Eat to LIve Dr. Fuhrman

Options
Just curious if anyone out there has read this book/followed the diet, or is currently doing so. What's your experience/opinions?

Replies

• konalove3
    Options
    ?
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Loved the book/his blog :) I'm loosely following his plan, but I'm already in maintenance, so I'm not doing it to lose weight :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    He's selling a product. His basic formula is silly and his premise that people must make dramatic changes in order to accomplish anything is wrong.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Fuhrman rates up with there with Oz in my books...

Quack science in a nicely wrapped package you are required to purchase in order to "learn" from.
  • SJVZEE
    Options

Quack science in a nicely wrapped package you are required to purchase in order to "learn" from.

I borrowed the book from the library :wink:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

I borrowed the book from the library :wink:

Doesn't change the fact that the book is full of BS "science."
  • Darlekins
    Options

QFT. Oz shills the supplement du jour and Fuhrman shills the PETA rhetoric
  • SJVZEE
    Options

QFT. Oz shills the supplement du jour and Fuhrman shills the PETA rhetoric

His plan actually allows for meat and dairy in small amounts. I've read his book and also spent some time on his blog and haven't gotten any PETA vibes at all?
  • barc0040
    barc0040 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like dr fuhrman, but I much prefer dr. John Mcdougall and his book/plan "the starch solution". It's much easier to follow, more practical, and much more satisfying. I believe in his overall premise of eating a plant based diet, but, as dr mcdougall points out, veggies as the center of your meal is tough to sustain. Just my two cents
  • SJVZEE
    Options
    I like dr fuhrman, but I much prefer dr. John Mcdougall and his book/plan "the starch solution". It's much easier to follow, more practical, and much more satisfying. I believe in his overall premise of eating a plant based diet, but, as dr mcdougall points out, veggies as the center of your meal is tough to sustain. Just my two cents

Another good book :smile:
  • blpnana
    blpnana Posts: 36
    Options
    I read Fuhrman's and found it very restrictive I never did take it "all the way." I'm 61 years old, according to the "wisdom" in the world, I need to lose 75 pounds as well. One of the things I have found is that whenever I go on a "diet" meaning a particular way of limiting food intake - I find that all I think about is food - what I CAN have, what I CAN'T have and I start labeling food as "good" and "bad" - saying things like "I really ate bad today." That kind of mentality. So all of this dieting stuff is something I want to get away from. I've read so many books on nutrition I could probably write a book myself - combine all of them and make a really good book!! Just take away from it what you can do and leave the rest behind. For me, it helped me get back to eating more greens - which is good. I did the vegan thing for a minute, but found myself getting so hungry (and bored with eating only vegetables) also when you eat vegan you need to make sure you're getting enough B12 so if you do the Fuhrman and don't eat "food with faces" please make sure you're getting enough B12. You can obtain this through vegan B12 supplements or a tastier way is through Nutritional Yeast - which is great sprinkled on salads.
  • blpnana
    Options
    I'm going to seek that book out - thanks! The more info the better :wink:
  • blpnana
    Options

Another good book :smile:

Going to seek this book out is what I meant - thanks :smile:
  • hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello, yes I have read it and tried it but failed in my 2nd day. I'm a carnivore and his restriction to eat only pure vegetables is nuts. I couldn't do it. It was hard for me. But if it did not work for me does not mean it won't work for you either. He has years of study to back up his book and he has shown success stories there, so maybe it's true, it won't hurt to try. =)
  • SJVZEE
    Options
    Hello, yes I have read it and tried it but failed in my 2nd day. I'm a carnivore and his restriction to eat only pure vegetables is nuts. I couldn't do it. It was hard for me. But if it did not work for me does not mean it won't work for you either. He has years of study to back up his book and he has shown success stories there, so maybe it's true, it won't hurt to try. =)

You don't eat just veggies :) Fruit, beans, whole grains, nuts etc are all part of the plan. And some meat/dairy is still allowed, it's just not the focal point of your meals anymore. It's definitely not a plan that will appeal to everyone, but I'm really enjoying it :)
  • konalove3
    Options
    thanks so much for all the responses!
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    My grandmother read it and tried it for about... two days. It's very labour intensive and she said it was the worst food she's ever tried. I'm STILL trying to use up some of the bs they had her buy. I've found uses for some of it, but what I'm going to do with ground hemp seed, I have no idea.
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    I'd like to try 6 weeks of this, starting Jan. 2 (daily):

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 1 cup legumes: chickpeas, black beans, lentils, kidney beans, cannellini beans, white beans, navy beans
    • 4+ fresh fruit: apples, bananas, berries, grapes, mango, melon, oranges, peaches, pears, pineapple, kiwi
    • 1 lb raw veg: Kale, chard, romaine, green pepper, frozen peas, cucumber, sprouts
    • 1 lb cooked veg: broccoli, zucchini, Brussels sprout, escarole, spinach, onion, mushroom, cauliflower,..
    • 0-2 oz avocado
    • 0-1 cup starch: butternut squash, brown/wild rice, cooked carrot, sweet potato, barley

Anyone interested in joining me?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

You don't eat just veggies :) Fruit, beans, whole grains, nuts etc are all part of the plan. And some meat/dairy is still allowed, it's just not the focal point of your meals anymore. It's definitely not a plan that will appeal to everyone, but I'm really enjoying it :)

It's not a plan that caters to people who want to maintain lean body mass while losing weight, which should be every dieter.
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    Hi there. I did a little research and it looks like for those who have concerns about losing lean muscle mass (and not just body fat), that can be addressed by ensuring they wait until they're really hungry before eating, continuing to exercise, and adding more cooked greens and beans/legumes.