Want a body like Jessica Biel?

Options

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    She's trained by Jason Walsh. And both he and Jessica have talked with the press about what she does for exercise.

This page goes into detail: http://www.popworkouts.com/jessica-biel-workout-secrets-thin/

This further proves my point... for lifting she is in the 8-15 rep range and nowhere does it specify the weight she is using.
  • InsolentMint
    Options
    I can understand everything he's saying, but I'm still scared to lift. As a female who is 5 foot 9, the idea of doing something that might challenge my femininity is a real mental block.

I'm 6ft. :smile:
    Lifting is making my body more toned but also more feminine looking. I've always been very slender, but I'm gaining more shape and curves without looking 'bigger' at all.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I can understand everything he's saying, but I'm still scared to lift. As a female who is 5 foot 9, the idea of doing something that might challenge my femininity is a real mental block.

I'm also 5'9". First, that's not really that tall. 6' plus is tall. 5'9" is just above average. Second lifting doesn't challenge femininity unless you have a weird 1950s definition of it. Pretty sure it's not unfeminine to be strong and awesome. I am still very "curvy" (as that is my natural shape but being naturally uncurvy is also feminine). Why is strong and healthy manly? Are we supposed to be weak and frail?

5'9" is NOT just above average. The average woman is five foot four.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm 5'6. I wear 3" heels and I can see over the majority of women's heads and a lot of the men. I used to be self conscious about being "taller than average", but I love it at concerts :bigsmile:
  • InsolentMint
    Options

Really? Man chicks are short in the US. *Is viking*
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    20130523_235552_zps9b6eae21.jpg[/URL]

Oh hai, fellow bellydancer! Is that a Bella?

I'm mostly retired now (kids ruined my stomach, so unless I get a tummy tuck, I won't be able to gig professionally again), but when my husband and I met, I was gigging 5 or 6 nights a week, 9-10 gigs a week. :)

1146719_10151906803230984_72941375_n.jpg

Anyway. As you were. :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Oh hai, fellow bellydancer! Is that a Bella?

I'm mostly retired now (kids ruined my stomach, so unless I get a tummy tuck, I won't be able to gig professionally again), but when my husband and I met, I was gigging 5 or 6 nights a week, 9-10 gigs a week. :)

1146719_10151906803230984_72941375_n.jpg

Anyway. As you were. :D

LOL I couldn't come up with the monies for a bella- plus I'm not actually partial to her beading style. That's a second hand Eshta I picked up. I actually really like it. LOL forgive my funny face LMAO... I was so happy about the costume. :D It make me happy.

all week long is pretty intense- I definitely don't gig that often- I have a full time job and I work at a gym- so the paid dancing- it's not that serious- I wouldn't consider myself a full blown professional- gigging is hard- and I love what I do- so I don't want to take my joy out by making it a "job job" so I insist I get paid pro- rates and maintain myself as a professional- but I don't market to outside places. Too much work and joy sucking out of my dance. LOL Maybe in a few years I'll get more settled and head that path- commercial dancing can lacks what I really love about performing.

yes- but lets not side track ze lifting thread with belly dance mumbo jumbo. just showing- my lifting- doesn't make me look like less of a woman- and I get plenty o tips to prove that they like what they see :D
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

yes- but lets not side track ze lifting thread with belly dance mumbo jumbo. just showing- my lifting- doesn't make me look like less of a woman- and I get plenty o tips to prove that they like what they see :D

Awesome. I didn't lift when I was gigging all the time, but I wish I had - might have helped even out some of my muscle imbalances. But I know several of the top dancers in my area are also lifters, and yeah, doesn't seem to hurt them any!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Good article for what it really takes to get your hot celebrity "toned" body... and some big ol' truth bombs:

http://jasonferruggia.com/how-to-get-a-body-like-jessica-biel/

Good stuff!

Everything you've read in women's fitness magazines is wrong.
    lol... but very true.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    keep in mind not everyone WANTS to be fit.

Some people just don't want to be fat.

And it's fair and reasonable to let them have that. I personally don't like that idea- but it is what it is.
    I couldn't agree more. This is an important thing that many people fail to consider.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    JoRocka and Weese, that's hot, just sayin :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    lol being hot is a total side affect of just OWNING your body. ;)

it's a nice perk. LOL
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This is another great article about what's touted in magazines vs what really works: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dana-mcmahan/women-weight-lifting_b_3429709.html

Snippet from the article: "But you aren't likely to read this message in a glossy women's magazine at the checkout. I've pitched variations of this story for two years to mainstream women's media. And the biggies won't touch the word powerlifting with a 10 foot pole. Even stories that purport to tell women to lift heavy run photos alongside of workouts featuring the lightest weights in the gym (though clearly there's a hunger to hear this -- that story clocked in 10,000 Facebook likes!)."
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy?hl=twiggy

/thread
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I liked the articles premise but that guys writing style is horrendous it's a struggle to read.

Lift weights + be awesome, nuff said.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how you define femininity. I am not a women so I am not one to judge but I can speculate.

If you define femininity is such a way that you must be dainty then I can see how lifting might threaten that. I personally think that you could define it in such a way that you could lift and still be very feminine if not more so. If you think about it all you would be doing is strengthening the characteristics that you already possess. Since you are a women it is completely reasonable to think of yourself as becoming more feminine as you progress.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

What does height have to do with it?

growing up half a foot taller than all of the boys and being told by society that women are supposed to be shorter and smaller than men in order to be "cute" can make one develop a complex.

I'm 5'0" and have always tortured myself about not being model tall status. We all have our insecurities :)

I would challenge you to broaden your perceptions about what it means to be female and "feminine". When I started weight lifting in high school it was intimating being around all the guys on the free weight floor, but as I got more comfortable with it, I found it quite liberating. And here's the thing - I didn't get bulky. In fact, if anything, I got the muscle definition I always saw in the women's health magazines that I'd spent hours staring at (which btw, I do far less of now). I look thinner and more fit when I lift weights and not in a manly-wow-she's-doing-'roids kind of way.

To me, femininity is in how you carry yourself - how you walk into a room, how you speak, how you present yourself, not just about how you look. I challenge you to not keep yourself locked up in a perception that was formed when you were much younger. You might find it really liberating.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I definitely like the message behind the article but how is this different to a guy following a pro bodybuilder's routine to attempt to look like him?

You need to work with what you are given and strive for the best you that you can be. Really is no point in chasing other people's physique's IMO. Fine to have a role model or something but be yourself!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed that article! Just started going to pump class so I can get a good idea of form and moves (and hopefully build a good base from which to start REAL lifting), but I hope to take the bold step to lifting progressively heavier soon. Just nerves and lack of know-how, but I"ll get there!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I really enjoyed that article! Just started going to pump class so I can get a good idea of form and moves (and hopefully build a good base from which to start REAL lifting), but I hope to take the bold step to lifting progressively heavier soon. Just nerves and lack of know-how, but I"ll get there!

body pump is nothing like real lifting.

just an FYI.