Question for runners w/ iphones

Replies

• gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    I use Endomondo! :] Works like a charm.
  • I use RunKeeper, which is completely free and works great. :)

Ditto! I love it. You can enter information manually for treadmills or GPS it for out and abouts.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Runkeeper is great and is free as well. But it has a pretty easy interface and does all the basic stuff you might need.

I've since transitioned to Nike+, which cost about $2.00, but I like it a lot. I also have Nike+ enabled shoes, which means my phone can track my distance on the treadmill from sensors in my shoes. That was really the main reason for the switch. Nike+ also have challenges and some nice training programs with it as well. I don't know that the free version on Runkeeper has those, but it's worth looking into.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    I use MapMyRUN and love it. It's free :happy:

^^ This is what I use and I love it! SUPER userfriendly and yep - FREE:bigsmile:
    GPS always works & chimes in at every mile to let you know your pace (optional) and you can share your workouts w friends.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    I use RunKeeper, which is completely free and works great. :)

I use Runkepper too! I like how it tells you if you’re on pass and how far you have gone while running outside. I run Pandora too at the same time and it is awesome!

^^^ This!! I have a Garmin for my HRM and and a bit more accurate GPS tho.

There is an app called "Running Log" by the company Winkpass that is awesome for keeping track of your runs. It's in the format of a calendar and gives you lots of data to input. I love it for keeping track of my running and it's neat to look back at a month and see how far you've gone. It's a free app, so check it out :flowerforyou:
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    I use runkeeper but have been having problems with accuracy. so am using both runkeeper and mapmy run... shall see which one is most accurate...
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Every so often, I go through and check what applications and websites are syncing with RunKeeper. Of course I earn points on Earndit, even though I can't very often use them, and level up on Fleetly and get badges on FourSquare. And have my FitBit connected.

I really like CleverRun.

Coachya looks interesting, but I haven't had a chance to really figure it out yet.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    MAPMYRUN!!! FREE!!!
  • I use... well, it's just called "Pedometer" (that's what it's titled on the home screen). It's a pedometer that allows you to input your weight/measurements, listen to music, tracks your running history, etc.... all I need to run!

That's what I use and I love it
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Runkeeper and iMapMyRun are good ones. Both are free.

They are beholden to the quality of your GPS signal, though. I get really inaccurate routes when I run in the CBD here in Brisbane. When I run along the shore in the bay the route is perfect. I assume the buildings in the CBD make it hard for the gps to get a good triangulation.
  • pdworkman
    Yes, they bounce the signal and give you a "canyon effect".
    Runkeeper and iMapMyRun are good ones. Both are free.

They are beholden to the quality of your GPS signal, though. I get really inaccurate routes when I run in the CBD here in Brisbane. When I run along the shore in the bay the route is perfect. I assume the buildings in the CBD make it hard for the gps to get a good triangulation.
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Runkeeper is great!
  • jj1lawyer
    jj1lawyer Posts: 6 Member
    I started with Runtastic and love it. I like getting the feedback during my run on my intervals/overall pace. It keeps me motivated to speed up when I need to.

I just signed up for MapMyRun though just to do planning with the routes I'm thinking of doing. I get bored running the same area/path all the time
  • cassienoe
    cassienoe Posts: 126 Member
    Thanks everyone! It was the lack of ipod/music controls in mapmyrun that was a bit of a turnoff to that particular app. I've messed around on the website though to figure out some theoretical routes. I just don't want to be switching between apps when I'm running (I can barely focus on the run as it is so I probably don't need more distractions!).

I figure any app that continually uses the GPS is going to drain my battery - the normal maps app does the same, but what can you do other than get a completely separate GPS like someone else suggested.

Thanks again everyone! Feel free to keep the suggestions coming :)

I use MapMyFitness and just purchased the + for .99 because they said you can use your ipod through the app as well as the camera. However I have yet to use it, I just downloaded it today. You can track tons of exercises with the fitness one (not sure if mapmyrun, mapmywalk etc let you log other workouts or only runs/walks etc) I have a polar blue tooth HRM and it syncs.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    I've been wondering what "Zombies, Run!" might do to your cortisol levels. I've listened to some samples of the app's track, and I felt adrenaline levels increasing. Stress reactions are not generally good for brain/body chemistry. Just wondering...
  • pdworkman
    Not directly on point, but some thoughts:

http://strengthrunning.com/2012/06/debunking-chronic-cardio/

http://running.competitor.com/2011/10/sports-science-update/sports-science-update-cortisol-and-the-runner_39176

http://www.livestrong.com/article/504834-running-cortisol-levels/

I've been wondering what "Zombies, Run!" might do to your cortisol levels. I've listened to some samples of the app's track, and I felt adrenaline levels increasing. Stress reactions are not generally good for brain/body chemistry. Just wondering...
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Runstastic is my fave....I also LOVE the runtastic website.
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    I'm a new user of runtastic and am loving it so far!
  • jjwalker77
    jjwalker77 Posts: 22 Member
    I use RunKeeper, which is completely free and works great. :)

Ditto runkeeper and it's free. I'm so cheap I don't pay for apps hardly ever.
    It does GPS - so shows your route, distance, and pace for the workout (average and splits per mile...) You can do additional add-ons for cost but the free one works great for me.

I also have lots of friends who use runtastic. I thought about switching, for like, a minute, but I already have such a history of mileage on my RunKeeper ;)
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Endomondo here too. It loads right into your MFP workouts too so you don't have to enter them

It's free , unless your want the HRM version

It tracks you on a map so you can see your routes

Lets you pick by distance or time

Tells you best lap etc

Has challanges with other users

and best of all its not just for running

You can also track walking , skiing , hiking , footballl, baseball, basketball ,boxing and on and on on