How gross is fast food to you

Options

Replies

• Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think this video shedding light on just what is in that McDo and Taco Bell, made by Jamie Oliver during his crusade against fast food chains using pink slime in their burgers and tacos, might help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshlnRWnf30
    Pink slime is deemed to be unfit for human consumption until it is treated by ammonia to sterilize it - it is a gross gross thing...

And? Pink slime is no longer used so what is your point. Stop living in the past...
  • chatpeau
    chatpeau Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    whoa... just when I started raving about how all of MFP people are helpful, polite and positive
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I could not care less about the lack of nutritional value, the use of genetically modified mystery species, the high trans fat or the astronomical calories in fast food. It's the complete disregard for the unbelievably high sodium content that amazes me. RDA is around 2000 mg.

Big Mac 970 mg sodium
    Whopper 1000 mg sodium
    One (Chicken?) McNugget 100 mg sodium
    One Papa Johns Chicken Wing 340 mg sodium
    Taco Bell Crunchy Taco 480 mg sodium
    One Pc Battered Fish LJS 700 mg sodium

People can eat and do whatever they want. Just don't ask me to donate my kidney when yours fails from high blood pressure.

Edit:
    Go ahead and shame unhealthy food and the people who eat it. I am grateful that I now feel regret and shame when I eat crap food. It has prompted me to make much better food choices.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I only know what they typed. But perhaps you have some secret knowledge that they were misusing words.

Apparently I do,

Saying doing "blah blah blah" is a "good way" to do something isn't saying it will be a 100% guarantee. It's saying, this would be a good way to try to do it, not that it's a 100% lock.

Saying this is a good way to ensure isn't the same as saying it WILL ensure.

But whatever.....

That doesn't make sense. Either it ensures it, or it's not "a good way to" ensure it. If it failed to ensure, it would be a bad way to ensure it. But, yeah, whatever.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I think this video shedding light on just what is in that McDo and Taco Bell, made by Jamie Oliver during his crusade against fast food chains using pink slime in their burgers and tacos, might help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshlnRWnf30
    Pink slime is deemed to be unfit for human consumption until it is treated by ammonia to sterilize it - it is a gross gross thing...

you shut your mouth!!!

this made me laugh so hard. It reminded me of something someone used to say "shut your mouth when you're talking to me!" hahahaha
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And while I'm all for teaching children to eat healthy, teaching them that certain things are "bad" is a good way to ensure they have a really horrible relationship with food later on.

Absolutely not true.
    Bcattoes has spoken. I must be wrong.

You are wrong. NOTHING "ensures" a really horrible relationship with food.

Lol, where does it say it WILL ensure. It reads "it's a good way to..."

Um ... see bolded section.

It still doesn't say it WILL ensure, it says it's a good way to. Whatever, I know the expression and get the just of the post, apparently not all do..
    She likes to argue. A lot.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    It is all what you define as fast food. There is fast food that is really junk food (McDonald's fries, burgers, etc.) and there are fast food choices that can be beneficial in a pinch when you are on the run. Subway veggie patties, Subway egg whites and Subway veggie veggie (all on wheat) are some great healthy choices that fit in the fast food description because the wait time is relatively short compared to a sit down resteraunt but not as quick as most burger barns.

Even McDonald's have a few healthy choices on the fast food menu, e.g., grilled chicken minus the bun (you can toss the bun and eat the lettuce and chicken).

But really, the thing that struck me about your comments is the bedrudging manner of not being able to avoid fast food. Like Michelle Obama stated, "you do not have to give up the burger - just eat it in moderation."
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I do not label foods as good or bad, if it fits into my day, I eat it.

This thread is 8 pages, and nothing needed to be said after this...
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I almost never let myself eat at a fast food place, but the convenience is a beast to break. I literally had to find enough quickly purchased staple foods at different places in my community or available from similar sources on the road to remove the ability to justify driving thru. My local co-op offers freshly made sushi rolls w/either pure veggies or fish as well, my natural food store has a huge deli w/premade salads, wraps, etc that are made w/locally farmed goods, local cheeses, etc. and I found a local drive thru coffee place that offers a local veggie filled bagel sandwich that is the worst of the best options. I have to make the decision to fight a little harder for higher quality food, not necessarily cheaper food, to live a much better life. I wish every Subway sandwich eater had to compare one bite of the Subway, and one w/freshly picked veggies, non nitrate filled meats if a meat eater, and a locally made bread. The difference is one that is huge, and everyone is worth it.
  • mdubs76
    mdubs76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This was eye opening. To say the least. But realisitically, I will still go and get my Egg Nog milkshake and the occasional cheeseburger.

http://positivemed.com/2013/04/20/10-disgusting-facts-about-fast-food/
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm not repulsed by fast food (the unhealthy type). I would just rather eat healthier choices that taste good and haven't had a burger or order of fries all year long. If I get down to where my BMI and body fat % are below the overweight category, then I might go back to the rare indulgence once in a while. Yeah it's not at all healthy, but neither is living in the city and breathing polluted air all year long.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    And while I'm all for teaching children to eat healthy, teaching them that certain things are "bad" is a good way to ensure they have a really horrible relationship with food later on.

Absolutely not true.

It still doesn't say it WILL ensure, it says it's a good way to. Whatever, I know the expression and get the just of the post, apparently not all do..

Ya, I know....
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I could not care less about the lack of nutritional value, the use of genetically modified mystery species, the high trans fat or the astronomical calories in fast food. It's the complete disregard for the unbelievably high sodium content that amazes me. RDA is around 2000 mg.

Big Mac 970 mg sodium
    Whopper 1000 mg sodium

People can eat and do whatever they want. Just don't ask me to donate my kidney when yours fails from high blood pressure.

Says the guy who was over his sodium goal 6 days out of the past week....

Edit: *which is also 500mg over the quoted RDA...
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I will still go and get my Egg Nog milkshake
    I have GOT to make this fit my macros one day this year!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Absolutely not true.

Guilty. But that doesn't make me wrong.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    It isn't.

It's not particularly healthy food, but I've known that from the beginning and am always surprised when people find themselves shocked at how unhealthy it is. (I'm trying to stop myself from labeling food as good or bad, so unhealthy is my present choice even though I know it's also about quantity and quality.)

I am far more grossed out when people eat things like lobster or shrimp as opposed to your average fast food meal.

Now how some people eat them, that's a whole other world.

Bottom feeding insect monsters? Three words. Om. Nom. Nom.

Ocean cockroaches. ~shudders then laughs~ yeah, I know, more for you.
  • FitbitVanessa
    FitbitVanessa Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've never stepped foot in a fast food restaurant, but if people like it and it brings jobs to the local communities, why the hate? I'm pretty sure many people think my hemp milk is gross (and guess what - if I overindulged, I'd get fat from hemp milk). To each his own.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    whoa... just when I started raving about how all of MFP people are helpful, polite and positive

To be fair spreading false information isn't helpful to anyone...
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    tumblr_md1ffbUcN51qefk5go1_400.gif
    I got fat off eating to much of good quality food not off fast food.
    How i got fat: fresh baked bread, Italian bakeries , my freshly baked cupcakes, and hell all of my own cooking!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Big Mac 970 mg sodium
    Whopper 1000 mg sodium

Says the guy who was over his sodium goal 6 days out of the past week....
    I ate fast food daily for a long time and my BP never went above 110/60. I stopped eating it and my BP has been as high as 120/70 and fluctuates a bit now. I do not eat a lot of sodium, usually less than 1,500 mg.