PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't even been active for 11 months. Too bad. Would have been interesting to hear if her perspective/thinking had changed or not.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    SMARTEN UP:
    You cannot continuously grow a muscle on a calorie deficit. These things are shrinking over time, not growing, despite the occasional inch or 2 gained over a few days that disappears. That's not muscle appearing and disappearing. You get that with cardio too btw just in different areas.
    Bodys repair by sending glycogen to said areas...if you exercise, your body is going to try to help you, yes, you'll increase an inch in that area for a day or two, it's helping you look better and shrink, you're getting firmer, you're looking better, you're shrinking over time, you're getting stronger, get over it.
    Your muscles are not going to grow an inch in a few weeks...they're shrinking.
    Cardio is not the best way to lose fat, it is the best way to create a large calorie deficit in a short amount of time, thus perhaps the best weigh to lose WEIGHT (both muscle and fat). I love my hiking, and I do long ones, but when I lose weight with just cardio I lose a chunk of muscle to. Yep it takes strength to hike up a mountain for 20km, but that'll only get you so far. Progressive resistance training ensures that the weight I'm losing is going more towards fat, but I'm not going to give up either as I enjoy both now...even though I despised lifting at first.

I have skinny thighs (21 inches). I'm also a 'pear' who carries all my weight in my hips and but. I've gained 10 pounds since I last measured and I lift...and I'm on a calorie SURPLUS...and my legs are still 21 inches. Squats don't make you fat on a calorie deficit *boggle*.

QFT x 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Muscles are bigger so what did you think would happen? Cardio is better for losing fat.

Absolutely. Why is that so hard for some people to understand, in addition to the fact that the people concerned about getting bigger are extreme pear shapes, no matter how much weight they lose, they're always going to store more fat in their lower body than they'd like?

So what does storing more fat have to do with resistance training your lower body? Resistance training doesn't make you store more fat, nor does it prevent fat loss.

Now if you are REALLY concerned about the actual measurement and not the tone, health or appearance, then yes you'd want to skip resistance training on your lower body so that you have as little muscle there as possible.
  • assblaster69
    assblaster69 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What? So if i lift something with my arms will they get bigger too? Why didnt anyone tell me, its hard for me to use my own brain
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Muscles are bigger so what did you think would happen? Cardio is better for losing fat.

Absolutely. Why is that so hard for some people to understand, in addition to the fact that the people concerned about getting bigger are extreme pear shapes, no matter how much weight they lose, they're always going to store more fat in their lower body than they'd like?

Welp......that didn't last long. Anybody got any whiteout?

I was gonna say...
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    SMARTEN UP:
    You cannot continuously grow a muscle on a calorie deficit. These things are shrinking over time, not growing, despite the occasional inch or 2 gained over a few days that disappears. That's not muscle appearing and disappearing. You get that with cardio too btw just in different areas.
    Bodys repair by sending glycogen to said areas...if you exercise, your body is going to try to help you, yes, you'll increase an inch in that area for a day or two, it's helping you look better and shrink, you're getting firmer, you're looking better, you're shrinking over time, you're getting stronger, get over it.
    Cardio is not the best way to lose fat, it is the best way to create a large calorie deficit in a short amount of time, thus perhaps the best weigh to lose WEIGHT (both muscle and fat). I love my hiking, and I do long ones, but when I lose weight with just cardio I lose a chunk of muscle to. Yep it takes strength to hike up a mountain for 20km, but that'll only get you so far. Progressive resistance training ensures that the weight I'm losing is going more towards fat, but I'm not going to give up either as I enjoy both now...even though I despised lifting at first.

I have skinny thighs (21 inches). I'm also a 'pear' who carries all my weight in my hips and but. I've gained 10 pounds since I last measured and I lift...and I'm on a calorie SURPLUS...and my legs are still 21 inches. Squats don't make you fat on a calorie deficit *boggle*.

