm gluten-free than any other reason... and too much risk of cross-contamination there.
  • IMarieB
    IMarieB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The thing that keeps me away from fast food and restraunt food is I've found hair in my food way too many times which completely grosses me out and have made me develop a disgust for fast food places. If I can see them making it I feel better. PLUS I always feel bloated and gassy after ESPECIALLY MCDONALDS!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Respectfully, until they start pumping crack or meth into my burger it is no different than the movie posters that use certain colors and sharp to be more eye-catching and invoke certain emotion in us.

It's truly not the same thing. There is no proven psychological link (on a societal scale) between seeing a color on a movie poster and feeling a physical need to see that movie. It might pique your interest, or increase your desire to see it, but it is not forcing your mind to bypass your cognitive processes and feel a physical need to see that movie. These corporations, however, are doing just that. They have devised ways to make humans (on a large scale) feel a physical addiction to their food so that they have increased profits. You can deny it, but it's just scientific fact. Coca-cola was on to it back in the day, putting literal cocaine into their beverages, until that was outlawed. They've just had to find craftier ways to get around it.

Where did you receive your Ph.D and in what discipline?
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

So then it's quite possible that someone else's experience could have been seeing 9 out of 10 people in line at the grocery store as obese as well?
    Possibly, but Im not arguing for them..I stopped that convo a while ago because she was taking it out of context. I just wanted to clarify:)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm stopping at Popeye's on the way home to get their Chicken Waffle Tenders.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Microsoft admitted that they spent a good amount of time and resources researching and adjusting their Surface tablet to get it to make the perfect click sound when the keypad/cover attaches to the tablet. It's physically addictive. Just like popping bubble wrap.

You're correct about everything but the physical addiction part. I think we're just disagreeing on semantics here. A physical addiction is something that is paired with uncontrollable cravings, withdrawal symptoms, irrational thought, etc. Popping bubble wrap does none of those.Flip open a medical dictionary or psychological journal and find the definition of a physical addiction.

This is an article written about an actual study that was done at Scripps Research Institute (one of the most respected and prestigious research facilities in the world), titled "FAST FOOD AS ADDICTIVE AS HEROIN, study says."
    Scientist have previously proven links between drug addiction and fast-food addiction, but now there is a growing body of research that is finding out how junk food is hard wiring our brains for cravings.

The latest study, published March 28 in "Nature Neuroscience," likened the affects of high-fat, high-calorie fast food to those of cocaine or heroin, in animals at least.

The researchers showed that the pleasure-center in rats brains were overstimulated from the fast food similar to an addict's cocaine binge. Eventually, the pleasure centers became so overloaded that rats needed more and more food to feel normal, according to Paul H. Kenny, an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at the Scripps Research Institute.

Throughout the study, Kenny and his co-author studied three groups of lab rats for 40 days. The first group ate healthy food. The second ate a limited amount of junk food. The third group, however, was allowed to gorge on high-fat, high-calorie foods and became obese.

The startling side effect? The brains of the obese rats changed.

"The body adapts remarkably well to change -- and that's the problem," Kenny said in a press release. "When the animal overstimulates its brain pleasure centers with highly palatable food, the systems adapt by decreasing their activity. However, now the animal requires constant stimulation from palatable food to avoid entering a persistent state of negative reward".
    During the study, the rats lost complete control over the ability to regulate whether they were hungry, often eating despite electric shocks. When the obese rats were put on a healthy diet, they refused to eat, starving themselves for two weeks.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/03/30/fast-food-is-like-heroin-studies-find/

People can deny it all they want, but it's a very real thing.

To be honest, a lot of it is probably psychological...not chemical (unless they are putting in meth or something). People can suffer all those things you listed by being addicted to non-food/drug substances...like gambling, hoarding, etc.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I do not label foods as good or bad, if it fits into my day, I eat it.

This exactly. ^
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've watched 'Super Size Me'... twice.

The first time i just assumed it was just because of the fast food he got so sick.

The second time, i payed more attention. The guy was OVEREATING to the point where he threw up!

If you do that with ANY type of food... even the healthiest kind, you are going to stress out your body/organs and get sick.

It would be interesting to see blood tests/health/fitness tests done on someone who ate only McDonalds for 1 month but ate within their calorie goals/macros. (Although they would probably have to supplement with a multi-vitamin to prevent vitamin/mineral deficiencies if they continued that lifestyle longterm)

I still don't eat McDonald's, but that's more because i'm gluten-free than any other reason... and too much risk of cross-contamination there.

That would be boring, because they would do very well. There's nothing special in McD's food that would adversely affect your health.

Hell, some guy ate almost nothing but Twinkies for a month. He lost weight and all his bloodwork improved.
  • RGv2
    Options

Possibly, but Im not arguing for them..I stopped that convo a while ago because she was taking it out of context. I just wanted to clarify:)

I just thought it was funny how you made a backhanded knock at the person when they compared the same line at a grocery store.