♥ freakin ♥♥!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    SMARTEN UP:

♥ freakin ♥♥!!
    Weights, you'll triumph 'cause "dey tone ya". You might feel like you're taking up the volume of 675cc but really you're only taking up 600 :wink:

</biker>
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    SMARTEN UP:

♥ freakin ♥♥!!
    Weights, you'll triumph 'cause "dey tone ya". You might feel like you're taking up the volume of 675cc but really you're only taking up 600 :wink:

</biker>

LOL!!

You my dear...are a gem lol.
  • DuchessOfDark
    DuchessOfDark Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Am I right in saying then, after digesting this thread, that my recent glute focused bodyweight exercise routine (bridges/hip thrusts) a long with weight training/heavier kettlebells that has made my trousers TIGHT around my lifted but large butt and thighs could be down to a temp water retention?

Any wise comfort appreciated. :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Am I right in saying then, after digesting this thread, that my recent glute focused bodyweight exercise routine (bridges/hip thrusts) a long with weight training/heavier kettlebells that has made my trousers TIGHT around my lifted but large butt and thighs could be down to a temp water retention?

Any wise comfort appreciated. :-)

Yes - assuming you are in a deficit.

My jeans are distinctly tighter even immediately after a squat session. Some of the water retention may not be temporary per se however - if you keep doing resistance training, you will effectively always have some of the glycogen/water retention as your muscles will always repairing themselves.
  • DuchessOfDark
    DuchessOfDark Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's useful to know. Cheers, Hun.

To be brutally honest, I've been on holiday for two weeks and still training (bodyweight circuits) /swimming everyday so I will have been in surplus... so in which case it could also be fat/muscle?

Just don't want to stop glute work as it is firmer but def higher and protruding more. Have to wiggle into trousers! Loose around waist though.

Sigh. Got a stone to shift though.
    Gained half a stone in last 4 weeks; sloppy diet and eating at maintenance or as best I can...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

To be brutally honest, I've been on holiday for two weeks and still training (bodyweight circuits) /swimming everyday so I will have been in surplus... so in which case it could also be fat/muscle?

Just don't want to stop glute work as it is firmer but def higher and protruding more. Have to wiggle into trousers! Loose around waist though.

Gained half a stone in last 4 weeks; sloppy diet and eating at maintenance or as best I can...

The good news is that there is a limit to the water/glycogen retention. If you lose weight, your size will get smaller and will eventually overtake the slight size gain from the fluid in the muscles.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Also, it has nothing to do with your fruit shape.

Wonder how many inches would be gained if referencing a banana?? :laugh:
  • t1boese
    t1boese Posts: 1
    Options
    Have had the same problem so I switched to cardio and have dropped size ever since.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I put on fat like a pear shaped girl and it is totally emasculating let me tell you. I gained inches as well, at first, just like you.

Six months later I can wear skinny style pants, and I think of my legs as a bit on the skinny side.

So as a pear shaped man, let me throw some empathy your way, but also a warning not to give up on squats, or in six months you will realize your mistake.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options

I've been eating at maintenance/slight surplus for the past three months whilst I took up heavy lifting.

Initially put on (like you did) about half a stone and felt generally 'bigger' all over (including lots of unsolicited comments from friends, co-workers and strangers about my 'amazing muscles' - a bit unnerving if you're female). However in the last few weeks I appear to have leaned down and come just under my pre- starting weights weight, and my clothes are beginning to fit more loosely again. Will never lose the fat face though. Sigh.

But I digress. The message is that all of the above was likely due to glycogen/water retention for repair; over time this has all evened out. Also I think weight training raises your BMR so that eventually you can lose weight at a smaller deficit (or in my case, seemingly no deficit).
  • laurencastelloe
    Options
    Deleting my comment also! Just saw this was an incredibly old feed.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    FYI, OP deactivated...long ago.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Deleting my comment also! Just saw this was an incredibly old feed.

best. first post. EVAH
  • uhoo22
    uhoo22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm glad old posts like this stick around because the information is still relevant down the road. I found the information very helpful! Thanks all for your comments.